Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th), 1951 (Sep 4th), 500<400 (Sep 23rd)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Rest in Peace

brokenface
Donator

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by brokenface » July 26th, 2020, 5:56 pm

RIP Olivia de Havilland. She probably was the last one who could be considered a big star from 30s/40s.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 26th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Olivia :rip:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » July 26th, 2020, 9:55 pm

Yeah, there's hardly anyone left now. Sidney Poitier? Sophia Loren? Joanne Woodward? Off the top of my head. A website I just Googled mentioned names including Harry Belafonte, Jane Powell, Eva Marie Saint, Margaret O'Brien (aww come on, she's cheating), Gina Lollobrigida, Vera Miles, Claire Bloom, Leslie Caron (oh, that's a good one), Rita Moreno, Kim Novak, Shirley Jones and Shirley Maclaine. So basically, all white guys are six feet under.

My brain tends to mark Jack Nicholson as the threshold for "modern" vs. "old time" superstars.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 26th, 2020, 11:10 pm

Yeah and most of them started out in the 50s. Angela Lansbury was getting Oscar noms in the 40s, think she's the furthest back acting nominee still alive now

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 26th, 2020, 11:30 pm

Going outside the US, or stars like Loren who made really significant impacts on American cinema, there's Micheline Presle, 98 next month, whose career stretched from 1937-2014, and Tatsuya Nakadai, whose first film was the very obscure Seven Samurai in 1954, and who worked through 2018 at least. Clint Eastwood started at the same time; plenty of actors left who got started in the mid-50s, but vanishingly few who were stars by 1950-55.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » July 27th, 2020, 6:47 am

Olivia de Havilland is without a doubt one of my favourite American actresses, though at least she lived to an incredible age. (Plus, she outlived her sister by 7 years. Not to be macabre, but she probably counted that as a win).

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 27th, 2020, 10:11 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 9:55 pm
Yeah, there's hardly anyone left now. Sidney Poitier? Sophia Loren? Joanne Woodward? Off the top of my head. A website I just Googled mentioned names including Harry Belafonte, Jane Powell, Eva Marie Saint, Margaret O'Brien (aww come on, she's cheating), Gina Lollobrigida, Vera Miles, Claire Bloom, Leslie Caron (oh, that's a good one), Rita Moreno, Kim Novak, Shirley Jones and Shirley Maclaine. So basically, all white guys are six feet under.

My brain tends to mark Jack Nicholson as the threshold for "modern" vs. "old time" superstars.
A blog I used to follow regularly updates their list of "oldest living"

Actors list - the youngest on the list of 200 just turned 86.
Oscar Nominees list - the youngest on the list of 100 will turn 86 in November

Olivia was the oldest on the second list, and second oldest on the first one before she passed.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 27th, 2020, 5:05 pm

blocho wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 12:53 am
John Saxon, 84

American actor with a long movie career beginning in the 1950s. He started out as a teen idol before going on to a career that featured many police roles. He also developed some martial arts skills which led to a few roles, most notably alongside Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon.

Another one of my "older guy" crushes gone... :rip:

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 30th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Herman Cain is dead-dead-dead.
Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » July 30th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Founding member of The Roots and one of the most acclaimed MCs of the '90s, Malik B, has passed away at 47. No cause of death has been given.

"We made a name and carved a lane together where there was none. We ressurected a city from the ashes, put it on our backs and called it Illadelph. In friendly competition with you from day one, I always felt as if I possessed only a mere fraction of your true gift and potential. Your steel sharpened my steel as I watched you create cadences from the ether and set them free into the universe to become poetic law, making the English language your bitch. I always wanted to change you, to somehow sophisticate your outlook and make you see that there were far more options than the streets, only to realize that you and the streets were one... and there was no way to separate a man from his true self. My beloved brother M-illitant. I can only hope to have made you as proud as you made me. The world just lost a real one. May Allah pardon you, forgive your sins and grant you the highest level of paradise." -Black Thought
Also, former GOP/Tea Party presidential candidate Herman Cain has passed away from COVID. He was hospitalized immediately after attending Trump's Tulsa rally without a mask. :shrug:

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 30th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Nostalgia ...

Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » July 30th, 2020, 8:12 pm

It's creepy seeing what Herman Cain's team was posting on social media while he was sick for weeks, dying, and obviously he wasn't the one writing and posting. As already mentioned, he likely got COVID-19 and died as a result of attending a Tulsa Trump rally without wearing a mask.

A different Trump ally, Bill Montgomery, died a few days ago. He was a co-founder of Turning Point USA, a conservative organization meant for college students (although Bill Montgomery was old and was not currently a college student while forming it).

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 31st, 2020, 4:45 pm

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 31st, 2020, 4:53 pm

Bummer. One of my favorites. :rip:

Too much death lately.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 31st, 2020, 6:40 pm

I just saw Birdy, which was excellent, two days ago. I enjoyed every movie of his that I've seen.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 2nd, 2020, 3:47 am

Wilford Brimley, 85

American actor, perhaps best known for his roles in The Thing, The Natural, Tender Mercies, Cocoon, and The Firm. He was also well-known for his promotional work for Quaker Oats and as a spokesman for diabetes awareness, which led earlier this year to this delightful tweet:

There was also this great guest appearance on Seinfeld:

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 2nd, 2020, 7:50 am

Honestly, I thought he was dead already.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » August 2nd, 2020, 8:44 am

Thanks for sharing these Seinfeld clips, B. :D
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 2nd, 2020, 10:48 am

Wow talk about coincidence - I re-watched Hard Target last night where he has a small but fun supporting role and I was thinking, jeez he looks old here, he's always looked old, wonder how old he really is and if he's still kicking?

Anyway my favorite thing with him was, is and always will be Remo Williams, but he was always fun to see wherever he popped up. RIP.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 8th, 2020, 3:50 am

Bernard Bailyn, 97

American historian.

Excuse me while I drift back to my days in grad school. "Bud" Bailyn, as everyone called him, was one of those titanic figures in the field of history, perhaps the most important historian of colonial America in the past 60 years. He was instrumental in turning historical understanding of the American Revolution away from the progressive-era Beard school, which emphasized economic motives, back to ideological motives. He also was probably the most important figure in the creation of the field now known as Atlantic history, which posits the Atlantic not as a barrier but rather as a vast series of highways, which connected four continents in ever more complex exchanges and migrations over the past 500 years. And, like the most influential academics, he also served as mentor to a vast army of disciples who themselves became major historians, one of whom taught me in grad school back in 2011.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 12th, 2020, 1:06 am

Trini Lopez, 83

American singer/guitarist. He also appeared in The Dirty Dozen and sang this song.