Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

2020 Awards Season

xianjiro
Donator

2020 Awards Season

Post by xianjiro » April 5th, 2020, 9:48 am

Not sure when the awards season year changes from one to the next, and since I didn't find one for 2020 yet with out search tool, here goes the first entry, and, as they say, now for something completely different.

Pixar pioneers behind Toy Story animation win "Nobel Prize" of computing

Now that's some award! :poshclap:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 26th, 2020, 4:51 pm

I wonder if this will be a weird year for awards with not enough good movies released.
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 26th, 2020, 6:15 pm

My gut tells me that they will play movies in NYC/LA the bare minimum to be eligible

Or the Oscars will remove that eligibility requirement this year

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 27th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Might be the perfect time for the Razzies and Oscars to have joint telecast.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » August 28th, 2020, 8:02 am

blueboybob wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:15 pm
My gut tells me that they will play movies in NYC/LA the bare minimum to be eligible

Or the Oscars will remove that eligibility requirement this year
They've already changed it so eligibility runs to Feb 2021, and some tweaks on what theatrical release is acceptable (some other cities and online only is allowed if it was originally planned for cinemas).

It will be a weird one, most likely get some weak categories

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 9th, 2020, 8:51 am

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Teproc

Post by Teproc » September 9th, 2020, 9:00 am

Looking at the requirements, this is probably not going to affect much. The only effect it's likely to have is to maybe bar some very small indie movies from getting into BP... which they probably wouldn't have anyway.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 9th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Oh they can just meet the last 2 criteria.
But I wonder how you can test for being LGBTQ, lol.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » September 9th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Seriously, they only have to get 2 of those criteria.

For instance:

1. At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.
or
At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:
• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

2. B1. Creative leadership and department heads

At least two of the following creative leadership positions and department heads—Casting Director, Cinematographer, Composer, Costume Designer, Director, Editor, Hairstylist, Makeup Artist, Producer, Production Designer, Set Decorator, Sound, VFX Supervisor, Writer—are from the following underrepresented groups:
Women
• Racial or ethnic group
LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

:ICM:

My God where are we going to find a gay hairstylist or a female makeup artist.

:facepalm:

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 9th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Charlie Kaufman's new'n on Netflix now if you didn't know :party: Too esoteric for big prizes but might get the odd nomination.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7939766/

eutow

Post by eutow » September 10th, 2020, 10:08 pm

Armoreska wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 1:32 pm
Oh they can just meet the last 2 criteria.
But I wonder how you can test for being LGBTQ, lol.
jeroeno wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 6:43 pm
My God where are we going to find a gay hairstylist or a female makeup artist.

:facepalm:
Honestly, at first I was sort of angered by the way how they treat diversity in an awfully amero-centric way - not every place on Earth has the "white dominant + discriminated non-whites" sort of system. In many places the xenophobia and structural prejudice can manifest within the same race. Does "Parasite" do the "representation of underrepresented groups"? Not very likely in Korea (unless we have the classic marxist approach, proleteriat vs. bourgeois, but that's a bit out of fashion I guess), but it does through western (white-dominated) lens. Furthermore, in many places LGBT people would much prefer to keep their sexuality unknown to the superiors and colleagues.
But, as you most likely correctly notice, it makes no actual difference. Even if we boiled it down to the above two requirements that I find most problematic, it's not like Oscars care a whole lot about the cinematographies of the countries who have such problems and different histories.
Still, that whole approach is frustrating, a continuation of Oscar's typical "USA=world" approach which I thought was finally being brought into question with "Parasite".

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 11th, 2020, 3:31 am

Glad to see a new voice, @eutow - welcome! You make some great points. Clearly many in the US - it matters not if it is traditional business, entertainment, or even worse, politics - can't see very far beyond the border.

As for LGBTQ people wanting to keep their sexuality private, I think this is really a mixed bag and depends a lot on context and where one is working. Clearly its going to be very different in Vancouver than Tehran.

IDK, I'm pretty non-plussed by the whole thing and wonder if this will go the way of the popular film award that was suggested in the recent past. Granted, they are trying to change, but we're really talking about systemic issues. The Academy is a private club and members decide who get to be members (let alone who gets nominated). Until membership truly reflects the world of cinema, how can we expect their awards to do anything but reflect their membership?

sol can find me here

Teproc

Post by Teproc » September 11th, 2020, 6:14 am

I don't think the Oscars should be looking beyond their borders actually. They're an American institution emanated from the Hollywood film industry, not some kind of UN of films. Regarding these new rules, I don't think that's the way to do it, and I think they realize it themselves, which is why they ended up with these very permissive criteria, so easy to match that they make the whole exercise pointless aside of maybe disqualifying a long-shot indie sometimes, if that.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 11th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Disabled people are everywhere tho. And a movie from Korea would consist of 100% minorities if analyzed from US perspeck.

I wonder if James Woods is gonna come out as bisexual. :whistling:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 11th, 2020, 3:09 pm

xianjiro wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 3:31 am
The Academy is a private club and members decide who get to be members (let alone who gets nominated). Until membership truly reflects the world of cinema, how can we expect their awards to do anything but reflect their membership?
"45% of this year's members are women and 36% are minorities."
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 11th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Armoreska wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 3:09 pm
xianjiro wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 3:31 am
The Academy is a private club and members decide who get to be members (let alone who gets nominated). Until membership truly reflects the world of cinema, how can we expect their awards to do anything but reflect their membership?
"45% of this year's members are women and 36% are minorities."
Yeah, been seeing numbers like that over the last few years though if they are mostly still working in North America, not sure it goes as far in addressing the issues pointed out by @eutow.

Has anyone said anything quotable about formulaic solutions to systemic problems? Seems like there should be.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Teproc wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:14 am
I don't think the Oscars should be looking beyond their borders actually. They're an American institution emanated from the Hollywood film industry, not some kind of UN of films.
This is one of the reasons I'd like to see their mission statement. Initially, I expected one of the As to stand for American in their acronym AMPAS, but it's Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, so not necessarily the same thing as BFI or NFB.

But the real issue is that their reach is global and like it or not, the two biggest events of the cinematic year are Cannes and the Oscars.

Also, we have to remember that much of this current drive to diversify is aimed at satisfying just criticism that people of color still have trouble landing parts and even reflecting American society. Reflecting that diversity is different than reflecting the planet's diversity.

I still think way too much emphasis is given to the Oscars in the bigger scheme of things - it really is just part of the great big marketing machine.

sol can find me here