Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

ICMF-FF5: Programmer's Thread

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

So I have been spending some time adding some qualifying movies for the threads which need more nominations onto my overloaded watchlist, but they will be on more of a priority than most other movies on it. As long as I can get to them in the next few months and they turn out to be as good as I hope them to I may have some nominations for them.

Also something that has been bugging me slightly, only because it is my nationality, but I'm a little disappointed there isn't much room for Australian movies in the festival. We have sections for Asia/Africa, Europe, South America and US but nothing for my neck of the woods. I was therefore wandering, if we are struggling for Independent nominations could Australian films be nominated here? The majority would be Independent anyway (of course any major studio ones wouldn't be included) and seem like a good fit for what we want in that section. If this is taken on the already nominated 'Brother's Nest' would therefore be eligible for that thread. Just an idea I wanted to throw out there.
beavis

Post by beavis »

Officially it is English language Independent, so Austraulia would be the perfect fit there!
... i just hope we are able to catch at least some of the still very much thriving US scene too... :)
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

beavis wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:30 am Officially it is English language Independent, so Austraulia would be the perfect fit there!
... i just hope we are able to catch at least some of the still very much thriving US scene too... :)
OK sweet, it was just sounding like US (and if needed Canada) independent to me. I have a few US Indie stuff lined up but yeah I am going to take a look at some Aussie/New Zealand stuff to just to give a little flavour from here to the mix.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

English-language independent (it's not US Indie - we've had non-American indies in that slate previously) is where I would put Australian films as well. Of course, they're also eligible in all of the genre slates, as well as the main slate.

Edit: I was too slow, beavis and you already replied :lol:
beavis

Post by beavis »

Babyteeth has been very popular in the past year, and still qualifies. Haven't seen that one yet
Don't watch a lot of Australian cinema in general... latest major discovery was Amiel Courtin-Wilson, and that has been a way back already... so yes, please bring your local knowledge!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I was just checking out Babyteeth, actually, because it's in Ehrlich's year end video. The girl looks familiar, but I haven't seen anything with her yet (she's also in Little Women), and it turns out the boy is in a short film I saw and loved last year (Nursery Rhymes) and is in another short + feature that I've been wanting to see for a while. Too bad the Oceania challenge isn't until December, long after we decide the slates.

If Babyteeth becomes available, I might check it out too.
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

I watched Babyteeth last week and really enjoyed it. I would definitely support it although I think it's more than likely to cross the vote threshold before the festival starts.

I'm all for Brothers' Nest being a good fit for the indie section if it gets the required support. I had highlighted it for the just before dawn section but that was primarily because I saw it at a horror festival. It is probably better categorised as a dark crime thriller than a horror.

Put me down as another person who loves checking out the latest Australian cinema, particularly the genre films.
kingink

Post by kingink »

Let me give you some nominations. At least the ones I am sure of.

First I will add the LGBT nominations because I am sure of these three.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8963708/
And then we danced (2019)
A gay themed film from Georgia. It was Sweden's nomination for the 92nd Academy Awards for Best International Film since it was Swedish as well apparently :D
It's about a dancer of traditional Georgian dances and his struggles with his career, his sexuality, his rivalry with the new dancer, his family and the conservative Georgia in general. You may think that it's a typical gay themed movie, dealing with the same issues, but it's a great film! It's very well-made, with great acting and some great dancing scenes. It's a delicate film full of emotions and I especially liked how he set his main character in a very masculine set of traditional dances instead of dealing with the "oh dancing is for girls" idea that we have seen before. Highly recommended from me and it's an official check as well as it won the Guldbagge Award. But it has 9.000 ratings on IMDB... shit... I doubt it will surpass the 10.000 mark though. But these 9.000 people gave it a 7,8 imdb rating.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9845398/
End of the century (Fin de siglio) 2019
A wonderful Argentinian gay themed film dealing with themes like loneliness, companionship, missed opportunities and other universal human issues. It could easily be about a straight couple (with a few tweeks in the script of course ;) ). The non-linear story makes it very interesting and the film did a very good job trying to answer the question "What if?" What if our lives had taken a different turn based on some decisions we made in the past.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7666724
This is not Berlin (Esto no es Berlin) (2019)
I couldn't leave this one out :lol:

A Mexican film this time and another LGBT entry from me. A coming-of-age story in the 80's taking place in Mexico City where two teenagers embrace the sexy, drug-fueled lifestyle of the Aztec. A nightclub full of teen-angst, sexual freedom and a sence of liberation. It's semi-autobiographical, so don't expect drama of epic proportions. But this is why it worked for me. It's fun, exciting, with the perfect amount of drama to keep you interested. Let's see if you like it. As you can understand I don't heve the urge to write long reviews. I just write what comes to mind. Hope that helps.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I went through the nomiations so far, and these will be my top priorities:

Beavis:

Djamilia
Jinpa (Zhuang si le yi zhi yang)
Firefly
-
Chun Jiang Shui Nuan / Dwelling in the Fuchun Mountains
Classical Period

Fergenaprido:

Talking About Trees
-
Yara
The Shiny Shrimps
El despertar de las hormigas
Les invisibles
Las herederas

Filmbantha:

Brother's Nest
Bait
-
Fried Barry
Jesus Shows you the way to the Highway

zzzorf:

Rejected
A Whisker Away
-
Aniara
Hakubo

Kingink:

And Then We Danced
kingink

Post by kingink »

I added another entry for the animation section.
Since there are some anime entries I am trying to find some other styles of animation.
The Swallows of Kabul definitely needs to be one of our picks, but I also have Away to present to you guys.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8288450

It has a great animation style. Almost minimalistic, but stunningly beautiful. It's about a boy you finds himself on an island and tries to find a way to escape. He befriends a little bird and is pursued by a monster. The fact that the story is so minimalistic as well, makes it even more engaging, since it urges you to find the symbolism in this hypnotizing atmosphere.
It's from Latvia which makes it even more interesting!
kingink

Post by kingink »

A technical issue... I added Away to the spreadsheet but the columns with the number of votes, average score etc is not automatically filled. Should I do something else rather than just adding a line and filling the movie info? Sorry. I am not the best with excel and spreadsheets.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

kingink wrote: January 14th, 2021, 8:23 am A technical issue... I added Away to the spreadsheet but the columns with the number of votes, average score etc is not automatically filled. Should I do something else rather than just adding a line and filling the movie info? Sorry. I am not the best with excel and spreadsheets.
All fixed for you. I've been keeping an eye on the spreadsheet and fixing all the minor things like that that I can do to take some load of Fergenaprido, just leaving him all the bigger things that I know nothing about
kingink

Post by kingink »

zzzorf wrote: January 14th, 2021, 9:06 am
kingink wrote: January 14th, 2021, 8:23 am A technical issue... I added Away to the spreadsheet but the columns with the number of votes, average score etc is not automatically filled. Should I do something else rather than just adding a line and filling the movie info? Sorry. I am not the best with excel and spreadsheets.
All fixed for you. I've been keeping an eye on the spreadsheet and fixing all the minor things like that that I can do to take some load of Fergenaprido, just leaving him all the bigger things that I know nothing about

Thank you! But if there is something I can do, please tell me because I have more nominations coming. Unless you guys are kind enough to do it for me since I acknowledge my incompetence :D
Dealing with basic Word for my work all these years really left me behind on stuff.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks zzzorf.

@kingink: Depends on how you added the film. Did you insert a new row somewhere? Support Ratio and Average Score won't display until there are at least 2 votes, but the others should show up right away. I can also add a bunch of blank rows at the bottom of the list (above the break) that have all the formulas ready to go if you'd like. Then you'd just have to add the film, info, and your score.
kingink

Post by kingink »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 14th, 2021, 7:47 pm
Thanks zzzorf.

@kingink: Depends on how you added the film. Did you insert a new row somewhere? Support Ratio and Average Score won't display until there are at least 2 votes, but the others should show up right away. I can also add a bunch of blank rows at the bottom of the list (above the break) that have all the formulas ready to go if you'd like. Then you'd just have to add the film, info, and your score.
Oh OK. Yes I just added a new row and added my score. The thing I noticed is that the Seen column wasn't filled with the number 1 after I added my score. So I was wondering if I should do something else rather than just adding a row in the right alphabetical order. If indeed there is something more I should do then tell me or just add a bunch of rows ready for me. I have some nominations coming. Thanks!!!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

No worries. Just checked and the formulas don't automatically get added when inserting a new row. I've added 10 blank ones at the bottom for you (or anyone else) with the formulas already there. You can drag them to the right alphabetical order after, if you want, or I can sort that range later as well.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Well I watched my first nominated film by another user, unfortunately I decided to go with an Art-House movie first with Air Conditioner. Please don't take my non-support of the movie to heart, this will probably happen to must arty films, just not my thing. I do see potential for others and I did partly enjoy my first taste of Angolese cinema but I am just the wrong audience here.

On the flipside though I have watched a few qualifying movies and have found a few more I will nominate for the slates that need some alternatives.
The Bridge Master's Daughter (2018) Found on Kanopy, this Documentary takes a look at a Peruvian man who is the main person responsible for a woven bridge and his family, particularly his daughter, who are trying to get out on their own and away from the family tradition.
Stop Filming Us (2020) A documentary about Congo and how the western media influence is harmful to the country with furthers into can a westerner, even with the best intentions, make a documentary that truly shows the Congolese properly.
Sofia (2018) An unwed Moroccan girl gives birth not knowing she was pregnant, which having a baby out of wedlock is a criminal offence. To save herself from jail she must find the father.

With that being my 13th nomination I might leave it there for now so I have plenty up my sleeve while I watch more, I cannot always nominate other stuff I have down the track. I have updated my IMDb list now to hold a lot more films but I don't plan on watching them all, it just gives me some ideas if the mood finds me for them.
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

Sofia is available on prime so I have added it to my watchlist and will take a look at that some time. I had a quick scan through your updated imdb list and spotted Anything For Jackson on there. That is one of my potential nominees, and gets a 3 from me. It's very creepy and a strong contender for the just before dawn segment. I will probably plump for it in my next batch of noms unless you watch it beforehand and beat me to it.
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Is there an imdb/icm list of the nominations?
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: Directors: Rossellini, Sabu

Last.fm | RYM
beavis

Post by beavis »

do you want to follow along?
in that case you might as well become a programmer, right?! ;)
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Melvelet wrote: January 17th, 2021, 1:20 pm Is there an imdb/icm list of the nominations?
I was keeping a private list but I just made it public so you can see it https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... ns/zzzorf/
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

kingink wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:26 pm I added another entry for the animation section.
Since there are some anime entries I am trying to find some other styles of animation.
The Swallows of Kabul definitely needs to be one of our picks, but I also have Away to present to you guys.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8288450

It has a great animation style. Almost minimalistic, but stunningly beautiful. It's about a boy you finds himself on an island and tries to find a way to escape. He befriends a little bird and is pursued by a monster. The fact that the story is so minimalistic as well, makes it even more engaging, since it urges you to find the symbolism in this hypnotizing atmosphere.
It's from Latvia which makes it even more interesting!
This got a great shoutout in the latest Sight and Sound as well, colour me intruiged.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

zzzorf wrote: January 17th, 2021, 8:05 am Well I watched my first nominated film by another user, unfortunately I decided to go with an Art-House movie first with Air Conditioner. Please don't take my non-support of the movie to heart, this will probably happen to must arty films, just not my thing. I do see potential for others and I did partly enjoy my first taste of Angolese cinema but I am just the wrong audience here.
No worries, will be the same for me in just about anything chosen for Just Before Dawn :D

And that's great, means we will get very varied choices.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

zzzorf wrote: January 17th, 2021, 7:49 pm
Melvelet wrote: January 17th, 2021, 1:20 pm Is there an imdb/icm list of the nominations?
I was keeping a private list but I just made it public so you can see it https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... ns/zzzorf/
Just wanted to add: Thank you for this. Great for overview!
kingink

Post by kingink »

beavis and fergen?
I see you have checked https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8726098/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 Tarde Para Morir Joven
But none of you nominated it. I shouldn't bother watching it? I am still watching some films I had in my mind in order to finalize my nominees
beavis

Post by beavis »

It's a 7.5 for me so I would support it, but not nominate it. A fine but not very spectacular or memorable movie for me
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I gave it a 6.8, so it's likely a 0 from me, or possibly a 1. We don't have a lot of Latin American films under consideration yet, though, so perhaps still give it a go? I don't know your tastes yet so can't predict whether you'd like it or not.

Also, while I'm here, I watched The Image Book. Let's just say I'm not a fan and leave it at that :D
I also added my rating for the Swallows of Kabul (saw last year): it's a 0 from me.
kingink

Post by kingink »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 20th, 2021, 8:46 pm I gave it a 6.8, so it's likely a 0 from me, or possibly a 1. We don't have a lot of Latin American films under consideration yet, though, so perhaps still give it a go? I don't know your tastes yet so can't predict whether you'd like it or not.

Also, while I'm here, I watched The Image Book. Let's just say I'm not a fan and leave it at that :D
I also added my rating for the Swallows of Kabul (saw last year): it's a 0 from me.
I saw that 0 but I decided not to comment on it :lol: :P
I already have one film eligible for the latin american slate and maybe the art-house one. I will post it. I watched several others but they were mostly 7s so i couldn't nominate them. I am still searching that's why I asked. I will search some more. I will watch it and see were it lands, because I think my taste is quite compatible with beavis'.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

It is only in the second half of the spreadsheet, therefore ones that were nominated in previous years and is eligible but has not yet been nominated this year.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

zzzorf wrote: January 24th, 2021, 3:43 am
It is only in the second half of the spreadsheet, therefore ones that were nominated in previous years and is eligible but has not yet been nominated this year.
oh, okay. I didn't differentiate in my own spreadsheet but wondered why I couldn't find it when adding to iCM disc stack to watch

too many things to check :huh:
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

I watched Impetigore over the weekend and it was another solid horror outing for Joko Anwar, who has been doing a superb job of putting Indonesian horror on the map for some time now. He is great at creating a sense of dread and unease with striking visuals that help to establish a pervasively creepy atmosphere and his technique has become far more polished with his most recent efforts. His storytelling in Impetigore lacks the bite or originality seen through much of his earlier work though and sadly falls foul of the classic horror cliche where the lead characters make a number of questionable decisions, which starts from the very first scene.

It gets a 6/10 or a 1 from me and it's definitely worth a watch for anyone who enjoys their horror. It's a decent film though not particularly remarkable or memorable and I'm happy to support it for the festival but I think there are better options out there.

I also noticed that Brothers' Nest and Wilkolak are both currently streaming on Amazon Prime UK, in case that is useful for anyone who would like to watch these nominations.
beavis

Post by beavis »

I agree with you on this and I hope that with the amount of genre nominations so far we'll end up with more options of "excellence" than just "decent"... but any horror fan will have fun with it I'm sure.

I still haven't gotten active enough with my FFF watch lists in the meantime (next month I promise to come with a new batch of nominations), but I watched a Whisker Away recently, which is a very solid anime. a lot of the elements feel reminiscent of other works, so it wasn't a home run for me, but a very solid effort indeed.
Spoiler
The movie might have been a home run if the main character, who feels she isn't loved by anyone, not even her parents, wouldn't have an amazingly loyal friend from early childhood on... that character seems to be there only to soften the emotional blows of the premise somewhat I felt.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I would like to nominate Clemency (2019) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5577494/reference for the Indie category. While it's an official check from the Sundance list, it's only been rated about 3500 times on IMDb. Only 133 checks on iCM. Ticks boxes: American Indie, well-made, well-acted, includes POC both in front and behind lens, directed by a woman, etc.

It follows the female, Black warden through two executions at a state prison in the US. Thoughtful and deeply emotional, it seeks to call attention to how dealing with death row affects people other than the prisoner (though it also provides food for thought about them as well). While it's clear that the filmmakers aren't supportive of capital punishment for a host of reasons, this fact isn't belabored and seeks more to ask if such a system is worthwhile. (Sorry, not doing a very good job "selling" the film right now.)

My decision to nominate is less about the content than the use of cinema to deal with a difficult, emotionally challenging topic in a sensitive manner and certainly highlights cinema's effort to do something other than provide mindless entertainment. While I don't want to program in a vacuum, the film has "best of" buzz and might be a good fit if the slate is well-balanced. I do get that the subject matter isn't going to send this to a lot of watchlists, but I didn't want that to keep if from consideration.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

okay, just finished McQueen (2019). It is a hold over from last year, that as best I can tell, met with mixed reviews. I only saw commentary from PGonzalez who was less than enthusiastic but two other votes that were more so. I certainly would have supported this over a couple other docus last festival. (I'd support for LGBTQ, but not arthouse)

My initial reaction is: overlong by about 30 minutes and this is especially troubling because I don't really feel like I got to know the man and it's about him and his art. And while I did get to see a tremendous amount of his art, it's all going by at a pace that would make MTV blush. Then there are all the talking heads: that's where I'd probably trim a good portion of the 30 minutes, especially if they are talking about other people. IDK, the editing leaves something to be desired. I also wasn't particularly thrilled with the score: sort of felt like someone trying to emulate Glass' score for Koyaanisqatsi, and trying too hard at it to boot.

However, that said, this still is fairly provocative work. We are at once asked to confront both the stupidity of haute couture and the incendiary nature of high art. It's about snobbery and the common man. It's all about the idiocy of fame, capitalism, and the media; especially the intersection of the three and it's about what this intersection does to real people. I have zero interest in couture but I'm immensely fascinated by art and the artistic process. In some senses, this is a fascinating movie on those two counts though I'm not sure we really get inside the creative process since we get something like, and I paraphrase, "Oh, you know, he just threw it all together at the last minute." Once again ignoring the hard work that most success requires and perpetuating the mythology that true greatness just happens, almost accidentally. So, we can either accept what we are being told or we can think about it. I did find this movie quite good at getting me to think: about the clothes, about the themes, about art. Often it's very stunning visually, but then that gets broken up with ghastly home videos. I get why they used them, but it just counteracted the stylistic completeness and flow of the film.

Again, I'm not really sure that this is what our audience is looking for and that's probably the biggest other reason that I can't rave about it. But if, as programmers, we seek to do more than entertain, this is that in spades. While we don't really need to reexamine the talking head aspects of so much documentary filmmaking, we can ask the question: how does McQueen use this technique? Does it work? Are we engaged or put off? What is it we want from a documentary? Does this feel fresher? Edgier? Or is it still weighed down by the traditional gravity of documentary filmmaking. Then there are the questions about art itself. How is our response to the art framed by our expectations of the medium and methodology? Can a regular Joe be an artist? Was McQueen a regular guy (if gay guys can ever be viewed as regular)?

My hope is we can keep this in reserve should we need to fill a spot in documentary. While there is a strong LGBTQ aspect, this really doesn't touch on the issues of LGBTQ in fashion near enough for me to feel it is a strong theme: it mostly just is there, in the background, because it's very much a part of who McQueen was.
kingink

Post by kingink »

xianjiro wrote: January 26th, 2021, 7:24 pm I would like to nominate Clemency (2019) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5577494/reference for the Indie category. While it's an official check from the Sundance list, it's only been rated about 3500 times on IMDb. Only 133 checks on iCM. Ticks boxes: American Indie, well-made, well-acted, includes POC both in front and behind lens, directed by a woman, etc.

It follows the female, Black warden through two executions at a state prison in the US. Thoughtful and deeply emotional, it seeks to call attention to how dealing with death row affects people other than the prisoner (though it also provides food for thought about them as well). While it's clear that the filmmakers aren't supportive of capital punishment for a host of reasons, this fact isn't belabored and seeks more to ask if such a system is worthwhile. (Sorry, not doing a very good job "selling" the film right now.)

My decision to nominate is less about the content than the use of cinema to deal with a difficult, emotionally challenging topic in a sensitive manner and certainly highlights cinema's effort to do something other than provide mindless entertainment. While I don't want to program in a vacuum, the film has "best of" buzz and might be a good fit if the slate is well-balanced. I do get that the subject matter isn't going to send this to a lot of watchlists, but I didn't want that to keep if from consideration.
Oh yeah! I was gonna nominate it myself. It's a great slow-burner movie but it carries a punch. I should nominate some films before you guys take them from me... :D
kingink

Post by kingink »

I will start with 2 documentaries.

For Sama https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9617456/?ref_=ttls_li_tt
I see that some people have already seen it and I know that it has alomost 9.000 ratings on imdb, but it's such a great doc and I think it will draw people into the festival. It's an official check as well. I loved how it gives a great insight on why people are leaving Syria. After watvhing this one you can't even think twice about the reasons that led all those people to become refugees. It's strong, heart-wrenching at times, but very warm as well as you immediately love those people. I want it to be a nomination and if it goes over 10.000 ratings by the time the festival starts, well... too bad.

Minding the gap https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7476236/
Another great doc that can even work for the indie slate. It's in multiple lists about the best indie films of 2018 and another official check.
It's a doc that the director made with the footage that he was filming throughout his long friendship with the guys he grew up together. He creates a very real portray of those guys showing all the struggles that they faced while growing up and how they were affected through the years. He talks about serious matters like abuse and how they found a way out by skating. Again almost 8.000 ratings but I think we shouldn't miss out on including it.
kingink

Post by kingink »

Let's go for a Latin American nomination next.

Song Without a Name aka Cancion sin nombre https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1824932/

It's a film from Peru dealing with some real problems that Peru was facing and probably still does. Georgina had a baby that was stolen from her. Sje was unable to do anything until a journalist comes to her aid trying to discover what happened. Using this plot line a s a base, the film is dealing with other social and political plot lines as well in order to depict the real life of late 1980s Peru . And very successfully I have to say. Melina Leon (the director) creates some great visuals in the style of Tarr or Angelopoulos, but is very sensitive in her approach, that makes her film very welcoming.
kingink

Post by kingink »

Two more indies now.

Rocks https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9067182/

It's a coming of age drama about Rocks (a teenage girl) coming from immigrant parents, living in East London. It feels like a modern and authentic depiction of the lives of people there. But as a film needs to do, it puts the protagonist though some hardships. ;)
And then we see how a 16 year-old tries to stay strong and maintain a balance in her life while everything is crumbling around her. It's not the best film you will ever watch, but it's a very nice "festival" film that feels current, it's well acted, well directed by Sarah Gavron (Suffragette https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3077214/?ref_=nm_knf_t1) and is bound to be liked by most viewers.

Residue https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11568878/

A film about racism and gentrification of black neighbourhoods. It's autobiographical more or less and it's about a young film-maker who returns to the hood where he grew up and experiences all the changes all around him. He sees white folks moving in changing the neighbourhood, his childhood friends that have already wasted their lives, casual everyday racism etc. But it's not another one-note film about racism. First of all the director uses some great tricks that give a whole different character to the film. I don't want to spoil too much, but I will say that the way he visualizes feelings and the imagination of the character is great. But what I liked most is that the film doesn't shy away from showing the flaws of the characters. So it gives a nice perspective, quite different from the saint-like victimhood of the main characters we see in some new films about racism.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Have already seen For Sama and will support. Minding the Gap should be here shortly. I'm not going to update my spreadsheet right now. Want to 1) work through my current stack and 2) finish searching through the current list. Once I get done with the searches, I'll just try to get new titles and start the process over. It's mostly just getting things cued up and working through the stack. A lot of my holds finally got processed the last couple weeks and I've got a huge stack of discs to get through.