Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

V tumane AKA In the Fog (2012) FotW #372

joachimt
Donator

V tumane AKA In the Fog (2012) FotW #372

Post by joachimt »

Film of the Week #372: V tumane AKA In the Fog (2012)

Summary:
Western frontiers of the USSR, 1942. The region is under German occupation. A man is wrongly accused of collaboration. Desperate to save his dignity, he faces impossible moral choice.

#165 on 500<400, with 241 checks.
Nominated by blocho, pitchorneirda and joachimt.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 results
#165(NEW) V tumane (2012)
[In the Fog]

Directed by: Sergey Loznitsa
(494.78 Pts, 8 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–2–5
History: 16554969751618742207NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 238 Checks , 20 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of Voters:
beavis (7)
Angel Glez (10)
cinewest (12)
nimimerkillinen (13)
pitchorneirda (NA)
zuma (47)
dinah (NA)
matthewscott8 (325)

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.
Here is an iCM list of all FotWs.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

This is a great film that 4 of us from the 500<400 have voted among our top 15 in that poll. Looking forward to more people discovering it, and really can't fathom its imdv rating.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

cinewest wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:39 am This is a great film that 4 of us from the 500<400 have voted among our top 15 in that poll. Looking forward to more people discovering it, and really can't fathom its imdv rating.
About the IMDb rating, there might be politics (Russia vs. Ukraine) involved, as Loznitsa directed "Maidan" not so long after that
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

pitchorneirda wrote: February 15th, 2021, 12:45 pm
cinewest wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:39 am This is a great film that 4 of us from the 500<400 have voted among our top 15 in that poll. Looking forward to more people discovering it, and really can't fathom its imdv rating.
About the IMDb rating, there might be politics (Russia vs. Ukraine) involved, as Loznitsa directed "Maidan" not so long after that
IMDb is on par with my own rating, good but nothing great. If it was distorted for political reasons or whatever there would be plentiful of 1 ratings but there are not.
I loved My Joy from the same director though (and with same IMDb rating...).
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

hurluberlu wrote: February 15th, 2021, 9:34 pm
IMDb is on par with my own rating, good but nothing great. If it was distorted for political reasons or whatever there would be plentiful of 1 ratings but there are not.
There are a few of us here who disagree with your assessment, and I consider Loznitsa one of the best filmmakers working these days on the basis of the 3 films I’ve seen by him, My Joy included.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

cinewest wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:43 pm

There are a few of us here who disagree with your assessment, and I consider Loznitsa one of the best filmmakers working these days on the basis of the 3 films I’ve seen by him, My Joy included. In fact, I think so highly of Loznitsa that he is one of my prime candidates for filmmaker of the decade (the 2010's). He made 4 features, and 11 documentaries (half feature length) during that time, and if a couple more hold up to what I have already seen by him (some sound very promising), he's a shoe in.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

cinewest wrote: February 16th, 2021, 3:59 pm

There are a few of us here who disagree with your assessment, and I consider Loznitsa one of the best filmmakers working these days on the basis of the 3 films I’ve seen by him, My Joy included. In fact, I think so highly of Loznitsa that he is one of my prime candidates for filmmaker of the decade (the 2010's). He made 4 features, and 11 documentaries (half feature length) during that time, and if a couple more hold up to what I have already seen by him (some sound very promising), he's a shoe in.
His recent, long-feature documentaries on Moscow 1930 Industrial Party Trial (The Trial) and Staline's death (State Funeral) are well worth a watch.
He is on my top 20 of 2010s director definitely.

ImageImageImageImage
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

hurluberlu wrote: February 16th, 2021, 5:48 pm

His recent, long-feature documentaries on Moscow 1930 Industrial Party Trial (The Trial) and Staline's death (State Funeral) are well worth a watch.
What 10-20 filmmakers have produced more interesting work in the last ten years?
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:07 am
What 10-20 filmmakers have produced more interesting work in the last ten years?
"Interesting" is all relative
Bing Wang, Christian Petzold, Céline Sciamma, Terrence Malick, Arnaud Desplechin, Wes Anderson, Ruben Östlund, Pablo Larraín, Kelly Reichardt... and Christopher Nolan of course

ImageImageImageImage
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

One of my faves, very Bressonian.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

hurluberlu wrote: February 17th, 2021, 6:56 pm

Bing Wang, Christian Petzold, Céline Sciamma, Terrence Malick, Arnaud Desplechin, Wes Anderson, Ruben Östlund, Pablo Larraín, Kelly Reichardt... and Christopher Nolan of course
I like a lot of the filmmakers you have mentioned (in fact we seem to share similar taste), but I’m not sure that any have outstripped Loznitsa in terms of number and quality of productions in the past ten years.
Have you seen A Gentle Creature or Donbass?
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

cinewest wrote: February 18th, 2021, 6:03 am
hurluberlu wrote: February 17th, 2021, 6:56 pm

I like a lot of the filmmakers you have mentioned (in fact we seem to share similar taste), but I’m not sure that any have outstripped Loznitsa in terms of number and quality of productions in the past ten years.
Have you seen A Gentle Creature or Donbass?
I have seen A Gentle Creature but it lost me with its grotesque, over-long finale, a la Fellini. He is a gifted director and his films are comprehensive cinematic experiences, that is for sure.

ImageImageImageImage
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Good atmosphere with slow plot progression (and still quite a lot of repetition in the dialogue).
I liked it but wasn't completely grabbed. Visually also not outstanding.
6/10
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: Directors: Rossellini, Sabu

Last.fm | RYM
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

This movie takes its time. The oft-repeated rule of thumb is one page of script for each minute of movie. But I'm guessing that the script of this 127-minute movie was 40 pages or less. Not that that's a problem. It's a slow burn. And like the best resistance movies, it's not about action or heroism but rather about dread and impossible choices. The first third is nearly perfect. Unfortunately, after that, I think the movie loses some of its tension through a series of character choices that are unexplained and make little sense.
lynchs

Post by lynchs »

matthewscott8 wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:12 pm One of my faves, very Bressonian.
hear hear Sir matthew B)