Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Talking Images: [Ep 14 NOW AVAILABLE] The Decline of Film Forums

flavo5000

Re: Talking Images: [Ep 4 NOW AVAILABLE] The All-Time Favourite Film

Post by flavo5000 » June 2nd, 2020, 12:51 pm

Hey, just noticed these were getting released after sol randomly referenced the euro horror episode in the Iberian Challenge. Sounds cool! I'll have to check them out over the next week.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 4:30 pm
cinewest wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 3:27 pm
I think we're all caught up with our own sense of individualism and freedom of opinion / choice.... And look where that has taken us in America, now.
I don't think the outcome of greater individualism should be negative per sé, but it surely hasn't helped the current situation in the US.
cinewest wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 3:27 pm
I think there is also something else going on that is more noble, and has to do with an expression of authenticity, though honestly one can do this much more effectively through one's life choices and actions than through one's pursuit of entertainment.
Definitely (if I understand you correctly that is). While there is no doubt a link between taste and personality, I don't think it's as obvious as many think it is and it's not something you can derive yourself unless you know a person really, really well. Personally I never understood people who tried/wanted to express themselves through their choice of entertainment, on the other hand I do enjoy very particular and extrovert subcultures.
Honestly I think actual individualism in the US is a pretty rare commodity. Much of the culture is dominated with echo chambers of opinions that just reinforce existing prejudices. As someone who has a lot of relatives that live in Alabama, I find it really bizarre to see the completely disparate views and interpretations of the exact same event from two different people. Much of it is because of a lack of independent thought though. They see a random post on Facebook and just believe it at face value. Or they hear something on their favorite right wing podcast and just believe it without fact checking. By the way, don't let this sound like I'm only being critical of conservatives either. I see the same thing on the left. Someone tweets or posts something, and everyone just believes it. This is pretty much the opposite of individualism.

As far as people expressing themselves through media, I have definitely observed this quite a lot. People, in seeking to single themselves out as individuals, latch onto a specific sub-culture which ironically has the opposite outcome. At my place of work on our Slack network, someone had created a #starwars channel just for non-worked related Star Wars talk I guess. It's interesting to see multiple different people have the same rote, almost rehearsed phrases that get repeated on their "opinions" of the new movies that seem to just echo whatever the loudest trolls on the internet happen to say. And when I try to break down exactly what issues they have with a specific film (which shouldn't be hard...there isn't a single Star Wars film without issues), either they keep just repeating the same phrases or just stop responding altogether.

At the end of the day, I try not to be critical of what people enjoy. I'm not shy in giving my own opinion, but if Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2: Fall Harder or whatever floats your boat, more power to ya. I certainly love stuff that some may look on with disdain like all the schlock horror that I unabashedly revel in from time to time. I've been really enjoying the 'zine/tome Weng's Chop lately just because of it's refreshing lack of negativity. Everyone writing an article shows a genuine love for whatever random thing they're writing about, whether it's obscure Bollywood horror movies or Indonesian action flicks. As I get older, I've tried to find the good in things more. It's easy to piss on something and call it trash, but at least to me, at the end of the day, if I can find something worthwhile about what I just spent two hours on, I feel better about myself.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 2nd, 2020, 1:46 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm
Honestly I think actual individualism in the US is a pretty rare commodity. Much of the culture is dominated with echo chambers of opinions that just reinforce existing prejudices. As someone who has a lot of relatives that live in Alabama, I find it really bizarre to see the completely disparate views and interpretations of the exact same event from two different people. Much of it is because of a lack of independent thought though. They see a random post on Facebook and just believe it at face value. Or they hear something on their favorite right wing podcast and just believe it without fact checking. By the way, don't let this sound like I'm only being critical of conservatives either. I see the same thing on the left. Someone tweets or posts something, and everyone just believes it. This is pretty much the opposite of individualism.
I'm not up to date on the different definitions and nuances of the word individualism, but I feel there might be multiple angles here.

I follow and agree with what you're saying above though, confirmation bias and social media are a very toxic mix that quickly leads to extreme polarization. Though it's still very dependent on the topic. It seems some people are ready to accept 50+ different types of gender identities, but are completely binary when it comes to politics. I'm sure a lot of in-depth articles will be written about this period of time, it's equally frightening as it is fascinating how people get riled up over things, but it seems hard for people to take an outside-in view from time to time. (not sure if you check the "political" threads on the forum from time to time, but conversation there happens mostly through tweets, opinion pieces and late night TV show host videos).

There's also the kind of individualism where the "I" is most important. The #mytruth movement where everybody's feelings matter equally and whatnot. I think this is the individualism mostly referenced when people are using it in a negative way :)
flavo5000 wrote:
As far as people expressing themselves through media, I have definitely observed this quite a lot. People, in seeking to single themselves out as individuals, latch onto a specific sub-culture which ironically has the opposite outcome.
Definitely, but this isn't something new. It does feel like pop culture in general has had a strong influence on this. I never quite got it, but like I said, I do appreciate it in some way or another. The weirdos give some color to this world, even though they're expressing themselves in similarly strict ways as the "normals".
flavo5000 wrote:
At the end of the day, I try not to be critical of what people enjoy. I'm not shy in giving my own opinion, but if Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2: Fall Harder or whatever floats your boat, more power to ya.
Hear hear! When I started blogging 12 years ago I decided I'd rather spend more time promoting the things I love than split it down to middle to slag off certain films. I don't think it has made my ratings any softer (on the contrary in fact, because any high rating translates into quite a bit of work :D ), but it made my hobby a lot nicer. And I've talked with so many passionate film fans through the years that it feels dishonest to consider any type of film objectively "lesser". People look for different things in films and in the end it just makes up a small part of someone's life, so there's really no way to judge unless you thoroughly know a person.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 2nd, 2020, 4:32 pm

New episode: "Unwatched Gems or Carefully Avoided Trash?"

Listen here:
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus
Sounder - https://talkingimages.sounder.fm/show/talking-images

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 3rd, 2020, 10:41 am

Btw, we followed the suggestion here to add a standardized intro and outro theme, hope you like it.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » June 3rd, 2020, 2:15 pm

I did like it, and some of the banter between panelists, as well, either in response to what someone else said, or in your case, at times, by asking followup questions. In fact, maybe you should consider taking on more of the host's role by asking more questions in addition to providing your views.

I wrote a long response earlier, but hand the wind taken out of my sails when my computer froze, and I had to reboot. I lost a a long response to the 50's poll yesterday, as well, and just haven't had the time or energy to rewrite everything I wrote the first time.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 3rd, 2020, 2:25 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 10:41 am
Btw, we followed the suggestion here to add a standardized intro and outro theme, hope you like it.
I like the idea, but the music does sound a bit too "public domain", making it a bit cheaper than what you might be going for. The extra interaction was nice though!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 4th, 2020, 8:37 am

Onderhond wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 2:25 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 10:41 am
I like the idea, but the music does sound a bit too "public domain", making it a bit cheaper than what you might be going for. The extra interaction was nice though!
Thanks for the feedback, we may upgrade next "season".

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 4th, 2020, 8:39 am

cinewest wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 2:15 pm
I did like it, and some of the banter between panelists, as well, either in response to what someone else said, or in your case, at times, by asking followup questions. In fact, maybe you should consider taking on more of the host's role by asking more questions in addition to providing your views.

I wrote a long response earlier, but hand the wind taken out of my sails when my computer froze, and I had to reboot. I lost a a long response to the 50's poll yesterday, as well, and just haven't had the time or energy to rewrite everything I wrote the first time.
Really happy to hear that! And great suggestion, I will try to pry more into the ideas (something others did as well), gets more engaging that way.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 10th, 2020, 5:02 pm

New episode, They Spoil Pictures, Don't They: Do Spoilers Actually Hurt Films? is now out.

Listen here:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 10th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Ignore - mistaken post.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 18th, 2020, 3:02 pm

We just finished Part 1 of our deep-dive into Eric Rohmer's Comedies and Proverbs cycle. This is by far the most ambitious episode we have done, and proved itself too ambitious as it resulted in a 3 and a half-hour recording and endless cutting that lasted over 6 days. I did 11+ hours of editing, and I'm sure Clem did 4+ as well - intense, extreme, but we learned a lot!

The result was a 78 minute episode we truly hope you'll enjoy - though of course, it will be in Part 2 (yet to be recorded) that we can truly show how Comedies and Proverbs ties together and acts as an incredible whole.

You can listen here:

Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T » June 23rd, 2020, 11:52 am

The podcast is good stuff. Great job!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » July 16th, 2020, 8:35 am

You can listen to our in-depth discussion of the second part of Eric Rohmer's Comedies and Proverbs cycle here. Don't worry, there will be clear spoiler warning:

You can listen to Part 2 here:

Sounder - https://talking-images.sounder.fm/episo ... cle-part-2

Oh, and if you haven't listen to Part 1 yet you can find it here:

Sounder - https://talking-images.sounder.fm/episo ... cle-part-1

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 16th, 2020, 8:42 am

I will listen to it. I've been listening to all episodes untill now. Keep up the good work!

I liked the last Rohmer episode and the Mainstream episode the most. The first, because of the content, it was a discussion about specific movies (or director) which I like most as content. The later cause it felt most as a natural discussion.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » July 16th, 2020, 8:47 am

Lovely to hear that Lonewolf! I hope you will enjoy Part 2 even more, we certainly did.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 16th, 2020, 9:16 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 8:42 am
I will listen to it. I've been listening to all episodes untill now. Keep up the good work!

I liked the last Rohmer episode and the Mainstream episode the most. The first, because of the content, it was a discussion about specific movies (or director) which I like most as content. The later cause it felt most as a natural discussion.
That's great to hear, thanks Lonewolf!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » July 24th, 2020, 3:52 pm

"Please Do Disturb: The Most Disturbing Films We Have Ever Seen" can be heard here:

Sounder - https://talking-images.sounder.fm/episo ... f-all-time