Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 39 released October 16th: Best Films of 2020)
iCinema Magazine: Submit articles and ideas (We are ready to go live, we just need the content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Sign up to be a Juror
Polls: 500<400 (Results), 1967 (Results), 2009 (Oct 29th), 1980's (Nov 3rd)
Challenges: Horror, France, Each iCM List
Managers Cup: Round 1 Schedule, 1E: sacmersault vs sol vs Mario Gaborović (Nov 7th)

Rest in Peace

Post Reply
Life as Fiction
Posts: 767
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Rest in Peace

#1

Post by Life as Fiction »

Just realized Amos Vogel passed away on April 24.

EDIT: Not May!
Last edited by Life as Fiction on May 4th, 2012, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31782
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2

Post by mightysparks »

Life as Fiction on May 4 2012, 01:14:55 PM wrote:Just realized Amos Vogel passed away on May 24.
Think you mean April.. unless he's planning to die in a few weeks :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Image
Nopros
Donator
Posts: 2269
Joined: May 16th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#3

Post by Nopros »

He was a great guy, rest in piece, Amos. :(
ormazd
Posts: 1757
Joined: May 7th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Contact:

#4

Post by ormazd »

Adam Yauch

Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys died today at 47.

And, yes, it is film related.
Beastie Boys Anthology
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13961
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#5

Post by brokenface »

MCA :(
George Bailey
Posts: 3237
Joined: May 7th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#6

Post by George Bailey »

brokenface on May 4 2012, 02:14:25 PM wrote:YMCA :(
Edited for you :D
George Bailey
Posts: 3237
Joined: May 7th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#7

Post by George Bailey »

mightysparks on May 4 2012, 01:26:29 PM wrote:
Life as Fiction on May 4 2012, 01:14:55 PM wrote:Just realized Amos Vogel passed away on May 24.
Think you mean April.. unless he's planning to die in a few weeks :P
He died on my birthday!!!!!
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13961
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#8

Post by brokenface »

George Bailey on May 4 2012, 02:47:14 PM wrote:
brokenface on May 4 2012, 02:14:25 PM wrote:YMCA :(
Edited for you :D
Not cool :(
Life as Fiction
Posts: 767
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

#9

Post by Life as Fiction »

brokenface on May 4 2012, 05:15:15 PM wrote:
George Bailey on May 4 2012, 02:47:14 PM wrote:
brokenface on May 4 2012, 02:14:25 PM wrote:YMCA :(
Edited for you :D
Not cool :(
That's some ill communication, George Bailey. And I'm not sure you're licensed to ill. It's possible, however, you can purchase a license at Paul's boutique.
George Bailey
Posts: 3237
Joined: May 7th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#10

Post by George Bailey »

Wait, sorry :( had no idea MCA was a person!
Life as Fiction
Posts: 767
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

#11

Post by Life as Fiction »

George Bailey on May 4 2012, 06:30:45 PM wrote:Wait, sorry :( had no idea MCA was a person!
Indeed, next time, check your head before you hello nasty. Otherwise, you'll be sent to the five boroughs forever.
whymse
Posts: 125
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#12

Post by whymse »

ormazd on May 4 2012, 02:10:59 PM wrote:And, yes, it is film related.
Beastie Boys Anthology
To give more film relation...

He started Oscilloscope Pictures, which is a great independent film distribution company.

NY Times Article
Life as Fiction
Posts: 767
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

#14

Post by Life as Fiction »

monty on May 30 2012, 06:53:19 AM wrote:Japanese film director Kaneto Shindo passed away yesterday at 100 . RIP
Really need to watch more of his films. Sad that he has to die for me to do that.
User avatar
monty
Posts: 12793
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#15

Post by monty »

Life as Fiction on May 30 2012, 03:11:26 PM wrote:
monty on May 30 2012, 06:53:19 AM wrote:Japanese film director Kaneto Shindo passed away yesterday at 100 . RIP
Really need to watch more of his films. Sad that he has to die for me to do that.
Indeed. Btw, why is there no Shindo filmography on ICM?
SanderO
Posts: 1012
Joined: May 23rd, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Haarlem, Netherlands
Contact:

#16

Post by SanderO »

monty on May 30 2012, 03:29:14 PM wrote:
Life as Fiction on May 30 2012, 03:11:26 PM wrote:
monty on May 30 2012, 06:53:19 AM wrote:Japanese film director Kaneto Shindo passed away yesterday at 100 . RIP
Really need to watch more of his films. Sad that he has to die for me to do that.
Indeed. Btw, why is there no Shindo filmography on ICM?
No idea, I expected somebody would have put it up with all the love Hachi has been getting :whistling:
User avatar
monty
Posts: 12793
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#17

Post by monty »

SanderO on May 30 2012, 03:38:58 PM wrote:
monty on May 30 2012, 03:29:14 PM wrote:
Life as Fiction on May 30 2012, 03:11:26 PM wrote:Really need to watch more of his films. Sad that he has to die for me to do that.
Indeed. Btw, why is there no Shindo filmography on ICM?
No idea, I expected somebody would have put it up with all the love Hachi has been getting :whistling:
Any Premium members who will step up to the plate?
User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13116
Joined: May 26th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#18

Post by bal3x »

Done:
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/kanet ... phy/bal3x/
Didn't realize the guy directed Onibaba!
User avatar
monty
Posts: 12793
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#19

Post by monty »

bal3x on May 30 2012, 04:17:24 PM wrote:Done:
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/kanet ... phy/bal3x/
Didn't realize the guy directed Onibaba!
Nicely done, bal3x. A measly 5 checks for me means I've got a lot of catching up to do...
Kowry
Posts: 3033
Joined: July 3rd, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

#20

Post by Kowry »

Only seen Onibaba from him, but loved it, so I probably should probably explore more.
Kowry
Posts: 3033
Joined: July 3rd, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

#21

Post by Kowry »

Hmm, besides Onibaba only two of his movies are official checks - Hadaka no shima (3 lists) and Yabu no naka no kuroneko (2 lists), the latter of which I happen to have on my hard drive. Both seem interesting, put them on my watchlist.
User avatar
monty
Posts: 12793
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#22

Post by monty »

Kowry on May 30 2012, 04:37:59 PM wrote:Hmm, besides Onibaba only two of his movies are official checks - Hadaka no shima (3 lists) and Yabu no naka no kuroneko (2 lists), the latter of which I happen to have on my hard drive. Both seem interesting, put them on my watchlist.
Yeah, let's for heaven's sake not explore beyond the official ICM lists. :lol:
Kowry
Posts: 3033
Joined: July 3rd, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

#23

Post by Kowry »

monty on May 30 2012, 04:50:17 PM wrote:
Kowry on May 30 2012, 04:37:59 PM wrote:Hmm, besides Onibaba only two of his movies are official checks - Hadaka no shima (3 lists) and Yabu no naka no kuroneko (2 lists), the latter of which I happen to have on my hard drive. Both seem interesting, put them on my watchlist.
Yeah, let's for heaven's sake not explore beyond the official ICM lists. :lol:
Well, I meant that I'm going to check them first, not that I'm going to stop there :P But I admit I'm more eager to watch those on official lists, because there's so much stuff I'd want to watch that I'm having a hard time prioritizing them already. But of those of Shindo's films not on any official list Children of Hiroshima looks interesting so I could also put that on my watchlist.
User avatar
monty
Posts: 12793
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#24

Post by monty »

Kowry on May 30 2012, 05:09:11 PM wrote:
monty on May 30 2012, 04:50:17 PM wrote:
Kowry on May 30 2012, 04:37:59 PM wrote:Hmm, besides Onibaba only two of his movies are official checks - Hadaka no shima (3 lists) and Yabu no naka no kuroneko (2 lists), the latter of which I happen to have on my hard drive. Both seem interesting, put them on my watchlist.
Yeah, let's for heaven's sake not explore beyond the official ICM lists. :lol:
Well, I meant that I'm going to check them first, not that I'm going to stop there :P But I admit I'm more eager to watch those on official lists, because there's so much stuff I'd want to watch that I'm having a hard time prioritizing them already. But of those of Shindo's films not on any official list Children of Hiroshima looks interesting so I could also put that on my watchlist.
What about Hokusai manga aka Edo Porn? Looks very promising.

If you can find it, Ningen (1962) is well worth watching.
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13961
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#25

Post by brokenface »

Kuroneko and Onibaba are both very fine films. Seen The Naked Island too, was geographically interesting but not a great film for me. Those three all released by Masters of Cinema, not seen anything else.

Sad to hear Shindo died, though 100 is good going..Impressed he was still directing in 2010. 0 checks for that one!
themagician
Posts: 3889
Joined: June 18th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

#26

Post by themagician »

monty on May 30 2012, 05:32:34 PM wrote:
Kowry on May 30 2012, 05:09:11 PM wrote:
monty on May 30 2012, 04:50:17 PM wrote:Yeah, let's for heaven's sake not explore beyond the official ICM lists. :lol:
Well, I meant that I'm going to check them first, not that I'm going to stop there :P But I admit I'm more eager to watch those on official lists, because there's so much stuff I'd want to watch that I'm having a hard time prioritizing them already. But of those of Shindo's films not on any official list Children of Hiroshima looks interesting so I could also put that on my watchlist.
What about Hokusai manga aka Edo Porn? Looks very promising.

If you can find it, Ningen (1962) is well worth watching.
I have Edo Porn on my hard drive. Looks very interesting indeed, I mean, who doesn't enjoy seeing a little hanky-panky between a woman and an octopus.

Image

The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife, a painting by Hokusai who the film is based on and one that's relevant to the film in question. He is cited as the dude who inspired the whole tentacle porn genre that today provides for so many. A great man indeed.

Another one I have bookmarked is Children of Hiroshima that looks pretty good.

Other ones I've seen are Black Cat from the Grove, Devil Woman, Ningen and The Island. Rated all of them 8 or higher.
User avatar
monty
Posts: 12793
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#27

Post by monty »

Image



Ray Bradbury
, giant of fantasy and science fiction writing, dies at 91. RIP

People ask me to predict the future, when all I want to do is prevent it. Better yet, build it. Predicting the future is much too easy, anyway. You look at the people around you, the street you stand on, the visible air you breathe, and predict more of the same. To hell with more. I want better.
--------
My tunes and numbers are here. They have filled my years, the years when I refused to die. And in order to do that I wrote, I wrote, I wrote, at noon or 3am. So as not to be dead.
Last edited by monty on June 7th, 2012, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13961
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#28

Post by brokenface »

He has almost the same glasses as you :D

--

Can't say I've read more than a fraction of Bradbury's work, but Fahrenheit 451 is dystopian brilliance (still never got round to the film). And so many fine short stories..
User avatar
Timec
Posts: 1147
Joined: July 4th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#29

Post by Timec »

I read a ton of his stuff when I was in high school, and I liked almost all of it. Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Illustrated Man, October Country, Fahnreheit 451... So many great novels and short stories. I really need to revisit some of them at some point in the near future.
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10681
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#30

Post by Knaldskalle »

Read Something Wicked This Way Comes and Fahrenheit 451 a couple of years ago. I have Martian Chronicles on a shelf somewhere, but that's about it.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Nopros
Donator
Posts: 2269
Joined: May 16th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#31

Post by Nopros »

I've only read The Veldt by Ray Bradbury, and it's awesome. Rest in piece. :(
Nopros
Donator
Posts: 2269
Joined: May 16th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#32

Post by Nopros »

Rest in piece Bob Welch. Suicide, wtf. :(
Life as Fiction
Posts: 767
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

#33

Post by Life as Fiction »

Nopros on Jun 8 2012, 09:52:50 AM wrote:Rest in piece Bob Welch. Suicide, wtf. :(
Spinal surgery is no joke. Don't wish that on anyone.
Rich
Posts: 4722
Joined: May 12th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#34

Post by Rich »

Nora Ephron may have died today from cancer. It's unconfirmed now on the internet.
Rich
Posts: 4722
Joined: May 12th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#35

Post by Rich »

And it is confirmed. RIP Nora Ephron
themagician
Posts: 3889
Joined: June 18th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

#36

Post by themagician »

BREAKING: Film director Tony Scott jumps to his death from Vincent Thomas Bridge

British film director Tony Scott, known for such Hollywood blockbusters as "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder," "Beverly Hills Cop II" and "The Taking of Pelham 123," jumped to his death Sunday from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island, according to Los Angeles County coroner's officials.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/califor ... mas-bridge
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10681
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#37

Post by Knaldskalle »

themagician on Aug 20 2012, 01:25:55 AM wrote:BREAKING: Film director Tony Scott jumps to his death from Vincent Thomas Bridge

British film director Tony Scott, known for such Hollywood blockbusters as "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder," "Beverly Hills Cop II" and "The Taking of Pelham 123," jumped to his death Sunday from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island, according to Los Angeles County coroner's officials.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/califor ... mas-bridge
Can't say I cared much for most of his movies, but still... :'(
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
VincentPrice
Posts: 4695
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Maine
Contact:

#38

Post by VincentPrice »

Loved a lot of his movies, hated a few. Sucks that we won't get to see what else he'd do after the really fun Unstoppable. RIP :(
Rich
Posts: 4722
Joined: May 12th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#39

Post by Rich »

Hated all his movies but still it is quite saddening.
User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31782
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#40

Post by mightysparks »

Wasn't really a fan, but I liked a few of his films and Enemy of The State was my favourite movie for a time when I was a kid. RIP.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Image
Post Reply