Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Il ferroviere, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Dong dong de jiàqi AKA A Summer at Grandpa's (1984) FotW #336

Cocoa
Donator

Dong dong de jiàqi AKA A Summer at Grandpa's (1984) FotW #336

Post by Cocoa » June 7th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Film of the Week #336: Dong dong de jiàqi AKA A Summer at Grandpa's (1984)

Summary:
A coming-of-age story about a young brother and sister whom spend a pivotal summer in the country with their grandparents.

#40 on 500<400, with 256 checks.
Nominated by Cocoa, filmbantha, and Minkin.
On IMDb.
On iCM.

From the 500<400 resultsShow
#40(⇧21, #61) Dong dong de jiàqi (1984)
[A Summer at Grandpa's]

Directed by: Hsiao-Hsien Hou
(740.27 Pts, 18 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–7
History: 40617693169547←NA
ICheckMovies: 249 Checks , 29 Favourites , 4 Official lists
List of Voters:Show
Melvelet (3)
tommy_leazaq (13)
zhangalan (25)
connordenney (29)
Gershwin (35)
zuma (44)
Cinephage (48)
mjf314 (51)
funkybusiness (58)
sebby (60)
klaus78 (67)
Ivan0716 (NA)
BaalMan (149)
Traveller (155)
Mate_cosido (NA)
sushantv10 (194)
XxXApathy420XxX (212)
Mothravka (NA)

This movie fits the current China, Hong Kong & Taiwan Challenge.

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 11th, 2020, 1:28 am

Meh. Didn't like the camera work and the static shots. Hated the animal cruelty (obviously).

Cocoa, you checked the movie one day ago according to iCM, yet you nominated it according to the OP. You got some 'splaining to do, mister!
SpoilerShow
Or maybe I don't know how the system works. :rolleyes:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 11th, 2020, 5:29 am

just slightly better than average

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 11th, 2020, 10:56 am

Lammetje wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 1:28 am
Meh. Didn't like the camera work and the static shots. Hated the animal cruelty (obviously).

Cocoa, you checked the movie one day ago according to iCM, yet you nominated it according to the OP. You got some 'splaining to do, mister!
SpoilerShow
Or maybe I don't know how the system works. :rolleyes:
What you said in the spoiler.......

People don't only nominate films they have seen and liked. They nominate films they want to see as well. I nominate a few favorites that haven't been FotW or WC before. The rest are the titles I'm most eager to see from the noms-list.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » June 11th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Most of the films I nominate are films I haven't seen before. I don't have the motivation to drop everything and work solely on completing the whole 500<400 list, so picking a film I haven't seen before but want to see gives me more reason to watch the film once it gets picked for the schedule. Once one of my nominees gets picked for the schedule, then I typically replace it with a favorite I've already seen because I don't have a 50+ watchlist of 500<400 films I want to see.

Sometimes the films I nominate that I've never seen before end up being films that I love and sometimes they don't. I didn't love Dong dong de jiaqi. I think the film is beautiful in terms of the cinematography. The whole film itself is simply uninteresting. The story isn't that unique and the characters aren't very engaging and are more in the meh territory. There are better films that deal with children visiting their relatives and growing as individuals.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 11th, 2020, 6:28 pm

I only nominate movies I haven't seen.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 11th, 2020, 10:33 pm

That makes sense. :)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*