Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

The Decline of Film Forums: What Caused It?

Onderhond

Re: The Decline of Film Forums: What Caused It?

Post by Onderhond » August 7th, 2020, 9:25 pm

That does mean that the defaults are probably a bit too aggressive? Do any of the board admins know if that could be tweaked for new users?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 7th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 9:25 pm
That does mean that the defaults are probably a bit too aggressive? Do any of the board admins know if that could be tweaked for new users?
Peaceful would probably be the best one to ask

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 11th, 2020, 12:35 am

Yes the defaults can be tweaked.
We're talking about this, right?: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options
Is the suggestion to remove the default for
Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
from the from on to off?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 11th, 2020, 8:03 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 12:35 am
Yes the defaults can be tweaked.
We're talking about this, right?: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options
Is the suggestion to remove the default for
Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
from the from on to off?
Well, either that or there's another setting that auto-subscribes you to a thread where you've posted. I guess the notification is still quite interesting if people explicitly subscribed to a topic, but getting notifications for every topic someone posted in, I feel it's a bit much (and the notification function becomes useless).

Edit: there's also this option (default: yes): Notify me upon replies by default. Maybe that's the culprit?

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » August 24th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Beats me! I've been posting on coarse fishing forums that are more active. I miss the old days, having never really used IMDB but getting into forums and film in general from MUBI forums, so to me it seemed when that closed down the crowds just dispersed. It's a shame because I loved reading all the discussion.

eutow

Post by eutow » August 26th, 2020, 3:33 am

Funnily enough, this very thread is what inspired me to make an account here. I came across the forum a few months ago thanks to a list on Letterboxd mentioning it, so, starved for some more relaxed and careful discussion, I thought, why not try it out?

Today, I think that reddit has very successfully absorbed the sort of people that used to post on forums. r/TrueFilm has fine discussions, for example. But, it is, like Facebook and all the other now-popular sites, more dynamic in how it structures itself, there's a continuous flow of new posts and comments that rise and fall, depending on the up/downvotes, and after a day or two the threads don't really receive any more attention or responses. Totally different from the static forum format, and consequently much more addictive for the user, who can always expect something completely new popping up at any moment. (Addictiveness is, I think, the key factor that determines the commercial success of a site/app today.)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 26th, 2020, 8:30 am

eutow wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 3:33 am
Funnily enough, this very thread is what inspired me to make an account here. I came across the forum a few months ago thanks to a list on Letterboxd mentioning it, so, starved for some more relaxed and careful discussion, I thought, why not try it out?

Today, I think that reddit has very successfully absorbed the sort of people that used to post on forums. r/TrueFilm has fine discussions, for example. But, it is, like Facebook and all the other now-popular sites, more dynamic in how it structures itself, there's a continuous flow of new posts and comments that rise and fall, depending on the up/downvotes, and after a day or two the threads don't really receive any more attention or responses. Totally different from the static forum format, and consequently much more addictive for the user, who can always expect something completely new popping up at any moment. (Addictiveness is, I think, the key factor that determines the commercial success of a site/app today.)
Really happy this thread activivated you, and really looking forward to getting to know you better. Your analysis also seems very much on point.