Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 4 released May 26th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

Going topical: Plague Movies

prodigalgodson

Re: Going topical: Plague Movies

Post by prodigalgodson » April 14th, 2020, 10:21 pm

brokenface wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 5:37 pm
Not a plague movie, but a movie that's come to mind with the sudden weird shift in atmosphere is Melancholia. I was thinking about it today and how the reactions of the depressive and the optimist differ to the external events
I was kinda thinking about that too. Personally, my depressive tendencies got a boost during the first week or so, before I readjusted to the new normal and sunk back into ennui a bit. I feel like this whole thing is giving me a bit of a beneficial shift in perspective though.

Death in Venice is the only great movie set in a plague I think I've seen, and like cinewest said the plague isn't exactly the thematic focus (ditto the fun Black Death and Masque of the Red Death). Has anyone adapted Camus's book?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 14th, 2020, 10:29 pm

prodigalgodson wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 10:21 pm
Has anyone adapted Camus's book?
adapted to the screen in 1992

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » April 15th, 2020, 6:10 am

Ah, nice

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 29th, 2020, 7:05 pm

So, been avoiding this topic but will chime in since I stumbled upon Besat (1999) - not sure exactly where it's going but in an early scene they say something like "imagine a virus as deadly as Ebola that spreads as easy as influenza ... it would spread around the globe in 24 hours thanks to air traffic" blah blah blah

So, we now know better, right? These movies. Ugh.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

albajos

Post by albajos » April 29th, 2020, 7:48 pm

The Cinema Snob is doing a series (as he's usually doing explotation) on Plague and similar, and so far

The Stand - generally episdoe 1 - the spread of superflu (and the ones that don't want to call it that)
The Patriot - the Steven Segal one - virus terrorism
Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America - Bird Flu mutates into a virus that can spread between humans
Corona Zombies (2020) - yes, this exists - 80% is footage from Hell of the living dead aka Virus (1980) and 20% is jokes about social distancing and toilet paper

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 1st, 2020, 3:19 am

xianjiro wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 7:05 pm
So, been avoiding this topic but will chime in since I stumbled upon Besat (1999) - not sure exactly where it's going but in an early scene they say something like "imagine a virus as deadly as Ebola that spreads as easy as influenza ... it would spread around the globe in 24 hours thanks to air traffic" blah blah blah

Yeah I saw that recently as well. It starts out sounding like a pandemic film and then goes in a completely different direction.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 1st, 2020, 4:15 am

weirdboy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 3:19 am
xianjiro wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Yeah I saw that recently as well. It starts out sounding like a pandemic film and then goes in a completely different direction.
While I knew nothing going in - only watched it because I had it and it's a current DtC nominee - it seems pretty clear that this is a popular 'fear' (planetwide pandemic in days or weeks) in cinema. I'm sure some of the other films mentioned on this thread have fairly similar timelines. I've seen a handful (Stand, I Am Legend come to mind, sure there are others) and it's always overwhelmingly fast.

HIV was fairly slow moving, but it's not nearly as infectious as SARS-2. Other tropical plagues have also been much deadlier and it's not like there weren't flights in and out of west or equatorial Africa during the various severe outbreaks they had there. SARS & MERS stayed pretty contained in comparison. So I guess you really need a supernatural element or the whole narrative falls in the shitter.

Now please, don't misunderstand. I'm not saying these aren't serious plagues, but unlike movies that play on the fear factor, real life is teaching us that, yes, we can do something to slow and contain the spread. It's not a given that mankind will be decimated. Or, given the movies, 'nonacimated'.

While I totally expect at few Oscar nominees to come from this crisis, for the most part, plague movies seem to have more in common with mad-slasher films that science.

So, anyone want to predict what the movies will be called? I'm think like the crop of post Great Recession films: Wolf of Wall Street, The Big Short, The Queen of Versailles, Inside Job, Margin Call, etc.

Surely someone will think Don't Stand So Close to Me would be a perfect title.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 6th, 2020, 12:13 am

albajos wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 8:04 am
OldAle1 wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 5:51 pm
So I watched Wolfang Petersen's Outbreak last night - O MY GOD is this a terrible, terrible film. In fact it's one of those films that is so bad I have to call into question my whole viewing/rating/thinking about film philosophy, particularly when it applies to dumbass American blockbusters, which I've always liked maybe more than I should. The plot gets to whole levels of stupid that few films ever dare to hit, and the acting - with one exception - is some of the worst I've ever seen from a talented cast. OK I guess Spacey isn't bad - he's pretty much what he always is; Dustin Hoffman, Rene Russo, Morgan Freeman, Cuba Gooding Jr - all terrible, with Donald Sutherland deserving singling out for one of the worst stereotypical villains I've ever seen. The exception though is J.T. Walsh as the WH Chief of Staff who is absolutely brilliant in his one little 3-minute harangue of the President's cabinet; he alone is responsible for a ratings point, and there are a few other moments here and there - some of the anti-military rage from Hoffman towards the end isn't bad. But on the whole this is just acres of stupid, and anybody who can't predict almost everything that's going to happen - including which of the main characters will die, and which will get sick but will get the newly synthesized-in-just-a-few-minutes treatment drug just in time - really hasn't watched enough movies.
I give it 1/10, and that was my original rating in the 90s. Any movie you get stupider by watching do not really have a reason to get anything else, and everything is wrong in that one.
ugh - Hoffman was just so wrong. Even more wronger than their goofy science. Gee, one wonders if a someone watched this while holed up on Penn Ave and then decided to blame the other guys. WCWDTB?

There's a tiny part of me that wonders what the reviews and comments were like in the mid-nineties. But a much bigger part of me wants to drink this movie away. 😵💉💊🍸🚽

sol can find me here

We Are One

Post by We Are One » May 11th, 2020, 12:00 am

Quarantine has had me thinking about "They're Creeping Up on You" from Creepshow.