Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, April nominations (Apr 1st)

How big is your watchlist

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Knaldskalle wrote: February 13th, 2021, 6:23 pm
But your point very much stands. The upcoming Wong Kar-Wai set from Criterion is apparently an excellent example of this. The screenshot comparisons I've seen make me want to avoid this set as much as possible and go for the older individual releases instead. It's absurd to imagine that Leonardo da Vinci would be allowed to alter the Mona Lisa to come closer to his "original vision." Nobody has seen the "original vision" and that's not what became famous in the first place. Want to "fix it?" Go ahead, make another one, don't alter what is already loved. For directors it really shouldn't be difficult to have more than one version out there, but this revisionism where we pretend the new version is the only version is offensive.
re: WKW Ah, I was afraid of that. I only had looked at a handful of screenshots and they did look weird, but I just sort of put it on the mental back-burner. It's a shame - perhaps I'll try to hunt up a few of the older BDs now.

I tend to be closer to the "artists rights absolutism" end of the spectrum when it comes to these things - philosophically speaking. IF there was a miracle and Leonardo was resurrected today, there's a big part of me that says sure, he can fuck around with the Last Supper and Mona Lisa if he wants to, they're HIS. But - that ignores the wishes of those who paid for the works (and if we're going to imagine Leonardo resurrected we might as well imagine his patrons rising out of the earth as well) and of course, as you say, the reasons they became famous in the first place. Still if a living artist who is the sole creator of something wants to alter his/her work - Joyce Carol Oates decides to radically re-write a novel, Bruce Springsteen decides to heavily re-edit and re-engineer Nebraska, etc, my heart tells me for the most part, that's their right. Even if they remove the originals from distribution, there will still be many copies out there in the marketplace - many thousands in the cases of very famous and best-selling creators.

Film is of course different, at least expensive narrative films made by people like Lucas, WKW, Scorsese (uggh, the remastering on Goodfellas a couple of years ago - glad I have an older copy), etc. I don't think any of those guys acted as writer/director/DP/editor/sound editor on any of their films. They may have the legal right to fuck around with them - and they may also cede that legal right to a company like Disney, WB, Criterion, etc - but it is not only their work that is going to be altered, but the work of many other artists and technicians. And all of that ought to count for something.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

At some point I decided that adding movies to my Letterboxd watchlist was fun. Things happened and now I'm sitting at 18,942 and growing.

Seriously though, I spend a lot of time with my watchlist. I have fun discovering new stuff to add, but it's a mess to deal with when it comes to actually watching them, so that defeats the purpose. It's always a good source to pick from anyway. I've been ordering it by country, year and director to make more use of it, but it's quite a task and I should spend that time watching the movies, but you know. It's fun.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

OldAle1 wrote: February 13th, 2021, 7:25 pm
Knaldskalle wrote: February 13th, 2021, 6:23 pm
But your point very much stands. The upcoming Wong Kar-Wai set from Criterion is apparently an excellent example of this. The screenshot comparisons I've seen make me want to avoid this set as much as possible and go for the older individual releases instead. It's absurd to imagine that Leonardo da Vinci would be allowed to alter the Mona Lisa to come closer to his "original vision." Nobody has seen the "original vision" and that's not what became famous in the first place. Want to "fix it?" Go ahead, make another one, don't alter what is already loved. For directors it really shouldn't be difficult to have more than one version out there, but this revisionism where we pretend the new version is the only version is offensive.
re: WKW Ah, I was afraid of that. I only had looked at a handful of screenshots and they did look weird, but I just sort of put it on the mental back-burner. It's a shame - perhaps I'll try to hunt up a few of the older BDs now.
Wow, haven't heard of this until now. For the WKW heads and people interested in version alterings, there you go.
Take a close look at the beloved 90s neon arthouse look and the botch improved remastered revisioning of this scene from Fallen Angels.

[edit]Another one for In The Mood For Love