Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Worst film country for you?

flavo5000

Re: Worst film country for you?

Post by flavo5000 » August 28th, 2020, 1:35 pm

I don't keep track of ratings but if I were to guess, India would be pretty high as would Nigeria. Yes, India has good movies, but they also have a LOT of terrible movies, including many of their most popular ones. With Nigeria, pretty much every Nigerian film I've seen plays out like some cheap soap opera filmed in a dude's apartment. Turkey is a mixed bag. It's got junk like their '70s comedies but also good movies like a recent one I watched, Agit, and good-bad, copyright infringe-a-licious ones like 3 Dev Adam. I can't really think of any other countries that spring to mind as having an overabundance of terrible films. I'm sure there are several smaller countries that have made only a handful over the years that probably aren't great, but I don't really count those. It'd be like picking on a kid for making amateurish home movies. That's why I'm so harsh on India and Nigeria. They're two of the largest film industries in the world and produce so much junk (and really you could throw the US in there too... lots of garbage produced here as well).

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 28th, 2020, 1:40 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:35 pm
I don't keep track of ratings but if I were to guess, India would be pretty high as would Nigeria. Yes, India has good movies, but they also have a LOT of terrible movies, including many of their most popular ones. With Nigeria, pretty much every Nigerian film I've seen plays out like some cheap soap opera filmed in a dude's apartment. Turkey is a mixed bag. It's got junk like their '70s comedies but also good movies like a recent one I watched, Agit, and good-bad, copyright infringe-a-licious ones like 3 Dev Adam. I can't really think of any other countries that spring to mind as having an overabundance of terrible films. I'm sure there are several smaller countries that have made only a handful over the years that probably aren't great, but I don't really count those. It'd be like picking on a kid for making amateurish home movies. That's why I'm so harsh on India and Nigeria. They're two of the largest film industries in the world and produce so much junk (and really you could throw the US in there too... lots of garbage produced here as well).
To be fair to Nigeria though (and really, every African country apart from maybe Egypt and South Africa), they just don't have any kind of budgets to be making really "professional" films. And there's a desire I'm sure there for some homegrown product, no matter how bad it is - I think you can make some comparisons with the Philippines and Canada, particularly in the 60s-80s, in that regard. Better low-budget exploitation or cheesy rom-coms or whatever when it's got local names than Hollywood product. At least I'd imagine that's how some of those films are sold, and how some of the market responds.

India and the USA really have no excuses though...