Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Miejsce urodzenia (1992)

AdamH
Site Admin

Miejsce urodzenia (1992)

Post by AdamH » July 12th, 2020, 7:33 pm

I don't normally start threads about films but I had to mention this documentary. It's #174 on 500<400 and only has 97 checks. It's also only 47 minutes long.

Wonderful documentary about a man visiting his Polish village for the first time in 50 years. No narration, no over-the-top editing etc. Just following a man around the village as he speaks to different people. That's it. Nothing added. So many documentary-makers could learn from this type of thing. I can imagine this being made on Netflix and ending up as a ten-part documentary with everything being spoon fed to you and drama being added to it.

Please check it out if you get a chance. We desperately need more attention for 500<400 films. I've been making an effort to see some recently as I feel like I've always praised the list without watching anywhere near enough. This one is a real gem. I was almost in tears at the end. All this without anything added to it, just a man talking to people. Nothing else was needed.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 12th, 2020, 7:42 pm

It's a great movie. Very emotional for me, coming as I do from a long line of Polish Jews. Watch it here:

All that being said, I think at least 37 of those 97 checks are forum regulars. People here know this movie. It's the rest of the world that doesn't.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » July 12th, 2020, 10:04 pm

It's a favorite of mine. It was in the previous ICM World Cup, thanks to sebby, I believe.

sebby

Post by sebby » July 13th, 2020, 10:41 am

Yeah I picked it for promotion's sake (and also bc it's really good) and am glad the reception's been warm. Well-constructed in its matter-of-fact nature and restraint, and of course very moving. Does more with its 50 mins than the vast majority of films do in double or triple the time.