Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Les croix de bois AKA Wooden Crosses (1932) FotW #369

joachimt
Donator

Les croix de bois AKA Wooden Crosses (1932) FotW #369

Post by joachimt »

Film of the Week #369: Les croix de bois AKA Wooden Crosses (1932)

Summary:
The young and patriotic student Demachy joins the French army in 1914 to defend his country. But he and his comrades soon experience the terrifying, endless trench war in Champagne, where more and more wooden crosses have to be erected for this cannon fodder.

#115 on 500<400, with 279 checks.
Nominated by blocho, joachimt and Traveller.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 results
#115(NEW) Les croix de bois (1932)
[Wooden Crosses]

Directed by: Raymond Bernard
(564.62 Pts, 13 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–5
History: 11551320476531551893NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 280 Checks , 26 Favourites , 3 Official lists
List of Voters:
Panunzio (5)
Mysterious Dude (34)
Lonewolf2003 (39)
zuma (42)
Opio (44)
Good_Will_Harding (NA)
outdoorcats (65)
jeroeno (73)
ororama (74)
Timec (81)
RogerTheMovieManiac88 (NA)
Gordon_Gekko (179)
beavis (219)

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Great movie. Mostly remember the great cinematography and directing, like in the superimposition posed above and humanistic characters. This is what I wrote after seeing it:
"Although this one is made two decades before it, this reminded my very much of Fuller's Fixed Bayonets in how they both portray how a group of soldiers experience the war in a humane realistic way without going into the ideologies behind their wars."
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

joachimt wrote: January 25th, 2021, 5:55 am Film of the Week #369: Les croix de bois AKA Wooden Crosses (1932)

Don't know if it is only me but I cant see the picture and any of the previous FotW OP pictures anymore.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I can. That's probably the problem discussed a while ago with a simple solution, but I can't remember where it was discussed and what the solution is. :(
PA knows.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Decent war movie, beautifully shot. Might add it to my <400 list. Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbsup:
ICM
February Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Not at all like the American remake I saw eight years ago. This is the simplest of war stories. Reinforcements join a French company in the early days of the WWI. They go to the front. After a while, they are relieved and fall back. The pattern repeats several times. That's the whole story. Within that narrative are smaller dramas (the company can hear German miners tunneling beneath their dugout, a poilu tries to get water resupplied while the company is pinned down in a cemetery). The battle scenes themselves are sometimes a bit staged but at other times feel shockingly realistic, to the point where I wondered whether genuine historical footage had been included. Who, after all, was using a handheld camera in 1932? What shines through were the small moments of grace and sadness: The company attends a church service where someone sings Ave Maria while amputees are tended in a nearby ward, a lookout stoically listens to a wounded man trapped in no man's land crying out for help.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

hurluberlu wrote: January 26th, 2021, 6:36 pm Don't know if it is only me but I cant see the picture and any of the previous FotW OP pictures anymore.
I commented on that once in WC, it's the same since then

This glorious movie only gets me progress on 1 war list other than the forum list. Unacceptable.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484