Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 36 released September 1st: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down: Is Rating Films Actually Worthwhile Communication?)
Polls: 2020 (Results), 21st Century (Results), 500<400 (Sept 24th), 1967 (Sept 29th)
Challenges: Eastern Europe, Silent Era, Low Rating
Managers Cup: Round 1 Schedule, 1B: russa03 vs zzzorf vs OldAle1 (Sep 26th)

How We Got Into Cinema, Part 2: The Other Hosts [TALKING IMAGES]

St. Gloede

How We Got Into Cinema, Part 2: The Other Hosts [TALKING IMAGES]

Post by St. Gloede »

It is origin story time, again!

In our very first episode, the original hosts detailed exactly how they got into cinema. Now, it is time to hear from those who have joined us since then.

Listen in as Teproc, Blocho, Mightysparks and Sol tell you exactly how they got into cinema.

Be shocked, as Teproc reveals he's a child of DVDs not VHS.

Discover who actually studied film, who edited Forrest Gump and Die Hard together and who went to science camp.

And of course, marvel as Sol details his love of gamification.

It is all here in our part 2 of how we got into cinema.

You Can Listen Here:

Sounder: https://talking-images.sounder.fm/episo ... ther-hosts

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6F9UI89nSybSh8iCGAlQ7t

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/h ... 0530669321

Listen to Part 1:

Rougher? Yes! Better? You decide!

Sounder: https://talking-images.sounder.fm/episo ... nto-cinema

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4ItXxuvlzWl2YqDAaY8H9u

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/h ... 0500778441

Join in the discussion!

How did you get into cinema?

What is your first memory of seeing a film?

Are you a child of the cinema, TV, VHS, Blu-ray or something completely different?

Were you restricted in what you could see as a child/teen?

What are the films that turned you into a cinephile?

Did you ever dream of being part of the film industry?

Did you study film?

Did you go to summer camp? Any summer camp? Blocho would like to know.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Like all the hosts, except Matthieu, I also came into films in large part through VHS. It helped that my father was a co-owner of a VHS rental store in the late-80s/early 90s, and that when he pulled out he got a large part of the stock with him home. Granted, the main contribution to me, at the time, was children's films - and it was only later, that I started going through them more thoroughly - resulting in plenty of mediocre 80s comedies and action flicks.

There was not much in the way of classics, though I did see Fulci's Massacre at Grand Canyon /1964) and some others like it. Sadly, by the time I wanted to dive even deeper the humidity of the basement had damaged several - and I remember us throwing out quite a few damaged tapes.

As for earliest memory, I genuinely have no clue. I know I kept watching Loose Cannons (1990) with Gene Hackman and Dan Akroyd so many times that I still remember at least one of the jokes very clearly - but I don't know how early or late that was. I also have really clear memories of Land Before Time (1988), which was certainly one of my childhood favourites, and which I quite likely saw even earlier. I also have a clear memory of renting a VHS player when I was 5,6 or 7 for the purposes of watching The Jungle Book - but we got the wrong tape. It may actually be the case that I have no film memories before I was 7 - which would be sad. I have some radio memories and book memories from before that though - but with the radio it is mostly memories about waiting for "the children's hour" (not to be confused with the Lesbian themes play and film) rather than any of the content.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Actually, I do have Pingu memories from I have 5-6:

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

I haven't listened to the episode yet but I'm looking forward to it as being involved in part 1 of our origin stories was great fun.

I was also enamoured with The Land Before Time at a very early age Gloede. Maybe the second rate sequels they churned out are what drove us to be cautious of sequels all of these years later?!

We didn't explore all of these questions in the first version of this episode so I thought I would go through them anyway:

How did you get into cinema? Some of my earliest cinema visits were with my granddad who took me to see Ferngully and Baby's Day Out. There may have been other cinema trips but these are perhaps the earliest ones that stand out in my mind. As a young child there is nothing quite like the magic of the cinema and I was fortunate enough to be taken quite frequently as a young boy, whether with parents, grandparents or my older brothers.

What is your first memory of being into film? As a pre-teen I used to scour the tv guide every saturday to see what films were scheduled to be on television in the week ahead. This was even more exciting over the Christmas period when the number of films shown would increase almost tenfold. My dad would buy five blank videotapes for the family - one for each of us - at the start of December, so we could all record the films we wanted when there were clashes in the schedule as we only had one TV, which was the normal thing then anyway.

Are you a child of the cinema, TV, VHS, Blu-ray or something completely different? I used to watch most of my films based upon the TV schedule, although I also used to love going to the video rental store on a friday night with my brothers where we would pick out films often based just on their covers - there was no scouring IMDB or ICM on your phone to check out if a film was any good or not before you watched it! This made the great discoveries even more exciting but more often than not you ended up with an awful film.

Were you restricted in what you could see as a child/teen? To a certain degree yes, although having older brothers helped as my parents were a bit more lax when it came to allowing me to view things that were not meant for young eyes.

What are the films that turned you into a cinephile? Most of the films I watched around my late teens when I was trawling through the IMDB Top 250.

Did you ever dream of being part of the film industry? Yes, are there any cinephiles who don't? I managed to work as an extra on set with Jude Law in a film called Genius, that was about as close as I got. Funnily enough I still haven't seen the film, I was in the background of a scene in a bank reading a newspaper and I was a long way away from the camera so I doubt I would be anything more than a figure in the background.

Did you study film? I didn't and it might be one of my biggest regrets. If I won the lottery tomorrow I have always said I would quit my job and go back to university to do film studies.

Did you go to summer camp? Any summer camp? Blocho would like to know. I'm looking forward to hearing what this is in reference to when I listen to the podcast! The answer is no, summer camps aren't really a thing in the UK.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

filmbantha wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 7:26 pm Did you go to summer camp? Any summer camp? Blocho would like to know. I'm looking forward to hearing what this is in reference to when I listen to the podcast! The answer is no, summer camps aren't really a thing in the UK.
Of all the things I said in that podcast, I'm not sure why that story was the one Gloede decided to make into a question. Yeesh! :P

So, I went to a summer camp (which I've learned is more of a big thing in the northeastern US than in other parts of the country or the world at large) where video was an activity. We made a lot of weird projects, including some fake movies. The two I remember were Terminator 3 (years before the actual Terminator 3 was released) and a mash up of Forrest Gump and Die Hard that was called "Forrest Dump: With a Vengeance" -- you know, classy pictures.

Was there also a really awful parody of Siskel & Ebert in which the person playing Ebert spent the entire time stuffing popcorn into his face and the guy playing Siskel played the scene nude for reasons that escape me? Well, if there was, it wasn't my idea.

Also, for the record, I don't actually want to know about anyone's summer camp history.
Last edited by blocho on August 3rd, 2021, 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I always liked movies. I grew up reading TV Guide, watching Siskel & Ebert and especially reading the reviews of a local film critic, who is now my friend all these years later. But I saw a certain film when I was 14 and it was a life-changing moment.

What is your first memory of being into film?

I don't remember exactly how I stumbled upon At the Movies, but I first saw it back when Siskel was still on the show, because I remember being sad when he died. I would have been five at the time. Maybe my mom used to watch the show sometimes and that's how I came across it. I honestly don't remember. The Oscars were always on at my house growing up. By the ceremony in 1999, I was actively into it.

Are you a child of the cinema, TV, VHS, Blu-ray or something completely different?

VHS is where I got started, but I like to say that the cinema is my place of worship. There is nothing like the theatrical experience. I treasure it much more after having been away from it for 15 months due to COVID. I fear losing it again soon. I'm hoping that, rather than shutting down again, theaters will start requiring proof of vaccination.

As a child, yeah, unless it was something my parents wanted to see or I could manage to sneak it on TV. Around the time I was 11, I started buying R-rated movies occasionally out of the bargain bin at Walmart to see if I could get away with it, and they didn't stop me, so the rules just sort of naturally dissolved.

I'd give it a sentimental 4/5 now, I think there are many things wrong with it, but American Beauty blew my fucking mind when I was in the eighth grade. When I got seriously into film again in 2019 after years of inactivity, I kinda just started watching stuff aimlessly. It was out of wanting to watch more films rather than seeing a specific one that blew my mind.

For most of my life, I wanted to be a director. Now, if anything, I'd rather be a critic or festival employee.

Did you study film?

I had two film classes in college. One was a lot of fun with a cool, extremely knowledgable professor who hung around Jack Nicholson in the '70s. One was with a fucking pleb who was actively rude to everyone and didn't know films beyond the basic Hollywood classics.

Horrible Baptist sports summer camps during most of my adolescence.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

kongs_speech wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 11:22 pm How did you get into cinema?

I always liked movies. I grew up reading TV Guide, watching Siskel & Ebert and especially reading the reviews of a local film critic, who is now my friend all these years later. But I saw a certain film when I was 14 and it was a life-changing moment.
It always surprises me just how mainstream Siskel & Ebert were, must have been the golden age of film criticism (at least for the critics). There was even that animated show:

I also got into At the Movies, but only after I was first interested in films. It makes sense I suppose as I am not an American, and I doubt it ever got broadcasted over here. I remember following from the last Richard Roeper years or perhaps Ben Lyons' run. It is a bit hard to tell as I rarely watched live - though I do remember when Ben Mankiewicz was brought on - and then for the relative disappointment with Michael Phillips and A. O. Scott.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

blocho wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 11:06 pm
filmbantha wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 7:26 pm Did you go to summer camp? Any summer camp? Blocho would like to know. I'm looking forward to hearing what this is in reference to when I listen to the podcast! The answer is no, summer camps aren't really a thing in the UK.
Of all the things I said in that podcast, I'm not sure why that story was the one Gloede decided to make into a question. Yeesh! :P

So, I went to a summer camp (which I've learned is more of a big thing in the northeastern US than in other parts of the country or the world at large) where video was an activity. We made a lot of weird projects, including some fake movies. The two I remember were Terminator 3 (years before the actual Terminator 3 was released) and a mash up of Forrest Gump and Die Hard that was called "Forrest Dump: With a Vengeance" -- you know, classy pictures.

Was there also a really awful parody of Siskel & Ebert in which the person playing Ebert spent the entire time stuffing popcorn into his face and the guy playing Siskel played the scene nude for reasons that escape me? Well, if there was, it wasn't my idea.

Also, for the record, I don't actually want to know about anyone's summer camp history.
It was hard not to. Sorry. :D

I never went to summer camp myself. I have no idea if that was or is a common thing in Norway. I don't ever remember hearing about it - save the political and religious ones.

Looking it up now, some exist, but I think it is more common to spend their vacations at the family's summer and/or winter cabins - most families in Norway have one and/or abroad - and if the parents want to get rid of the kids for a bit they usually chuck them to very happy grandparents. (At least that was/is my impression).
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I'm only partway through (re)listening, but definitely remembering how fun this was to record, going through some of the most random films imaginable that were pivotal in me discovering IMDb and so on. :thumbsup:
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

How I answer this depends entirely on how I conceive of “getting into cinema,” which is something I have liked since childhood, but began taking more and more of an interest in the older I got, first in regards to Hollywood genre movies, and later, when I had a kind of awakening to “foreign language” cinema at 16 during a marathon screening of the Janus collection on PBS. It was off to the races after that.

Not really (I remember seeing The Birds in a theater when I was about 7, and The Godfather when it came out at 12), though my parents limited my TV watching to 1 hour per day until I hit high school, at which point my interest in movies took me more and more to the cinema with friends, or my grandfather, who shared my growing interest in World Cinema.

The first films I saw from the Janus Collection: films by Resnais, Truffaut, Bergman, Kurosawa, and Bunuel, etc., but like filmbantha, I can remember scouring the weekly TV guide for films since I was old enough to read.
Watched a lot of adventure movies and westerns Magnificent Seven and Adventures of Robin Hood were early favorites) and as I got older, crime dramas (John Huston was an early favorite), and life dramas (I liked the films of Elia Kazan a lot). Also watched a fair amount of Disney movies earlier on, and my first film memory might be of going to the theater to see the premier of Mary Poppins when I was 4 or 5. The Wizard of Oz was also a yearly favorite on TV.

Did you ever ream of being part of the film industry?

Absolutely. I was a lit and creative writing major in college, but I also took some film survey courses, and made 7 shorts with friend who was in the graduate film program during my late 20’s, and looked into various film programs at the time.
I also began attending local film festivals, and my friend and I had a couple of our films screened at a few. One even resurfaced on YouTube recently, and I posted the link on this board.

Did you study film? See above

Summer Camp: Lot’s of sport’s camps which I was really into as a child, but a few educational ones connected to museums, as well. All were day camps, except for a basketball camp I attended in high school
Last edited by cinewest on August 10th, 2021, 7:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm How did you get into cinema?
Started out as a horror fan (10 y/o), then anime, then Japanese live action.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm What is your first memory of being into film?
My first film-related memory is Bambi in theaters (at a very young age). I remember the frozen lake scene.
My first memory of really being into film is Hellraiser I think. I really like the scary 80s horrors at first (Child's Play, Candyman), but this was something else.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Are you a child of the cinema, TV, VHS, Blu-ray or something completely different?
VHS in some ways. I loved browsing the horror section as a kid, but mostly went to our VHS store to rent video games.
As a cinephile, I'm a child of IRC. Download bots were the only place to get Japanese cinema.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Were you restricted in what you could see as a child/teen?
Only geographically. Getting anime (or Asian cinema in general) was very difficult, if not impossible. But my parents never forbid me to watch anything. On the contrary, they taped the late-night horror films for me, got me into 16+ films at the theater and when I was allowed to rent my first VHS, sat through Braindead/Dead Alive with me. They didn't really like the film.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm What are the films that turned you into a cinephile?
The weekend I watched Eraserhead and Tetsuo back to back. That's when I knew cinema would move up from a hobby on the side to main focus.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Did you ever ream of being part of the film industry?
Not realistically. I think I'd hate the practicality of it. But being able to direct my own film (in some fantasy dream scenario)? Sure.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Did you study film?
Nopes.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Did you go to summer camp? Any summer camp? Blocho would like to know.
I actually did one summer, but it's certainly not as widespread here in Belgium as it is in the US. I remember very little of it, didn't really make a big impression I guess.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Join in the discussion!

I've been a big reader since I was a kid; in university I didn't have "drinking money" I had "book money" - I would spend my spare cash on books, sometimes going to the campus bookstore and buying materials from English classes even though I wasn't taking any (but never the ridiculously expensive textbooks, just novels). When I first moved overseas in 2010, I couldn't bring my books with me since there was no room in my luggage. I think I had somewhat digitized my music collection by then, so I could still listen to music easily, but I didn't (and still don't, really) care for the ebook format, especially before the paperwhite versions became available. I'd liked movies up until then, but they were a passing hobby or something to do with friends, not really something I did a lot on my own. Mind you, I did start to explore a bit more in university at the two local video stores, plus the local cinematheque, which were great.

Movies just kind of crept up on me as I was living alone in a foreign country where I barely spoke the local languages (anyone who did speak English wanted to practice English with me, anyone who didn't speak English couldn't help me learn their language). I had found a music website I liked for cataloguing and rating songs and albums (I think I just searched for "imdb but for musics" or something), and in the forum there someone linked to icm. That put me on to films more, but things didn't really take off until the year I was home between stints overseas, working a shitty temporary job. I also met this guy who was super into film (he owned 80%+ of all the Oscar BP winners on VHS), who I was able to impress on our first date when I could name the Oscar winner for both his birth year and mine. Spending time with him (I even got him on icm for a while) and being able to talk to someone about film helped further my interest. I would also borrow movies from the library, and then toward the end of that year I joined the forum, which opened up a whole slew of films previously inaccessible to me.

After watching Amélie at either the local cinemateque or the university big screen, I registered for an imdb account because I wanted to rate it 10/10. I saw it twice more in theatres within the next year, and it was/is the only film I've ever owned. I watched it at least once a year for the next few years.

My first film memory is seeing Ursula from The Little Mermaid looming large on the big screen, though this may be a false memory, as my parents aren't sure if they took me to see it or not. My first undisputed theatre going was either a Free Willy & Dennis the Menace double-bill or seeing Life with Mikey after a rained out Cubs Jamboree.

Mostly VHS, including movies taped off the TV by my grandmother. The Last Unicorn, The Land Before Time, the animated The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the Care Bears trilogy, and Disney's animated classics stand out most in my mind.

Absolutely. For example, I wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons growing up.
I remember getting into a screening of Eraser for my friend's 14th birthday. Half of us were only 13 at the time, but they still let us all in without question, and I remember feeling like we got away with something (It had a rating where only those 14+ could be allowed in).

I don't think it was any one film or group of films. Seeing myself in a film, or recognizing places I've been to/lived, or seeing the favourite films of friends and family... all of those draw me in more.

No. I did drama and musicals a lot in school and university, but I never wanted to be a film actor - it was always something just for fun.

Did you study film?
No.

Yes, I went to a few different week-long camps. Nothing like the typical American summer-long camps you see in movies, though.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Off topic but honestly if you guys ever do something about hobby burnout I could probably provide some input for it. I do have a pretty good microphone but it's external so I hope a phone would be ok, unless I can plug the microphone into the phone.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I feel like I've answered all of these at one point or another, some multiple times, but anyway....

Well seeing Star Wars in 1977 when it was new as a kid certainly made an impact, but it really wasn't until I started working at a video store 10 years later after college that I got in any way "serious" about film. Having access to thousands of movies for free all at once - and soon making the acquaintance of people who knew the arthouse scene in Chicago much better than I did, and were more versed in classic and foreign cinema, really is what did it.

I have very vague memories of seeing a couple of Disney films - Robin Hood on it's first release, Pinocchio on an early 70s re-release, and some DIsney-esque live action family fare like Adventures of the Wilderness Family. And then Star Wars, and stuff like James Bond films, some of the Biblical epics, The Wizard of Oz and a few others on TV. Oh and one of the Flash Gordon serials, and the 1960 The Time Machine. But given when and where I grew up, I doubt I saw more than 100 total movies, and certainly less than 200, before I left for college at 17.

I guess TV and the cinema, if going by my early memories.

Unlike most people answering, and probably most people my age or younger, most definitely. Star Wars was my first PG film and I was almost 12; I didn't see an R-rated film until I was 15. It's strange in a way that my parents were so over-protective; neither were overly religious (if anything, the opposite) but they both had a real aversion to violence, and my father also to sex and language (at least on screen).

Probably a bunch of films that I saw in 1987-8 after starting to work at the video store, among them Wings of Desire and Distant Voice, Still Lives. And The Sacrifice, the first film from Tarkovsky I saw (on VHS).

Not really in any serious way.

Did you study film?

I ain't know nothin' 'bout no movies. Actually I did take one film class, on Peter Greenaway; at least I went to 2 or 3 classes. Not in college or any formal setting though.

No, I had a very deprived childhood.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Talking Images, not me ;) wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm How did you get into cinema?
I already mentioned my father co-owning a VHS rental back in the late 80s/early 90s and the basement filled with VHS tapes. I think watching films was a fairly common part of my childhood - through "films" would not have been at the top of my hobby list.

Thinking back it may actually have been a somewhat odd decision that made me step up my film viewings in my teenage years - well before I developed a more thorough interest in cinema. I remember becoming tired with arbitrarily watching TV, and thought this down time in front of a screen could be used for something a bit more worthwhile - and as I already had a slight interested in films - and perhaps my pre-iCheckMovies mind was already in a type of checkbox move - my thought process was that - if I switched x random shows to a film I'd have, well, seen a film.

I was probably around 14 at the time, and the type of films I chose to watch were the expected blockbusters and bargain bin action, thriller and comedy films. I had no interest in older films at that point, nor do I think I was watching much outside of US and Scandinavian films either - nor did I have any general interest in specifically trying to watch good films, nor any idea of how to find them - beyond trailers and word of mouth from friends. Like I assume it is for most people not interested in cinema, watching random mediocre films just seemed normal and a part of sitting down with a movie. (Granted, I still watch plenty of mediocre films, but at least now, they add something to erm, eh, my historical/culture knowledge? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: )

Discovering IMDb when I was around 16, and seeing that you can look at films based on average ratings was the big eye-opener. Suddenly it was possible to have some kind of added quality assurance - and a path to knowing what was acclaimed/good. The IMDb top 250 was also a big part of this, and while I mainlyused it to watch films made during the last, say 20 years at first it suddenly started to open up my interest in films - I could suddenly watch great films, better than anything I had seen before - and I started buying films and following the TV guides to get the big films I should see.

I don't know the exact path or timeline, or how long it took to open myself up to older films - but it was really quick. I had started studying Media and Communication in the Norwegian equivalent of high school/college (perhaps a merger - a prep for uni essentially - ages 16-18) and I remember that it was Life of Brian from '79 that made me go "Wow, they could make great films even in the 70s, I wonder how many great films I have been missing - and I wonder <when> films started getting good". The result of this was immediately, as in within a day or two, getting my hands on Casablanca (which I think was around 4th on the IMDb top 250), watching it, loving it, and realizing that clearly always knew how to make brilliant films. Who would have known. :lol:

At that point, still before I was 17, my use of the TV guide became even more extreme - recording pretty much everything that looked interesting on VHS (the older films often showed at night). I remember Jezebel making a particular impression on me, and going through all these classic Hollywood dramas - I also quickly got into classic horror - especially the Frankenstein series - and for a while I think I just loved everything because the black and white cinematography and the different acting style just felt so fresh and new that everything was exciting. I didn't really have the knowledge to properly tell good from mediocre yet - though it too came at high speed - and once I had gone through most of the big US films my horizons started to broaden to Bergman, Godard, and the other master directors.

I remember watching Alphaville by Godard - probably when I was 17 - loving it almost more than anything I had seen before - and trying to find more. It was the early days of DVDs and I got a JLG boxset that year for Christmas. I was entranched - and I think that's where my interest in cinema that plays with form really started. And from them it has only really been a progressive journey of slowly changing tastes, styles and interests. I would say that I knew quite well that I was a film buff and had integrated myself into the IMDb message boards (especially Film General) by the time I was 17 - and that from then onwards it was my favourite hobby.
Hmmm, I really don't know what my first memories of films are. I have strong memories of TV shows like Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, Pingu, Sesame Street, etc. Those are probably my earliest memories from the adudio-visual family. I do know I was a big fan of Flåklypa Grand Prix (1975), like most Norwegian kids. I also remember watching some Disney films, The Lion King is a particular cild memory - but I can't time it. I mentioned some childhood favourites in an earlier post too - but I cannot pinpoint when these memories are from.
VHS, though DVDs were starting to crop up and became the norm in my teen years.

Yes, I was not really allowed to watch violent films. I think my first experience with a James Bond film for instance was at a friend's birthday party when I was 10 or 11 - ironically we also played the first Grand Theft Auto game that day. :lol:
Life of Brian and Casablanca were the catalysts (longer story above)
Yes, I did at times think of becoming a director and I did even write a few screenplays in my early 20s - though I ended up choosing a simpler route.
Did you study film?
Yes, film and film criticism in particular followed me through my education, but it was not central. In Media and Communication we had a film class where we made music videos, adverts, short films, etc. and later when I studied Journalism at University film criticism featured quite nicely. One of my big projects was actually a film review websites with videos inspidered by At the Movies .
Never - not a thing when/where I grew up.
beavis

Post by beavis »

St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Join in the discussion!
gradually... but it started quite early allready:
- One of the earliest movie related memories is that at some point I started to dig into our weekly tv-guide and as soon as it came with the mail circling the movies I wanted to watch (I think also check-marking tv-programmes, but since most of these are weekly shows anyway, the circling was reserved for movies, special stuff). Quite similar to a lot of the stories above.
- then much later, at that point between "regular" school and further studies (HAVO and HBO in my case, for the Dutchies here), I remember taking a membership at the Cult-Videotheek (an Amsterdam thing, started by the guy who now runs the Cult Epics video-label in the USA). Starting to go to cinema more. Dipping my toes into some art-house (Felinni, Tarkovsky and Bergman as the earlies memories of "big names" I wanted to check out... maybe also Godard... and certainly also some silent cinema but without knowing what to go for specifically... I think I saw Bronenosets Potemkin very early and Körkarlen too). Starting to know about independent cinema from the US (Hal Hartley a huge early favorite, without knowing then he got a lot of his style from Rohmer and Godard, like a lot of US indie filmmakers do).
- I started to use Excel to keep track of what I saw from 1997, wich was my 3rd HBO year and my 21st year of life, so I know that is when the hobby had became "Serious". That Excel tells me I saw 286 films that year, which probably was a record for me at that point (I am already at 611 for this year...). I got my first PC in 1995, not sure if I already had Internet at home in 1997... but I think around that time or very soon after anyway I started getting bootleg tapes from the States from the likes of "Video Search of Miami"... always going along that two-fold path of cult/underground and arthouse while catching most of the mainstream stuff on tv (at first) or in the cinema (from the point of earning a salary and/or unlimited passes being introduced... now I never watch movies on tv, and try to see about 1/3rd of everything I see in the cinema)
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm What is your first memory of seeing a film?
I'll take this one to mean in cinema... those are my clearest memories anyway...Well, my memories are vague actually!!!
Most of the times they seem to be memories of memories rather than recollections of the actual events. My first movie in the cinema must have been Disney's Jungle Book. I vaguely remember, or think I remember, the location we went to. Having never been there before. But not the feeling of the movie. It hasn't got a special place in my heart. Then I remember later really wanting to see The Care Bears Movie (1985)... and attached to that vaguely thinking that others might find that childish of me (and me being a bit ashamed for that, but at the same time still wanting to do what I want to do witout caring what other people think about it... both of these things still define everything I see and do)... I must have been 9 at the time, looking at the years, or 10 when you account that the time-window between American and Dutch releases was quite big at that time... I can't judge at this point if that would have been too old for the Care Bears or not ;)
We also saw movies at school sometime, with everybody jammed into the gymnastics hall, a teacher or a parent working a projector and all the kids watching typical Dutch kids movies from Karst van der Meulen or Henk van der Linden. I especially remember liking Billy Turf het dikste studentje ter wereld (1978) a lot. These two directors seem to be totally forgotten these days / by newer generations. In case of van der Meulen that might also have something to do with a sexual scandal that has also tainted the memories of his work somewhat for me, sadly (he was the better filmmaker of the two, especially in the use of special effects, these movies were great adventures for kids).
After that, I have fond memories of going with my mother to films in the cinema. She took me and my brother to a few Police Academy movies. I went with her alone to see Braveheart, which was a very special occacion for me... but all that is after... A lot of special memories are connected to cinema visits for me.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Are you a child of the cinema, TV, VHS, Blu-ray or something completely different?
Definitly TV. We had a VCR at home, but were only allowed to rent (once) during summer vacations. Later on I became a huge Video rental person with my own money. Cinema only really took off after I started to go to filmfestivals (and started training myself in watching up to 4 movies a day, 5 occasionally these days, but on festivals I like to walk between movies or write in my little note book on the connections between the things I've seen, I do think more than 4 is too much to give them all the attention they need, and digestion afterwards).
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Were you restricted in what you could see as a child/teen?
I don't clearly remember (again) any restrictions. My parents where not that strict. But there was no Internet yet, no viewing "devices" and I did not have my own tv, so there was not much that needed restriction. I was late in seeking out scary stuff anyway. I remember Predator as being some of the scariest stuff I ever saw (probably I was just expecting another fun Schwarzenegger action film) and remember wanting to try a horror movie (on my own, as I do most of my exploring) with Nightmare on Elm Street, and turning it off right at the opening credits when a glove with knives for fingers appears on screen, thinking it better to wait on that kind of stuff afterall.

incedentally:
I became a member of the Cult Videotheek because I wanted to see Hellraiser and they only had that movie there (probably an early VHS import which regular rental places did not yet go for at that time), that was my gateway movie into scarier and more adult stuff (I loved it!! Couldn't believe why I was so hessitant before to get into that, in my mind I seem to have had the horror genre built up as this torrent of atrocities that no normal brain would be able to digest... or something :))
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm What are the films that turned you into a cinephile?
This is answered above. It started from early childhood. Maybe as highlight I'd call out swashbucklers from the 50's on tv saturday mornings, those fr@#in Care Bears, a whole lot of teen movies and Hollywood blockbusters of course, then more seriously: Hellraiser, Hal Hartley, and Fellini and Tarkovsky, and finally Bartas, Sokurov, Tsukamoto... never looked back after those. The line "feel free, explore!" from Hellraiser maybe encapsulates my cinephile experience the best, both as the true starting point ánd as something I actually have been continuously doing from that point on. Exploring! Feeling free to seek out everything and anything.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Did you ever dream of being part of the film industry?
I did write for some magazines from 1999 - 2001 or there abouts. Some festival reports, DVD reviews... mostly for free, one paid job was writing some blurbs about movies for an online DVD store (this was a one time thing, I think their regular staff was in a jam or something, so they called up some connections to help out). I had hoped to be able to get into journalism more seriously but my own self doubt killed that possibility (I still think I can't write, and I made peace about not wanting it anymore years back already, so that's ok...)
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Did you study film?
Not in school, but I take my hobby very seriously. Sometimes I feel I am more informed than most of the professionals in the business... but at the same time I have skipped some of the basics (miss some of the "vocabulary") and I don't really like comparative media studies, which a lot of film reviewers tend to gravitate towards (or come from) (...I am not sure if what I am saying there makes sense in English...).

I am what we call here "a typical HAVO student" in that I do not go for excellence but for most enjoyment in my endevours... which is a bit strange with me at the same time being a bit obsessive and perfectionistic when it comes to goals I set for myself... I want to Know about movies: seeing one a day is not enough!, I want to lose weight: I have lost 35 kg in the past 1,5 year and I still think I am not quite at the right weight yet!... those things... I think that is my negative self image holding me back some (a lot); I hinted at this in the previous answer. I wish I went to University, as I think I could have become quite good in film studies (or probably would have gone for philosophy). But instead I trained in molecular biology / genetics, worked as a technician in cancer research for quite a while, and am now a teaching assistent for a few years already (another 'step down' in some eyes for sure, but I am very happy doing it!)
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pm Did you go to summer camp? Any summer camp? Blocho would like to know.
Yes I did actually. Must have been at least two summers, but maybe more. Some good memories (not all of them vague!). Mixing with kids from my neighbourhood and school that I knew and a lot of other kids. Trading comicbooks (Dutch language releases of Marvel comics mostly). This was at "basic" school level so somewhere between 1984 - 1988, before I was 12. I am and have always been from Amsterdam and that camp was in De Kennemerduinen. Not a long way away... and another vague memory here is that I don't recall correctly if we went home at the end of each day with a bus or if we slept there (I think home) and how long the camp went on for (I think at least a week, but it might have been two, or more...?)

I think me going to summer camp during the school vacation and that also being the one time of the year when we went to the video rental place during my childhood is saying something about my working class background. My parents hadn't had much schooling, had been kids during the second world war and had mostly known times when they had to save up to be able to buy just about anything other than weekly groceries. They did not like to spend money. This is not a bad thing in itself. But I do think people with this kind of background have a harder time getting into University and into intellectual things like arthouse cinema, because there just isn't much intrinsic stimulation for that. I always do these things on my own terms, because that is what I am used to do. As far as a drive for serious studying goes, for me that came a bit "too late", after i was already working (in University laboratories!). Getting back into school would have taken both a lot of effort and a lot of money then.... and I was already very aware at that time that earning money in the journalistic side of the film industry was only available to a lucky few... still I would like to run my own festival / dvd label, if I could dream of winning the lottery and not having to care about earning money anymore... :)
Last edited by beavis on August 9th, 2021, 2:08 pm, edited 16 times in total.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Fergenaprido wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:36 pm How did you get into cinema?
I've been a big reader since I was a kid; in university I didn't have "drinking money" I had "book money" - I would spend my spare cash on books, sometimes going to the campus bookstore and buying materials from English classes even though I wasn't taking any (but never the ridiculously expensive textbooks, just novels). When I first moved overseas in 2010, I couldn't bring my books with me since there was no room in my luggage. I think I had somewhat digitized my music collection by then, so I could still listen to music easily, but I didn't (and still don't, really) care for the ebook format, especially before the paperwhite versions became available. I'd liked movies up until then, but they were a passing hobby or something to do with friends, not really something I did a lot on my own. Mind you, I did start to explore a bit more in university at the two local video stores, plus the local cinematheque, which were great.

Movies just kind of crept up on me as I was living alone in a foreign country where I barely spoke the local languages (anyone who did speak English wanted to practice English with me, anyone who didn't speak English couldn't help me learn their language). I had found a music website I liked for cataloguing and rating songs and albums (I think I just searched for "imdb but for musics" or something), and in the forum there someone linked to icm. That put me on to films more, but things didn't really take off until the year I was home between stints overseas, working a shitty temporary job. I also met this guy who was super into film (he owned 80%+ of all the Oscar BP winners on VHS), who I was able to impress on our first date when I could name the Oscar winner for both his birth year and mine. Spending time with him (I even got him on icm for a while) and being able to talk to someone about film helped further my interest. I would also borrow movies from the library, and then toward the end of that year I joined the forum, which opened up a whole slew of films previously inaccessible to me.
I love how practical your jump to film was, though why didn't you just become a member of the local library btw? Few books in English?

I remember being much more into books than films as a child, but that watered away just as I was becoming a teenager - cutting my Hardy Boys phase short with about 100 books on the shelf. :D
After watching Amélie at either the local cinemateque or the university big screen, I registered for an imdb account because I wanted to rate it 10/10. I saw it twice more in theatres within the next year, and it was/is the only film I've ever owned. I watched it at least once a year for the next few years.

My first film memory is seeing Ursula from The Little Mermaid looming large on the big screen, though this may be a false memory, as my parents aren't sure if they took me to see it or not. My first undisputed theatre going was either a Free Willy & Dennis the Menace double-bill or seeing Life with Mikey after a rained out Cubs Jamboree.
Haha, just as you said Dennis the Menace I recall seeing that with my class when I was 6 or 7. :D The Little Mermaid also rings early childhood bells. Unfortunately I don't have a similar IMDb story, I just stumbled on the forums when looking for somewhere to discuss TV shows . I have to say, quite a reaction.
I don't think it was any one film or group of films. Seeing myself in a film, or recognizing places I've been to/lived, or seeing the favourite films of friends and family... all of those draw me in more.
Given your answer above I would have expected it to be Amelie. :wink:
Yes, I went to a few different week-long camps. Nothing like the typical American summer-long camps you see in movies, though.
Ooooh, do tell. What set them apart?
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pmHow did you get into cinema?
In my childhood and early teens watching movies was a mild pastime compared to my other interests, it wasn't until I discovered IMDB in my late teens and the Top 250 that my interest in seeing what was "the best films ever" became a thing. During A-Level media studies I had to write an essay on "Raging Bull" which helped me analyse films, my teacher also introduced me to the writings of Roger Ebert which was pretty informative. Later on once I realised my University studies were going south I started watching the canonical classics to kill some time, get a little culture and broaden my cinematic horizons. Before then I hadn't seen many foreign films apart from awful Bollywood films and poorly dubbed kung-fu flicks, hell I hadn't seen many classic Hollywood films either outside of Coppola and Scorsese; I watched "Some Like it Hot" on TV in my teens and found it quite funny but at that point I didn't feel a drive to discover more black-and-white classics.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pmWhat is your first memory of seeing a film?
I'm pretty sure it was Aladdin at the cinema, I remember feeling uncomfortable in the front row at the sight of Jaffar's ugly mug. I also tried watching Jurassic Park with the family until I shat myself at the sound of the T-Rex.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pmAre you a child of the cinema, TV, VHS, Blu-ray or something completely different?
My parents had a couple VHS tapes of crappy films and there was a local VHS rental store. Didn't go to the cinema that often for lack of money so TV filled up the rest of the time. DVDs became a thing in my teens and I started amassing a small DVD collection over the years, so much better than watching a VHS tape until the quality deteriorated.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pmWere you restricted in what you could see as a child/teen?
Sex/nudity were frowned upon and horror movies weren't allowed either. Oddly my dad's favourite film was "The Godfather" but he was put off by the two brief sex scenes in there. My parents didn't like swearing but South Park was becoming popular and I was listening to rap music anyway so that was a losing battle for them.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pmWhat are the films that turned you into a cinephile?
"Godfather" was a family favourite and something of a Christmas tradition, "Raging Bull" helped me to analyse movies, "Yojimbo" was my introduction to world cinema and "Spirit of the Beehive" was useful in understanding non-traditional narrative films, everything else pretty much flowed from there.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pmDid you ever dream of being part of the film industry?
Of course but slim opportunities and the tiny chance of being successful put those dreams to bed pretty fast.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pmDid you study film?
Nope, I'm an uneducated film dolt and largely taught myself reading books and watching loads of films. Was probably a good thing since the classroom environment would've killed all enjoyment, it was the same with literature, art and history back in school.
St. Gloede wrote: August 1st, 2021, 5:36 pmDid you go to summer camp? Any summer camp? Blocho would like to know.
Summer camps aren't a thing in the UK. *checks Google* well they weren't a thing in the UK until recently, damn you Cornwallis at Yorktown.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

OldAle1 wrote: August 8th, 2021, 10:02 pm How did you get into cinema?

Well seeing Star Wars in 1977 when it was new as a kid certainly made an impact, but it really wasn't until I started working at a video store 10 years later after college that I got in any way "serious" about film. Having access to thousands of movies for free all at once - and soon making the acquaintance of people who knew the arthouse scene in Chicago much better than I did, and were more versed in classic and foreign cinema, really is what did it.
I would have loved working in a video store in my formative years - undoubtedly a lost opportunity. Today they have all closed down, except in the big cities in Norway. Luckily, young film buffs have so many other options I did not really have. I have to say though, browsing the video store in my smallish town (I think there was just 1) was a large part of finding new films to watch. I still enjoy going through the film selection had HMV whenever I go to England - especially as they have a solid collection of world cinema and classic films. I have even though (though I did not purchase) a Sascha Guitry boxset there. I have still managed to add a couple of films to my watchlist after these sessions as you see what has been chosen to be promoted.

Probably a bunch of films that I saw in 1987-8 after starting to work at the video store, among them Wings of Desire and Distant Voice, Still Lives. And The Sacrifice, the first film from Tarkovsky I saw (on VHS).
What an intro!
Did you study film?

I ain't know nothin' 'bout no movies. Actually I did take one film class, on Peter Greenaway; at least I went to 2 or 3 classes. Not in college or any formal setting though.
Great choice in focus, must have been really fun. Did you see the films too or was it exclusively theoretical?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

St. Gloede wrote: August 9th, 2021, 12:24 pm
OldAle1 wrote: August 8th, 2021, 10:02 pm How did you get into cinema?

I would have loved working in a video store in my formative years - undoubtedly a lost opportunity. Today they have all closed down, except in the big cities in Norway. Luckily, young film buffs have so many other options I did not really have. I have to say though, browsing the video store in my smallish town (I think there was just 1) was a large part of finding new films to watch. I still enjoy going through the film selection had HMV whenever I go to England - especially as they have a solid collection of world cinema and classic films. I have even though (though I did not purchase) a Sascha Guitry boxset there. I have still managed to add a couple of films to my watchlist after these sessions as you see what has been chosen to be promoted.
It was in many ways the best job I've ever had. I met most of my friends of the 90s either directly through the job, or through movies, including my second girlfriend. Many of these people were aspiring film professionals - critics or academics mostly - though only one was in any way a name in the field. But more importantly there was a sense of community in that video store (chain - 3 stores), and a sense of community within the people who frequented Facets and the Film Center, that I don't have anymore - and that is probably much rarer now, even in big cities like Chicago. I don't know that it was any easier for the average Joe or Joanne to find great films or to get into cinema back in those days but I do think that pulling together of people in a communal experience was and is important, and has largely been lost, and I'm not sure the upside of more choices and easier access necessarily balances it out. Of course my own circumstances have changed - maybe if I still lived in a big city and had a lot of friends, I wouldn't feel the loss so much.

But there are amusing elements to the whole video store thing too - like the extreme popularity at our least-intellectually-inclined location of Chantal Akerman's Je, tu, il, elle, rented almost entirely because all the middle-aged men wanted to see HOT LEZZIE SEX. If we had catalogued complaints or gotten ratings for movies and matched them to number of rentals I'm sure it would have emerged as the most-disliked, most-disappointing experience.

What an intro!
I think it was around the time that I started working at that video store (fall 1987) that I started going to the Music Box theater regularly; the MB at that time and for the next few years was a repertory house, and played a mix of newer (mostly arthouse) and older classics, all in double features. Sometimes a film like Wings of Desire would be a hit - I think it played 4-5 weeks in other theaters - and so it might show up at the MB in different configurations doubled up with something else similar - a double feature of WoD + Days of Heaven was very memorable for example. Loads of great cinema in those first few "serious" years for me - many Herzog films, several of Hitchcock's major works, and new films like the ones I've mentioned, Brightness, Horse Thief and the first films I saw from Iran. But I don't think that's necessarily any more special than what anybody living in a large city in much of the world could have experienced in other eras. Imagine one's intro to great world cinema being, say, Certified Copy, Holy Motors and Upstream Color in the early 2010s, or Solaris, Aguirre and Discrete Charm in the early 70s, or seeing Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon brand new in 1941. Of course you had to be somewhat open to these at-the-time new experiences, and I certainly had some groundwork laid for me in my adolescence and early adulthood, and it helped that I was an English lit major and though I was a little condescending towards film as an art form early on, I think in some unconscious ways I realized that if Faulkner and Robbe-Grillet could do this in fiction, why couldn't Tarkovsky and Kiarostami do that with film? Novels weren't just Robert Ludlum, and films didn't have to just be Ferris Bueller.
Did you study film?

Great choice in focus, must have been really fun. Did you see the films too or was it exclusively theoretical?
I think we could only watch short things - it was a 2-hour class if I remember right. I'm pretty sure we watched parts of (or all of) A TV Dante over multiple classes, and maybe some shorts. I think I only went to two sessions; my best friend at the time was a Greenaway obsessive, as was the teacher, and the two of them hit it off to the point where they became a couple, got married and had a kid, before inevitably he started cheating on her as he did with every woman he ever went out with. He also became friends with Greenaway for a while - he was one of those people who would put all his effort into getting to know his heroes and trying to become part of their circles.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

St. Gloede wrote: August 9th, 2021, 10:35 am
Fergenaprido wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:36 pm How did you get into cinema?
I love how practical your jump to film was, though why didn't you just become a member of the local library btw? Few books in English?
Correct, there was no local library in any of the first few countries I lived in that I could find, and definitely not one with books in English. There was a private library near my house in Malaysia, with books in English, presumably, but it was hard to find and their hours of operation conflicted with my working hours (they seemed to only be open part-time), so I never made it there. Plus, by then, I was already deep into film. I did splurge on semi-annual Big Bad Wolf book sales, though, and would bring home with me the books I'd read every year to save on luggage space in the final move.

Haha, just as you said Dennis the Menace I recall seeing that with my class when I was 6 or 7. :D The Little Mermaid also rings early childhood bells. Unfortunately I don't have a similar IMDb story, I just stumbled on the forums when looking for somewhere to discuss TV shows . I have to say, quite a reaction.
Given your answer above I would have expected it to be Amelie. :wink:
I think if I had continued to be really into cinema after that one film, that would have been my answer, but it took me another full decade before I started to delve deeper into it. It's been almost a decade since I last saw Amélie... time for a rewatch.
Ooooh, do tell. What set them apart?
When I was 12 or so I went to a week-long all-boys summer camp that had the typical stuff: tents, swimming, campfires... can't remember much else. Our Grade 8 Grad Trip was also a week away camping in cabins up in cottage country - had a great time and it was the first time I went kayaking and rock climbing, both of which I loved.

Then in high school I went to a leadership camp sponsored by my local credit union (a type of bank that's a co-operative), for two years, a week at a time. I think both years were held on a farm (the second one was where I saw a cow give birth and I became a vegetarian for a few weeks).

I don't know of anyone who's gone to a month-long or summer-long camp where you're gone for a long time and parents come to visit on the weekend half-way through. All of the camps I know of are week-long gigs up north or out in the country, or day camps here in the cities and towns.
🧚‍♂️🦫
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

beavis wrote: August 9th, 2021, 10:01 am (from the point of earning a salary and/or unlimited passes being introduced... now I never watch movies on tv, and try to see about 1/3rd of everything I see in the cinema)
That's a really impressive cinema goal! Could not help spotting the "unlimited passes" note though. Do you have the set-up Matthieu has in France with a monthly/yearly card? If so I feel really damn jealous! (especially if they, as it seems, put up an incredible amount of varied cinema, including Radu Jude films ... HEAVEN!).
I did write for some magazines from 1999 - 2001 or there abouts. Some festival reports, DVD reviews... mostly for free, one paid job was writing some blurbs about movies for an online DVD store (this was a one time thing, I think their regular staff was in a jam or something, so they called up some connections to help out). I had hoped to be able to get into journalism more seriously but my own self doubt killed that possibility (I still think I can't write, and I made peace about not wanting it anymore years back already, so that's ok...)
I can't remember reading any of your write-ups and thinking, "hey, that Beavis can't write" - quite the opposite.

Also, have you seen the standards at even major publications? The writing skills of many actual journalists are subpar to say the least.
Did you study film?
Not in school, but I take my hobby very seriously. Sometimes I feel I am more informed than most of the professionals in the business... but at the same time I have skipped some of the basics (miss some of the "vocabulary") and I don't really like comparative media studies, which a lot of film reviewers tend to gravitate towards (or come from) (...I am not sure if what I am saying there makes sense in English...).

I am what we call here "a typical HAVO student" in that I do not go for excellence but for most enjoyment in my endevours... which is a bit strange with me at the same time being a bit obsessive and perfectionistic when it comes to goals I set for myself... I want to Know about movies: seeing one a day is not enough!, I want to lose weight: I have lost 35 kg in the past 1,5 year and I still think I am not quite at the right weight yet!... those things... I think that is my negative self image holding me back some (a lot); I hinted at this in the previous answer. I wish I went to University, as I think I could have become quite good in film studies (or probably would have gone for philosophy). But instead I trained in molecular genetics, worked as a technician in cancer research for quite a while, and am now a teaching assistent for a few years already (another 'step down' in some eyes for sure, but I am very happy doing it!)
I think many people here struggle with self-doubt, but it is rarely based on anything "real", especially, again, when you look at the general standards within any field - or just amongst humans in general. I know saying "Hey, stop self-doubting" is not worth anything - but it is from my experience almost always based on unrealistic expectations. Also, down 45 kilos? That's really bloody impressive! How much do you weigh now? I hope you are not crashing towards being underweight, as that is equally unhealthy and bad.
beavis

Post by beavis »

The 1/3rd goal has grown kind of organically, but I like to maintain it. Covid is messing up my streak in this a bit but usually I don't really have to try hard for it to turn out about that percentage. I have two cards: one for a commercial cinema chain (Pathe) and one where a lot of arthouse cinemas in the country are members of (in Dutch the difference is noted by calling the first kind of place "bioscoop" and the other "filmhuis", both meaning place where you watch movies). This basically covers every cinema in Amsterdam! And usually these cards are also valid for special screenings and festivals... so they cover my entire cinema spending (about 20 euro per card per month)... only the IFFR is costing me a (well worth it) extra on top of that each year. When you go as often as me, this is a bargain, on top of being, indeed, a heaven :)

Yeah that negative self image can be a real bitch, but I am much more aware of it now than in the past and working on it in positive ways. Getting into shape is one of those things too. I came from 125 and am at 90 now. The goals is to get to around 85 and then stay there. I am doing this with a professional person checking in on the progress, so everything is healty and controlled, no worries ;)