Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 39 released October 16th: Best Films of 2020)
iCinema Magazine: Submit articles and ideas (We are ready to go live, we just need the content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Sign up to be a Juror
Polls: 500<400 (Results), 1967 (Results), 2009 (Oct 29th), 1980's (Nov 3rd)
Challenges: Horror, France, Each iCM List
Managers Cup: Round 1 Schedule, 1E: sacmersault vs sol vs Mario Gaborović (Nov 7th)

Rest in Peace

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

oof
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Long good life, but still sad - especially the thought that this generation is already starting to disappear.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

"Starting" to disappear? JLG is the only really major director of the era still left, and there aren't that many of the big name actors left either - Léaud and Deneuve, and Rivette's main muse Bulle Ogier... who else? Oh, Anouk Aimée, had to look her up to see that she was still around. Michael Lonsdale died a year ago, Jeanne Moreau and Stéphane Audran a bit before that, most others longer ago still.

But Belmondo is certainly as big a name as any of them, and a unique personality. Been a while since I've seen anything with him, I think I might have to find something to honor him tonight.
clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey »

@Oldale: Alain Delon is still around at 85. Michel Bouquet is also alive, turning 96 in november. But yeah I can't think of anyone beside those two.

:rip: Bébel.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

clemmetarey wrote: September 6th, 2021, 4:47 pm @Oldale: Alain Delon is still around at 85. Michel Bouquet is also alive, turning 96 in november. But yeah I can't think of anyone beside those two.

:rip: Bébel.
Yeah I'm sure there are others - just remembered Brigitte Bardot, though her relation to the New Wave really just rests on one film. Probably many other lesser-known names, and also some second-tier directors like Luc Moullet. But the generation is passing, sad but of course inevitable.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Apu wrote: September 6th, 2021, 2:51 pm Jean-Paul Belmondo (1933–2021)
:rip:

There was something about Belmondo that made you like him no matter what.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

OldAle1 wrote: September 6th, 2021, 4:36 pm "Starting" to disappear? JLG is the only really major director of the era still left, and there aren't that many of the big name actors left either - Léaud and Deneuve, and Rivette's main muse Bulle Ogier... who else? Oh, Anouk Aimée, had to look her up to see that she was still around. Michael Lonsdale died a year ago, Jeanne Moreau and Stéphane Audran a bit before that, most others longer ago still.

But Belmondo is certainly as big a name as any of them, and a unique personality. Been a while since I've seen anything with him, I think I might have to find something to honor him tonight.
That's what I meant actually, they are close to being entirely gone, and it is a somewhat recent thing, especially with the actors. Karina for instance died in '19, Audran in' 18, Riva, Moreau and Wiazemsky in '17, etc.

As for other big names, not yet mentioned, who are still alive:

Anouk Aimée
Brigitte Bardot
Jean-Louis Trintignant

In terms of the directors, Rohmer, Chabrol, Marker, Resnais, Rivette and Varda were all live into the 10s, which is getting longer and longer ago, but feels recent.

Note: Moullet and Rozier are still alive.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

A huge loss. Belmondo was certainly one of the most charismatic actors I have ever seen.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

What a day: Michael K. Williams, better known as Omar from The Wire, dead at 54

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235009002/
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Torgo wrote: September 6th, 2021, 8:37 pm What a day: Michael K. Williams, better known as Omar from The Wire, dead at 54

:( :( Damn. I just watched him recently in Lovecraft Country, and he was great as usual. Only 54 too…super sad.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

What the fuck. This sucks immensely.

He was excellent in everything I ever saw him in.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I was just telling a friend that this feels like the most active year for high-profile deaths since 2016. I have no way of knowing if that's statistically true, but it sure seems that way to me.

RIP Belmondo and Williams.
🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

DAMN, what a loss. :rip:
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Late as usual, but my favorite Belmondo is the 1995 Les Miserables - sort of meta.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

3eyes wrote: September 6th, 2021, 11:30 pm Late as usual, but my favorite Belmondo is the 1995 Les Miserables - sort of meta.
The first Belmondo move I ever saw, as a 13 year old. I only dimly recall the movie now, but I remember liking it a lot.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: September 6th, 2021, 9:25 pm
Torgo wrote: September 6th, 2021, 8:37 pm What a day: Michael K. Williams, better known as Omar from The Wire, dead at 54

:( :( Damn. I just watched him recently in Lovecraft Country, and he was great as usual. Only 54 too…super sad.
Agreed - Omar and Chalky were such great characters. 😭

Wonder what the CoD was ... so far not read anything about it. :(
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I'm surprised that Belmondo didn't get a mention in the news over here. Or maybe I'm not surprised. :(
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

Nino Castelnuovo (Rocco & His Brothers, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, English Patient) dead at 84.
yllow

Post by yllow »

Who was he in The English Patient?
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

He played D'Agostino (I haven't seen the movie)
yllow

Post by yllow »

Thanks, saw the film some months ago but not that long ago, can’t remember his character from the name.
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

Guy, je t'aime, ne me quitte pas :(
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Comedy icon Norm Macdonald, 61. Lengthy private battle with cancer. Truly a one of a kind talent.

🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Late to the party, but it seems appropriate to post this here:

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

kongs_speech wrote: September 14th, 2021, 7:11 pm Comedy icon Norm Macdonald, 61. Lengthy private battle with cancer. Truly a one of a kind talent.
Holy shit! Obviously did not see that coming. :( His humor seemed to be kind of an acquired taste for some, but I loved his style. His sort of “anti-roast” performance at one of those Comedy Central Roasts (the Bob Saget one I think) was a classic. His stand-up special “Me Doing Stand-Up” was a favorite of mine. And he would usually kill on any late-night talk show appearance (I think he was at his best on Conan, though). And he was easily my favorite Weekend Update anchor on SNL.

I liked his Tarantino impression on SNL:

RIP, Turd Ferguson.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on September 14th, 2021, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

kongs_speech wrote: September 14th, 2021, 7:11 pm Comedy icon Norm Macdonald, 61. Lengthy private battle with cancer. Truly a one of a kind talent.
Not my favourite comedian, but that was depressing news. One of a kind indeed.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

https://chng.it/ccHDKQ6VLC

I doubt there's much chance of success, but being that the R-rated footage of Dirty Work exists, I'm trying something here.
🏳️‍⚧️
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

RIP Norm Macdonald, too deadpan or...something for me, I dunno. I probably wasn't watching the show very regularly when he was on, but I certainly remember him - distinctive at the least if not my particular cup of tea. 61 is too young obviously in any case.

Haven't seen Dirty Work; as a general rule if anybody from SNL is involved in a movie, it's on the avoid list - sure there are some exceptions (mostly involving Bill Murray) but I think probably Groundhog Day is the only thing I'd save from a fire if they were all burning up.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

That Tarantino impression was funny...I had forgotten about that.
Nopros
Donator

Post by Nopros »

kongs_speech wrote: September 14th, 2021, 8:15 pm https://chng.it/ccHDKQ6VLC

I doubt there's much chance of success, but being that the R-rated footage of Dirty Work exists, I'm trying something here.
Signed! Without a doubt my favorite comedian. Rest in piece :(
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Nopros wrote: September 14th, 2021, 9:16 pm
kongs_speech wrote: September 14th, 2021, 8:15 pm https://chng.it/ccHDKQ6VLC

Signed! Without a doubt my favorite comedian. Rest in piece :(
Thank you! :cheers:
🏳️‍⚧️
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Oh damn! RIP Norm.

Dirty Work was pretty fun. It's actually the genesis of my favorite way to lie to my wife:

Sam: Watch, I'll show you. Mitch, uh, did you ever rob a bank?
Mitch: [definitely] No.
Sam: Did you ever climb Mount Everest?
Mitch: [more definitely] No.
Sam: Did you ever say that you can see why women find Sean Connery sexy?
Mitch: [with a huge, smirking grin] Nooooooo.

To this day, I'll do the long drawn out "Nooooooo..." to my wife, who immediately calls me a liar.

And how have we not mentioned Burn Reynolds on Celebrity Jeopardy?!?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

maxwelldeux wrote: September 14th, 2021, 9:34 pm

And how have we not mentioned Burn Reynolds on Celebrity Jeopardy?!?
You mean Turd Ferguson? Yeah, he deserves props for that. Watching the Brando/Donahue/Reynolds one right now.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Norm McDonald is the reason behind my unwavering disdain for Frank Stallone.

I really liked his humor. I know he would never be a universally liked comedian (remember when the head of NBC wanted his removal from Weekend Update?) , but I got his wavelength.

I didn't know he was sick. RIP Canadian funnyman.
Owner of three platinum awards
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Spoiler
Thanks for your attached Youtube link. As a non-American, I had only so much exposure to 90s & 00s late night shows / stand-up and in fact hadn't heard of Norm before your post, so I gave it a try.
Man, he was terrific! I browsed through a dozen of clips or so and became a fan. Brilliant chemistry with Conan also. His team uploaded a HD version of the classic moth joke yesterday - I just had to watch it again now. :lol:
Some other great ones: Uncle Hector / Kitchener Leslie and of course The Professor of Logic

Weird how much publicity he's getting now where he's gone.
RIP.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

While we’re still talking about Norm, here’s one of my absolute favorite stand-up bits of his that I just re-watched:

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
sebby

Post by sebby »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: September 16th, 2021, 5:06 am While we’re still talking about Norm, here’s one of my absolute favorite stand-up bits of his that I just re-watched:

I was going to post this one myself. One of the greatest jokes I've ever heard. Probably the best comic of his generation.
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

Torgo wrote: September 16th, 2021, 1:59 am
Spoiler
Thanks for your attached Youtube link. As a non-American, I had only so much exposure to 90s & 00s late night shows / stand-up and in fact hadn't heard of Norm before your post, so I gave it a try.
Man, he was terrific! I browsed through a dozen of clips or so and became a fan. Brilliant chemistry with Conan also. His team uploaded a HD version of the classic moth joke yesterday - I just had to watch it again now. :lol:
Some other great ones: Uncle Hector / Kitchener Leslie and of course The Professor of Logic

Weird how much publicity he's getting now where he's gone.
RIP.
I grew up in and have lived more than half my life in Kitchener, it's nice to see it left an impression on him. :lol: I don't know it for a fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if the germ for this bit came from Jack London's story Holding Her Down, about a hobo in Ottawa riding the rails and heading west (what's a few cities down the line and west of Ottawa, where Norm cut his teeth in comedy? Kitchener) being chased and harassed by the train's crew.

I remember my sister and I watching this set on TV way back in 1991 (I had to look at up - over 30 years ago, my god!) and just losing it. Norm's been my favourite comic since then, what a mind, what a delivery, what a way with words, what fearlessness. Pure genius as far as I'm concerned. I remember how thrilled I was when he landed the Weekend Update job on SNL and how bitter I was when they fired him. Man, it's sad to see him go, I love him so much.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Jane Powell, American actress, singer and dancer, 92. Born Suzanne Lorraine Burce, she started out singing and dancing as a child in her hometown of Portland, OR, before moving to LA as a teenager upon winning a contract with MGM. She took her stage name from the character she played in her first film, 1944's Song of the Open Road. Her film career was not huge - just 22 films - but she was a top-tier or nearly top star for over a decade, nearly always playing in musicals, the best-known of which are probably Royal Wedding and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. She turned to theater and TV by the end of the 50s, working regularly into the 1990s and occasionally until the early 2010s.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/jane-powel ... 234838168/
Here's to the fools who dream.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

I saw Song of the Open Road in the theater. Don't remember much else about Jane Powell, though.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!