Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Picture of Light (1994) FotW #341

Cocoa
Donator

Picture of Light (1994) FotW #341

Post by Cocoa » July 12th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Film of the Week #341: Picture of Light (1994)

Summary:
A documentary of an expedition to Churchill, Manitoba to film the Northern Lights.

#686 on 1000<400, with 73 checks.
Nominated by joachimt and Minkin.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 1000<400 resultsShow
#686(⇧58, #744) Picture of Light (1994)
Directed by: Peter Mettler
(213.92 Pts, 12 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–2
History: 686744103639225136NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 65 Checks , 6 Favourites , 2 Official lists
List of Voters:Show
klaus78 (13)
zuma (31)
Carmel1379 (85)
XxXApathy420XxX (146)
tommy_leazaq (NA)
jeroeno (240)
Perception de Ambiguity (244)
sebby (287)
Fergenaprido (384)
mathiasa (430)
perceval (503)
xianjiro (560)

This movie fits the current Canadian Challenge.

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 12th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Good film. 7.6/10

Haven't managed to see any of Mettler's other films since then, and I don't normally care for experimental films, but this one worked for me. I was drawn into it because of the northern lights, but the whole film kept me interested even when the focus wasn't on them. It's been a couple years so I don't remember much from the film aside from the fact that it's pretty and I liked it.

Recommended (and then post about it in the Canadian challenge! :p )

sol
Donator

Post by sol » July 13th, 2020, 1:36 am

Watched this one just last week for the current Canadian Challenge. Possibly the best of the 51 films that I have seen so far. :wub:

What I wrote about the film on the current weekly thread:

More than just a documentary about an expedition to film the Northern Lights in Manitoba, this is a documentary about the very nature of film itself and how we live "in a time where things don't seem to exist if they are not captured as an image". This conflict drives much of the project with director Peter Mettler even recalling how he had to resist "the impulse to get my camera" at one point since it would ruin his memory of what he was seeing. Something else thought-provoking arises from the difficulties that the crew have in filming the natural phenomenon; maybe some things were never meant to be filmed? What footage we do see is enchanting though with superb accompanying audio. Unfortunately there are too many interviews in between the footage, but it is easy to see why this considered to be one of Canada's finest films.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Traveller

Post by Traveller » July 16th, 2020, 4:14 pm

I’ve seen Mettler’s Gambling, Gods and LSD (2002) earlier this month, and while not as great I enjoyed this one very much too. Beautiful imagery and again at times this state of finding oneself getting lost in it, which I experienced also in the former. Have to check out more of him in the future.
8/10
ICM
August Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » July 16th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Thank you guys so much for introducing me to this movie! I loved it so much I've been watching everything else I can find from Mettler.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » July 17th, 2020, 4:46 am

This is streamable on prime, so I will watch it tonight if I can (been in my queue for awhile, and now I have impetus)

Traveller

Post by Traveller » July 17th, 2020, 5:44 am

prodigalgodson wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 5:18 pm
Thank you guys so much for introducing me to this movie! I loved it so much I've been watching everything else I can find from Mettler.
Anything that stood out among the rest? The End of Time (2012) is currently the one I would like to see next.
ICM
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » July 18th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Traveller wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 5:44 am
prodigalgodson wrote:
Anything that stood out among the rest? The End of Time (2012) is currently the one I would like to see next.
Gambling, Gods, and LSD is the other behemoth that's stood out so far. Loved Petropolis and Balifilm too. Tectonic Plates and The End of Time are next in the queue.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » July 20th, 2020, 5:00 pm

prodigalgodson wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 9:31 pm
Traveller wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 5:44 am
prodigalgodson wrote:
Gambling, Gods, and LSD is the other behemoth that's stood out so far. Loved Petropolis and Balifilm too. Tectonic Plates and The End of Time are next in the queue.
That’s the one I’ve seen so far besides Picture of Light - liked it even more. I saw your post on the weekly thread earlier, will have to check out some of the others you mentioned there. Thanks.
ICM

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 22nd, 2020, 3:20 pm

Watched this last night. When it comes to Mettler doing his "deep thoughts" narration on top of swirling visual imagery, I could watch all day. In other regards, when we're not getting philosophical pearls of wisdom, the movie is uneven. And the sound design was literally painful at times.