Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Talking Images: [Ep 12 NOW AVAILABLE] The Decline of Film Forums

kingink

Re: Talking Images: The Officially Unofficial Podcast of the ICMForum. (first episode available)

Post by kingink » May 11th, 2020, 4:20 pm

See? I am back! I just finished it and I have one thing to say...
Great job guys! It was very interesting to hear some voices of people I knew only by their nickname :D
I don't know if the theme of the first episode will have any appeal to the great masses, but I liked it very much since I got to hear everyones stories.
I didn't have any issues with sound. I realize that there were differences in sound and volume etc but it's not a professional podcast with nice equipment etc.
And so many different accents! :party: A truly internatioanl podcast!
Looking forward to the next episode.
Cheers guys!

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 12th, 2020, 8:04 am

Thanks for posting, Chris. I started listening last night and I'm continuing to listen this morning and I'm impressed (I'm not part of the podcast this time). Good job! I haven't seen the Herzog Nosferatu or even that many Kinski films but I still found it interesting. I love the big range of accents from three different continents. Mentioned it elsewhere but I think it would be cool to try adding a weekly feature to the podcast like a quiz question or a film clip where the answer is revealed at the end of the podcast and also maybe a film clip of the film you are discussing if that's allowed (I realise you already do a huge amount of editing so I might be being completely unrealistic).

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 12th, 2020, 9:05 am

I was really impressed we managed to cut it down to 40 minutes (you lost a spoiler-filled rant that was quite entertaining, but best left on the cutting room floor).

I would also like to thank Clem, who is behind about 10m of the cut (4+ hours of work!)

We tried something new this episode, thanks to a great suggestion from Adam. We muted our mics except when we were planning to speak. This meant no disruption, less noises and a much simpler edit. I would say it was a big improvement, though I really do miss hearing laughter, and other sudden responses from the others, making it feel a little more like a natural conversation.

I would also really like to thank Gary, Clem, Filmbantha and Sol. The amount of preparation they did. With the exception of Sol (who joined it late, and was a great+) those of us who planned the project all sat down together to watch Nosferatu in Venice, some of us also rewatched Herzog's Nosferatu for a refresh, and watched/read additional Kinski material.

Special thanks to Jvv as well, who was a great support in finding additional information, sharing clips and was involved throughout.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » May 12th, 2020, 2:38 pm

It was fun watching Nosferatu in Venice together, even though it's a terrible film. Good podcast, looking forward to the next one.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 13th, 2020, 2:47 pm

cinewest wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 6:53 am
Watching Days of Heaven for the first time as an 18 year old (with a recently ignited passion for cinema) in a movie theater the year it came out, for example, is completely different than coming across it years later on your laptop after seeing other films by Malick, as well as other films he has influenced. No judgments, here, but simply trying to point out that time, technology, and our different reference points in their regard, all have a big influence.
Witnessing the first time a Malick character strokes/parts corn/grass, etc. in real-time ... I can imagine it being an absolutely incredible experience. (l)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 13th, 2020, 2:56 pm

cinewest wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 9:39 am
Three cheers for St. Gloede, and well deserved. Thanks for nourishing the more communicative part of what exists here.

In listening to folks on the podcast, I noticed that "the start of one's cinematic journey" can be thought of in different ways, perhaps depending on when people believe cinema invigorated them with passion and interest, or the nature of that passion and interest.

In my own case, I know that I was interested in movies from the time I first saw them, whether it was my mom taking me to the theater to see the latest children's movie (I was a child of the 60's), watching something on The Wonderful World of Disney (a weekly program at the time), or whether it was watching holiday favorites like The Wizard of Oz (perhaps my own favorite as a young child).
By the time I was 7 my taste for other kinds of movies began. I should perhaps explain that though I was a child of the TV generation in the U.S., my parents restricted my TV until high school at somewhere between 1 program and 10 hrs per week (It was a Disney movie at the beginning, and always included at least a movie per week thereafter), though I found ways of getting around that, first by accompanying my mom on the sofa to watch what she was watching before bed (usually a hollywood musical* or a classic comedy or drama**) on Friday or Saturday nights when my dad was working late night, or when I was on vacation at my grandparent's house (where I loaded up on Westerns (High Noon and Magnificent Seven were my two favorites, which played all the time on TV during the Summer or on weekends).
*I was more into the musicals that featured great dancing than those that just had singing (except The Yellow Submarine), and Gene Kelly movies were probably my favorite musicals, though I also liked many of the ex-broadway productions like Westside Story, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Oklahoma, etc.)
**I saw and enjoyed many classic hollywood dramas at a pretty young age, and though I followed actors like Brando and Bogart at the time, rather than directors, I later realized John Huston, David Lean, and Elia Kazan were 3 of my favorites.

When I got into my teens, I began going out to the movies with my friends (initially in the company of an adult) to see what are now considered to be the American classics of the 70's either when they first came out, or within a few years at one of the many revival theaters in San Francisco at the time. Still, it wasn't until my mid teens that my real passion for cinema was ignited, and that happened oddly enough when I was home from school with the Chicken Pox during a PBS pledge drive, during which they ran a marathon of films from the Janus Collection: My first Kurosawa, Bergman, Bunuel, The French New Wave (Hiroshima Mon Amor and Jules & Jim were two of my favorites), etc. I was in ecstasy.

For me, cinema wedded together the primary art forms I was already interested in from literature (which was my first major in college) to music, to the fine arts, and the filmmakers I discovered during that period opened my eyes to what films were capable of. I was lucky to have in my grandfather my first companion to see more of these kinds of films at local theaters (at one time I counted 15-20 theaters in San Francisco that devoted themselves to revival double features or foreign films), and when I entered college film appreciation classes further expanded my horizons, and I realized that film had its own unique properties that began with its ability to lull viewers into a semi-trance state in the dark and convince one that they were floating in an imaginary world.

There was no internet, or imdb, or check movies in those days, but I spent a lot of time in bookstores, and always found useful references among film books (loved reading Pauline Kael's reviews, and various film magazines like Sight & Sound. The San Francisco Bay Area was a great place to stoke my passion, too, as not only was it rife with film festivals throughout the year, but the Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley has access to the second largest film collection in the United States, and at both UC Berkeley and SF State university (I attended both), students could check out films to watch on their own in little screening booths (I remember seeing Marienbad, Tristana, The Seventh Seal, and L'aventura that way so I could use them for papers). I remember checking out the film scripts, as well.

The 1980's was probably the most exciting period of film viewing for me, but not because of what was being made available during the 80's, more because of all great films I was seeing from previous decades. I also began making short films with a friend who had access to equipment from the film department at SF State, and together we made 7 different kinds of shorts (3-23 minutes in length) a couple of which were accepted to film festivals. Around this time, I also regularly attended the SF International (one of the oldest film festivals in the U.S.), and I have had some of my most memorable film viewings there over the years, either in terms of new discoveries like Koyaanisqatsi, or with Von Trier (Europa Zentropa), or in restored classics like Marketa Lazarova. Unfortunately, the advent of VHS and video rental stores killed off most of the revival theaters, but it also allowed me to get access to some films on tape that I hadn't seen.

The early 90's led me to live abroad for the first time (I spent 3 years in Costa Rica), but even away from the city that had so nurtured my passion for cinema, I was able to make friends with a guy from CR who was studying film in Cuba, and he introduced me to Leo Carax, as well as the latest film by Eliseo Subiela, El Lado Oscuro del Corazon. When I got back from CR in the mid 90's, I discovered Kieslowski, Kiarostami, and Wong Kar Wai, and my passion for the medium was reignited. I can still remember how dumbstruck with awe I was after seeing Kieslowski's Blue, Kiarostami's Touch of Cherry, or films like Before The Rain, Dead Man, Ahn Hung Tran's Cyclo, Kustarica's Underground, Makmahlbaf's Moment of Innocence, Soukorov's Mother & Son, Malick's The Thin Red Line, Eternity and a Day, etc.

The 2000's was another watershed period of film viewing for me (mostly because I was mostly single and spent a lot of my free time at film festivals or at my local arthouse theater in San Rafael), and one that was full of new discoveries, most of them contemporary and hailing from foreign lands, but at this point, I'm well past what "ignited my film journey," so I'll leave it here, for now.
That was a great read!

Interesting how so many film love stories in part start with a prolonged sick sick-stay. Watching films truly can be the best medicine.

I'd love to hear more about or even see the films you were part of making that made it to the festival scene, incredibly impressive!

We'd also love to have you on the podcast sometime!

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » May 13th, 2020, 8:39 pm

I listened to the kinski episode last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I may be just a little biased but i'm still impressed by the great insight and contribution from everyone involved, your passion for films comes through and the editing has really tightened it all up. :cheers:

I'm excited to be a part of this project and can't wait to get the ball rolling on our next episode. Thanks to everyone who has listened in so far and if anyone has any feedback we would love to hear from you :thumbsup:

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 13th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Oh, and if you want a bit of a spoiler: The next episode will cover Spanish Horror.

tobias

Post by tobias » May 13th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Oh, I only see this now. Listening to the first episode and semi-reliving how I got into film. I watched Shining when I was 16 in soring 2013 and started realizing there was something behind films and then it took me like a week to start watching silent films and about a month before Sunrise got close to being my favourite film. Basically my cinematic sensibilities warped almost instantly, even strangely fast. Most of the big canon films I watched when I was 16 or 17.

Anyway would love to join at some point when I have time and it's a theme I have something to say about (Nouvelle Vague would be lovely for example or anything silent film related).

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » May 14th, 2020, 6:28 am

Onderhond wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 9:30 pm
Be sure to check out The Maus by Yayo Herrero.
Great review onderhond, I had mixed feelings on this one when I watched it a while back. I was impressed by the concept and the slick presentation but the resolution left me underwhelmed. I think I would have connected more with the film if it had relinquished the horror aspects, which is strange as I love horror. As you mention the director clearly has a keen eye for captivating cinematography so I would be curious to see if he returns to the genre at some point.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 14th, 2020, 7:23 am

filmbantha wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 6:28 am
As you mention the director clearly has a keen eye for captivating cinematography so I would be curious to see if he returns to the genre at some point.
It's merely a question of funding I think. Making a second film is never easy for directors like Herrero, but at least he seemed hopeful (with several scripts in the works). Realistically though, I'm afraid chances are slim.

I agree the ending is quite polarizing, but it's part of what made the film stand out for me :)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Would love some thoughts on ur Kinski episode and if you are more interested in:

1. General/Social Topics (like our first episode)
2. Film/Director/Actor, etc. specific deep dives like our Kinski episode
3. Broader exploration of films genres, movements, etc. like our upcoming Spanish Horror episode
4. More forum-specific, challenges, lists, etc.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » May 14th, 2020, 3:40 pm

I'd stay clear of #4, but everything else I find interesting.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 14th, 2020, 3:44 pm

1-3 sound good. 4 might be used as inspiration to pick topics for 1-3?

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » May 15th, 2020, 4:36 am

It was interesting listening to people's "paths," because there were so many common factors yet so few carried over to ME. Like, the IMDb had zero foundational influence on me -- it didn't really play a part in my world until the past 10 years or so. And even then, the "IMDB top 250" had no impact on me at all. I first regularly used IMDb just to look up various pet directors to find out about their less-known films...then it was in connection with ICM, just following IMDb links from ICM lists. And I never had a horror phase...never had a noir phase...parents didn't influence me at all...didn't come here from some other online film forum....

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 5:42 am

I discovered IMDb when I was 14, in 2007. I can't remember what came first -- seeing American Beauty or beginning to use the IMDb forums. That's the movie that caused me to develop an interest in film. It's no longer one of my very favorites, though I still give it a 4/5. When I started posting that year, I met my two best friends. The forums somewhat influenced the films I watched, but the IMDb top 250 never interested me in the slightest. I left film communities behind for a decade, and perhaps consequently, my viewing dropped way off. It wasn't until last year that I got really into Letterboxd and rediscovered my passion for film as art.

My parents didn't influence my taste at all. My dad likes shitty sci-fi -- not even the good stuff of the genre. Mom is remarkably easy to please and generally likes anything she sees or hears, but that tends to most often be classic rock greatest hits and CBS crime shows.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 15th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Just finished listening to the Kinski episode. I really want to watch Nosferatu in Venice now. Phantom der Nacht also deserves a rewatch. It's probably been 20 years since I've seen it.

I remember reading an article about Kinski in some magazine several years ago. I tried looking for that article, but I couldn't find it. What I remember most was how bizarre and dangerous the man supposedly was. The article said he was a sex addict and a pathological liar. And while I don't put much stock in psychiatric diagnoses, the article also speculated about personality disorder and psychopathy.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 19th, 2020, 9:45 am

I'm incredibly happy to announce that our 3-hour recording session, resulting in about 2.30h material has finally been cut down to 69 minutes and 39 seconds. Some darlings were left on the floor for sure, and we likely won't get this over ambitious right away again, but here we are.

Let me present to you, our attempt to talk you through the entirety of Spanish horror film history: https://talkingimages.sounder.fm/show/talking-images

We start from the very beginning, covering Jesus Franco's The Awful Dr. Orlof and The Sadistic Baron Von Klaus (the first ever two Spanish horror films!), and continue on through 60s, 70s and 80s Eurohorror onto In a Glass Cage, Anguish, The Day of the Beast, Thesis, The Orphanage, Timecrimes, [REC], Kidnapped and so, so, so much more.

We finish up with a detailed discussion of the recent super-hit The Platform, and our thoughts on the future of Spanish horror.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 19th, 2020, 12:58 pm

I skipped forward towards the discussion on recent horror, which was interesting to hear. Familiar titles of course, so a little section with off-the-radar tips would've been nice I think, but the discussion about The Platform was fun. I think the film brought an interesting perspective to the nature vs nurture debate and humanity's problem with heuristics.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 20th, 2020, 8:13 am

Thanks, Onderhond. Really happy you enjoyed it and that the structure worked so well that it was easy to jump into at any point based on interest. The Platform discussion was definitely one of the highlights for me, and that kind of focused discussion is what I would love to see a lot more of in future episodes.

I like your suggestion if we do a topic covering a broad period/type of cinema without a region again/movement/etc. again, we'll try to find a way to bring in hidden gems/shout-outs/recommendations (there were a few shoutouts/mentions beyond the main films, but maybe not exactly what you're looking for).

kingink

Post by kingink » May 20th, 2020, 7:15 pm

AdamH wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 12:55 pm
We're now on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus

:pleasing:

Make sure to click 'follow'!
Oh thats great news. It will make it much easier to listen to it!

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 20th, 2020, 10:32 pm

What's the next topic?

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 20th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Our next topic will be more general again:

"Our All-Time Favourite Film(s)", the discussion resting on what makes a film worthy of being our all-time favourite, our logic for choosing it, what it means to us and likely also how our all-time favourites have changed over the years. We are still discussing the structure.

After that we'd like to get a bit more specific again, and the proposal is a Rohmer episode, covering one of his film series, likely "Comedies and Proverbs", however, if we go down that route we will do another general episode in between to give everyone time for rewatches. (If anyone would like to join the Rohmer episode, feel free to raise your hand, and feel free to shout out any other suggestions).

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 20th, 2020, 10:52 pm

I was just listening to the latest episode, and at some point someone said, "The Platform can work on more than one level." And that made my entire day.

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » May 21st, 2020, 7:15 am

blocho wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 10:52 pm
I was just listening to the latest episode, and at some point someone said, "The Platform can work on more than one level." And that made my entire day.
That would be me - I'm always on the lookout for bad puns! Pleased it didn't go unnoticed :lol:

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 21st, 2020, 12:55 pm

I'd just like to add that we'd love more people to get involved. This is a forum project, and we want everyone to be able to do podcasts (if they want to). We would also appreciate any help we can get, from editing, to scheduling, to promotion to ideas. There are so many ways you can help out and be a part of this.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 22nd, 2020, 4:56 am

St. Gloede wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 10:46 pm
"Our All-Time Favourite Film(s)", the discussion resting on what makes a film worthy of being our all-time favourite, our logic for choosing it, what it means to us and likely also how our all-time favourites have changed over the years.
Very interesting topic. Not that easy though, so I'm looking forward to hear what people have to say about this.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 24th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Lilarcor wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 8:52 am

I'm interested in joining as a guest at some point!
Why don't you join the discord, we have an idea thread and you can suggest or join in behind the support of Podcasts. There's also a ideas discussion threat, a general chat and a "watch parties" thread (bad films only).

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 24th, 2020, 2:51 pm

tobias wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:00 pm
Anyway would love to join at some point when I have time and it's a theme I have something to say about (Nouvelle Vague would be lovely for example or anything silent film related).
You should join the discord too, Tobias!

Adam and I are trying to get support for a Rohmer podcast, where we discuss one of his cycles (Probably Comedies and Proverbs), but we can't quite get the participants. If you're in we could easily put one on.

We are also have two silent topics approved already. We try to keep Podcasts to one 4-5 participants, but we are thinking of ways to do structures that make sense with more - plus our thumbs up system can allow only those interested in joining to sign up and the thumbs up can be the participants.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 24th, 2020, 2:53 pm

We'd also love more people involved as producers, taking on editing, etc. So even if you're not on as a guest, if you're not comfortable with your voice, etc. you can still have a say and participate.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » May 24th, 2020, 8:12 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Lilarcor wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 8:52 am

I'm interested in joining as a guest at some point!
Why don't you join the discord, we have an idea thread and you can suggest or join in behind the support of Podcasts. There's also a ideas discussion threat, a general chat and a "watch parties" thread (bad films only).
Great, will do! Completely missed the discord thing!

tobias

Post by tobias » May 24th, 2020, 11:23 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:51 pm
tobias wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:00 pm
You should join the discord too, Tobias!

Adam and I are trying to get support for a Rohmer podcast, where we discuss one of his cycles (Probably Comedies and Proverbs), but we can't quite get the participants. If you're in we could easily put one on.

We are also have two silent topics approved already. We try to keep Podcasts to one 4-5 participants, but we are thinking of ways to do structures that make sense with more - plus our thumbs up system can allow only those interested in joining to sign up and the thumbs up can be the participants.
Oh my god, so much yes! I recently got my field recorder and cables back after borrowing it out for a filmshoot and it should work as a decent microphone (I lost my good headphones but I still have some crappy ones which should suffice). I'm currently in somewhat shaky whereabouts and don't really have a room of my own but I think it should still very much be possible.

I think Comedies and Poverbs sounds great! I feel like it is Rohmer's most interesting cylce and the one there is the most to say about. I actually recently rewatched The Green Ray with some friends. Do you have any ideas when you plan on doing the episode?

I'll head into the discord now. Never used dicord before though.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 25th, 2020, 12:02 am

St. Gloede wrote:

"Our All-Time Favourite Film(s)", the discussion resting on what makes a film worthy of being our all-time favourite, our logic for choosing it, what it means to us and likely also how our all-time favourites have changed over the years. We are still discussing the structure.

After that we'd like to get a bit more specific again, and the proposal is a Rohmer episode, covering one of his film series, likely "Comedies and Proverbs", however, if we go down that route we will do another general episode in between to give everyone time for rewatches. (If anyone would like to join the Rohmer episode, feel free to raise your hand, and feel free to shout out any other suggestions).
Sounds like a topic I'd love to weigh in on. Unfortunately, I am pretty busy at the moment between giving online classes, revising / editing a book, and caring for twin 1 year olds, but I'll definitely listen, piecemeal, and respond on this thread.

Speaking of "piecemeal," that's how i've been forced to watch Ruiz's adaptation of Proust, Time Regained. I should be able to get through it at the third sitting, but I am so exhausted by the end of the day that I can't keep my eyes open for more than an additional 40 minutes, or so, and I like the movie a lot. Oddly enough, watching it this way seems to recreate the dreamy, timeless state with Proust and the film are trying to evoke, and I find it easy to identify with the bedridden Proust, as well as his slipping in and out of consciousness.

When you say "all time favorite(s)," how many are you talking about? Hopefully not a list of 500+ like people submit to various polls...

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 25th, 2020, 9:09 am

cinewest wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 12:02 am
St. Gloede wrote:

Sounds like a topic I'd love to weigh in on. Unfortunately, I am pretty busy at the moment between giving online classes, revising / editing a book, and caring for twin 1 year olds, but I'll definitely listen, piecemeal, and respond on this thread.

Speaking of "piecemeal," that's how i've been forced to watch Ruiz's adaptation of Proust, Time Regained. I should be able to get through it at the third sitting, but I am so exhausted by the end of the day that I can't keep my eyes open for more than an additional 40 minutes, or so, and I like the movie a lot. Oddly enough, watching it this way seems to recreate the dreamy, timeless state with Proust and the film are trying to evoke, and I find it easy to identify with the bedridden Proust, as well as his slipping in and out of consciousness.

When you say "all time favorite(s)," how many are you talking about? Hopefully not a list of 500+ like people submit to various polls...
We'd love to have you on sometime.

We recorded the All-Time Favourite episode on Saturday, and we hope to have the editing done today. It is just our favourite 1(-2) films.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 25th, 2020, 1:42 pm

I listened to the two last episodes this weekend. I liked them. Liked the fourth the most of all episode. Those kind of episodes which focuses on a genre, country, movement or director interest me the most, more than discussions and review of one particular movie. The discussion about Platform interested me less. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of knowledge many brought to the discussion, which is what I look for in a podcast. Simple discussion about "dude that movie is awesome, no bro it sucks" don't interest me much. Luckily you guys stayed away from that mostly so far.

Another thing; don't be too afraid of spoilers. Of course try to keep away from mentioning the ending of casual mentioned movie. But when discussing a movie in depth, like Platform, I think you can discuss the whole movie in depth. People that haven't seen the movie and don't want get spoiled can turn the podcast of, or skip that part. Discussions often get much better that way. Of course do give a spoiler warning when they are coming up

Btw, I think the decline of Italian and Spanish horror in the late 70s and 80s has to do with the decline in cinema attendance and the rise of tv (and later vhs) in those countries, where tv took of later than the US of North-Western Europe

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 25th, 2020, 10:16 pm

The next episode will be out tomorrow.