Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Let's start a Magazine (yes, you heard right)

St. Gloede

Let's start a Magazine (yes, you heard right)

Post by St. Gloede » August 7th, 2020, 2:53 pm

*No, we are not thinking of creating a newspaper. What is even a big magazine movie?

Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback on an idea I have been pushing for a while, and could be an exciting way to not just build the forum, but boost ourselves as well.

For those who don't know "we" (mod/admin team) have been talking about creating a homepage for the forum, present lists more professionally, etc. but why not take that one step further.

My idea is essentially this: We create the iCinema Magazine (i.e. still iCM).

This can be 2 things (at the same time).

1. A website with weekly (possibly daily) updates

and/or (as suggested by Mightysparks)

2. A pdf uploaded to Kindle, Amazon, etc. free of charge.

The idea is that we can take reviews, posts, info of polls, etc. and republish and share the best things we do here (on author approval, and author credit - if wanted) on social media and elsewhere. This could be a major boost in outreach potential - as sharing links to iCinemaMagazine can be done anywhere, and also an opportunity to showcase the best of what we have to offer.

It also has benefits for all of us individually, i.e. anyone would have the ability to be published by a cinema magazine, which means (yes, bragging rights) but also a nice CV boost. Oh and:
  • Every list we make is now a critic list  :woot:  :rolleyes:
(To be clear, that point is a joke - but hey, if we get to the S&S level ... ;) )

Later, many may even want to write articles specifically for the magazine, and we may spark even more discussions and interesting commentary (just as the podcast did) - and in the PDF we can also grab (or you can suggest) reviews from everything from challenge threads, to the weekly threads, etc. to fill out the magazine with mini reviews.

To be clear nothing is in the works

This thread is created at the very beginning of the process, as we want to see interest before we take this (at first very small, but still potentially time consuming) move.

You also do not need to worry about experience. I am already an editor, granted within a specific industry, and more sales-focused, but I also have a background as a journalist, etc. Mightysparks is also in the midst of studying professional writing and publishing, while Adam is not just an Admin here, but an administrator in real life (and a damn good one). As with the podcast anyone can participate in any capacity and the more the merrier. I am also sure we have many other people experienced with CMS systems, marketing, outreach, design, programming, social, etc. here. Anyone can contribute however they want - and if you do the work we can also list you on the magazine with due credit.

What Would Need to Be Done to Get It Going?

1. If we are just doing a PDF magazine we would literally only need the content and people willing to design it (usually quick and easy with templates).
2. If we do an online magazine we will need a website. This would technically start on the domain we have and as such we only need the ability to display snippets on the homepage (as well as pages)
3. If we want to go all out we could also buy a domain with iCinemaMagazine or just iCinema in it.

That's it.

Anyhow, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

(And just to repeat - no one's work or name would ever be included without authorisation, pseudonyms are also allowed).

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 7th, 2020, 3:07 pm

I'm a sucker for this sort of thing, have edited at least 4 periodicals (newsletters & such) that I can remember (2 in my teens), plus a website to which I added monthly. I say go for it!
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 7th, 2020, 5:29 pm

I would definitely be up for providing the following content when needed/appropriate:
1/ I'm sitting on extensive 830 reviews (with at least one added on a weekly basis) that can be used freely. And about 9000 short 1000-character (that's 3 short paragraphs) reviews (most of them in Dutch, but I'm in the "process" of translating them anyway). There's no exclusivity on these though, so they'll remain on my own website, then again you might want to have fresh content only? Your choice :)
2/ Also willing to contribute or write stuff specifically for the magazine if it's about topics I can contribute to. I don't need to reprint that content on my own site, so that could remain exclusive to the magazine.

As for the format, not sure what would be the best way to go. A PDF sounds archaic and pretty hard to link to, on the other hand I'm not sure how to translate magazine-style releases to a website. I guess you could simply do the site and then do monthly content gatherings and edit/distribute them in a more magazine-like way? That way you can serve two audiences at once.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 7th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Happy to help if I can although I lack the technical skills. I am at least good at admin stuff...

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 7th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Thank you for the encouragement 3eyes, and thank you so much, Onderhond! We could definitely re-use the work you are the happiest with, especially for the kindle version (if we do that) and so great to have you onboard.

Re: Online - That would work more like a regular website, i.e. with weekly updates rather than rolling all out at once. So any time someone has a great idea for an in-depth, or fun (or both) topic, they could also choose to write it up, add there, and then we can start a thread about it here - just like for the podcast and share it everywhere. Othertimes (most of the time in the beginning most likely) we can take cool topics from the forum, add it to the website and share on social.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 7th, 2020, 9:06 pm

I'd be up for helping in whatever capacity. I've done a decent amount of non-professional editing and writing in the past and have a background in programming. I'd be interested in writing one-off articles or reviews.

A question. Is there any sort of film focus for the magazine or just wide open? Meaning, focused on prestige foreign cinema, genre films, mainstream films, etc.? Or just whatever people feel like writing about?

Also I know you guys do a podcast. Is there an intent to tie them in with each other in some way? Like have a featured article on the subject of a recent podcast? Something like that?

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » August 7th, 2020, 9:47 pm

I would love to be involved! I'm not too hot on the technical side of things but spend a lot of time writing about films. Like Onderhond I have plenty of reviews on my blog i would be happy for you to use as content. I would also be up for contributing features and new reviews depending on the direction the magazine takes.

There's a lot of talented writers and knowledgeable cinephiles using the forum so this has the potential to be an exciting venture. Everyone has to start somewhere and this could also be a brilliant opportunity for those who want to try their hand at writing about films for the first time.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 7th, 2020, 9:53 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 9:06 pm
I'd be up for helping in whatever capacity. I've done a decent amount of non-professional editing and writing in the past and have a background in programming. I'd be interested in writing one-off articles or reviews.
Brilliant, Flavo! Great to have you onboard.
A question. Is there any sort of film focus for the magazine or just wide open? Meaning, focused on prestige foreign cinema, genre films, mainstream films, etc.? Or just whatever people feel like writing about?

Wide open, the best of what we and cinema have to offer, with as many different voices as possible.
Also I know you guys do a podcast. Is there an intent to tie them in with each other in some way? Like have a featured article on the subject of a recent podcast? Something like that?
Yes, we talked about at the very least adding each podcast there (same for every forum list as well). Going the extra mile with a featured article on the topic, or perhaps an accompanying article would be great.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 7th, 2020, 9:54 pm

filmbantha wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 9:47 pm
I would love to be involved! I'm not too hot on the technical side of things but spend a lot of time writing about films. Like Onderhond I have plenty of reviews on my blog i would be happy for you to use as content. I would also be up for contributing features and new reviews depending on the direction the magazine takes.

There's a lot of talented writers and knowledgeable cinephiles using the forum so this has the potential to be an exciting venture. Everyone has to start somewhere and this could also be a brilliant opportunity for those who want to try their hand at writing about films for the first time.
Fantastic, Tom!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 7th, 2020, 10:08 pm

Interesting idea.

I will be willing to contribute too. For starters with reviews. I could also expand reviews I’ve already written on the forum (you guys think are interesting and good enough to publish) to a more publish friendly format, with more plot description, background info and such. (Stuff I often leave out now cause it doesn’t seem worth the time and effort)

I do want a fair share of the profits in return. :P

When we do get this up. Maybe we can than link our reviews on the critics tab on IMDb. That might generate some traffic.

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » August 7th, 2020, 10:17 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 10:08 pm

When we do get this up. Maybe we can than link our reviews on the critics tab on IMDb. That might generate some traffic.
It does, especially if yours is the only critic review available or the only English review of a foreign film. Championing the obscure can be pretty useful in that respect.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 7th, 2020, 10:31 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
Very little I must say. I don't write many reviews for popular films of course, on the other hand being in a list of 4 does make you stand out more than being in a list of 300 :D But it does generate some traffic.

edit: lol, seems filmbantha's experience is a bit different from mine.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 7th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Fantastic idea, Lonewolf! And great observation, Onderhold. You really hit the niches in a way you just won't on a mainstream film with an endless amount of large publications.

This is getting me even more excited as we can start recruiting straight from IMDb.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 7th, 2020, 10:43 pm

filmbantha wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 10:17 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:

It does, especially if yours is the only critic review available or the only English review of a foreign film. Championing the obscure can be pretty useful in that respect.
:cheers:

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » August 7th, 2020, 10:45 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 10:31 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
Very little I must say. I don't write many reviews for popular films of course, on the other hand being in a list of 4 does make you stand out more than being in a list of 300 :D But it does generate some traffic.

edit: lol, seems filmbantha's experience is a bit different from mine.
It might be the same when we consider numbers haha. I don't get much traffic as it is so i'm usually pretty happy when i get 10-15 hits coming through imdb for a specific review each month. Its just nice knowing people are taking a look at my reviews!

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 7th, 2020, 10:55 pm

filmbantha wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 10:45 pm
It might be the same when we consider numbers haha. I don't get much traffic as it is so i'm usually pretty happy when i get 10-15 hits coming through imdb for a specific review each month. Its just nice knowing people are taking a look at my reviews!
That's quite a lot, I have a total of 46 hits/2.25 minutes per hit from IMDb in the last month. I must say these are valuable visits though. Better than having 300 visits/month that don't bother to read anything and leave again after 15 seconds.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 7th, 2020, 11:16 pm

I kan rite about Transformers and other rilly old movie if you want that stuf.

But seriously, yes. Great idea. Finally something to maybe motivate me to write more - which is the only thing I'm (slightly) capable of helping out with.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 8th, 2020, 1:42 am

How about film lists with narrow parameters, too short & specialized to be viable as a official, or maybe even unofficial, list? Some of the topics on the 5 of a Kind Challenge, for example?

If it were this month's edition I'd compile a list on Hiroshima/Nagasaki.

jal90

Post by jal90 » August 8th, 2020, 2:42 am

I could try with some reviews. I write stuff regularly in a collaborative website already (all in Spanish though) so I could use some of that habit into this magazine. Sadly I don't think I can provide any help in technical aspects, my knowledge there is basically zero.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 8th, 2020, 11:23 am

Just an idea, but it might be fun to go for themed editions, maybe related to current polls we have running? If for example we just finished a Spanish poll, it could be nice to print the result (maybe with capsule reviews for each film), highlight some Spanish top lists, do some full-length reviews of Spanish films we'd like to promote, do a more in-depth feature on a smaller niche within Spanish cinema etc?

That way editions might appear less "random" as well as highlight the breathe of knowledge ICMf has about specific topics.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 8th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Great suggestion. I was thinking something similar, especially for the minis. Ie an edition can be Western focused for the westerns for the western challenge, or have a western section within it.

Every edition does not neccesarily need a main focus, there can be a few different sections, even a standard area, for instance for horror so that the horror buffs can highlight something they have seen or an observation - or "The experimental corner", etc. but I really like the idea of each edition having a very clear theme/idea.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 8th, 2020, 1:07 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 12:50 pm
Great suggestion. I was thinking something similar, especially for the minis. Ie an edition can be Western focused for the westerns for the western challenge, or have a western section within it.

Every edition does not neccesarily need a main focus, there can be a few different sections, even a standard area, for instance for horror so that the horror buffs can highlight something they have seen or an observation - or "The experimental corner", etc. but I really like the idea of each edition having a very clear theme/idea.
Heh, I'm pretty sure I could put together a "Horror Corner" type article on pretty much any theme that happens to come up that month, whether it be Spanish films, westerns, etc. Horror seems to be one of the most universal styles of film.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 8th, 2020, 1:09 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 1:07 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Heh, I'm pretty sure I could put together a "Horror Corner" type article on pretty much any theme that happens to come up that month, whether it be Spanish films, westerns, etc. Horror seems to be one of the most universal styles of film.
Brilliant, Flavo! That would be an extra fun twist.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 8th, 2020, 1:13 pm

jal90 wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 2:42 am
I could try with some reviews. I write stuff regularly in a collaborative website already (all in Spanish though) so I could use some of that habit into this magazine. Sadly I don't think I can provide any help in technical aspects, my knowledge there is basically zero.
That is really great experience to bring on board.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 8th, 2020, 1:15 pm

3eyes wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 1:42 am
How about film lists with narrow parameters, too short & specialized to be viable as a official, or maybe even unofficial, list? Some of the topics on the 5 of a Kind Challenge, for example?

If it were this month's edition I'd compile a list on Hiroshima/Nagasaki.
You mean we do a special on them with a mini challenge on the forum (or perhaps as a bonus game in an existing challenge if we pick a shared focus)? That's a brilliant idea, 3eyes, which also makes it far more interactive.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 8th, 2020, 1:17 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 11:16 pm
I kan rite about Transformers and other rilly old movie if you want that stuf.

But seriously, yes. Great idea. Finally something to maybe motivate me to write more - which is the only thing I'm (slightly) capable of helping out with.
Lovely to hear that, OldAle. Great to have you onboard. :cheers:

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 8th, 2020, 1:59 pm

A good magazine should have quizzes games or competitions, not necessarily with prizes. Also - Try for interviews, not sure if you could get them but you never know.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 8th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Cippenham wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 1:59 pm
A good magazine should have quizzes games or competitions, not necessarily with prizes. Also - Try for interviews, not sure if you could get them but you never know.
All really nice ideas, Cipp. We could definitely do a quiz section, or even a crossword puzzle (granted harder on digital, but plenty of free tools to create all kinds of quizzes which could be used for the website). On the website we could even add those personality games online websites seem to love, i.e. what X are you.

We will actually get an interview on the podcast, more info on that at a later time (and Onderhond has already conducted several interviews for his blog) so we will without a doubt be able to get some - just not the big names

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 8th, 2020, 2:32 pm

For interviews, I suggest gunning for younger directors, first or second feature is ideal. Once you have to go through studios and agents, it becomes a lot harder (unless of course you can pose as valid press). Also there's no harm in asking, so just send requests whenever you want a chat with someone.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 8th, 2020, 2:42 pm

There are other puzzles easier to manage than crosswords, such as cryptograms (movie quotes, or sets of movie titles, directors, actors, genres, etc.)

Is there anything we could do with some of our games (change a letter, combine two titles, etc.)? We could even post stuff from our archive for some of these.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 8th, 2020, 2:45 pm

If anyone does happen to have any connections to film-related people, please do feel free to let us know. We could always speak to them on the podcast and then put something in the magazine too (or even just one of the options, it might be easier to get people to commit to magazine interviews although podcast ones would be the best option).

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 8th, 2020, 3:03 pm

I'll do whatever whatever. Just let me know what you want me to do.

I could always do a section dedicated to "great films that you probably haven't seen". tehe

Or - perhaps more relevant to me - I could present a decent Australian movie each week that more people should have seen.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 8th, 2020, 3:15 pm

sol wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 3:03 pm

I could always do a section dedicated to "great films that you probably haven't seen". tehe

Or - perhaps more relevant to me - I could present a decent Australian movie each week that more people should have seen.
Like Powell’s They’re a Weird Mob? It Funny enough starts with a guy from Italy thinking he was getting a job on a magazine only to find it folded and his Later attempts to find work and a life in the sixties Australia.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 8th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 11:23 am
Just an idea, but it might be fun to go for themed editions, maybe related to current polls we have running? If for example we just finished a Spanish poll, it could be nice to print the result (maybe with capsule reviews for each film), highlight some Spanish top lists, do some full-length reviews of Spanish films we'd like to promote, do a more in-depth feature on a smaller niche within Spanish cinema etc?

That way editions might appear less "random" as well as highlight the breathe of knowledge ICMf has about specific topics.
Great idea!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 8th, 2020, 4:46 pm

sol wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Is that what you say to your lover at night? She must be very happy. :lol:

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 8th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Interesting idea. I don't fancy myself much of a writer, but I'm a great editor if Gloede needs help there.

Coincidentally, I'm being recruited as a project manager for an online magazine. I don't know if I'll apply for the job, but if I end up going that route I may learn some useful things.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » August 8th, 2020, 6:31 pm

I would love to participate in such a project, I guess the only area in which I can bring some expertise compared to people here would be current French cinema.

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » August 8th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Love this idea gloede! Count me in.

Chilton

Post by Chilton » August 8th, 2020, 10:28 pm

If I can find the time, I would love to help out as well, I'm a senior editor for a international news agency so I could contribute in the editing process if needed (my job is more picture-focused than text-focused though). Looks like we won't fall short of editors though :D

I've also been trying to get back into writing after a long hiatus, so maybe this might motivate me to finally commit something to digital paper :think:

jal90

Post by jal90 » August 8th, 2020, 11:46 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 1:13 pm
jal90 wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 2:42 am
That is really great experience to bring on board.

Thanks! I don't know if I'd be very useful, but I guess I could more or less be of use particularly on animated stuff, or for a more first-hand criticism of Spanish movies ¿?