Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Drive a Crooked Road, July nominations (Jun 25th)

Talking Images Feedback Survey

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

A quick reminder that if you want to be considered in the draw to pick either a film director or a specific year for us to discuss in an upcoming podcast then you will need to complete the feedback survey before the end of today. We really appreciate all of the feedback we have had so far and would love it if we could get a few more responses!
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

sol wrote: May 30th, 2021, 11:20 am My answers:
Talking Images Feedback Survey
1. How many episodes of Talking Images have you listened to?
a) None
b) 1-5
c) 6-15
d) 16+
e) All of them

2. Have you recommended Talking Images to anyone outside of the forum?
a) Yes - I am still in regular contact with two former IMDb message board users, both of whom have become semi-regular listeners
b) No

3. How do you usually listen to the podcast?
a) Spotify
b) Sounder
c) Itunes

4. How much of each episode do you generally listen to?
a) Only a few minutes
b) Half or less
c) More than half
d) The whole episode

5. Our episode length can vary depending on the topic but what are your thoughts on our general duration of each podcast?
a) Too short - though of course it depends on the topic
b) About right
c) Too long

6. Do you listen to any podcasts similar to Talking Images?
a) Yes
b) No

7. If yes to number 6, which are they?

8. If yes to number 6, what things do you think are done better in the other podcasts? Select as many as applicable:

a) Quality of content
b) Frequency of podcasts
c) Length of podcasts
d) Quality of hosts
e) Relevance of topics

9. Which of the following is your favourite type of episode?
a) Overviews of an area of film eg. Spanish Horror, Space Exploration films, Single Location films
b) General Topics eg. Rewatches/How we got into film/Film addiction
c) Deep dives on Directors eg. Rohmer, Jean-Luc Godard, Tarantino
d) Interviews eg. Mary Guillermin on John Guillermin
e) Our Favourite films of a certain year eg. Best of 2019
f) Focused episode eg. Klaus Kinski as Nosferatu or The Dollars Trilogy

10. Which episode has been your favourite so far and why did it stand out to you? Film Purism or Spoilers; both really fun to listen to and take part in

11. Are there any topics you would like us to cover in the future? You betcha

12. Have you been involved in Talking Images in any capacity? Yes

13. Would you consider taking part in Talking Images if you were able to choose the topic of discussion? If so, please tell us more! n/a?

14. Do you have any suggestions on how we could improve Talking Images? n/a?

15. Do you know anyone in the film industry who might be interested in an interview? If so, please tell us! Nobody high profile. I do know someone but already asked and he declined.
Thanks for the feedback Sol! I agree that general topics are often some of the most fun to put together although I am struggling to come up with new ideas for general topics. If anyone reading this has any suggestions for general topics they would like us to cover then please feel free to shout up
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

OldAle1 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 1:12 pm
Spoiler
1. How many episodes of Talking Images have you listened to?

c) 6-15 I think; maybe 16+, haven't kept track.

b) No

b) Sounder

d) The whole episode

5. Our episode length can vary depending on the topic but what are your thoughts on our general duration of each podcast?

b) About right

b) No, unless political podcasts count. Don't think so.

8. If yes to number 6, what things do you think are done better in the other podcasts? Select as many as applicable:

b) General Topics eg. Rewatches/How we got into film/Film addiction - but really I like all the types of topics so far, this was hard to answer

10. Which episode has been your favourite so far and why did it stand out to you?

I think maybe the episode on personal favorites, because people really showed their passion for the subject

11. Are there any topics you would like us to cover in the future?

Something about the business side, in particular comparisons e.g., how Hollywood runs today vs in the 80s or 50s, or the differences between commercial Hollywood, Bollywood, Japanese, French cinemas, etc

12. Have you been involved in Talking Images in any capacity?

no

13. Would you consider taking part in Talking Images if you were able to choose the topic of discussion? If so, please tell us more!

sure. I'm probably the only person on the whole forum who might pick musicals as my favorite genre (and have a musical as a very favorite film) so that'd be a topic, or area of topics, I'd be interested in. And film music generally though I cannot claim to be any more knowledgeable there than most people. Iranian or middle eastern film. Talkin' bout critics. Bad movies (or so-bad-it's-good movies). The 80s, the apex of cinema. etc.

14. Do you have any suggestions on how we could improve Talking Images?

all nude. Totally all nude.

15. Do you know anyone in the film industry who might be interested in an interview? If so, please tell us!

no.
Love your response to question 14 :lol:

Exploring the business side of the film industry in a podcast or two could prove very interesting, I read a handful of books about the rise of blockbusters and also Biskind's books on 70s Hollywood years ago, which were full of eye-opening stories. My memory of these are pretty hazy now though but it could be a good chance to revisit them.

In stark contrast to the horror fare I am usually seeking out I also have a soft spot for musicals; Singin' in The Rain and Strictly Ballroom are in my top 150 films so I would definitely be excited to work on a podcast episode about our favourite musicals. It would also be great to have you on board for this! Please feel free to drop into our Discord channel if you would like to be involved in this.

Thanks for all of your feedback OldAle :thumbsup:
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

Thank you to everyone who completed the feedback survey. It has been great to see all the positive feedback and all of the useful suggestions which we have taken on board.

The winner of the draw to pick a topic for a future episode is 72aicm :party:! Please comment below with either a film Director or a year of your choice, and we will work our magic to make your selection the focus of an upcoming Talking Images episode.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

I’d like to give my price to someone who actually took some time to answer the survey. Mine was rushed, with the intention of editing in more details later, but didn’t found the time.

Thanks but no thanks :)
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

72aicm wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 11:25 am I’d like to give my price to someone who actually took some time to answer the survey. Mine was rushed, with the intention of editing in more details later, but didn’t found the time.

Thanks but no thanks :)
No problem whatsoever, thanks for letting me know.

I have rerun the random number generator on all participants and this time it landed on OldAle1! You get to pick either a Film Director or a specific year you would like us to use as a topic for one of our forthcoming episodes. Please let me know once you have made your decision :thumbsup:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

:party:
Congratz Ale. Am I predicting right that you want a full special episode on Marvel and superhero movies only? .. tehe
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

I just have a question about the Mary Guillermin episode. Do I have the chronology wrong, or was that taped months in advance? Because the book mentions her appearance on the podcast, and the podcast announcement says that her book mentions the podcast.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

filmbantha wrote: May 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm 1. How many episodes of Talking Images have you listened to?
d) 16

a) Yes

d) None of the above -- I like an app called "Podcast Addict" which catches the RSS

d) The whole episode

b) About right

a) Yes

Unspooled & Craigslist are probably closest, but I enjoy "bad movie" podcasts (How Did This Get Made?, The Flophouse, Bad Movie Fiends, God Awful Movies)

d) Quality of hosts

Not that I dislike you guys or that you're bad hosts, but the other podcasts are done by professional comedians or entertainers

a) Overviews of an area of film eg. Spanish Horror, Space Exploration films, Single Location films

Note: I like all the content, I guess this is just a slight favourite.

10. Which episode has been your favourite so far and why did it stand out to you?

[Note: Have only listened to the first 16 so far]
I liked "Please Do Disturb" because it spoke well to how films engage us.

How to review a movie or what goes into a movie rating.

No.

13. Would you consider taking part in Talking Images if you were able to choose the topic of discussion? If so, please tell us more!

No, sorry.

I like it as is.

15. Do you know anyone in the film industry who might be interested in an interview? If so, please tell us!

Sorry, no.
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50
  • IMDb's Fantasy Top 50
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

gromit82 wrote: June 5th, 2021, 6:20 pm I just have a question about the Mary Guillermin episode. Do I have the chronology wrong, or was that taped months in advance? Because the book mentions her appearance on the podcast, and the podcast announcement says that her book mentions the podcast.
Yes, it was recorded in September and we waited for the book to be published to release it, and ended up overshooting it a bit as I think the book had been out for a few weeks when the episode came out.
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

Kublai Khan wrote: June 5th, 2021, 8:47 pm
Spoiler
filmbantha wrote: May 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm 1. How many episodes of Talking Images have you listened to?
d) 16

a) Yes

d) None of the above -- I like an app called "Podcast Addict" which catches the RSS

d) The whole episode

b) About right

a) Yes

Unspooled & Craigslist are probably closest, but I enjoy "bad movie" podcasts (How Did This Get Made?, The Flophouse, Bad Movie Fiends, God Awful Movies)

d) Quality of hosts

Not that I dislike you guys or that you're bad hosts, but the other podcasts are done by professional comedians or entertainers

Note: I like all the content, I guess this is just a slight favourite.

[Note: Have only listened to the first 16 so far]
I liked "Please Do Disturb" because it spoke well to how films engage us.

How to review a movie or what goes into a movie rating.

No.

No, sorry.

I like it as is.

Sorry, no.
Thank you for completing the survey Kublai Khan, pleased to see that you are a regular listener! We have actually recorded an episode which explores our rating scales and how we rate films so that will be released some time in the near future. I like the idea about how to review a movie, that could make for an interesting topic.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

OldAle1 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 1:12 pm 14. Do you have any suggestions on how we could improve Talking Images?

all nude. Totally all nude.
You won, OldAle.

Luckily for us, all nude is not really an option with audio (phew) though we could of course do a nudity episode. :D

Anyhow: Which director or year would you like us to discuss in an upcoming episode?
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

I would love a podcast on musicals, which I grew up with (it was my mom’s favorite genre), though I didn’t really car much for Ale’s favorite film, if only because I found the music, performances, and staging to be mediocre.

My early favorites, were mostly the stage adaptations of the 50’s, along with those musicals that drew upon some amazing music and performers, and then the later “revisionist” musicals that I found unique and interesting takes on the genre.