Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

What movies did you watch in school?

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

The Sweet Hereafter (dutch class)
American History X (religion class)
Das Experiment (religion class)
Sommersturm (religion class)
Jeux d'enfants (french class)
Mean Creek (religion class)
Take the Lead (religion class)
Klass (religion class)
Die Welle (religion class)
Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis (french class)
Lo imposible (during a school strike)
Intouchables (french class)
Last edited by Lakigigar on February 3rd, 2021, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Religion class was not zedenleer / cours de morale because I went to a catholic school, but in practice in secondary school there is basically not a single reference to "religion". Religion class had even one grade entirely centering around themes like love and sex (what does it mean? what is sex? how to practice it? How to feel love? things like that). Another grade centered around personality with a high focus on the enneagram. Bullying and image was also a frequent theme.

I loved religion class the most, followed by history class.
tourdesb

Post by tourdesb »

I remember watching a lot of tv shows in English class, but not a lot of movies.

I can recall these ones :
- Spartacus in Latin class
- Germinal in History class
- Pulp Fiction in English class
- Army of Darkness in Sports class on a day the weather was awful
Image Image Image
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

tourdesb wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 10:35 am - Pulp Fiction in English class
Haha, what the hell?
I guess it wasn't 5th grade, but even then - in many countries you had to be 17 or 18 to watch this.

Lakigigar wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 2:14 am Das Experiment (religion class)
Die Welle (religion class)
They really make for some great school watch and following discussions, that's for sure.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

Why did you watch a Canadian film in Dutch class?
tourdesb

Post by tourdesb »

Torgo wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 4:31 pm
tourdesb wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 10:35 am - Pulp Fiction in English class
Haha, what the hell?
I guess it wasn't 5th grade, but even then - in many countries you had to be 17 or 18 to watch this.
In France you only had to be 12.
It was in high school, so we were above this age.
Image Image Image
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Great topic

I'll try to delve in my memories and see what I can remember

Elementary school (age 6-12)

1492: Conquest of Paradise / https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103594/?ref_=tt_pg
Spoiler
excerpts from the parental guide on IMDB (seen this in class when I was 10)
We see a woman get strangled while tied to a stake. She involuntarily sticks her tongue out and drools, making a disturbing facial expression. A few other people get strangled and then burned; we hear them choking and sobbing.
A man's hand is cut off. Quickly edited, but graphic.
Corpses are shown hanging from a distance. Some of them have missing legs.
A man is impaled through the chest with an arrow. Blood smears the camera lens.
A man is impaled by two arrows, one through the stomach and another through the neck. Blood comes out of both wounds and his mouth. He is then shot in the head with bullets (blood flies out in slow motion), and he dies.
A man is slashed with a sword, and we briefly see his guts
A man is stabbed in the chest with a spear. We see a graphic close-up of the spear coming out of his back.
A man commits suicide by jumping off a cliff. Afterwards, we see his corpse, with a bone sticking out of his leg.
Daens / https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104046/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

High School (age 13-18)

Dangerous Minds / https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112792/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The Prince of Egypt / https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120794/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Pay It Forward / https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0223897/

Sophie Scholl / https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426578/

Lola Rennt / https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130827/

The Name of The Rose / https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091605/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Last edited by Coryn on February 4th, 2021, 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
tobias

Post by tobias »

Quite a few for history class:
-All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) - I remember being confused that it was B/W but was really moved by it in the end
-Schindler's List
-Das Leben der Anderen (Lives of Others)
-Sophie Scholl – Die letzten Tage (2005)
-Baader Meinhof Complex (2008)
-Europa Europa (1990) - remember liking this one a lot
-The Name of the Rose (1986) - I think this was less topical but I remember enjoying it quite a bit
-Luther

Adaptations:
-Effie Briest (2009)
-Der Hauptman von Köpenick (1960) (the Helmut Käutner one actually)
-The Threepenny Opera (1931) - this was pretty dope though I think only me and the teachers liked it...
-Goethe! (2010)
-Kunsten at græde i kor (2005)
-Holes (2003)

Others (perhaps related to a theme or not):
-Citizen Kane (1941) - english class, American Dream I think, pretty sure I suggested it, though I think I also suggested Blue Velvet
-Boyhood (2014) - Danish Class, close to holiday I think.
-Blade Runner (1982) - Danish Class
-Breakfast Club - English class
-Australia - English Class
-The Power of One - English Class, South Africa
-Goodbye Bafana - English Class, South Africa
-In The Name of the Father - English Class, The Troubles
-Interstellar - Danish Class
-Inglorious Basterds - Danish Class
-Kundskabens Træ (1981) - Danish Class - I later met Malmros and told him that back in 8th grade I didn*t like it at all but I could see me liking it now, I don't think he really appreciated that, lol
-Det forsømte forår - Danish Class
-The Reader - German Class
-Sult (1966) - I don't think we actually got around to watching it but I watched it at home instead and loved it.

Citizen Kane and Blade Runner I remember were not very popular.

Also my philosophy teacher threathened us with watching a film about the plight of a Yugoslav Shoemaker. I'm still bummed that it was just a joke. It sounded like it would be the Yugoslav take on Andrei Rublev.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

This was my first war movie, i watched it as a 6 year old prolly and many times too.

we've made a lot of progress since then
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

I've never heard of something like watching movies in your class.

But once we've been shown an educational film about drugs around 1994 I think (even though it looked it was made in 1984), and that was it. Funny thing, I remember there was a short footage from Iggy Pop concert (him licking his armpit :lol: ). I didn't know who that waas nor understood what it has to do with the drugs, but years later I realized there was probably some ignorant old fuck who found all that r'n'r too suspeesh.
TiRex

Post by TiRex »

I've watched some movies during classes. Most of them were during a specific cinema program that I attended during philosophy classes (Psycho, Battleship Potemkin, The Crying Game, À bout the souffle, among others). Ultimately, this created a cinephile, so thank you very much for the Portuguese Public Education System :lol:. It even gave me the chance to watch Psycho on the big screen which was incredible. Despite having watched since then over 20 movies from Hitchcock, never again I was hooked and surprised as during that Psycho showing.

Outside this program I watched:

The Day After Tomorrow - geography teacher thought that this was a good showcase for global warming. We actually had a dedicated session on the town multiplex, which was quite nice.
Schindler's List - during history class while we were covering WWII, we were all in shock, it was quite emotional.
Dangerous Minds - probably because it portrayed a teacher lol. It didn't get me that much but I still love gangsta's paradise :D
Cyrano de Bergerac - not even by showing this did French classes got more interesting :yucky: (sorry for the french out there)
Bowling for Columbine - during citizenship class, had a great impact on us back then
Gladiator - during history class while we were studying ancient Rome
Jurassic Park - because the science teacher thought that dinosaurs were more interesting when depicted by Spielberg! Se was super right of course
Dead Poets Society - I think that every school teacher dreams of showing this to kids
Philadelphia - We were discussing homosexuality in a citizenship class. I should be about 12 at the time and these topics were not discussed at home so it was an important experience.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Forgot one...

We saw American Pie in religion class. LOL.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

My American public school teachers were big fans of showing films in class, usually to cap off finishing a book or wrapping up an area of history. Sometimes though, it was just because the teacher didn't feel like teaching that day. Here are the ones that I can specifically remember watching, broken down by the class I watched them in.

Literature:
The Great Gatsby (1974)
Of Mice and Men (1992)
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Death of a Salesman (1985)
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

History:
Glory (1989)
The Majestic (2001)
Seabiscuit (2003)
Cinderella Man (2005)
What Dreams May Come (1998)
Saving Private Ryan--did NOT watch, famously the teacher wanted to show it but needed everyone's parents to sign a permission slip (since it's rated R!!!), and one kid's parents held out and wouldn't sign, so we didn't watch it

Spanish:
Volver (2006)
The Orphanage (2007)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
Finding Nemo (with Spanish dubbing)
Finding Nemo (with English dubbing but Spanish subtitles!

And these are just the movies that I have specific memories of. Who knows how many more I watched earlier than high school for example...ah, the US education system at work.
Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis »

We only watched made-for-TV documentaries that don't even have an IMDb page. Most teachers found watching movies to be a waste of time since they had problems keeping up with their curriculum anyway. Also, most lessons were too short to watch a whole movie. We would however sometimes watch small fragments of a movie to compare it to the book.