Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Il ferroviere, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Why Do You Choose To NOT See a Film? [Talking Images]

St. Gloede

Why Do You Choose To NOT See a Film? [Talking Images]

Post by St. Gloede » June 2nd, 2020, 5:11 pm

What is the main reason you would not watch a film?

Are there any films you actively avoid?

Are there any films you are embarrassed to not have seen?

In our latest episode: "Unwatched Gems or Carefully Avoided Trash?" we will dive into these questions and more.

Listen here:
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus
Sounder - https://talkingimages.sounder.fm/show/talking-images

And let us know your answers?

P.S. Please give a warm welcome to Ole Johnny, aka Lilarcor.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 2nd, 2020, 5:17 pm

Maybe I have more to say after hearing the episode, but the simple answer is that I don't avoid any film. There are elements like runtime, production country or production year that will influence my priorities, but I've never come across a film that I simply didn't want to watch.

Not embarrassed to have not seen certain films either. I've already watched plenty and whatever big name films I haven't seen yet will probably pop up later on.
Last edited by Onderhond on June 3rd, 2020, 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

1SO

Post by 1SO » June 2nd, 2020, 5:24 pm

Directed by Jean-Luc Godard

I'm not afraid to see any film but there are films I try to avoid because I don't like the director's general approach. That doesn't mean I automatically hate anything they do - I like Pierrot le Fou - but I'm much less likely to be in the mood for something they had a hand in.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » June 2nd, 2020, 10:02 pm

I avoid lots of movies. Not on any sort of moral grounds, usually, just plots or genres that don't interest me. (Tyler Perry films or PG-13 horror, for instance.) I rarely watch movies that receive awful reviews, unless I was already planning to see it.

There are many, many films I'm embarrassed not to have seen, but I'm working on it.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 2nd, 2020, 11:07 pm

1SO wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 5:24 pm

I'm not afraid to see any film but there are films I try to avoid because I don't like the director's general approach. That doesn't mean I automatically hate anything they do - I like Pierrot le Fou - but I'm much less likely to be in the mood for something they had a hand in.
:huh: :lol:

My all-time favourite director.

1SO

Post by 1SO » June 3rd, 2020, 1:34 am

St. Gloede wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 11:07 pm
1SO wrote:

I'm sure you actively avoid some of my favorite directors since we clearly watch films for different reasons.

While I have your attention, since Godard is your favorite director and he's incredibly prolific, what are the three biggest Godard films you haven't seen yet?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 3rd, 2020, 2:56 am

Very good episode!

The main reason is that I don't think I would like it based on storyline or filmmaker or genre. I've seen a few musicals and even enjoyed a couple, but overall I hate the genre. I simply detest most musicals. I'm much more interested in horror, but I get the heebie-jeebies really easily, so watching horror can often be an unpleasant experience. This is unfortunate because I avoid watching some movies that greatly interest me.

Several of the commenters in the podcast mentioned Woody Allen and Roman Polanski, and I simply won't see anything new they create (although it's doubtful Woody will ever make another movie). My reasons have nothing to do with their moral turpitude (real or presumed). I just think they've been making shit for decades, and I've suffered through enough of their dreadful movies. They're two of the three filmmakers I will avoid no matter what (Wes Anderson is the other).

Are there any films you actively avoid?
I mostly avoid seeing movies that directly address very traumatic episodes in my personal or family history. So I'm generally not going to see movies about the Holocaust or 9/11. I made an exception recently for Jojo Rabbit, and wow that was a mistake. I also won't watch Triumph of the Will. And a couple of years ago, I tried to watch Under the Bridges and had to stop after a few minutes. Something about the idea of this romantic movie being made amid so much horror made me feel sick. I certainly don't blame anyone else for watching it or appreciating it. I just can't do it myself, and I'm aware that similar objections could be made about any number of movies produced at the same time as awful historical events.

I also will not see the final Avengers movie. I didn't mind the superhero movies when they first became popular 15-20 years ago. But as they took over the studio system, I got sick of them. I saw the penultimate Avengers movie, and it ended just perfectly.
SpoilerShow
So many boring, shitty, stupid characters dying pointlessly. It was a perfect ending. I'm not going to fuck that up by watching something where they come back to life.

Of course not. No one should be embarrassed about not having seen a movie. Now, in years past, friends would sometimes tease me for not having seen some popular movie, to which I would reply by suggesting we compare a count of how many movies each of us had seen. That dynamic still comes up occasionally, but only when people learn I haven't seen:
- The Lion King, which was released when I was 9, which means almost everyone I know who is my age has seen it. But I'm probably not going to get around to it. An animated musical for kids doesn't hold much appeal right now.
- The Harry Potter movies. I actually have seen one Harry Potter movie, the final one. And when I tell this to some people that makes them only more horrified, which always gives me a chuckle. I saw it because I went by a friend's place, and he was watching it with his family, and I couldn't just ask him to stop, and it would have been even ruder to leave immediately. I don't think I'll be watching any of the prequels. I think there were 40 or 50 of them?

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 3rd, 2020, 6:22 am

1SO wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 1:34 am
St. Gloede wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 11:07 pm
1SO wrote:

I'm sure you actively avoid some of my favorite directors since we clearly watch films for different reasons.

While I have your attention, since Godard is your favorite director and he's incredibly prolific, what are the three biggest Godard films you haven't seen yet?
I have seen all his standalone features but I'm yet to see his miniseries Six fois deux/Sur et sous la communication (1976) : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074057/

There are also plenty of shorts I haven't seen, and as I generally don't like omnibus films I skipped the majority, including The Seven Deadly Sins, Ro.Go.Pa.G. (which is actually on 5 lists) and The Beautiful Swindlers.

In terms of official lists:

Ro.Go.Pa.G.: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056171/
Puissance de la parole: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095923/
Origins of the 21st Century: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246866/

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 3rd, 2020, 5:53 pm

I just realized an extreme omission in my viewings that I somehow erased from existence and didn't remember to the episode: The entire Up series.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 4th, 2020, 3:30 pm

When I was still doing challenges there were some I had to force myself to participate in (if I did) - horror, noir, martial arts, action. Of course there are films in all those categories that I enjoyed.

I resisted watching certain films based on books I loved - finally watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and A Clockwork Orange but I still prefer the books.

For the record, the only time I walked out of a theater was for Pierrot le Fou. That was in the 60s and quite possibly my introduction to Godard. I revisited it in the the last decade and liked it fine. (Also back then I saw Sympathy for the Devil on Norwegian TV and liked it much better. Monty Python's Godard parody evokes it.)

There are certain actors and directors that I steer clear of - especially Woody Allen.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

cinewest

Post by cinewest » June 7th, 2020, 1:37 pm

The quite a few determiners for whether I would watch a film or not: Familiarity with the filmmaker or type of film is one very important one that works both ways. A filmmaker like Spielberg, for example, is a turnoff, as are numerous kinds of mainstream movies, whereas a film classified as "arthouse" is more likely to interest me, though, who the director is and what I might have read about the film plays an equally vital role in this process.
As I have cultivated an avid interest in cinema for more than 40 years, even as my taste has changed (expanding as well as contracting), I have also developed a fairly acute antenna for what I would probably like (and not like), and this also another key determiner. Film availability, and my mood, as well as who I might be watching a movie with are also very influential.
One thing that used to be more of a determiner is subject matter, but I have learned over time that an interesting filmmaker can make an interesting film about anything, whereas a banal filmmaker can turn even the most fascinating subject into something mediocre

Are there any films you actively avoid? This question/answer is very similar to the one above, and I might only add that I haven't enjoyed the films of Woody Allen or Polanski much in ages (but I liked both quite a bit at one point in their careers), and haven't seen much of their output in the last 25-30 years.

Not sure that embarrassed is the right word, but there are quite a few reputed great filmmakers that I would like to see more from (Robert Bresson, for one, echoing the words of one of the panelists).
While the "film historian" in me believes I should see all the important touchstone films, I must admit that in general I am not that attracted to films made prior to the mid 50's, though of course there were quite a few stand out exceptions before then. I am even more interested where certain subsequent approaches to filmmaking went, even some of those still working with genres.
I guess one could say that I am a fan of Auteur cinema (if only because it is the auteurs who strike me as the most passionate and explorative with the medium) though I by no means like all of it, whether it is a variation on classical forms or wildly experimental. It all comes down to whether I can connect with the filmmaker and what he/she is making of cinema. I have also become more and more attracted to non-English language cinema over the years, if only because there is so much interesting stuff being made in so many different countries since the mid 80's and a decreasing number of interesting features in English during that same time, though this appears to be changing of late, as English is becoming more and more necessary to filmmakers, and more and more "foreign" filmmakers are making their way to America, England, or France to work.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 19th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Like Onderhond there are no reasons I avoid or don't watch any movie, only reasons why I prioritize others above them. If I get stuck in quarantine somewhere where only the High School Musical and the Twilight sagas are available, I would watch those. But since that's kind of an easy way out of this question; what are reason for a movie for me to not prioritize anytime soon unless I have nothing else to watch? Not-being part of the target audience, the director, genre, plot, critical reception or opinions from friends and other people from this forum.
That said, like was mentioned in the podcast, I do try to postpone watching movies until there is a good (4k) restoration of it on blu-ray.

I'm not embarrassed for not having seen any movie, cause there is just too much to see. Of course there are lots of areas I would like to discover more of in the future.