Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 4 released May 26th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

Valkoinen peura AKA The White Reindeer (1952) FotW #327

Cocoa
Donator

Valkoinen peura AKA The White Reindeer (1952) FotW #327

Post by Cocoa » April 5th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Film of the Week #327: Valkoinen peura AKA The White Reindeer (1952)

Summary:
A newly wed woman goes to the local shaman to get some help with her lovelife, but instead gets turned into a white reindeer vampire.

#283 on 500<400, with 333 checks.
Nominated by Minkin and xianjiro.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 resultsShow
#283(NEW) Valkoinen peura (1952)
[The White Reindeer]

Directed by: Erik Blomberg
(352.22 Pts, 15 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–1
History: 28375046614293772NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 308 Checks , 23 Favourites , 3 Official lists
List of Voters:Show
paul281f (14)
weirdboy (NA)
Traveller (51)
PynchonesquePatrick (52)
Cinepolis (83)
klaus78 (118)
rnilsson19 (133)
nimimerkillinen (157)
Lonewolf2003 (NA)
frbrown (177)
John Milton (185)
Mate_cosido (NA)
Smoover (NA)
XxXApathy420XxX (525)
Cocoa (663)

This movie fits the current Nordic Challenge.

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 5th, 2020, 3:37 pm

This film also fits the 1950s challenge. The short summary for this film always makes me laugh. I enjoyed the film, but haven't watched it in years.

erde

Post by erde » April 5th, 2020, 3:43 pm

This film also fits the Nordic challenge, since it's from Finland. It's one of my favourite Finnish films. Not as silly as the short summary suggests. :)
Image Image

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 6th, 2020, 6:14 am

I thought this was an okay film. I still think it's a little bit silly, but it does have some great scenes, and it's definitely an interesting premise that you don't see often.

I gave it a 7/10 when I saw it a few years ago.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » April 6th, 2020, 4:24 pm

The premise looked great but the execution ... meh

Saw it last year and think I gave it a 6,5
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » April 6th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 6:14 am
I gave it a 7/10 when I saw it a few years ago.
Same. The details completely elude me now, but I recall solid visuals, photography and a beautiful landscape...

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 7th, 2020, 4:37 am

erde wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 3:43 pm
This film also fits the Nordic challenge, since it's from Finland. It's one of my favourite Finnish films. Not as silly as the short summary suggests. :)
I've seen several people with those neat signatures. Where does one acquire such a thing?

Also, if anyone wants to link me to this film, I'd be happy to watch and discuss. If not, that's totally fine and I understand.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 7th, 2020, 6:48 am

kongs_speech wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 4:37 am
erde wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 3:43 pm
I've seen several people with those neat signatures. Where does one acquire such a thing?

Also, if anyone wants to link me to this film, I'd be happy to watch and discuss. If not, that's totally fine and I understand.
You can get the signatures for all official lists here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/signature/

Check your inbox in about half an hour for the film.

erde

Post by erde » April 7th, 2020, 9:27 am

kongs_speech wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 4:37 am
Just go to the link that Fergenaprido sent, choose a signature and copy the HTML or UBB code there. Then go to your forum profile > edit profile > edit signature, and paste the code there. Voilà.
Image Image

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 7th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Thanks to both of you!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 8th, 2020, 5:23 am

Watched this today and was rather underwhelmed... (5/10)
SpoilerShow
It took at least 25% of the film to get to the entire point of it, and it was boring for me along the way to that point. Then, the big reveal is... stupid. Magic. Magic guy say things, magic girl turns into a reindeer. I don't do well with supernatural premises and this was too out there for my tastes.

Some great visuals for sure, like others have said, which saved the overall experience for me; it was also nice seeing how people live in such a northern climate at the time and utilize reindeer and how they get around on sleds and skis. But it falls into the camp of films I'd go out of my way to avoid seeing again.

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » April 8th, 2020, 8:59 am

Watched it three months ago. Great visuals, but pretty dull. 6/10

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » April 8th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Watched it for the last 50s challenge in 2019. Even bought the Masters of Cinema release. I enjoyed the visuals and folklore narrative.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 8th, 2020, 4:57 pm

This seems like one of the more divisive films of the week I can remember.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 8th, 2020, 11:35 pm

I really enjoyed this last night. It reminded me of a Val Lewton production, especially something along the lines of Cat People. The cinematography was very nice as well. I was talking to my Dutch friend last night after I saw the film, and he sent me a picture of his Masters of Cinema Blu-Ray, so apparently it's a more well-known film than I thought.

erde

Post by erde » April 9th, 2020, 4:59 am

kongs_speech wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 11:35 pm
I really enjoyed this last night. It reminded me of a Val Lewton production, especially something along the lines of Cat People. The cinematography was very nice as well.
I made the same connection myself. I really enjoyed the strong metaphysical vibe of the movie, as well as the great visuals, when I saw it years ago. I recall a similar elevated, meditative atmosphere than in e.g. I walked with a zombie.
Image Image

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 10th, 2020, 1:09 am

Plot and characters are a bit threadbare, but there's some beautiful snowy landscape photography and a few great sequences that verge on surrealism.

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » April 10th, 2020, 1:32 pm

I watched it just now in a kind of exalted and sleepy state. In the park nearby, where I often walk my old pug, there's now because of Corona, on Sundays and free days always an assembly of wanna-be policemen. These security workers can't refrain from always telling me to put the dog on leash. And this while he's actually on a leash, it's just that it's a check cord that' meant to be kept at ground and when dangers lurks one steps on it. Of course the bright bulbs don't understand this, and I get always very easily enervated by (unnatural) authorities so I took the double dosage of all my calm down meds and therefore I'm a bit high now and it's hard to stay awake. But I still have an elevated heart reason. Only writing this to calm down. Hopefully, the next movie is doing a better job but I love the cinematography and it's interesting at times. 6.8/10

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 11th, 2020, 8:02 am

Good snowy landscape movie. Meh story. I sort of vaguely remember Cat People enough to get the references, but there are some things that trouble me - maybe part of this is the translation I had to work with.

Old man travels the Arctic snowlands with a goat for a companion preforming magic and yet the woman who comes to him because she misses her husband is the 'witch.' No, not the least bit sexist.

The 'witch' - who if I understood correctly was 'born that way' - grows fangs and either drinks the blood of her male victims or eats their flesh. This is conveniently left to our (bored) imaginations.

When the 'witch' changes into her animal form she also becomes male (note the 'horn' on the belly, unless reindeer have a different mammary structure than other ungulates. Not really sure what this says about the men of the frozen north other than maybe "Finland, where the men are men and male reindeer are nervous"?

When the 'witch' returns to the altar and bangs her fists on it, it clearly gives way suggesting fabric or maybe leather. In the next shot, her hands are on very solid rock.

Sorry, can't resist the pun given what I just saw, but this one left me cold. 6/10

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here