Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: TV-series (Results), Directors (Jan 2nd), 1980 (Jan 24th), <50 checks (Jan 31st)
Challenges: 1000<400, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Central American/Andean
Film of the Week: The Milagro Beanfield War, February nominations (Jan 29th)

Laissez bronzer les cadavres AKA Let the Corpses Tan (2017) FotW #361

Cocoa
Donator

Laissez bronzer les cadavres AKA Let the Corpses Tan (2017) FotW #361

Post by Cocoa »

Film of the Week #361: Laissez bronzer les cadavres AKA Let the Corpses Tan (2017)

Summary:
A grizzled thug and his gang head to an island retreat with a haul of 250 kilograms of gold bullion to lay low; however, a bohemian writer, his muse, and a pair of gendarmes further complicate things, as allegiances are put to the test.

#345 on 500<400, with 246 checks.
Nominated by 72aicm, blocho, joachimt, and Traveller.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 results
#345(NEW) Laissez bronzer les cadavres (2017)
[Let the Corpses Tan]

Directed by: Hélène Cattet, Bruno Forzani
(353.7 Pts, 9 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–4
History: 3451070NANANANANA←NA
ICheckMovies: 241 Checks , 22 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of Voters:
Cocoa (9)
devinthesky (26)
outdoorcats (36)
TraverseTown (48)
matthewscott8 (97)
ckfilm88 (106)
beavis (108)
filmbantha (208)
Gorro (295)

Here is a schedule of all the FotW.
Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa »

I love the cinematography.
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

My shoddy review from June 2018:

"What I found lacking was an exploration of the libidinal unconscious and multilayered duplicitous identities, as well as an atmospheric claustrophobic edginess embroiled in a labyrinthine building complex, all present in both 'Amer' and 'L'étrange couleur des larmes de ton corps' which I love. Some such aspects develop as the film goes on - dark silhouettes, invisible shooters, church ruins, the tanning Sun and Goddess of Death, etc. - hence why the last 20 minutes are certainly the best, but generally it was all rather thin with merely people running around on an island like ants, killing each other with time-announcements attempting to press towards some climax. It's obviously stylish and dope... but unfortunately failing to engage on the levels of relentless intensity of their previous two features (and shorts)."

6/10
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

Might give it a rewatch someday, since C&F are favourite directors, and I realise now (perhaps fallaciously), the film could've been inspired by a lot of Spaghetti Westerns, which I was only truly initiated to this year.

The Burning Sun Eye & 'Volcanic' Island shoot-outs settings I'm enjoying more too, so their previous two films "claustrophobic edginess" is certainly not something I should've "desired" here or found "lacking", "lack" being a word I've now thrown out of my vocabulary, so my entire review above is, from my current perspective, pretty much completely off-point.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

My review:

The latest Cattet/Forzani is probably one of the most conflicted films I've ever seen. It's both one of the worst and one of the best films I know, and it's like that from start to finish. It speaks for the talent of the directorial duo that they got me this far and it makes me wonder if they could push it even further. My problem with Let the Corpses Tan is that I feel nothing for the film's influences. Cattet/Forzani are known for paying homage to cult/pulp of the 60s, 70s and 80s (think grindhouse, spaghetti westerns, Giallo), genres and eras I dislike with a vengeance. They don't really modernize these influences, but instead of tipping a hat or two, every single scene, every single moment is a hyper-stylized reference. Cattet and Forzani take the ugliest cinema I know and do the coolest things with it. It's the weirdest feeling, I'm used to liking/disliking certain aspects of a film, but never at the same time and for the entire length of the film. It's cinema that deserves to be watched though. Completely unique, insanely stylized and impossible to compare with anything else out there. One of the most memorable films I've ever seen, but not a personal favorite.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

This movie has style. A lot of style. Oodles and oodles of style. Much of it seems to come from Spaghetti Westerns. Leone is a clear influence. And a lot of it looks really, really cool. Just check this out:

What this movie doesn't have is anything else. Its plot is somehow both threadbare and hard to follow. All of that style can feel exhausting. Does the 300th extreme close-up of a gun or off-kilter angle make the movie better? Maybe. I felt bored long before the end.