Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

ARD is doing a Wenders Retrospective, Quick: Rank & Reccomend his films

tobias

ARD is doing a Wenders Retrospective, Quick: Rank & Reccomend his films

Post by tobias » August 12th, 2020, 3:09 pm

I just saw this now but ARD is doing a retrospective of Wenders featuring just about all his major theatrical films for free in good quality and easy acess. I don't know how their geoblocking works but I've usually been able to get around ARTEs system in Denmark though. Might be harsher because ARD is not a corporation with another country.

Anyway I would love to know if any of you could outline some of the hidden gems I shouldn't miss. I don't really want to download everything.

Here's some kind of estimation on how I would rank what I've seen:

1. Der Himmel Über Berlin (Wings of Desire)
2. Alice in den Städten (Alice in the cities)
3. Paris, Texas
4. Der Amerikanische Freund (The American Friend)
5. Bis ans Ende der Welt (Until the End of the World)
6. In weiter Ferne, so nah! (Faraway so Close)
7. Im Lauf der Zeit (Kings of the Road)
8. Der Stand der Dinge (The State of Things)
9. Tokyo Ga
10. Beyond the Clouds

So far I have pretty solid interest in the following:
Wrong Move
Lisbon Story
Nick's Film Lightning Over Water
Buena Vista Social Club
Pina
Salt of the Earth (not part of the retrospective, but got it recorded from another time)
Chambre 66

Is there anything you would highlight specifically? I'm very curious about his early films before Alice, though a bit cautious.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 12th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Here's my ranking based on my IMDb ratings; with Wenders more than most directors, these are fairly useless; I saw nearly all of these (except the ones that were made later of course) between 1987-91, and not since. Films that I have seen or re-seen within the last 10 years and/or feel confident in my ratings I've bolded. I'm considering re-watching some of these and catching up to a couple of others that I've never seen (Summer in the City stands out) this month but dunno if that will happen. Oh and the version of Bis ans Ende der Welt was the shorter American-release version - not liking that at all, and hearing nothing good at all from friends at the time about his next film In weiter Ferne, so nah! I'm afraid contributed heavily to me losing track of his more recent work and just not bothering with him for the most part. And I'm still more interested in re-watching the films from the 70s-80s than I am in catching up to the more recent work, but perhaps I'll end up doing both one of these centuries.

1. Der Himmel über Berlin /Wings of Desire
2. Paris, Texas

3. Im Lauf der Zeit / Kings of the Road

4. Der amerikanische Freund / The American Friend
5. Buena Vista Social Club
6. Tokyo-Ga
7. Falsche Bewegung / Wrong Move
8. Der Stand der Dinge / The State of Things

9. Die Angst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter / The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick

10. Alice in den Städten / Alice in the Cities
11. Hammett
12. Lightning Over Water

13. Al di là delle nuvole / Beyond the Clouds

14. Bis ans Ende der Welt / Until the End of the World

I guess the standout (that I remember well enough and you haven't seen) is #5. Judging from dim memories and some reviews and just gut feeling I suspect I'll like 9. more on a re-watch, so maybe that also. I dunno, it's hard, as I say so many of these are very dim memories for me.

beavis

Post by beavis » August 12th, 2020, 6:51 pm

This is my ranking for Wenders (given both my 5-star and "out of ten" rankings)

1 - Der amerikanische Freund 1977 - 5 - 9
2 - Paris, Texas 1984 - 4,5 - 9
3 - Falsche Bewegung 1975 - 4,5 - 8,5
4 - Die Angst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter 1972 - 4,5 - 8,5
5 - Bis ans Ende der Welt 1991 - 4 - 8,5
6 - Der Himmel über Berlin 1987 - 4 - 8,5
7 - The Salt of the Earth 2014 - 4 - 8,5
8 - Im Lauf der Zeit 1976 - 4 - 8
9 - Alice in den Städten 1974 - 3,5 - 7,5
10 - Der Stand der Dinge 1982 - 3,5 - 7
11 - Lisbon Story 1994 - 3,5 - 7
12 - Pina 2011 - 3,5 - 7
13 - In weiter Ferne, so nah! 1993 - 3,5 - 7
14 - Al di là delle nuvole 1995 - 3,5 - 7
15 - Tokyo-Ga 1985 - 3 - 6,5

16 - Lumière et compagnie 1995 - 4 - 8
17 - Ten Minutes Older: The Trumpet 2002 - 3,5 - 7,5

So indeed Wrong Move is the one I would recommend! I am always interested in Handke scripts and a bit bummed that their most recent collaboration, Les Beaux Jours D'Aranjuez (2016), hasn't appeared in an English friendly release anywhere yet (reportedly it is bad, but I still want to see it... sometimes universally panned movies strike a cord with me, and looking at the cinematographer and music here for instance... this can't all be bad!?!? maybe people just really dislike Handke as a person too much these days...)

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 12th, 2020, 7:31 pm

+1 for Buena Vista Social Club. just wall to wall great music in that one. Pina is visually appealing but is essentially a series of dance performances interspersed with people discussing the noted choreographer. It doesn't get into a whole lot of detail on Pina's life though and really is more a showcase for recreations of Pina's most heralded dances. I thought Hammett was pretty solid, and Don't Come Knocking was pretty good as well.

One of his to avoid though would be Submergence...

tobias

Post by tobias » August 12th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Thanks for the responses so far! Buena Vista Social Club and Wrong Move are definitely two that are way up on my radar. His docs seem very calm and approachable in a nice way. Wrong Move I mus confess I'm almost a bit afraid of watching without having read Goethe's Wilhelm Meister's Lehrjahre. Does anyone know wheter that is merrited at all?

beavis

Post by beavis » August 13th, 2020, 5:19 am

I haven't read that either ;)

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 15th, 2020, 1:41 am

I’ve seen the 4 docs plus Lisbon Story and enjoyed all 5, with Buena Vista and Pina really standing out.

Old CubaN musicians, Cuban music, And Cuba All stand out in the first one, but if you like modern dance, Pina Bausch is a legend, and I got to see that one in 3-D, which was the best 3-D experience I have had to date- thrusts the viewer right into the middle of the performances which aren’t all on stage, but roaming exterior spaces.

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » August 24th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Seen Alice in The Cities, Wings of Desire, Paris Texas which are all classic films. Tokyo Ga and Buena Vista Social Club which are decent documentaries.

Of his newer films I've seen Every Thing Will Be Fine which was ok. But I have a soft spot for Hammett, that was a good effort at Neo Noir.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 24th, 2020, 9:48 pm

In the middle of a little Wenders series myself now - will update or add to my original post when I'm finished. Not watching everything but catching up on most of the pre-2000 stuff that I haven't seen, and re-watching several. Been better than I expected so far I have to say.