Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 30th), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: A tanú, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Rest in Peace

Ivan0716

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by Ivan0716 » November 26th, 2018, 10:06 am

RIP, always forget he was so young, mostly because I still find it inconceivable that he made The Conformist when he was in his frigging 20s.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » November 26th, 2018, 11:57 am

rnilsson19 wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:48 am
And now Bernardo Bertolucci has died, aged 77.
Terrible news, I kept hoping he would do at least one more mini-comeback. He was one of the most important directors for me when I first got into film, and The Conformist is still one of my all-time favorite film - even a candidate for my top 10.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 26th, 2018, 3:34 pm

well, no surprise with either of those - BB was in poor health for a while and Roeg was 90. Two directors I've regularly thought of sampling more from, in both cases I've seen several (but not all) of their major works, but not for years and years, and while I see some genius I'm not yet personally taken with either, overall. No films from either in my overall top list and neither director is on my favorite directors list, but I think that's more due to my own neglect than anything else. Have wanted to rewatch Il conformista and The Last Emperor for a long time, and Don't Look Now. At the moment Performance is probably my favorite film from either though that too demands another viewing and should have gotten one right after I saw it the first time, quite the mindfuck.

Let's just hope bad news doesn't come in threes this time.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » November 26th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Sad to hear about both Roeg and Bertolucci, each made one film which count among my absolute favourites (Don't Look Now & The Conformist) and numerous other interesting ones besides.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 27th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Stephen Hillenburg
(1961-2018)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 3rd, 2018, 8:00 pm

New Zealand director Geoff Murphy has died at 80. He started out his career in his native country, making films such as Utu and The Quiet Earth, probably his two best-known works, before succumbing to the Hollywood lure for a while where his credits include films such as Young Guns 2, Freejack and Under Siege 2, but he eventually returned to NZ to do second-unit work on The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainmen ... d=12170762

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » December 3rd, 2018, 8:37 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 8:00 pm
New Zealand director Geoff Murphy has died at 80. He started out his career in his native country, making films such as Utu and The Quiet Earth, probably his two best-known works, before succumbing to the Hollywood lure for a while where his credits include films such as Young Guns 2, Freejack and Under Siege 2, but he eventually returned to NZ to do second-unit work on The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainmen ... d=12170762
I've seen only two of his movies. Under Siege is easily the most memorable one for me, mainly because of Steven obviously, but it has an epic quote as well:
SpoilerShow
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 4th, 2018, 12:44 am

I quite enjoyed Under Siege 2. It has peak Eric Bogosian and peak Everett McGill. Seagal, on the other hand, is just as bad as he usually is.

Have a look:

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 4th, 2018, 3:07 am

I really liked The Quiet Earth, and Under Siege 2 was kind of a guilty pleasure when I was a teen.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on December 5th, 2018, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 4th, 2018, 9:23 am

:rip:
Tumblr
19 Feb 07 - 17 Dec 18

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 4th, 2018, 10:30 am

yo for real wtf.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » December 4th, 2018, 10:50 am

xianjiro wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:23 am
:rip:
Tumblr
19 Feb 07 - 17 Dec 18

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 4th, 2018, 3:35 pm

*post flagged*

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » December 7th, 2018, 7:42 pm

blocho wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 12:44 am
Seagal, on the other hand, is just as bad as he usually is.
How dare you! :'(

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 14th, 2018, 5:15 am

Sondra Locke, who I remember best as the naif in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Unfortunately, she will probably be best remembered not for her roles but for being treated terribly by Clint Eastwood.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 14th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Sad to hear about Sondra Locke.

Just read that the Finnish director Matti Kassila has died as well, aged 94. He was probably most known for the four Inspector Palmu films. Winner of seven Jussi Awards throughout his lifetime also.
That's all, folks!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 14th, 2018, 5:50 pm

blocho wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 5:15 am
Sondra Locke, who I remember best as the naif in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Unfortunately, she will probably be best remembered not for her roles but for being treated terribly by Clint Eastwood.
Learning about how Eastwood treated her was certainly one of the many lessons I've gotten about how to view your "heroes' - or rather, why you shouldn't have heroes at all. I still love Eastwood as a filmmaker, but it's become abundantly clear that he's a pretty shitty person, like a lot of other "great men" (and some, but probably many fewer, great women, of course). And we'll never know what kind of filmmaker Locke could have been had she had the kinds of chances he got.

Good little piece here:

https://jezebel.com/this-is-how-a-woman ... 1831097072

albajos

Post by albajos » December 14th, 2018, 11:15 pm

Eastwood should only yell at chairs.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » December 18th, 2018, 7:26 pm

albajos

Post by albajos » December 18th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Better see some Laverne and Shirley today then.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 21st, 2018, 6:42 am

Kazimierz Kutz - the highly-regarded and hugely significant film-maker, theatre director and, latterly, political representative for Silesia in the Polish Senate has died at the age of 89.

https://culture.pl/en/artist/kazimierz-kutz
https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/di ... -dies-3863

That's all, folks!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » December 21st, 2018, 9:30 am

I have only seen Nobody's Calling, but it was a very strong psychological piece with a new wave air to it. It was a little rough around the edges, but I also believe it was his second or third feature. A great film that showed a lot of promise.

I actually have Pearl in the Crown and will watch it now. Been meaning to for a long time.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 21st, 2018, 11:01 am

St. Gloede wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 9:30 am
I have only seen Nobody's Calling, but it was a very strong psychological piece with a new wave air to it. It was a little rough around the edges, but I also believe it was his second or third feature. A great film that showed a lot of promise.

I actually have Pearl in the Crown and will watch it now. Been meaning to for a long time.
I haven't seen anything from him myself but he's someone whose work has intrigued me a lot for a number of years now. 'Ludzie z pociagu' / 'Night Train' is the first of his works I heard of and one I'm particularly looking forward to seeing (someday!).
That's all, folks!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » December 21st, 2018, 12:03 pm

Pearl in the Crown is definitely worth seeing as well. Stanchly directed if not dragging on a little in the second half. 7.5. I gave Nobody's Calling 8.

Night Train looks really interesting, but could not find it anywhere. :(

(Are you sure you're not mixing it with Pociaq / Night Train made by Jerzy Kawalerowicz two years earlier?)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 21st, 2018, 12:13 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 12:03 pm
Pearl in the Crown is definitely worth seeing as well. Stanchly directed if not dragging on a little in the second half. 7.5. I gave Nobody's Calling 8.

(Are you sure you're not mixing it with Pociaq / Night Train made by Jerzy Kawalerowicz two years earlier?)
Oh, no. Absolutely not! I've seen and loved the ambiance to the Kawalerowicz, with the strange musicality and motifs on the train and in the night-time countryside. A haunting and unsettling film with both tenderness and the intrusion of sharpness. Hope to like Kutz's similarly-titled film as much. It used to be available online, broken up into parts. Presumably the rights holder has had the offending uploads taken down.
That's all, folks!

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 21st, 2018, 7:05 pm

Donald Moffat, character actor from The Thing and The Right Stuff, dead at 87.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » December 21st, 2018, 7:34 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 12:13 pm
St. Gloede wrote:

Oh, no. Absolutely not! I've seen and loved the ambiance to the Kawalerowicz, with the strange musicality and motifs on the train and in the night-time countryside. A haunting and unsettling film with both tenderness and the intrusion of sharpness. Hope to like Kutz's similarly-titled film as much. It used to be available online, broken up into parts. Presumably the rights holder has had the offending uploads taken down.
Curious that they are both called Night Train in English. Pociąg (the Polish language doesn't have a 'q') means simply 'train', Ludzie z pociągu means '(the) people from the train'.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 21st, 2018, 8:22 pm

Lammetje wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 7:34 pm
December 21st, 2018, 12:13 pm
St. Gloede wrote:

Curious that they are both called Night Train in English. Pociąg (the Polish language doesn't have a 'q') means simply 'train', Ludzie z pociągu means '(the) people from the train'.
Thanks for pointing that out. I glanced at IMDb this morning upon hearing of his death and hastily (and absent-mindedly) used the English-language title that showed up first. I do actually know the film as 'The People from the Train' and MUBI, which is generally pretty accurate when it comes to such things, indeed has the film listed under that title.

Putting two and two together several years ago after seeing the Kawalerowicz film and the Yugoslavian documentary short 'Ljudi sa Neretve' allowed me to guess the correct English-language title! Obvious links there between Serbo-Croat and Polish!
That's all, folks!

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 21st, 2018, 8:51 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 7:05 pm
Donald Moffat, character actor from The Thing and The Right Stuff, dead at 87.
Aw, bummer. Makes me want to rewatch The Thing again for the umpteenth time.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 21st, 2018, 9:20 pm

Moffat was a solid actor and his presence alone makes the Logan's Run TV series at least palatable. Great in The Thing too of course but then everybody's great in that. RIP.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 27th, 2018, 5:29 am

I'm always moved by TCM's annual tribute to those who have passed away during the year. Here's their 2018 piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ewT7_NrGwM
That's all, folks!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 27th, 2018, 7:01 am

December 27th, 2018, 5:29 am
I'm always moved by TCM's annual tribute to those who have passed away during the year. Here's their 2018 piece:

Thanks for sharing! I've never watched any of those, save for what they air during the Oscars ceremony. So that was easily the most interesting one I've ever seen.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 27th, 2018, 7:22 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 7:01 am
December 27th, 2018, 5:29 am

Thanks for sharing! I've never watched any of those, save for what they air during the Oscars ceremony. So that was easily the most interesting one I've ever seen.
Yes, they tend to be quite nicely put together. They obviously miss a few notable people but that's understandable.

Hope you're having a nice Christmas, Maxwell!
That's all, folks!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 27th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Jorge Grau, Spanish writer-director best known for his 1974 filmed-in-Britain zombie movie No profanar el sueño de los muertos aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. Also a painter, he was 88.

http://cinemania.elmundo.es/noticias/mu ... rastienda/

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 28th, 2018, 3:53 am

OldAle1 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 2:38 pm
Jorge Grau, Spanish writer-director best known for his 1974 filmed-in-Britain zombie movie No profanar el sueño de los muertos aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. Also a painter, he was 88.

http://cinemania.elmundo.es/noticias/mu ... rastienda/
It's also known as The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue. I saw it recently, it's remarkably good for a low-budget 70's horror and quite good in its own right.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 28th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Yeah I saw that in October as well, and I'm sure a few others did as it hit two challenges. Really solid film. Looks like a lot of his other stuff is pretty obscure and probably hard to find subbed, but I'm sure I'll try to track one or two down at some point.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 29th, 2018, 9:58 am

The Danish animator, cartoonist and jazz musician Børge Ring has died, aged 97. An Oscar winner in 1985 for the touching 'Anna & Bella'.

https://www.awn.com/news/academy-award- ... ng-dies-97

That's all, folks!

frbrown

Post by frbrown » December 29th, 2018, 7:17 pm

A sample of his animation, and his work in a jazz band:

RBG

Post by RBG » December 29th, 2018, 8:01 pm

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » December 30th, 2018, 2:59 pm

June Whitfield, 93, star of radio and tv comedy including Absolutely Fabulous, and at least 4 Carry On films has died, RIP. :rip:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... es-aged-93

She even had a part in Friends.