Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Worst film country for you?

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I don't keep track of ratings but if I were to guess, India would be pretty high as would Nigeria. Yes, India has good movies, but they also have a LOT of terrible movies, including many of their most popular ones. With Nigeria, pretty much every Nigerian film I've seen plays out like some cheap soap opera filmed in a dude's apartment. Turkey is a mixed bag. It's got junk like their '70s comedies but also good movies like a recent one I watched, Agit, and good-bad, copyright infringe-a-licious ones like 3 Dev Adam. I can't really think of any other countries that spring to mind as having an overabundance of terrible films. I'm sure there are several smaller countries that have made only a handful over the years that probably aren't great, but I don't really count those. It'd be like picking on a kid for making amateurish home movies. That's why I'm so harsh on India and Nigeria. They're two of the largest film industries in the world and produce so much junk (and really you could throw the US in there too... lots of garbage produced here as well).
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

flavo5000 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:35 pm I don't keep track of ratings but if I were to guess, India would be pretty high as would Nigeria. Yes, India has good movies, but they also have a LOT of terrible movies, including many of their most popular ones. With Nigeria, pretty much every Nigerian film I've seen plays out like some cheap soap opera filmed in a dude's apartment. Turkey is a mixed bag. It's got junk like their '70s comedies but also good movies like a recent one I watched, Agit, and good-bad, copyright infringe-a-licious ones like 3 Dev Adam. I can't really think of any other countries that spring to mind as having an overabundance of terrible films. I'm sure there are several smaller countries that have made only a handful over the years that probably aren't great, but I don't really count those. It'd be like picking on a kid for making amateurish home movies. That's why I'm so harsh on India and Nigeria. They're two of the largest film industries in the world and produce so much junk (and really you could throw the US in there too... lots of garbage produced here as well).
To be fair to Nigeria though (and really, every African country apart from maybe Egypt and South Africa), they just don't have any kind of budgets to be making really "professional" films. And there's a desire I'm sure there for some homegrown product, no matter how bad it is - I think you can make some comparisons with the Philippines and Canada, particularly in the 60s-80s, in that regard. Better low-budget exploitation or cheesy rom-coms or whatever when it's got local names than Hollywood product. At least I'd imagine that's how some of those films are sold, and how some of the market responds.

India and the USA really have no excuses though...
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

i'm going to do an attempt

Denmark - 7.44 (9)
South Korea - 7.18 (17)
Japan - 7.15 (20)
Germany - 7.06 (16)
Sweden - 6.86 (7)
Spain - 6.55 (9)
United Kingdom - 6.51 (72)
France - 6.48 (44)
Iceland - 6.40 (5)
Australia - 6.33 (6)
Canada - 6.15 (13)
United States - 6.09 (575)
Belgium - 5.98 (42)
Italy - 5.33 (9)
Netherlands - 4.44 (7)
Spoiler
Romania - 9.00 (1)
Mexico - 8.00 (4)
Turkey - 8.00 (2)
Argentina - 8.00 (1)
Estonia - 8.00 (1)
Lithuania - 8.00 (1)
South Africa - 8.00 (1)
Switzerland - 8.00 (1)
Iran - 7.50 (4)
Ireland - 7.00 (4)
Norway - 7.00 (4)
Mauritania - 7.00 (1)
Brazil - 6.66 (3)
Hong Kong - 6.00 (4)
Finland - 6.00 (3)
Guatemala - 6.00 (1)
Hungary - 6.00 (1)
Ukraine - 6.00 (1)
Czech Republic - 6.00 (1)
New Zealand - 5.75 (4)
Russia - 5.50 (2)
Colombia - 5.00 (1)
Poland - 5.00 (1)
Austria - 4.50 (2)
Croatia - 4.00 (1)
Lebanon - 4.00 (1)
Hmm. A bit surprised at the results (much higher than expected for Japan & Denmark, lower than expected for Belgium). The problem with the low countries is that i've just seen much more lower rated movies, while i tend to stick with only high rated ones for most other countries (esp. if non-anglophonic). I'm not sure i've even seen a movie from the netherlands with a rating on imdb higher than 5 (probably only Spijt!), although most of their famous films don't interest me. I should see 170Hz and Spoorloos though. And it brings down the rating for Belgium as well, but i've seen great movies from my country.

So i think i have to explain Italy. I must see more because the sample size is quite low. And probably it has some bad luck. Hated The Great Beauty. Saw Cannibal Holocaust. Hated La vita e bella and hated Call Me By Your Name. Argento and Leone's 2 most famous spaghetti westerns save Italy from not getting a 5. And sooner or later i'll rewatch The Great Beauty (which has great cinematography but theme/subject doesn't interest me) and Call Me By Your Name which both will probably get a better rating when I become older and when I have more experience with movies as well. I'll always hate "Life is Beautiful" though. It totally doesn't have anything that appeals to me (genres suck, not my kind of humor, annoying overacting actors, sentimental, doesn't offer something in cinematography or audio and it really isn't my cup of tea). Perhaps some day i'll rewatch it (it currently has 2/10) but not in the first 10 years.

But my favourite movie is Italian, so i guess they at least got that. I need to see more Argento, movies from Bava, explore some Italian 70's directors (and in theory i should sort of like them) and movies from Rohrwacher in addition to recent well received movies like Suburra, Gomorra and Dogman. I also expect a lot from The Consequences of Love but should stay away from Youth lol.

Other countries likely will get a lower average rating when I see more. I doubt Lars Von Trier is a director I'll like, but i'll explore his oeuvre. It probably will hurt Denmark's standing. And to be fair most countries have enough variety on their own that everyone will like some movies it produced and hate others, if ir's movie industry is large enough and not a niche.

Taiwan might be weird in that regard because it's basically only a niche I guess. Same for Thailand. Hong Kong and India all have a movie industry that it makes it a bit distinctive from others. (though China and HK is more than just martial arts, look at Kar-wai Wong). Nigeria might be like thst too, but their films are not accessible. Other countries might not be large enough to offer that variety or diversity betwern classics, arthouse, genrespecific work or more mainstream/sentimental drama's and if large enough blockbusters.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I expect to see a lot more movies from Japan in the future . Taiwan, China, South Korea and Hong Kong will likely go up too. I might also watch more movies from Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore and Vietnam too it actually surprises me that Vietnam doesn't have a well established movie industry.

I'll watch more European cinema too (mostly must see movies, perhaps delve in the French new wave and Italian one and recent well acclaimed movies and genre / cult flicks). I also want to explore more Latin American xinema. India and Africa doesn't catch my interest though. I think Tsotsi, Battle of Algiers and Eshtebak are the only ones on my watchlist. India also has a few interesting ones.

Probably going to watch my first Egyptian, Algerian, Cuban, Chinese, Taiwanese, Thai, Malaysuan, Singaporese, Greek, Bulgarian, Latvian, Israeli, Indian, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Costa Rican, Venozuelan, Chilean, Peruvian, Uruguayanese, Bosnian, Serbian and Portuguese movie rather soon. They all have a movie I want to see soon. In some cases multiple ones (esp. Taiwan & China but Chile probably too)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lakigigar wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 11:04 pm And probably it has some bad luck. Hated The Great Beauty. Saw Cannibal Holocaust. Hated La vita e bella and hated Call Me By Your Name. Argento and Leone's 2 most famous spaghetti westerns save Italy from not getting a 5.
Wait, you only said that you've seen Cannibal Holocaust, not that you hated it. It's not a given, you know?
:D (.. that poor turtle)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Torgo wrote: February 4th, 2021, 1:08 am
Lakigigar wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 11:04 pm And probably it has some bad luck. Hated The Great Beauty. Saw Cannibal Holocaust. Hated La vita e bella and hated Call Me By Your Name. Argento and Leone's 2 most famous spaghetti westerns save Italy from not getting a 5.
Wait, you only said that you've seen Cannibal Holocaust, not that you hated it. It's not a given, you know?
:D (.. that poor turtle)
I think everyone who has a heart will hate it. I gave it 1/10
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I kinda liked it but I also put it #3 on top 20 most disturbing movies I've seen.

Just saw I'm ranked #58 on Portuguese movies list haha nobody's into Portugal
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Which countries that are not recently formed have produced the least movies or the least watchable movies?
I guess this map answers one question
https://www.vouchercloud.com/resources/ ... best-movie

Is there another list of "best" movie of each country? (not just 5 from some of the countries - i know that one)
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Ridicilous list. Fight Club for Germany, lol. Absolute insult to them!
An honorable mention for 2004 as another popular year for filmmaking - 10 different films appear on the list from that year:

Song of the Sea (Belgium)
Interstellar (Canada)
Maikol Yordan Traveling Lost (Costa Rica)
Difret (Ethiopia)
Kya Dilli Kya Lahore (Fiji)
The Good Lie (Kenya)
Kyrgyzstan (Queen of the Mountains)
Luxembourg (Song of the Sea)
Mauritania (Timbuktu)
Russia (The Fool (II))
The most popular year for top rated films was 2018, suggesting it’s newer films that rake in more popular votes - 111 of the list are 2018 films.

FFS FIRE THE GUY WHO WROTE THIS PIECE OF CRAP.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Armoreska wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:39 am Which countries that are not recently formed have produced the least movies or the least watchable movies?

Is there another list of "best" movie of each country? (not just 5 from some of the countries - i know that one)
My guess would be Haiti, Liberia, Central American countries, and European micronations: all became independent in the 1800s (or earlier), but haven't been known for their cinematic achievements, though Guatemala and Costa Rica seem to have been rising in the past decade.

I made a list of the best film from each country on LB (based on LB ratings), but it's not public yet because there's a lot of data to sift through. I have a Top 5 for each country in my spreadsheet that I plan to put on icm like I did with my top 5 for each year (based on imdb ratings), but I needed more time to seek out films from countries with fewer productions. I'll probably put it up after my next big data harvest May 1st.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Central America isn't that bad. Guatemala has a well known director Jairo Bustamente. Costa Rica has a movie on the watchlist. Perhaps it's worse in Panama, El Salvador, Honduras, and certainly in Belize and some Caribbean nations (esp. the little islands)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

In terms of more populated nations, these seem very disappointing:
Indonesia (they have a few well known ones, but they're most populated after USA, China and India)
Pakistan
Nigeria (in terms of big budget + arthouse cinema, because there's a thing like Nollywood)
Bangladesh
Philippines
Ethiopia
DR Congo
Vietnam (extremely disappointing, i hope Vietnamese cinema will BOOM)
Tanzania
Myanmar
Kenya
Sudan
Uganda
Iraq
Saudi Arabia
Uzbekistan
Morocco
Peru? (it could be worse)
Afghanistan
Malaysia
More African Nations
North Korea
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lakigigar wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:30 pm Central America isn't that bad. Guatemala has a well known director Jairo Bustamente. Costa Rica has a movie on the watchlist. Perhaps it's worse in Panama, El Salvador, Honduras, and certainly in Belize and some Caribbean nations (esp. the little islands)
Belize and the smaller Caribbean nations only became independent in the last 50 years or so, so I wasn't including them as I consider them to be "recently formed", as Armo put it.

Bustamente is hardly a household name (yet), but his first film was from 2015, so it fits perfectly into what I said: the country is rising in the past decade (though I wouldn't place the success of a country on the shoulders of a single director). I don't know which watchlist you're referring to for Costa Rica. So I stand by my statement that those countries are not know for their productions, and haven't made a lot of films prior to 2010.
Lakigigar wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:38 pm In terms of more populated nations, these seem very disappointing:
Indonesia (they have a few well known ones, but they're most populated after USA, China and India)
Pakistan
Nigeria (in terms of big budget + arthouse cinema, because there's a thing like Nollywood)
Bangladesh
Philippines
Ethiopia
DR Congo
Vietnam (extremely disappointing, i hope Vietnamese cinema will BOOM)
Tanzania
Myanmar
Kenya
Sudan
Uganda
Iraq
Saudi Arabia
Uzbekistan
Morocco
Peru? (it could be worse)
Afghanistan
Malaysia
More African Nations
North Korea
Population-wise, I disagree with a lot of these, at least in terms of what Armo originally asked: producing the least (number of) movies or the least watchable ones.
I think only DR Congo, Tanzania, Myanmar, Sudan, Uganda, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan (and, obviously, North Korea), have underproduced compared to their populations. Most suffered brutal wars or dictatorships that halted or prevented production, others have very strict regulations and cinema hasn't been part of their national heritage until recently.

Indonesia, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Philippines, Ethiopia, Vietnam, Kenya, Uzbekistan, Morocco, Peru, and Malaysia all produce many films each year, and have cinematic histories going back at least 50 years. Most of their films, however, are targeted for local audiences and few of them rarely get screened outside of their home country, and only recently have some of their "Golden Age" classics from half a century ago started to get proper restorations (and subtitles). Indonesia in particular has a lot of bad campy horror from the 80s, but even if I dislike many of those films I still find them watchable. :D

Perhaps these countries have been disappointing to you thus far, but I think every country has at least a few gems worth watching (well, almost every country).

Also, a lot of these African nations, and some Asian ones, have had high population growth over the last 20-30 years, as well has having young populations (average age below 30), so I think many of them are still "small" nations film-wise because they haven't had the infrastructure and audience to support a large number of films each year. Kenya and Tanzania (and Nigeria, but it was already populous), for example, have doubled their populations since 1990.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

What Ferge said, basically. I have taken an interest in the Philippines in particular in the last few years and would note that

* their cinema history goes back almost as far as most first-world countries, though unfortunately the vast majority of pre-WWII output, and even a fair percentage of pre-1980s output, is now lost forever. This is due both to wars and natural disasters (typhoons mostly) and to a lack of resources to properly take care of old films in an extremely hot and humid environment.

* the country averaged about 135 features per year from 2015-9, at least going by IMDb. That certainly puts it fairly high in world terms these days.

* while a large chunk of what they put out is romances and horror films that are probably no better than what any country does in those genres, and which are as Ferge mentions, aimed entirely at the local market, they also have produced such filmmakers as Lino Brocka, Ishmael Bernal, Mike De Leon, Raya Martin, Brillante Mendoza and Khavn, with increasingly more recognition at international festivals - and on official ICM lists (the true sign of quality, obviously :lol: ). Oh, and Lav Diaz, who has won the top prize at two major Euro fests, Locarno and Venice, and who I think is increasingly regarded as one of the great modern masters - and is certainly creating a cinema unlike anybody else's.

So while I wouldn't put the country in the cinematic top tier with the USA, France, Japan, Germany, etc, it's a country that is getting more and more recognition, and deserves it. I think the last 20 years of Filipino cinema may well be looked on as just as significant as the 90s-00s in Iranian or South Korean film before too long.

Of the rest I'm fairly impressed with what I know about Indonesia, but haven't seen nearly as much and haven't read up on it either, so that one's more a hunch than anything.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I only know Lav Diaz, but i'm not knowledged into local country film histories, so indeed other people will provide a better answer on that.