Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

The Adam Sandler Lounge

How many Adam Sandler movies have you seen?

No votes
1 or 2
No votes
3-5
16%
6-10
16%
11-20
37%
21-30
16%
31-40
No votes
41-50
11%
50 or more
5%

Total votes: 19

Lammetje
Donator

The Adam Sandler Lounge

Post by Lammetje » July 19th, 2020, 8:53 pm

It took us nine years, but it's finally here: a thread dedicated to the one and only Adam Sandler! :party:

What are your favorites? Which ones are the worst? Do you like his cameos in Rob Schneider movies?

Note: the poll question is about feature films with Adam as an actor (voice acting included). Movies he only produced don't count.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 19th, 2020, 9:00 pm

I've seen 23. 50 First Dates and Happy Gilmore are my favorites. There are a few which I've rated 4/10, but no strong dislikes so far. I have yet to see his film debut Going Overboard, which is among IMDb's Bottom 100.

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 19th, 2020, 9:01 pm

I've seen 48 films.

Top 3:
01. 4.5* - Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
02. 3.5* - The Cobbler (2014)
03. 3.5* - Pixels (2015)

Flop 3:
01. 0.5* - The Animal (2001)
02. 0.5* - Going Overboard (1989)
03. 1.0* - Airheads (1994)

Most of his films are amusing. They're very easy to watch, don't really linger, but they're upbeat and pleasant. Nothing too outstanding or memorable though, also quite a few flukes.

The ones I didn't see (according to IMDb)

Dirty Work (1998)
Shakes the Clown (1991)
Mixed Nuts (1994)
Der Weg des Ruhms (2011)
Last edited by Onderhond on July 19th, 2020, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 19th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Great topic! Coincidentally, we've been discussing doing a podcast episode on Adam Sandler. Probably centred around his dramatic roles. I've always liked Adam Sandler for some reason (less for his films and more because he just seems like a decent guy).

When I was about 13/14, I saw Happy Gilmore for the first time and loved it. I remember going on a spree of watching Sandler films after that but I gave up after a few because the quality of the films really wasn't very good (even when I watched in my early teens).

Ones I've really liked: Happy Gilmore, Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish. I haven't seen it for a long time and can't remember it very well but I think The Wedding Singer was one of the better ones too.

50 First Dates was fairly average but enjoyable enough. Click really failed to deliver on an interesting idea and I though it was very, very average. I've seen a whole bunch of other mediocre ones such as Big Daddy, The Waterboy, Mr Deeds etc. (all very forgettable). I also remember seeing Eight Crazy Nights a long, long time ago and thinking it was awful.

I am interested in watching more of his dramatic roles and I definitely will if we do a podcast on him. I'd like to watch Uncut Gems and Reign Over Me (any other dramatic ones?).

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 19th, 2020, 9:19 pm

AdamH wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 9:02 pm
I am interested in watching more of his dramatic roles and I definitely will if we do a podcast on him. I'd like to watch Uncut Gems and Reign Over Me (any other dramatic ones?).
There’s also The Meyerovitz Stories (directed by Noah Baumbach), which I haven’t seen yet but I’d like to. It’s on Netflix. And the Judd Apatow film Funny People (2009) is definitely a dramedy that required a little more from Sandler. I’m also more of a fan of his rare drama-inclined roles, with Punch-Drunk Love being by far my favorite film and performance from him, which perfectly combines his comedic sensibilities with some dramatic chops. And he was indeed very good in Uncut Gems as well.

As for his more common comedy stuff, I loved Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore as a kid especially, and seeing them again as an adult I still do find them quite funny, especially Billy Madison which has a strong absurdist/bizarre comedy streak in it, which is absent from his later, increasingly lazy/lowest common denominator/unfunny comedies. I basically dislike or outright hate all of his other “straight comedy” films outside of Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on July 19th, 2020, 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 19th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Most of his films are amusing. They're very easy to watch, don't really linger, but they're upbeat and pleasant. Nothing too outstanding or memorable though, also quite a few flukes.
Yeah, agreed. :) 48 seen is impressive by the way!
AdamH wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 9:02 pm
Funny People perhaps? I don't remember that one very well though.

Edit: I didn't know about that podcast episode. Quite a coincidence!

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » July 19th, 2020, 11:40 pm

50 First Dates is my all time favorite film. Not because its a great film, but its the first film my wife and I watched together (its also rather good).

Punch Drunk Love is amazing too.

Also the old comedites (happy gilmore, mr deeds, waterboy, wedding singer, billy madison) are the types of things you can put on and watch over and over again

I have seen 71/85 (84%) movies he is part of

TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown » July 19th, 2020, 11:48 pm

Someone needs to a do a fan edit of 50 First Dates where they take out the scenes with the walrus/sea animals.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 20th, 2020, 12:11 am

12 movies.

I just saw The Meyerowitz Stories, and Sandler was fine. A bit one note, certainly. He's still leaning on his adult-with-outbursts-of-childish-rage schtick, something he's been mining for more than two decades. But he's entertaining enough.

Overall, I'm not a big fan. But I don't know if I've ever laughed more in a theater than when I saw The Waterboy in 1998. I was 13. I wonder if it holds up today. I have seen Happy Gilmore in the past decade, and I think it holds up very well.

sebby

Post by sebby » July 20th, 2020, 12:34 am

Not an interesting actor, but likeable enough (unlike many of his buddies like Schnedier who are unwatchable). Farley was actually the most talented of the group by a fair amount and I really wonder how he would have taken to dramatic work. Anywya Sandler's okay in things like Uncut Gems but it's not like there aren't 1000 others who could have done what he did in that film.

So a big ehh from me. I liked him as a kid when my sense of humor aligned more with his work, but as an adult not so much.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 20th, 2020, 12:43 am

blocho wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 12:11 am
But I don't know if I've ever laughed more in a theater than when I saw The Waterboy in 1998. I was 13. I wonder if it holds up today. I have seen Happy Gilmore in the past decade, and I think it holds up very well.
I rewatched The Waterboy not too long ago and it was fun. I've seen Happy Gilmore probably more often than any other feature film.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 20th, 2020, 3:43 am

Only seen 4. He came along when I was already in my late 20s-early 30s, and never having been into his kind of dumbass comedy, even as a kid, I never saw the appeal as an adult certainly. Only a small handful of those I haven't seen look like they'd even be tolerable, and none look like they'd actually be good. Apart from moments like now - bad movie challenge - the idea of watching bad comedies just isn't something that comes to mind very often. Even if they're official checks.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 20th, 2020, 4:23 am

I've seen 15. I've never been a fan, don't really hate him either but I've never liked him or his type of films. A couple are ok (Billy Madison, 50 First Dates, Click) and Uncut Gems, and his performance, was fantastic.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 20th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Using this list as a guide, I've seen 9/47, but the list must be incomplete since Onderhond's seen 48.

7.8/10 - Spanglish, The Wedding Singer, and 50 First Dates
7.0/10 - Happy Gilmore*, Punch-Drunk Love, Just Go With It, Hotel Transylvania
6.8/10 - Big Daddy*
5.4/10 - The Waterboy*

Those top 3 are solid comedies that I would recommend to anyone, and I think they work because they're not simply Adam Sandler vehicles, but more interesting stories.

The three * I saw as a teenager so probably deserve a rewatch, though I'd only really be interested in seeing Happy Gilmore again. I'm not a huge fan of "Adam Sandler comedies" though, so I've generally avoided the rest of them.

Of his unseen films, I'm most interested to see Billy Madison, Mr. Deeds, Funny People, That's My Boy, Men Women & Children, and Uncut Gems, and maybe Murder Mystery and the other Hotel Transylvania films; "most" being a relative term, of course. And Going Overboard, if just to see why it's so bad. Oh, and I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry to see just how offensive it actually gets. Criticker also thinks I'd enjoy Reign Over Me, so maybe I'll give that one a go too.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » July 20th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Looks like I've seen 22 movies with Sandler in them. I do have a soft spot for Happy Gilmore which still has some funny stuff in it, and I really liked Punch Drunk Love and Uncut Gems. Funny People was ok but has some issues. Honestly the Hotel Transylvania movies have been pleasant to watch. 50 First Dates and The Wedding Singer were both pretty decent.

Many of his others I've seen are just bad though. I thought PIxels was just lazy and terrible, ruining a decent premise. Click starts with a decent premise and even starts to explore the repercussions of having such a power then gets incredibly saccharin like several of Sandler's movie tend to.I don't even wanna talk about junk like Zohan, Little Nicky or Jack & Jill.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 20th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 7:01 pm
Using this list as a guide, I've seen 9/47, but the list must be incomplete since Onderhond's seen 48.
Missing from the list:
  • Dirty Work (uncredited cameo)
  • Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo (uncredited voice cameo)
  • The Hot Chick (uncredited cameo)
  • Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (uncredited cameo)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 20th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Lammetje wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 7:23 pm

[*]Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo (uncredited voice cameo)
That's one of the four I've seen :lol: The other three are not that surprising - Punch-Drunk Love, Uncut Gems and 50 First Dates. And I actually liked all three of them but I know from the bits and pieces I've seen of others - and the lengthy RedLetterMedia takedowns of some of them - that they are most definitely not for me.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 20th, 2020, 7:37 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 7:32 pm
Lammetje wrote:
That's one of the four I've seen :lol: The other three are not that surprising - Punch-Drunk Love, Uncut Gems and 50 First Dates. And I actually liked all three of them but I know from the bits and pieces I've seen of others - and the lengthy RedLetterMedia takedowns of some of them - that they are most definitely not for me.
You'd probably like The Wedding Singer as well. Go on then, put it on your watchlist! :circle:

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 20th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Lammetje wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 7:37 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 7:32 pm
Lammetje wrote:
You'd probably like The Wedding Singer as well. Go on then, put it on your watchlist! :circle:
That's one I"ll probably see eventually, yeah. I do like romcoms more than most people (any people?) here. Actually just noticed that he's listed as being in Shakes the Clown which I've also seen, though I barely remember it. And I think I'll probably see Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison at some point just because they're his most famous films from his peak star days, and they don't look as bad as the later stuff. I will also note that I've seen little with Jim Carrey - haven't seen either Ace Ventura for example. Most of the other aggressive-male-stupidity comedy from the past, oh, 30-40 years has passed me by also. Maybe that's what I'm missing in life.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 20th, 2020, 7:47 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 7:41 pm
Most of the other aggressive-male-stupidity comedy from the past, oh, 30-40 years has passed me by also. Maybe that's what I'm missing in life.
It definitely is. I solved most of my life problems by watching Old School and Super Troopers ten times in a row.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » July 20th, 2020, 9:51 pm

I love Anger Management and to some extent Happy Gilmore.

The worst for me was Jack and Jill.

Indeed, I've never been bored despite how stupid his films are. But he's definitely not in the league of Carey or Stiller. First The Cable Guy and then Zoolander might be my favourite films of those kind.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » July 21st, 2020, 12:59 am

Any is too many. I've seen too many.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » July 21st, 2020, 6:58 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 12:59 am
Gotta be the same feeling North Americans have for Kusturica's Black Cat White Cat. I didn't laugh once, hated all the stereotypes and unreal (Roma girl with blue eyes? Never seeen one, and there's loads of them living over here), but foreigners loved it. Now telling an American I love Anger Management make me feel somewhat ashamed of my taste, since he's obviously put off by it. :lol:

Would you arrange voting for the best & worst Sandler film, Lammetje? :rolleyes:

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » July 21st, 2020, 7:38 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
You can also use https://www.imdb.com/seen/nm0001191-actor/ if you rate movies on IMDb.

I've seen 18 of his movies. Not his biggest fan, especially when he does his whispered shouts, but I overall enjoy his movies. My highest rated is Uncut Gems and my lowest is The Week Of.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 21st, 2020, 8:11 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
I based my list on IMDb (Movies + TV movies, job:actor, movies I rated). Like mentioned above, there might be very small cameos that I'm also counting :)

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 21st, 2020, 8:26 am

Yeah, I use imdb too, but it's much easier to get the number of films seen at a glance from icm.

Edit: Ah, you linked to the Seen feature as opposed to just the actor's page. I've never used that before.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 21st, 2020, 9:41 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
(u)
Mario Gaborović wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 6:58 am
Nathan Treadway wrote:
Would you arrange voting for the best & worst Sandler film, Lammetje? :rolleyes:
Hmm, that would mean two additional polls with over fifty options in each, right? I doubt that's possible. But I'm open to suggestions. :)
Onderhond wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:11 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
I based my list on IMDb (Movies + TV movies, job:actor, movies I rated). Like mentioned above, there might be very small cameos that I'm also counting :)
But aren't you counting shorts as well? The OP states that only feature films count. :folded:

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 21st, 2020, 10:28 am

Lammetje wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 9:41 am
But aren't you counting shorts as well? The OP states that only feature films count. :folded:
According to IMDb he has 55 Feature film credits. 2 TV Movies. That's what I based my stats on.

Not sure if this link works for others with an IMDb account, but that's where I checked.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 21st, 2020, 11:31 am

I have seen 15 according to my informal tally.

He was quite good in Uncut Gems but I think I like Punch-Drunk Love better.

Lowest of the ones I have seen is You Don't Mess with the Zohan. In fact after watching that movie, I did not see another one with Adam Sandler for the next 12 years and it took a lot of convincing to get me to watch Uncut Gems.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 21st, 2020, 12:58 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 10:28 am
Lammetje wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 9:41 am
According to IMDb he has 55 Feature film credits. 2 TV Movies. That's what I based my stats on.

Not sure if this link works for others with an IMDb account, but that's where I checked.
Hmm, I see. There are a couple of entries on there which haven't been released yet, but it seems to be a comprehensive list. It even includes the mysterious documentary Der Weg des Ruhms (13 ratings).

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 21st, 2020, 1:08 pm

I would have expected this data to fit a normal distribution, but the 31-40 bucket is just weird.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 21st, 2020, 7:56 pm

weirdboy wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 11:31 am
I have seen 15 according to my informal tally.

He was quite good in Uncut Gems but I think I like Punch-Drunk Love better.

Lowest of the ones I have seen is You Don't Mess with the Zohan. In fact after watching that movie, I did not see another one with Adam Sandler for the next 12 years and it took a lot of convincing to get me to watch Uncut Gems.
Almost the same across the board, for me. I counted 14 total films seen (only counting ones where Sandler has a prominent lead or supporting role, not cameos). Punch-Drunk Love followed by Uncut Gems are his standout performances. And thankfully I stopped with his stupid comedies right before Zohan; it was the godawful I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry from the year before that put me off from ever watching his straight comedies again.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd