Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Film Purism: How Extreme Are You? [TALKING IMAGES]

3eyes
Donator

Re: Film Purism: How Extreme Are You? [TALKING IMAGES]

Post by 3eyes » August 29th, 2020, 5:25 pm

burneyfan wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 4:28 pm
3eyes wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 3:38 pm
In those days nobody was purist about beginning at the beginning, though. If you arrived halfway through you stayed until it came round again (after other stuff including maybe another feature) and left when it got to where you came in, or not. You could stay and watch the whole thing twice if you wanted. And, of course, with popcorn.
This is how I watched a LOT of theater movies in my childhood (I have very distinct memories of many films this way -- the most famous is probably Raiders of the Lost Ark). If my father (born in the mid-'30s) was in charge of going to the movies, we'd get there about 45 minutes into the actual film, watch to the end, sit in the mostly-empty theater while the ushers cleaned up the aisles, and then watch the film's beginning up to the point when we'd initially arrived. It drove my mother (who is quite a bit younger than my dad) crazy, but my father was always astonished she was bothered. "What? You're seeing the whole movie, aren't you!?" :rolleyes:
The Brattle Theatre in Cambridge MA was the first place I ever went (in the 50s) that didn't have a continuous program and actually closed between showings.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » September 10th, 2020, 4:02 pm

I finally finished listening to this yesterday.

First one little criticism on the form of the podcast: it wasn't necessary to do a round-table questioning of every participants every question, after a while the stance of all participants on the spectrum was clear. But mostly it kept the discussions from becoming a natural flowing conversation at times. Despite that I did really like the episode again. Keep up the good work!

On topic, cause nobody countered sol on it: But even if it is true that some modern director nowadays take into account that their straight-to-streaming service films are consumed differently now, this only cause for a very small handful of directors/movies of all movies ever, and especially on this forum where most people watch older movies that very small percentage in film history is negligible.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 11th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Keep up the good work!

On topic, cause nobody countered sol on it: But even if it is true that some modern director nowadays take into account that their straight-to-streaming service films are consumed differently now, this only cause for a very small handful of directors/movies of all movies ever, and especially on this forum where most people watch older movies that very small percentage in film history is negligible.
Thanks for listening - though I probably should defend my stance a bit more.

Streaming services, to me, just represent how far we have evolved in the way we consume films. I would say that ever since the late 1970s with the advent of home videos, most filmmakers would have been aware when making their films that a certain amount of their audience would be likely to watch them in less than totally pure conditions. A lot of though just harks back to that question of respect. Am I disrespecting those involved with a film if I pause it or eat while watching it in the comfort of my own living room where no one can see me? It's a bit different to a live performance. I've already paid for the DVD, YouTube rental etc and surely posting a positive or insightful review of their film on Letterboxd is a better way of respecting their efforts than trying to mirror cinemas conditions...
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image