Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 36 released September 16th: The Minimalist World of Robert Bresson)
Polls: 2020 (Results), 21st Century (Results), 500<400 (Sept 24th), 1967 (Sept 29th)
Challenges: Eastern Europe, Silent Era, Low Rating
Managers Cup: Round 1 Schedule, 1B: russa03 vs zzzorf vs OldAle1 (Sep 26th)

rank a director

AB537

Post by AB537 »

Campion's films haven't really grabbed me yet, but some of her relatively recent work sounds more promising for my taste, especially Top of the Lake. The Power of the Dog is also very much on my radar for the upcoming TIFF festival in Toronto. Haven't seen any of these recently, so these rankings are based on my recollection of my reactions at the time.

Great

Very Good

Good

Above Average

Sweetie (1989)
Bright Star (2009)

Okay

The Piano (1993)
In the Cut (2003)

Not Good

An Angel at My Table (1990)
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

1. Passionless Moments (Short)
2. Top of the Lake (S1)
3. An Angel at My Table
4. In the Cut
5. The Piano
6. Sweetie
7. Bright Star
8. Top of the Lake: China Girl
9. The Portrait of a Lady

need to see: Holy Smoke, other shorts.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I guess everybody's getting bored with this... or on vacation? Anyway I've got nothin' better to do so I'll pick another one, this time one that's SURE to get yer blood flowing and yer critical faculties a-working...

Little Ronny Howard

That's the face of a kid who's just gonna keep on trying! Maybe some day he'll make it...

* cinema viewing
+ seen more than once, yes I have seen one of these twice God help me.

GREAT
- in your dreams

EXCELLENT
- might not be impossible

VERY GOOD
- I know you can do it, Opie!

GOOD
1. Night Shift

OK
2. Parenthood*
3. Solo: A Star Wars Story*
4. Splash
5. Cocoon*

NOT GOOD
6. Far and Away

PRETTY BAD
7. The Paper

TERRIBLE
8. Willow*+
9. The DaVinci Code
10. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
11. A Beautiful Mind

SHOOT ME NOW
12. Apollo 13*
13. Backdraft*
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

:lol:
OldAle's old nemesis. I don't get how or why one would DESPISE Ronnie so much, he's just a typical 90s Hollywood director for me, for better or worse. Rather unremorable. Of course someone who finds big, a tad tacky mainstream flicks unbearable in general wouldn't like him, but that's not even the case for you, right? Anyway that's okay, YOUR LOSS!

(8/10 (very good for what they are, not that they would mean terrible much for me, but stuff like Rush is just dayumn entertaining, right?))
1. Rush (2013)
2. A Beautiful Mind (2001)
3. Frost/Nixon (2008)
(7/10)
4. Apollo 13 (1995)
5. Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
6. The Da Vinci Code (2006)
(6/10)
7. Angels & Demons (2009)
8. Edtv (1999)
(5/10)
9. Cinderella Man (2005)
10. Backdraft (1991)
11. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Wow, I have many left! Willow, Cocoon, Parenthood, Ransom and In the Heart of the Sea sure will be watched one day .. with .. some priority. Hillbilly Elegy, Splash and Inferno, too. The Dilemma looks silly. And Night Shift is a good film you say? :sweat:

OldAle1 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:15 pm I guess everybody's getting bored with this... or on vacation?
Oh, I like the exercise, I just yield the floor for the rest to decide on who to rank next.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

OldAle1 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:15 pm TERRIBLE
8. Willow*+
Trivia
According to Warwick Davis, the film had the largest ever casting call for little people at the time. Between 225 and 240 actors were hired for the film.

:o IMPRESSIVE! No wonder you decided to watch this piece of art, which was co-designed by George Lucas, several times.
Silga

Post by Silga »

I think Ron Howard is a very competent director. It is evident that he has great reputation and respect in the industry. I heard various actors mention in interviews their appreciation of working with him. I also believe that he managed to successfully save Solo: A Star Wars Story from Lord and Miller making an outright comedy out of it. Howard delivered a classic adventure film and showed respect to Lawrence Kasdan's writing style.

Seen 18 films:

1. A Beautiful Mind
2. Apollo 13
3. Solo: A Star Wars Story
4. Rush
5. In the Heart of the Sea
6. The Da Vinci Code
7. Parenthood
8. Backdraft
9. Angels & Demons
10. Willow
11. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
12. Ransom
13. Hillbilly Elegy
14. Cocoon
15. Far and Away
16. Splash
17. Inferno
18. The Dilemma
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Well, I don't hate Ron Howard with a passion or anything. He's a more modern equivalent of a classic Hollywood director like William Wellman or Michael Curtiz. He's generally competent at directing duties but lacks a personal style or vision (unless you count doing a lot of biopics as "vision").

And again, just as a reminder, these are all relative to one another not to other directors. Frankly the best Ron Howard is still just "pretty good".

Top Tier
Willow (granted this is more for nostalgia than anything else but eh)
Apollo 13 (OldAle, why do you hate this so much?)
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Rush
Frost/Nixon

Mid Tier
Back Draft
Splash
Cocoon
Parenthood
A Beautiful Mind
Inferno

Bottom Tier
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
The Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons

Frankly his narration in Arrested Development more than makes up for his penchant for Oscar bait in his directing career.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:38 pm :lol:
OldAle's old nemesis. I don't get how or why one would DESPISE Ronnie so much, he's just a typical 90s Hollywood director for me, for better or worse. Rather unremorable. Of course someone who finds big, a tad tacky mainstream flicks unbearable in general wouldn't like him, but that's not even the case for you, right? Anyway that's okay, YOUR LOSS!
I wish I had written a review of A Beautiful Mind when I saw it; well, maybe I did and posted it on IMDb and didn't bother to save it elsewhere, I feel like I did write about it or discuss it somewhat, but it's been almost 10 years now and I couldn't go into detail. The reason I pick that one is that in memory it exemplifies all of Howard's worst traits - overuse/inappropriate sentimentality (and I'm more tolerant of sentimentality than most) and especially a bluntness in the direction (and writing but he's not credited with that) that hits you over the head with everything and makes every last scene utterly predictable; I remember actually getting to the second half of the film or so and saying, out loud "now this is going to happen, then this", etc - everything is telegraphed to the audience as if we're all utter morons. That's what I hated about the two films lowest on my list as well, though having not seen them in nearly 30 years I am even less willing to get into the details. So here are a couple of his films that I saw more recently for a bit more of an idea
The Irish Question
Far and Away (Ron Howard, 1992)

Forgive me whoever nominated this for DTC; I voted on it sure I'd seen it, and then when looking for films to watch this month I determined on closer inspection that I probably hadn't. People who have read my comments enough will know that Ron Howard is one of my demons, but I don't hate ALL of his films and I'm always a bit curious to see if he does just as badly in a given genre as he does in others - he's like a modern William Wyler in that regard, only bad. This is his attempt at an epic immigration story, with the "western" element only evident in the last third or so. And it's....well, it's better than average for him in my book, though my book is full of Fs and Ds, and this might barely scrape a C.

Tom Cruise is a poor Irish farmer's son who lashes out at the local landowner (Robert Prosky) after dad's death at the hands of his men. But he immediately also falls in with the landowner's daughter (Nicole Kidman) who convinces him through some duress to leave with her for America, the forces of the evil British and Protestantism being arrayed behind him (much of this you have to infer - the film very carefully tries not to get specific about anything political or religious, because that would interfere with it's blandness and inoffensiveness). He serves more or less as her servant on the boat, and then in Boston where he makes money as a grimy prizefighter in the low-rent ethnic enclave they live in. Then more stuff happens and they both end up out west goin' for the big ol' land rush, and of course they end up falling in love and of course there's the rich bad guy that's going to marry her, etc ad infinitum. One thing this film DOES get into a bit that's more serious is the anti-Irish hostility, and the general "why have they taken our land" feeling that the Irish had in their own country towards their overlords - justifiably - and so it's not just disappointing but borderline enraging that the only hint we have that these new settlers are doing the exact same thing that was done to them - taking others' lands - is literally a split-second shot of a three dour-looking Native Americans just before the land rush begins.
Green Man, Insufferable Man

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (MoRon Howard, 2000)

I had avoided this sucker on account of a) not being that much of a Jim Carrey fan, b) an assumption that a feature-length live-action expansion of a very short book and animated short would bound to be bloated and idiotic, and c) Ron Howard. Well, I've gotten to like Carrey more over the past decade (though I've still avoided many of his earlier dumbass comedies), and I found a film that fits category b) but is brilliant (Where the Wild Things Are), so I decided that despite my ongoing problems with c) I'd brave the film this year.

And boy am I...not glad I did. It actually starts out all right, the first half hour kept me somewhat intrigued, and the production design and costumes really are pretty great. And Carrey is adept at both channeling Boris Karloff and bringing his own plastic gifts to bear but...the songs are mostly awful, the maudlin sentimentality that Howard handles as poorly as usual, the stupid and terribly uncreative backstory developed for the Grinch, and the very tiresome action sequences and attempts at comedy got me waiting for this to end by the 50 minute mark, unfortunately only halfway. Ron Howard wins another round in the battle to be OldAle's Least-Favorite Generally Well-Regarded Director since 1980 over perennial contender John Hughes.

In short, shit.
I'm perfectly aware that some - perhaps most - people here will lump Howard in with Spielberg, Zemeckis, Lucas, etc, and ask me why I like them (well, the first two anyway) a lot more? And I guess I'd say that a) Howard has little style of his own, at least that I can determine, and that leads to b) his films just don't seem personal to me, they have the FEEL of "product" in a way that no Zemeckis film I've seen has and only some of Spielberg's (mostly later) films do, and c) that bluntness and obviousness which again I don't see in the others - certainly not as much.
And Night Shift is a good film you say? :sweat:
Maybe. Don't remember it at all. Also don't remember Parenthood at all, and that's the one I'm most likely to see again. My brother really likes it and I'd like to be able to discuss it with him sometime.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

18 seen, 1.88* average

01. 3.5* - In the Heart of the Sea (2015)
02. 3.0* - Angels & Demons (2009)
03. 3.0* - The Da Vinci Code (2006)
04. 2.5* - Cinderella Man (2005)
05. 2.5* - How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
06. 2.0* - Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
07. 2.0* - Inferno (2016)
08. 2.0* - Edtv (1999)
09. 2.0* - Backdraft (1991)
10. 2.0* - Willow (1988)
11. 1.5* - The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (2016)
12. 1.5* - Rush (2013)
13. 1.5* - The Dilemma (2011)
14. 1.5* - Apollo 13 (1995)
15. 1.5* - Parenthood (1989)
16. 1.0* - A Beautiful Mind (2001)
17. 0.5* - Ransom (1996)
18. 0.5* - Hillbilly Elegy (2020)
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Great

Very Good

Good

1. Rush (2013)
2. Frost/Nixon (2008)

Above Average

3. Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
4. The Paper (1994)
5. Cinderella Man (2005)

Okay

6. A Beautiful Mind (2001)
7. Hillbilly Elegy (2020)
8. Apollo 13 (1995)
9. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Not Good

10. The Da Vinci Code (2006)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

flavo5000 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:58 pm

Top Tier
Willow (granted this is more for nostalgia than anything else but eh)
I have significant nostalgia for that film too; I saw it when it came out, at the biggest theater in Chicago - I didn't know Ron Howard from Adam, was just excited about something new involving George Lucas at the time, I was still in my early days of cinephilia and hadn't yet let Godard and Tarkovsky poison me to the mainstream :lol: . I remember thinking it was pretty mediocre even then, though I did love the effects and production design, which were absolutely top-notch by the standards of the day. My one rewatch - I'm going to guess around 2005 or so - probably took it down a notch as I realized more just how glaringly derivative it was. But I would still watch it again over watching a lot of the director's other films even for a second time, mostly because I have such an enormous soft spot for 80s fantasy.
Apollo 13 (OldAle, why do you hate this so much?)
Well as I think I intimated in my original post, I haven't seen anything more than once except for Willow, and this particular film came out 26 years ago. So I really don't remember well - just refer to what I wrote about A Beautiful Mind and the other films I saw more recently. It's a general dumbing-down of everything, heavy-handedness. To me he represents many of the worst traits that so many critics assign to mainstream Hollywood in general and to boil it all down, it's a juvenile attitude towards stories and characters that may work to some extent in something like Solo or Willow or Splash, but not in something (supposedly) more serious like this. For the record I tend to like Spielberg's and Zemeckis' family/kid-oriented films more than their adult films as well so this isn't just something I have a beef with Howard about.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

OldAle1 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 9:58 pm
Well as I think I intimated in my original post, I haven't seen anything more than once except for Willow, and this particular film came out 26 years ago. So I really don't remember well - just refer to what I wrote about A Beautiful Mind and the other films I saw more recently. It's a general dumbing-down of everything, heavy-handedness. To me he represents many of the worst traits that so many critics assign to mainstream Hollywood in general and to boil it all down, it's a juvenile attitude towards stories and characters that may work to some extent in something like Solo or Willow or Splash, but not in something (supposedly) more serious like this. For the record I tend to like Spielberg's and Zemeckis' family/kid-oriented films more than their adult films as well so this isn't just something I have a beef with Howard about.

So with something like A Beautiful Mind I definitely agree on the saccharin heavy-handedness. With Apollo 13 though, I really don't agree with that for the most part (although there are a couple of scenes that definitely play that way). With Apollo 13, he actually seemed to strive for realism more than most of his films, using most of the exact dialogue and story beats of the astronauts and even casting many of the actual NASA staff that was present. Again, I don't think it's a masterpiece (I'd rather just watch a documentary about it personally), but I think it's one of Howard's better made, more faithful-to-the-source films.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

flavo5000 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 10:08 pm
OldAle1 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 9:58 pm

So with something like A Beautiful Mind I definitely agree on the saccharin heavy-handedness. With Apollo 13 though, I really don't agree with that for the most part (although there are a couple of scenes that definitely play that way). With Apollo 13, he actually seemed to strive for realism more than most of his films, using most of the exact dialogue and story beats of the astronauts and even casting many of the actual NASA staff that was present. Again, I don't think it's a masterpiece (I'd rather just watch a documentary about it personally), but I think it's one of Howard's better made, more faithful-to-the-source films.
I think your opinion is more in the mainstream than mine - heck, even my favorite critic liked it a lot more than I did. The more I think about it, the more I believe there actually might be something stylistic going on that I just don't like, despite my saying the guy has no style. Something about the way he shoots dialogue scenes, or edits, or something - but again, I can't really say with any degree of accuracy given how long it's been since I've seen this, or most of the others. Certainly I'm more likely to give this one another chance than some of the others because of the subject matter, if nothing else.
Last edited by OldAle1 on August 30th, 2021, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

There's only one way to find out .. you should give Rush and Frost/Nixon a look one day. They're doing pretty well in our rankings so far, were both liked by critics / award festivals and that Formula flick even brings you one check closer to finishing the Top 250. Can you watch Rush as neutral as possible and come to the conclusion it's overconstructed, intolerable trash, among the worst movies to get a wide release in theatres? We'll see! :o
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: August 30th, 2021, 10:29 pm There's only one way to find out .. you should give Rush and Frost/Nixon a look one day. They're doing pretty well in our rankings so far, were both liked by critics / award festivals and that Formula flick even brings you one check closer to finishing the Top 250. Can you watch Rush as neutral as possible and come to the conclusion it's overconstructed, intolerable trash, among the worst movies to get a wide release in theatres? We'll see! :o
A buddy on IMDb years ago who disliked Howard just as much as I did actually liked Rush and recommended it to me, so I suppose there's hope. Frost/Nixon gives me a really bad vibe.
zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

OldAle1 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 10:33 pm
Torgo wrote: August 30th, 2021, 10:29 pm There's only one way to find out .. you should give Rush and Frost/Nixon a look one day. They're doing pretty well in our rankings so far, were both liked by critics / award festivals and that Formula flick even brings you one check closer to finishing the Top 250. Can you watch Rush as neutral as possible and come to the conclusion it's overconstructed, intolerable trash, among the worst movies to get a wide release in theatres? We'll see! :o
A buddy on IMDb years ago who disliked Howard just as much as I did actually liked Rush and recommended it to me, so I suppose there's hope. Frost/Nixon gives me a really bad vibe.
I always liked Slant's tagline for their Frost/Nixon review: "Ron Howard’s film is a trivial afterword to a historical footnote."
Good-Will-Harding

Post by Good-Will-Harding »

Well, Ale, I guess it really makes sense now why you consider (frequent Ron Howard collaborators) James Horner and Hans Zimmer to be among the most overrated major Hollywood film music composers :lol: Although to be fair, I really do enjoy both of their respective works on your two most despised Howard flicks. :whistling:

My own ranks, ranging from really enjoying the top two, to mostly indifference towards the rest, to really disliking the last couple...

Apollo 13 - 9

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 8

Splash - 7
Rush
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (a guilty pleasure mostly - just really admire the makeup/performance of the titular role, and kinda like the mean spirited humor towards the earlier half)
Backdraft
The Missing
Frost/Nixon

Willow - 6
The Paper
Far and Away
In the Heart of the Sea
The Da Vinci Code
Cinderella Man
A Beautiful Mind

Angels & Demons - 5

Hillbilly Elegy - 4
Arkantos

Post by Arkantos »

Apparently I've only seen three of his films. But of those three:

Liked (4/5):

Rush
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Indifferent (3/5):

A Beautiful Mind
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Oh gosh, Ron Howard. I've seen a lot of his movies. Too many really. The man is clearly competent and talented enough to keep headlining major studio movies across four decades. That's no easy feat. He also has absolutely no discernible style, aesthetic, or vision. When he has a good script, his movies tend to be good. When he doesn't, they're bad. I will add that he might be number one for me in movies that were generally well received but that I think suck (Rush, A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon).

His best work is clearly the narration for Arrested Development. But this is about directing, so ...

Superlative

Very Good
The Paper

Good
Parenthood
Apollo 13
Cinderella Man

OK
Night Shift
Backdraft
Ransom
In the Heart of the Sea
Angels & Demons
Solo: A Star Wars Movie

Misfires
A Beautiful Mind
The Missing
The Da Vinci Code
Frost/Nixon
Rush
Inferno
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

1. 8.0 - Rush (2013)

2. 7.8 - The Missing (2003)
3. 7.6 - A Beautiful Mind (2001)

4. 7.4 - How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
4. 7.4 - Solo: A Star Wars Movie (2018)
6. 7.2 - The Da Vinci Code (2006)
6. 7.2 - Ransom (1996)
8. 7.0 - Angels & Demons (2009)
8. 7.0 - Apollo 13 (1995)

Ransom, Apollo 13, and the Grinch all deserve a rewatch as it's been over 20 years since I saw those. The Langdon films were disappointing since I liked the books so much and enjoy most of the actors in their other films. Rush was a pleasant surprise. Despite his middling track record with me, he still has a number of films I'm interested in seeing, but more because of the story and other factors, not because he's the director.
🧚‍♂️🦫
beavis

Post by beavis »

1 - Willow - 1988 - 4,5
2 - Cocoon - 1985 - 3,5
3 - Parenthood - 1989 - 3,5
5 - Solo: A Star Wars Story - 2018 - 3,5
4 - The Paper - 1994 - 3,5
8 - Apollo 13 - 1995 - 3
6 - Splash - 1984 - 3
7 - Backdraft - 1991 - 3
9 - Edtv - 1999 - 3
11 - A Beautiful Mind - 2001 - 3
10 - How the Grinch Stole Christmas - 2000 - 3
12 - The Da Vinci Code - 2006 - 3
13 - In the Heart of the Sea - 2015 - 3
14 - Angels & Demons - 2009 - 2
(rankings out of 5)

Only one movie I love from Ron Howard...
Some I really dOn't like at the bottom
He is kinda "faceless" as a director for me... more of a Hollywood journeyman/director for hire...?
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

1. The Da Vinci Code (2006) - 8/10

2. Cinderella Man (2005) - 7/10
3. Ransom (1996)
4. Angels & Demons (2009)
5. Rush (2013)
6. A Beautiful Mind (2001)
7. Backdraft (1991)
8. Frost/Nixon (2008)
9. The Dilemma (2011)

10. Inferno (2016) - 6/10
11. Edtv (1999)

12. Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) - 4/10

Yeah, he's like an old school studio director which isn't something I dislike. Most of his films are competent and entertaining, but lacking that oomph to push them into favourite territory.
I think The Da Vinci Code is his best one. Tons of fun, felt like a point and click adventure game turned into a movie.
I would have liked Solo more, but I hated how dark the cinematography was. Could barely tell what was going on at times.

Looking forward to rewatch Cinderella Man (which I remember being better than a 7/10, not sure what happened with my ratings), and watching Apollo 13 and In the Heart of the Sea.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Ron Howard to me is a middle of the road journeyman. His movies are perfectly fine enough to pass the time, but none are really good enough to consider a favorite. (Only Frost/Nixon maybe). But none are so mediocre I dislike them either.
Ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt, especially those with ? cause those I haven’t seen since I “seriously” started rating movies, since 2005.

Good
1. Frost/Nixon (2008): 8.0

Decent
2. Rush (2013): 7.0
3. Apollo 13 (1995): 7.0?
4. EdTV (1999): 7.0?
5. Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018): 6.8

Okay
6. A Beautiful Mind (2001): 6.5
7. Angels & Demons (2009): 6.5
8. In the Heart of the Sea (2015): 6.0

Mediocre
9. The Da Vinci Code (2006): 5.0

His best work next to his narration for AD is Bryce Dallas Howard ;)
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Frost/Nixon is my only favourite, though I did love A Beautiful Mind when I saw it as a teen and have not seen it sense. Apollo 13 is another I quite liked, not to mention the mid-00s Robert De Niro comedy What Just Happened - but there's been such a long time since I saw any of these works. Solo was pretty solid, and most of his films are generally in the solid, ok, good enough range.
beavis

Post by beavis »

Seem to be time for another, let's do another great one from the world of art-house, Abbas Kiarostami https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0452102/
I have a lot of his early work yet to see. It seems less "formal" or experimental and, like much of Iranian cinema, centered on kids and education. I guess that is where his background is and/or that is what strict laws might force you into (like how fairytale cinema was the thing to do for Czecho-slovak and Russian filmmakers who couldn't express anything political)?

I am fairly certain about most of my ratings (out of 10 here) but I have been meaning to re-watch Taste of Cherry for ages now... I have it at only 3 stars on MM, but gave it a more realistic 7 here... If I like it now it could easily be something between an 8 and a 9 though!

1. - Bad ma ra khahad bord (1999) The Wind Will Carry Us - 9
2. - Nema-ye Nazdik (1990) Close-Up - 8,5
3. - Copie conforme (2010) Certified Copy - 8,5
4. - Zire darakhatan zeyton (1994) Through the Olive Trees - 8
5. - 24 Frames (2017) - 8
6. - Five Dedicated to Ozu (2003) - 8
7. - Like Someone in Love (2012) - 8
8. - Shirin (2008) - 7,5
9. - Chacun son cinéma (2007) To Each His Own Cinema - 7,5
10. - Lumière et compagnie (1995) - 7,5
11. - Khane-ye doust kodjast? (1987) Where Is My Friend's House? - 7
12. - Zendegi va digar hich (1992) Life, and Nothing More… - 7
13. - Ta'm e guilass (1997) Taste of Cherry - 7
14. - Mossafer (1974) The Traveler - 7
15. - Dah (2002) Ten - 7
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Ten years ago I thought he WAS Iranian cinema but I didn't know much about it, today I'm not sure he'd crack the top 5 of my favourite Iranian directors, but he made some good films that's for sure:

1. Khane-ye doust kodjast? a.k.a. Where Is the Friend's House?

2. Copie conforme a.k.a. Certified Copy
3. Dah a.k.a. Ten

4. Nema-ye Nazdik a.k.a. Close-Up
5. Ta'm e guilass a.k.a. Taste of Cherry
6. Tadjrebeh a.k.a. The Experience

7. Mossafer a.k.a. The Traveler

8. Be Tartib ya Bedoun-e Tartib a.k.a. Orderly or Disorderly (short)
9. Zendegi va digar hich a.k.a. And Life Goes On
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Life and Nothing More 10
Where Is the Friend's House
Close-Up 9
Five Dedicated to Ozu
Like Someone in Love
Taste of Cherry 8
Certified Copy 7
Through the Olive Trees 6
The Wind Will Carry Us

At least a few of these need rewatches.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Great director. I watched many of them for the first time only recently. Loved all. Will definitely rise high this year in my directors toplist. I've seen 11, average rating: 8.3. Kurosawa's famous quote about him sums it up: "“When Satyajit Ray passed on, I was very depressed. But after seeing Kiarostami’s films, I thanked God for giving us just the right person to take his place".

Excellent
1. Taste of Cherry (1997): 8.8

Good - very good
2. Like Someone in Love (2012): 8.5
3. Ten (2002): 8.5
4. Where Is the Friend's Home? (1987): 8.5
5. Through the Olive Trees (1994): 8.5
6. Close-Up (1990): 8.2
7. The Traveller (1974): 8.2
8. Life and Nothing More... (1992): 8.2
9. The Wind Will Carry Us (1999): 8.2
10. Certified Copy (2010): 8.0
11. Homework (1989): 7.8
tobias

Post by tobias »

I saw quite a few more of his films recently (5 within the last 1,5 years), Taste of Cherry was on the big screen, the others were due to an ARTE retrospective where I finally got my hand on HD versions of some of his Iranian films. I really liked where his Koker trilogy went after the simplistic (and boring) Where is the Friend's Home which I had seen many years earlier. I'd call the trilogy as a whole his defining work over Close-Up even.

1. Close-Up
2. Life and Nothing More...
3. Through the Olive Trees
4. Certified Copy
5. Taste of Cherry
6. The Wind Will Carry Us
7. Like Someone in Love
8. Where is the Friends home
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I'm pretty sure Abbas Kiarostami was my first entry into Iranian cinema, sometime in the early 90s, thanks in great part to Jonathan Rosenbaum's passionate endorsements. For a long time he reigned supreme and alone at the top, but with more and more seen I can now look at his career in the context of the country's cinema a bit more broadly and... he's still pretty much at the top, though joined by the very different Bahram Beizai for joint first-place status, and with several other names (Golestan, Panahi, Rasoulof) very close behind. And I really need to go through Mohsen Makhmalbaf's work again. But wherever he "ranks", Kiarostami will always have a strong place in my personal cinematic odyssey; probably no other director has so influenced the direction my own tastes have developed in the last 30 years. Still have to see Five, Tickets and quite a few shorts (some of which I think are still unavailable; yet again I think, why can't Criterion et al do more in the way of putting out sets of shorts for people like Kiarostami, Resnais, Herzog, etc).

As usual *cinema +multiple viewings; pretty sure I saw some of the shorts in cinema but I don't have a record of it anymore. The rankings below 15 are particularly sketchy, and I badly need to see the Koker trilogy again, among others.

GREAT
1. Nema-ye Nazdik / Close-Up (1990)*+
2. Bad ma ra khahad bord / The Wind Will Carry Us (1999)*+
3. Copie conforme / Certified Copy (2010)*
4. Shirin (2008)
5. Ta'm e guilass / Taste of Cherry (1997)*+
6. Zendegi va digar hich / Life and Nothing More... (1992)*
7. 24 Frames (2016)

EXCELLENT
8. Khane-ye doust kodjast? / Where is the Friend's Home? (1987)*
9. Dah / Ten (2002)
10. 10 on Ten (2004)
11. Gozaresh / The Report (1977)
12. Mashgh-e Shab / Homework (1989)*+
13. Lebassi Baraye Arossi / A Suit for Wedding (1976)
14. Nan va Koutcheh / Bread and Alley (1970) (short)
15. Like Someone in Love (2012)

VERY GOOD
16. Zire darakhatan zeyton / Through the Olive Trees (1994)*
17. Mossafer / The Traveler (1974)
18. Be Tartib ya Bedoun-e Tartib / Orderly or Disorderly (1981) (short)
19. Ghazieh-e Shekl-e Aval, Ghazieh-e Shekl-e Dou Wom / First Case, Second Case (1979)
20. ABC Africa (2001)
21. Dow Rahehal Baraye yek Massaleh / Two Solutions for One Problem (1975)
22. Zang-e Tafrih / The Breaktime (1972) (short)
23. Hamsarayan / The Chorus (1982) (short)
24. Tadjrebeh / The Experience (1973)
25. Hamshahri / Fellow Citizen (1983)

GOOD
26. No (2010) (short)
27. Ranghna / Colors (1976) (short)

WRITER ONLY

EXCELLENT
1. Talaye sorkh / Crimson Gold (Jafar Panahi, 2003)
2. Badkonake sefid / The White Balloon (Jafar Panahi, 1995)*+

VERY GOOD
3. Kelid / The Key (Ebrahim Forouzesh, 1987)

AK was also the title designer for Masud Kimiai's Reza Motori (1969) and Gheisar (1970), both solid mainstream crime films very different from any of his own works - it's interesting that he went from working on films like these to make his own first films about children and education.
beavis

Post by beavis »

I like your top 3! ;)
I just watched the Rasoulof movie in the manager cup, my fourth from him (his latest one will be released in cinema here on December 2nd, so I haven't seen that one yet) but I haven't found a movie from him I really liked yet. And Panahi has made some movies I actually hated... so I remain unsure about how our taste lines up :) I did love what I saw from Beizai though. We need to rank some more Iranian cinema in the future! ;)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I think the only other Iranian directors who could get enough responses on this thread are Makhmalbaf (might as well do the whole family together) and Farhadi; I don't think any others would have been seen enough. Well, maybe Panahi.

Too bad you haven't liked Rasoulof or Panahi so much, but them's the breaks. I felt an instant connection to this cinema when I first started seeing it 30 years ago or so and it's only grown since then, and there really aren't any of the big-name directors that I don't like quite a bit (so far - there are still many that I've seen nothing or very little from). Some of the more commercial family comedy-dramas and war films from the country are certainly not so great, but for me there's something in the approach of most directors in the "arthouse" category that just works almost all the time. I think the regular focus on mixing documentary and fiction, and the ways in which many (if not most of them) subtly subvert a lot of the authoritarian regime's attitudes - and this is where Rasoulof and Panahi are especially strong - just have huge appeal to me. Plus I like a lot of other aspects of Persian culture - the food is second only to India's for my palate, the poetry, etc. I think there is something very special in the East-West juncture where this culture lies, something that might be gotten more in literature actually, and I wish more of that was available. Finally reading Hedayat's The Blind Owl a couple of years ago was like being struck by lightning, but so little fiction from him or anyone else is out there in English, alas.
beavis

Post by beavis »

The Blind Owl is great! Have to thank Ruiz taking it on as a source to make a movie on for discovering it. I know of the culture mainly through movies besides that. And from that alone the great love of poetry is clear. I don't think I have every tried the cuisine... certainly not in a restaurant. In the movies, when the subject is too clearly "an important message" I tend to have a hard time. And Panahi sometimes even just feels... too easy...? When people look at an abstract painting and then say "my 4 year old could make this" I have to sigh about the lack of understanding what the artist was looking for with his work, the concept... So I'll hesitate to say Panahi is "just lazy"... but sometimes that was all I could say about a Panahi movie.

Glad we seem to agree on Kiarostami, and how well he does what he does.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Kiarostami is an excellent director. He and Farhadi are the only Iranian directors where I've seen enough films to have an informed opinion - while Farhadi is overall more in line with my personal taste, this is in no way a negative reflection on Kiarostami. His contemplative, even meditative, style lands particularly well for me in a few films, and I'd certainly like to explore more of his work - some of the ones I saw longer ago, especially Close Up and Taste of Cherry, could do with a rewatch so their rankings are a bit tentative.

Great

1. Copie conforme - Certified Copy (2010) ... #148 all time

Very Good

2. Bad ma ra khahad bord - The Wind Will Carry Us (1999)

Good

3. Khane-ye doust kodjast? - Where is the Friend's House? (1987)
4. Nema-ye Nazdik - Close Up (1990)
5. Zendegi va digar hich - And Life Goes On/Life, and Nothing More (1992)
6. Ta'm e guilass - Taste of Cherry (1997)

Above Average

7. Zire darakhatan zeyton - Through the Olive Trees (1994)

Okay

8. Like Someone in Love (2012)

Not Good
Silga

Post by Silga »

I've only seen Certified Copy. 5/10 at most.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Features

1. 8.4 - Khane-ye doust kodjast? [Where Is the Friend's Home?] (1987)

2. 7.6 - Mossafer [The Traveller] (1974)
2. 7.6 - Nema-ye Nazdik [Close-Up] (1990)

Shorts

1. 8.4 - Nan va Koutcheh [Bread and Alley] (1970)

2. 7.8 - Be Tartib ya Bedoun-e Tartib [Orderly and Disorderly] (1981)
3. 7.6 - Kamsarayan [The Chorus] (1982)
4. 7.4 - Dow Rahehal Baraye yek Massaleh [Two Solutions for One Problem] (1975)

5. 7.0 - No (2010)
🧚‍♂️🦫
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Good idea - and good that I prepared for this by watching the bigger part of his filmography this July. :thumbsup:
An excursion about which I wrote in the Iranian challenge: "Even if my scores don't look exceptionally high it was an enriching cinematic experience. Feels good to catch up after such a long time and finding aspects I can appreciate (composition & photography, most notably)."

I strongly recommend watching the Criterion HD transfers if your only contact with Abbas so far has been on TV in the dark days or via shitty DVD rips - those Blu-ray images are crisp and rich in colors, but always keeping that certain "Iranian village travelogue" charme. Like watching paintings (with some didacticism :p ).

(7,5/10)
1. The Wind Will Carry Us (1999)
2. Certified Copy (2010)
3. And Life Goes On (1992)
4. Through The Olive Trees (1994)
(7/10)
5. Taste of Cherry (1997)
6. Ten (2002)
7. Close-Up (1990)
(6/10 .. like, good ones but nah not 7)
8. Where Is The Friend's House? (1987)
9. The Traveler (1974)
(nope)
10. Five Dedicated To Ozu (2003)

tobias wrote: September 7th, 2021, 10:47 am I really liked where his Koker trilogy went after the simplistic (and boring) Where is the Friend's Home
Thanks for making me feel like a sane person again. That thin line between "poetic" and "mh it's kinda beautiful but not THAT beautiful actually to justify the lack of everything else cinematic" :unsure:

Silga wrote: September 7th, 2021, 9:35 pm I've only seen Certified Copy. 5/10 at most.
While I liked this one very much, it's not the most typical Kiarostami movie. Reminded me more of Michael Haneke and similar European directors. Every movie from 1987-2002 vastly differs from Copie, I wouldn't write the director off if I were you.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

01. 3.0* - To Each His Own Cinema (2007)
02. 2.0* - Taste of Cherry (1997)
03. 1.5* - Like Someone in Love (2012)
04. 1.5* - Close-Up (1990)
05. 1.0* - Venice 70: Future Reloaded (2013)
06. 1.0* - Lumière and Company (1995)
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

1. Dah (2002) 7/10
2. Ta'm e guilass (1997) 7/10
3. Nema-ye Nazdik (1990) 5/10
4. Zire darakhatan zeyton (1994) 5/10
5. Bad ma ra khahad bord (1999) 5/10
6. Zendegi va digar hich (1992) 4/10
7. Khane-ye doust kodjast? (1987) 4/10
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT