Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Drive a Crooked Road, July nominations (Jun 25th)

46-okunen no koi AKA Big Bang Love, Juvenile A (2006) FotW #388

joachimt
Donator

46-okunen no koi AKA Big Bang Love, Juvenile A (2006) FotW #388

Post by joachimt »

Film of the Week #388: 46-okunen no koi AKA Big Bang Love, Juvenile A (2006)

Summary:
An unknown future. A boy confesses to the murder of another in an all-boy juvenile detention facility. More an exercise in style than storytelling, the story follows two detectives trying to uncover the case. Homosexual tension and explosive violence drives the story which delivers some weird and fascinating visuals.

#368 on 500<400, with 205 checks.
Nominated by joachimt.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 results
#368(NEW) 46-okunen no koi (2006)
[Big Bang Love, Juvenile A]

Directed by: Takashi Miike
(340.83 Pts, 8 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–3
History: 368952461838505322374←NA
ICheckMovies: 194 Checks , 19 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of Voters:
rokp (3)
Onderhond (16)
kingink (35)
Melvelet (76)
Torgo (84)
St. Gloede (108)
Lonewolf2003 (NA)
beavis (311)

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.
Here is an iCM list of all FotWs.

This movie fits the current Queer Cinema Challenge.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

joachimt wrote: June 7th, 2021, 11:22 amHomosexual tension and explosive violence drives the story which delivers some weird and fascinating visuals.
This sentence adeptly explains both why I'm really interested in the film but also really unlikely to see it, especially since I suspect it has a lot more of the latter than the former.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Fergenaprido wrote: June 12th, 2021, 2:44 am
joachimt wrote: June 7th, 2021, 11:22 amHomosexual tension and explosive violence drives the story which delivers some weird and fascinating visuals.
This sentence adeptly explains both why I'm really interested in the film but also really unlikely to see it, especially since I suspect it has a lot more of the latter than the former.
I can't even remember the homosexual tension (though I'm sure it's there somewhere), the explosive violence line seems to be there because it's a Miike film and that's how people see him. :shrug:

Would be a real shame to skip this film for such off the cuff remarks.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I used to not watch On Body and Soul because there was arguaby animal abuse in the movie. It turned out to become one of my favourite movies several years later. Just saying.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Onderhond wrote: June 12th, 2021, 6:47 am
I can't even remember the homosexual tension (though I'm sure it's there somewhere), the explosive violence line seems to be there because it's a Miike film and that's how people see him. :shrug:

Would be a real shame to skip this film for such off the cuff remarks.
So it's not a violent film?
🧚‍♂️🦫
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

There is bound to be some violence (both physical and emotional), but it's not really what stands out here (I can't even remember any particular scenes - probably some prison brawl). I don't know where your limit lies of course, but it's certainly not a film that relies on violence.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Onderhond wrote: June 12th, 2021, 5:32 pm There is bound to be some violence (both physical and emotional), but it's not really what stands out here (I can't even remember any particular scenes - probably some prison brawl). I don't know where your limit lies of course, but it's certainly not a film that relies on violence.
Okay, thanks, that eases my concerns. I'm not against violence, per se, but I have a very strong gag reflex and don't physically respond well to a lot of gory violence in movies. I either have to close my eyes (and sometimes my ears) or frequently pause the film in order to calm down, neither of which is really ideal for watching a film. So I usually just avoid those films altogether (especially slashers and violent action movies).
🧚‍♂️🦫
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Fergenaprido wrote: June 12th, 2021, 6:02 pm Okay, thanks, that eases my concerns. I'm not against violence, per se, but I have a very strong gag reflex and don't physically respond well to a lot of gory violence in movies. I either have to close my eyes (and sometimes my ears) or frequently pause the film in order to calm down, neither of which is really ideal for watching a film. So I usually just avoid those films altogether (especially slashers and violent action movies).
Well, in that case it might help if someone who has seen this film more recently gives his/her view, since I'm quite numb when it comes to violence. There might be some pushing and punching, possibly some blood.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Honestly, I don't remember much from the film but I've just read a review from my go-to film critic and there's no mention of violence at all, so it can't be significant.