Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Drive a Crooked Road, July nominations (Jun 25th)

Rest in Peace

yllow

Post by yllow »

Oh no, I loved her in Moonstruck and Steel Magnolias
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

OldAle1 wrote: May 1st, 2021, 8:52 pm Her long film career began with a role in Gregory Markopoulos' experimental Twice a Man in 1964
Oh wow, I had no idea that was her debut...
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

prodigalgodson wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 11:14 pm
OldAle1 wrote: May 1st, 2021, 8:52 pm Her long film career began with a role in Gregory Markopoulos' experimental Twice a Man in 1964
Oh wow, I had no idea that was her debut...
Yep. She was apparently very proud of her Greek heritage, and felt a certain amount of discrimination growing up, and I'd imagine she was attracted to working with other actors and filmmakers of Greek extraction - and the numbers probably weren't enormous, so it fits. And she did some rather avant-garde work in theater - Brecht and such. But if somebody only knew her from Moonstruck and then watched the Markopoulos film I think they'd get quite a shock :lol:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Tawny Kitaen, 59, American actress. Never a big star exactly, but forum-ites of a certain age may remember her from several music video appearances, mostly for Whitesnake songs (she was dating the lead singer for a while), and her first two films, both from 1984, are a sometime cult favorite (Gwendoline) and an early starring role for Hollywood's Mr. Nice Guy Tom Hanks (Bachelor Party). She was apparently something of a hair-metal groupie, appearing also on the cover of this Ratt album:

No cause of death listed yet, but looking at the bits of her life noted on Wiki for the last 20 years, drugs and domestic violence seem to play a major role, so her relatively young age at the time of her passing may prove to be sadly unsurprising.

http://metalsludge.tv/rip-tawny-kitaen- ... ead-at-59/
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Oh boy, I remember her from the Whitesnake video "Here I Go Again" writhing/dancing across a car or two. Makes no sense but 14 year old me could not care less.

:rip:
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I saw Gwendoline for the first time last year, and it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It also has a surprisingly good synth score, which you can hear here (along with some images from the movie that give you a sense of how ridiculous it is):

I can't say Tawny Kitaen had a great performance in Gwendoline, but she did fine with the ditzy sex kitten ingenue role she was handed. She also had a memorable guest appearance on Seinfeld as a ... ditzy sex kitten ingenue who inspires an internal battle between Jerry's brain and Jerry's penis:

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Based on her recent photos, I'm guessing she died of excessive plastic surgery.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Ebbywebby wrote: May 8th, 2021, 5:55 pm Based on her recent photos, I'm guessing she died of excessive plastic surgery.
That's how Kanye's mom died. Well, botched plastic surgery.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

WalterNeff wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:45 am Norman Lloyd, 106 https://www.npr.org/2021/05/11/97598670 ... ies-at-106
One of the last of the prewar actors. I'll never forget this scene:

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

blocho wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:56 am
WalterNeff wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:45 am Norman Lloyd, 106 https://www.npr.org/2021/05/11/97598670 ... ies-at-106
One of the last of the prewar actors. I'll never forget this scene:

RIP. I believe he was the last surviving member of Orson Welles' and John Houseman's Mercury Theater. Another link to the past severed.

And that scene from Saboteur... pretty cool. His first film, too - there's a memorable entry into film for sure.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/rich ... 234949534/

How did I miss this news until just today?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Charles Grodin, American actor, 86. Primarily a comic actor, and usually in supporting roles, the Pittsburgh-born Grodin made his first real impact in a starring role as the obsessive, newly married man lusting after perfect blonde Cybill Shepherd while on his honeymoon in The Heartbreak Kid (1972); he also starred in Albert Brooks' first feature Real Life (1978) and with Robert De Niro in an archetypal hit buddy action-comedy film, Midnight Run (1988). He also wrote several plays and books of humorous autobiography.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/18/movi ... -dead.html
Here's to the fools who dream.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

I watched The Heartbreak Kid for the first time last year, and Grodin was great in that. Always loved seeing him on screen.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Paul Mooney, comedian, dead at 79. A stand-up comedian and comedy writer, known for his writing collaborations for Richard Pryor’s comedy albums and The Richard Pryor Show, he also acted in Spike Lee’s Bamboozled, and more recently he’s probably best known for a few hilarious appearances on Chappelle’s Show.

One of my favorite moments from Paul Mooney’s appearances on Chappelle’s Show:
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Kentaro Miura, 54, of anime fame for Berserk:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/ ... es-aged-54
Mothravka

Post by Mothravka »

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Fuck. Son of the White Mare and Janos Vitez are amazing. Been meaning to see his other two features.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Marcell Jankovics deserves to be renowned as one of the world's great animation directors on the basis of Son of the White Mare and Johnny Corncob on their own. His comebacks in the 21st century were still good, with some spectacular moments, but they felt a little cheaper. It is a tragedy he could not produce more in hisbprime/be afforded larger budgets later.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

B.J. Thomas, American singer, 78. Film people will certainly be most likely to know him for "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head", the Burt Bacharach/Hal David tune that won the Oscar for Best Song for it's appearance in 1969's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and spent 4 weeks at #1 on the American pop charts in January 1970. Other familiar songs to those who grew up in the 70s would include his original version of "Hooked on a Feeling" (covered more famously by Blue Swede) and "(Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song". His career as a singer in pop, country and gospel lasted from the early 1960s through the early 2010s.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/29/10016142 ... dies-at-78
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Gavin MacLeod, American actor and Christian evangelist, 90. MacLeod got his start in small parts and guest shots on a variety of TV programs in the late 50s, and though he made several films, it's TV for which he will certainly be remembered. His portrayal of sarcastic news writer Murray Slaughter on Mary Tyler Moore (1970-77) earned him two Golden Globe nominations, and his lead role as Captain Merrill Stubing on The Love Boat (1977-87) got him three more nominations. In the 1980s he became a born-again Christian and spent most of the subsequent decades preaching with his wife about the decline of morality in America.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/29/arts ... -dead.html
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Clarence Williams III, 81

American actor best known for his starring role in the TV show The Mod Squad from 1968 to 1973. He also had small roles in a variety of movies such as Purple Rain, Half Baked, The General's Daughter, American Gangster, and The Butler.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Revaz Gabriadze, 84

Georgian writer and director. I've only seen one of his works, but it made an impression: Kin-dza-dza! (the greatest Soviet sci-fi comedy ever made in color).
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Libuše Šafránková, 68 (just 2 days after her birthday!), Czech actress.

Her fairy tale movie Three Wishes for Cinderella (1973) is wildly popular in German-speaking countries and a staple for the Christmas season, being repeatedly screened on TV. Wikipedia says that might be true for many other European countries; I don't know if this Aschenbrödel adaptation is comparably famous out there, let alone in the US. The story on which it is based upon is surely most popularized through Disney's Cinderella (1950).
Another popular and more ICM-relevant film from the 90s with Šafránková would be Kolja (1996) which won the Academy Award for foreign film - didn't even know she starred there. Good chance to catch up, maybe. (And with Kin-Dza-Dza as well)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ned Beatty, 83, natural causes
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

One of those very familiar faces of my movie watching life. Hardly ever the lead but often there somewhere! RIP
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Torgo wrote: June 13th, 2021, 11:21 pm Ned Beatty, 83, natural causes
He'll be remembered mostly for Network and Deliverance, but I can't think of a movie I saw him in where he didn't deliver a good performance.