Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Movie recommendation database

mjf314

Movie recommendation database

Post by mjf314 »

I made a movie recommendation database: https://powerful-shelf-58448.herokuapp.com/

You can search for movies to see a list of similar movies, submitted by users. Then you can recommend a similar movie. Optionally, you can enter a reason.

If you find any bugs, please let me know.

Here's an example of a movie page so you can see what it looks like:
erde

Post by erde »

This is a really nice idea! And I really like the clear, minimalistic implementation. Congrats, mjf314!
Image Image
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Better block people from India or every film will have a Bollywood flick as top recommend :P
Which is a joke, but I think you're right about keeping the popularity down as these update/user content systems are incredibly easy to game.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Whenever I submit a rec, i get this

Matching ID. Please enter a different movie.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Lakigigar wrote: January 30th, 2021, 1:23 pm Whenever I submit a rec, i get this

Matching ID. Please enter a different movie.
Sorry about that. I think it's fixed now.

(I was trying to fix a bug yesterday, but accidentally introduced a bug)
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I just spent about an hour adding recommendations. There are 26 recommendation pairs in the database so far.

There should probably be a page that shows recent recommendations, so maybe I'll work on that next.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

mjf314 wrote: January 30th, 2021, 10:15 pm There should probably be a page that shows recent recommendations, so maybe I'll work on that next.
Now you can see the 5 most recent recommendations on the homepage.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I haven't seen Woman in the Dunes, but I suspect someone could link it with Le trou (for similar style) if i'm right.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

tt2147319 - Herutâ sukerutâ seems bugged?
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

If the title isn't in the database yet, then it displays the ID instead of the title.

I just added the title, so it should display correctly now.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Editing doesn't seem to work. And if i don't add a description, can others do it instead?
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Sorry about that, editing should be working now.

Yes, anyone can add a reason, and it'll display all of the reasons (or lack of reasons) in random order.

There are 57 recommendation pairs in the database so far.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

mjf314 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 12:36 am Sorry about that
Spoiler
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

92 recommendation pairs so far.

When the number grows a bit more, I might consider making a script for iCM, so the recommendations can be displayed directly on the iCM page (but you'll still have to go to my website if you want to add a new recommendation).

Would anyone be interested in that?
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

That would be great!
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

This is fun! I added a few based on some of my recent watches. Obviously it would be nice if you could search by title as well as imdb url, but I know that would be more work on your end.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

beasterne wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 5:00 pm This is fun! I added a few based on some of my recent watches. Obviously it would be nice if you could search by title as well as imdb url, but I know that would be more work on your end.
I'm considering it, but I'm still trying to figure out a good way to implement it.

Alternatively, I could make a script for iCM that links to the recommendations page. That would be very simple to do.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I just added an option to search by title. It searches a static file of the 10000 most popular films, so anything recent or obscure won't show up. Not ideal, but hopefully it's good enough to be useful.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

179 recommendation pairs so far.

I made a script that displays the recommendations directly on iCM.

If you click a recommendation title, it takes you to that movie's iCM page. If you click "Add new recommendation", it takes you to my recommendation website.

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name         movie recommendations
// @match        https://*.icheckmovies.com/movies/*
// @require      https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/axios/dist/axios.min.js
// ==/UserScript==

async function getRecs() {
    const id = document.querySelector('a.optionIMDB').href.match(/tt\d{7,8}/);
    const movieInfo = document.querySelector('#movieInfo');
    if (!id || !movieInfo) return;
    let recs = (await axios.get(`https://powerful-shelf-58448.herokuapp.com/recs/${id}`)).data;
    recs = Object.entries(recs).sort((a, b) => b[1].count - a[1].count);
    movieInfo.insertAdjacentHTML('afterend', `<div id="recs" class="block blockDivider clearfix"></div>`);
    let html = `<h2>Recommendations</h2>`;
    for (let rec of recs) {
        html += `<div><a href="https://www.icheckmovies.com/search/movies/?query=${rec[0]}">${rec[1].title}</a> recommended by ${rec[1].count} user${rec[1].count===1?'':'s'}</div>`;
    }
    if (recs.length === 0) {
        html += '<div>No recommendations yet</div>';
    }
    html += `<br><div><a href="https://powerful-shelf-58448.herokuapp.com/movies/${id}">Add new recommendation</a></div>`;
    document.querySelector('#recs').innerHTML = html;
}

getRecs();
To install the script:
1. Open the Tampermonkey dashboard.
2. Click + to create a new script.
3. Paste the code.
4. Press ctrl+S to save.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

The search by title works great for finding films! But it's not working for me in the add recommendation field. I still had to use the imdb url to add a recommendation to a film.

I added a few more recommendations this morning. It's kind of addictive to see what links you can make between quality films.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

beasterne wrote: February 6th, 2021, 1:19 pm The search by title works great for finding films! But it's not working for me in the add recommendation field.
I haven't implemented search for that field yet, but I'll consider it. I need to think of a good way to display the results so the user can pick the correct one.
fakeusername2

Post by fakeusername2 »

Very cool. Is this based on actual recommendations (i.e., users manually type recommendations if you liked a particular movie)? One thing I've been thinking of and haven't gotten around to is a tool where a bunch of people can link to their IMDb ratings and get recommendations based on their cosine similarity to other users' ratings. This would eliminate the need to make recommendations for each and every movie and it could lead to some interesting recommendations---when I need a movie I tend to look at what people with similar preferences have watched, whereas as far as I can tell the IMDb recommendation system uses more mundane variables (not really interested in a movie just because it has three of the same actors as one I rated highly).

Just a thought if you're working on a project. I haven't had a chance to do this yet but it seems like it ought to be pretty straightforward and you have all the users from this board to get a sufficient amount of data.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Yes, the recommendations are user-submitted.

Criticker has something similar to what you described, in case you want to check it out.

I also made a webpage that generates automated recommendations based on a list of favorites (by comparing your list to other people's lists): https://michaelf314.github.io/movie-recommendations/

If the list isn't too short, the recommendations are usually ok, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with it, so that's why I made the new website.
fakeusername2

Post by fakeusername2 »

Thanks. I really like this other movie recommender you've made---it's not as sleek, but it's pulling up a good-sized list of harder to find movies. And the validity is quite high too (most of the top hits are ones that I also rated highly, despite not having any obvious connections, e.g., same actors or directors). Maybe it's because they cater to the median user, but all the mainstream recommendation systems I've seen are pretty useless in comparison.