Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

What's the most underwatched type of film on this forum?

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Based on last 200 viewings,

60% Non-English approx. from directors names
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Maybe Lakigigar is lumping underwatched and underappreciated together?
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Not saying i'm a good example. My main problem is classic or older cinema. Eventually i'll get to it, but I even almost completely ignored the 90's. Right now, focusing on watching more contemporary Asian cinema (which is something i haven't done all that much either), but there are lots of english and other non anglophonic, non-asian movies i want to see too.

I haven't seen 100 movies in the last 365 days also.

Worth to note there are much more movies produced nowadays, so i think it should be seen as pretty normal you've seen a lot from last decade, esp. since you haven't seen anything when a new decade starts.

So yes, contemporary cinema in general.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Histogram of my last 500 checks

Around 70% non-English for the 100 most recent releases
Might be one of the few to be guilty of not watching that many recent movies though
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Lakigigar wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:29 pm So yes, contemporary cinema in general.
My point was not to attack you by showing your stats. My point is that you shouldn't simply make a statement like this without backing it up with stats. Have you looked into the checkhistory of the top 50 most active users of this forum to make a statement about "this forum"?

I wonder, after seeing my histogram, do you still think I don't watch enough recent cinema?
pitchorneirda wrote: February 18th, 2021, 1:01 am Might be one of the few to be guilty of not watching that many recent movies though
When I look at your histogram, I think you watch plenty of recent movies. Your recent watches are slightly tilted towards the 60's and 70's, but your main gap isn't the last decade, but the 50's and earlier.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

The big bump for 1950s-1970s is leftover from Horror and Noirvember challenges.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

These are my stats so far this year. Note, they are quite skewered compared to previous years, as I've joined ICMFFF as a programmer for the first time:

Overall: 119
10s: 1
20s: 2
30s: 4
40s: 4
50s: 5
60s: 9
70s: 10
80s: 3
90s: 5
00s: 5
10s: 59
20s: 12

At present films from the last 12 years are at 60%.

This extreme focus on new films will quiet down over the year, but I still expect to see double numbers of my standard viewings from the last/current decade. For comparison here's my viewings in 2020 and 2019:

2020 Overall: 759
10s: 5
20s: 17
30s: 35
40s: 44
50s: 51
60s: 80
70s: 98
80s: 98
90s: 88
00s: 65
10s: 152
20s: 13

2019 Overall: 753
10s: 1
20s: 20
30s: 77
40s: 32
50s: 101
60s: 155
70s: 117
80s: 84
90s: 56
00s: 23
10s: 87

Definitely an interesting trend shift with the last two decades being 22% and 15% respectively in the two previous years. That may still be "overrepresented" given the vastness of cinema out there, but that is also because I have seen quite strong numbers from previous years and that there is a lot to discover from a new year.

*The above numbers do not include rewatches
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

joachimt wrote: February 18th, 2021, 6:00 am
Lakigigar wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:29 pm So yes, contemporary cinema in general.
My point was not to attack you by showing your stats. My point is that you shouldn't simply make a statement like this without backing it up with stats. Have you looked into the checkhistory of the top 50 most active users of this forum to make a statement about "this forum"?

I wonder, after seeing my histogram, do you still think I don't watch enough recent cinema?
pitchorneirda wrote: February 18th, 2021, 1:01 am Might be one of the few to be guilty of not watching that many recent movies though
When I look at your histogram, I think you watch plenty of recent movies. Your recent watches are slightly tilted towards the 60's and 70's, but your main gap isn't the last decade, but the 50's and earlier.
I understand. Perhaps Onderhond is right I confuse underappreciating with underwatching.

The problem with me is I underwatch everything except the 10's but there are still movies from the last decade where people would say: how on Earth didn't you watch Mad Max: Fury Road and you call yourself a lover of cinema. I mean.

There are some reasons I watch like 75% english-language movies
1. Sometimes i'm forced to pick a movie to watch with someone else and i try to look for one we will both like. They veto all non-dutch, non-english movies. It's not an issue because I have watched 1917, Midsommar and movies like that instead.

2. Availability is another issue. It's hard to find some foreign language movies both legal and illegal.

So it could be less dominated by english-language and in the future it will be.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Lakigigar wrote: February 18th, 2021, 3:24 pm The problem with me is I underwatch everything except the 10's but there are still movies from the last decade where people would say: how on Earth didn't you watch Mad Max: Fury Road and you call yourself a lover of cinema. I mean.
No matter how many movies you've seen, you will still get remark like this now and then.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I can only speak for myself, but I watch a very high amount of contemporary foreign cinema.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.