Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

The Bizarre Origins of the ICMForum [TALKING IMAGES]

St. Gloede

The Bizarre Origins of the ICMForum [TALKING IMAGES]

Post by St. Gloede » August 17th, 2020, 6:48 am

Hi all,

Ever wondered how this forum came to be?

In this episode Adam and Lauren are back to talk about how they met, and the bizarre and slightly disturbing way the forum came to be.

Ready?

(Mind, this is a censored retelling)

You can listen here:

Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus
Sounder - https://talking-images.sounder.fm/episo ... f-icmforum

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 17th, 2020, 8:08 am

Nice to hear some of the backstory.

Not an episode where there's much to add (though if Kasper = Kasparius, I think I had a couple of not-so-nice run-ins with him in the very beginning on this forum).
The only thing I'd say is that that there was a slight editing hiccup after the short bit on one of the forum members passing. It switches tones pretty abruptly there, with sol happily continuing talking about threads and challenges, which makes him come off pretty insensitive :D
Last edited by Onderhond on August 17th, 2020, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 17th, 2020, 9:56 am

:(

I really hope it doesn't come off like that to anyone else.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 17th, 2020, 10:02 am

Well, I don't think anyone will take it that way, but it feels like some kind of bridge was needed there to get the conversation back on the original track.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 17th, 2020, 10:32 am

There's a pregnant pause before I talk again. That's because Chris asked something to the effect of "has anybody got anything else to add", which got edited out I think.

I know I'm a bit of an insensitive sh*t but I cried when I read that rokp thread and I never even knew him. I also discussed rok a bit during the podcast, but might have been in text rather than out loud.

Hope the episode doesn't flow all that badly. It was fun to listen to, even if I contributed the least to it out of all podcasts that I have done so far...
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 17th, 2020, 11:45 am

Onderhond wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 8:08 am
though if Kasper = Kasparius, I think I had a couple of not-so-nice run-ins with him in the very beginning on this forum)
He was nice when I met him in real life, but he was somewhat of a bully here. I lost count with how many new people left the forum because he would insult them.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 17th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Kaspar had a pretty dry/sarcastic/blunt sense of humour that I think many people didn’t get. He could get quite ‘vocal’ about certain opinions as well though. He was always fun to talk to during the Facebook/MSN days and was nice when I met him in New York. Also he was #1 on iCheckMovies when I signed up so he was always a bit of celebrity for me lol.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 17th, 2020, 12:22 pm

I met Kaspar in real life in New York a few years ago and he was an incredibly nice guy and always has been to me in messages (we used to message a lot but not for years). I think his tone on here in response to opinions he disagrees with is jokey but comes across as aggressive to some people but, honestly, he was a lovely guy when I met him and not like some people might have expected (like I said, I'd spoken to him so much online by that point that I had a positive opinion of him anyway).

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 17th, 2020, 12:46 pm

If I listened to this podcast episode while only giving it 85% of my attention, is it a valid check? (I was browsing the forum while I listened)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 17th, 2020, 12:59 pm

mjf314 wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 12:46 pm
If I listened to this podcast episode while only giving it 85% of my attention, is it a valid check? (I was browsing the forum while I listened)
This will require a lot of consideration.

It will be brought up and assessed by all the officers in our next disciplinary inquest.

We are very happy you reported yourself, and has not checked it. This will be used as evidence in your favour.

You will hear from us.
SpoilerShow
:lol:

85% accurate.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » August 17th, 2020, 2:14 pm

We really should start iCheckPodcasts.

This was a fun listen, as someone with basically zero knowledge of all this, despite having been around for a bit now (but mostly lurking).

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » August 17th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Kaspar was one of the funniest posters and I miss him and monty and others going at each other. But I think forum culture has changed a lot in the past twenty or so years. I remember most forums had a very sharp edge to them back around the mid 2000s for better and for worse and the early 2010s marked the tail end of a lot of that culture. I think a lot of what was considered funny back then is rightfully considered inappropiate now, but of course something was lost in the "cleanup" of internet boards too. Forum posting was kind of a separate form of comedy perhaps, there was a subculture that one sorta had to "get" to be considered a good poster, at least on the big boards.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » August 17th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Kasparius has a prickly online persona, but in real life, he's very sweet and kind. He and his wife welcomed a baby girl this past spring, right at the height of NYC's pandemic woes (they're all doing fine, though I can't imagine caring for an newborn infant all through lockdown, just the two of them). He is delighted that Baby already appears to have a healthy respect for westerns. :cowbow:

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 17th, 2020, 3:57 pm

burneyfan wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 3:22 pm
Kasparius has a prickly online persona, but in real life, he's very sweet and kind. He and his wife welcomed a baby girl this past spring, right at the height of NYC's pandemic woes (they're all doing fine, though I can't imagine caring for an newborn infant all through lockdown, just the two of them). He is delighted that Baby already appears to have a healthy respect for westerns. :cowbow:
Does watching a film as a baby constitute a check? :whistling:

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » August 17th, 2020, 4:12 pm

AdamH wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 3:57 pm
burneyfan wrote:
Does watching a film as a baby constitute a check? :whistling:
Yes, as long as you don't take a nap in the middle of the film.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 17th, 2020, 4:31 pm

burneyfan wrote:
Mazel Tov, Kas!

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 17th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 8:08 am
which makes him come off pretty insensitive :D
I didn't get that impression at all.

On the other hand, I think sol still hasn't processed his world cup experience. Just so you know, sol, I liked that movie.

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » August 18th, 2020, 10:03 am

Those good old times on the FB group.
I just checked and was surprised our "Movies" group still exists :D

Hilarious podcast BTW !
Image Image Image

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 21st, 2020, 9:48 pm

tourdesb wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 10:03 am
Those good old times on the FB group.
I just checked and was surprised our "Movies" group still exists :D

Hilarious podcast BTW !
Glad you liked it! Yeah, I went on "movies" a year or so ago and made a couple of posts but I think that's the only activity in years.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 21st, 2020, 11:47 pm

burneyfan wrote:
Oh wow, this makes me happy to learn! Kas is going to be a great dad..! :banana:

:cheers: Kas!
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 22nd, 2020, 1:55 am

I don't remember how this forum came to be or how I came to find it (wasn't part of the initial FB group).

Also, I look forward to kas's likely eventual return. Enjoyed his posting style and thought he contributed a lot here.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 22nd, 2020, 6:55 am

I'm just about to listen to this, but noticed the transcription on the sounder page. Definitely looks auto-generated. Does someone clean the transcriptions up? Because right now it's not legible and could potentially discourage people from listening since it looks like nonsense.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 22nd, 2020, 9:20 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 6:55 am
I'm just about to listen to this, but noticed the transcription on the sounder page. Definitely looks auto-generated. Does someone clean the transcriptions up? Because right now it's not legible and could potentially discourage people from listening since it looks like nonsense.
Disabled the transcription functionality.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 22nd, 2020, 9:55 am

sebby wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 1:55 am
I don't remember how this forum came to be or how I came to find it (wasn't part of the initial FB group).

Also, I look forward to kas's likely eventual return. Enjoyed his posting style and thought he contributed a lot here.
You probably joined thanks to a message from me :P

Yeah, would be happy to see Kaspar return but he hasn't posted regularly for a long time and I'd imagine having a baby makes him even less likely to be a regular again. At least he comes back each year to post his 500<400 list.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 22nd, 2020, 6:38 pm

Does he come back to post his list because you message him, or does he think about it himself? I actually prefer 500<400 to be made by people who are actually active on the forum.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 22nd, 2020, 7:18 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 6:38 pm
Does he come back to post his list because you message him, or does he think about it himself? I actually prefer 500<400 to be made by people who are actually active on the forum.
I haven't messaged people for years about lists so either he remembers the list each year or someone else messages him. Either way, I don't really mind. Don't think we should restrict our list to active people.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 22nd, 2020, 7:29 pm

AdamH wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 7:18 pm
joachimt wrote:
I haven't messaged people for years about lists so either he remembers the list each year or someone else messages him. Either way, I don't really mind. Don't think we should restrict our list to active people.
No restriction needed. I agree. If he remembers himself, fine, although I don't understand why anyone would care to participate on something he's not part of.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 22nd, 2020, 7:50 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 7:29 pm
AdamH wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 7:18 pm
joachimt wrote:
No restriction needed. I agree. If he remembers himself, fine, although I don't understand why anyone would care to participate on something he's not part of.
It's possible some people just like the list and come back to post it or rarely post anything else. There are some people with very few posts who post a list each year.