Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Sexual Assault in Film/TV/Doc/Media

mightysparks
Site Admin

Sexual Assault in Film/TV/Doc/Media

Post by mightysparks » February 29th, 2020, 4:40 am

I'm trying to put together a resource of films that mention/involve sexual assault of any kind, in any way, to help me with my dissertation next year. I was thinking of doing it on trauma originally, but the 'Sexual Assault of Men Played for Laughs' video changed my mind and I'm leaning towards something to do with representation of sexual assault in film and other media. Haven't narrowed that down to a specific focus yet, but I figure I may as well start collecting resources.

I've started a spreadsheet here for anyone interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing (still in early days so a lot of obvious ones missing at this point)

If anyone watches a film/TV show/documentary or reads/watches a form of news about sexual assault, I'd appreciate it if you could mention it in this thread. It doesn't matter how minor it is, whether it be an off-hand comment or joke, an actual assault scene, a suggestion, the 'aftermath' etc - I'm interested in all of it. Thanks for any help :)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » February 29th, 2020, 7:11 am

The link makes us ask for permission to view the spreadsheet. Is that intentional?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 29th, 2020, 7:44 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 7:11 am
The link makes us ask for permission to view the spreadsheet. Is that intentional?
Nope, I'm just really terrible at Google sheets lol, I think this should work: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » February 29th, 2020, 11:56 am

I can probably go through my list of films I've seen and help you gather some data.

I'm in the middle of one of the WC films right now, and lo and behold, sexual assault within the first 20 minutes!
pretty major spoiler if you haven't yet seen the filmShow
Luna Papa, around the 19-minute mark, the lead girl (mid-to-late teens perhaps) is wandering a hillside in the night where she meets an unknown (and mostly unseen) male (adult?) actor, when they both slip and fall down the hill. She is on top of him (her back on his front) and they artistically and magically slide down the muddy slope, she still in her symbolically white virginal dress she had just bought and put on earlier in the day. On the way down (no tumbling, just simple sliding down a conveniently long and safe slope), his hands are groping her everywhere, her dress goes all over... and they land at the bottom, with him still beneath her. Then she floats in the air (magical realism, of course) off into the night and a scene change. The next morning her mentally-afflicted brother senses something is wrong with her, and the narrator (the daughter of the girl) informs us that that was the night she was conceived, implying some sort of magical conception (the wording is very poetic), or, more realistically, a rape.

Edit: okay, maybe I paused the film and spoke too soon. The next scene when the girl talks about it, it seems more consensual. I'll stop writing and finish watching the movie :D

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » February 29th, 2020, 12:29 pm

First one that came to mind: Voldtekt (1971)

fori

Post by fori » February 29th, 2020, 12:36 pm

How complete do you want this to be? This is an extremely common theme/subject. It’d be impossible to have any sort of semi-complete list on this subject. The first thing coming to mind for me right now is https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/shenmi+fuqi/ which is a disturbing film about a husband orchestrating the rape of his wife on their honeymoon. Directed by female 5th Gen director Li Ziyu! But honestly there are probably hundreds or even thousands I can recall. There are whole genres & traditions of cinema dealing with this subject. What is the goal with this?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 29th, 2020, 12:47 pm

You might want to use Hollow Man as an example from our recent discussion, especially considering the reactions that you found when researching that scene online.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 29th, 2020, 1:34 pm

fori wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 12:36 pm
How complete do you want this to be? This is an extremely common theme/subject. It’d be impossible to have any sort of semi-complete list on this subject. The first thing coming to mind for me right now is https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/shenmi+fuqi/ which is a disturbing film about a husband orchestrating the rape of his wife on their honeymoon. Directed by female 5th Gen director Li Ziyu! But honestly there are probably hundreds or even thousands I can recall. There are whole genres & traditions of cinema dealing with this subject. What is the goal with this?
Well, i agree that a complete list is an impossible task and I don’t have an exact goal tbh, I’ve only been thinking about it for a week and it does feel pretty endless. For now I’m just trying to collate what I can to see what my best course of action is. Anything people here have actually seen is more useful for me to work with than trying to skim Wikipedia lists through.

I definitely want to explore rape/revenge and sexual assault as comedy (particularly in mainstream and children’s cinema/TV), films directed by women, and possibly ‘foreign’ films could also be useful, and trans/homophobia based incidents. When I have a more concrete idea I’ll update this thread...

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 29th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Like fori said, a very common subject. A few that came immediately to mind:

Sudden Impact
Ricochet
American History X
High Plains Drifter
Boy Erased
Tightrope
Kiss the Girls
Braveheart
The Cheat
Last edited by blocho on February 29th, 2020, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Young Frankenstein
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

albajos

Post by albajos » February 29th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Saving me from sexual assault or forced prostitutuon? Let's have sex as a reward

Deathstalker.
Skyfall

Quite different movies, but sex as a trophy is still there. The whole Deathstalker series are quite light in tone, but everyone rapes. Apparently it's the only thing barbarians know how to do.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 1st, 2020, 2:15 am

I notice this a lot... so I'm "happy" to post what I find/chat about it. Even happy to go so far as connecting you with my wife if you want to bounce thoughts/ideas off someone (among other things, the novel she's writing is about sexual assault) you don't really know but who knows about the topic.

[About to type a sentence I never thought I'd type...]

Anyway, here's my sexual-assault-focused sales pitch on which films of mine you should watch for the ICMFF programming:

I Am Jane Doe - like, sex trafficking and the aftermath (i.e., why Backpage got sued) is the focus of this doc.
Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press - this is about the aftermath of the non-consentual release of Hulk Hogan's sex tape. The doc is more focused on the free speech issues and money, but it's in the background.
Holiday - there's a very prominent rape scene in there... but a really unexpected handling of it.
The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson - I don't remember anything specific, just that sexual assault is usually discussed in docs like this, and I'm almost positive this one, too.

Also, since I just watched it...

The Virgin Spring (1960) and by extension Last House on the Left. The rape-death-family revenge is the entire plot line.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 1st, 2020, 3:43 am

@Ferg; any updates to that film?

@jvv; I've seen Voldekt but don't remember it now.. it does sound like a really good example though so I guess that's going on the rewatch list.

@sol; yea, I've included Hollow Man on the list and I think it's an interesting example as rape used to progress the rapist's character, rather than a focus on the victim.. and yeah, the troubling reactions to it are something I'd like to explore further.

@blocho; Seen a few of those (though only remember the assault in American History X), will watchlist the others.

@3eyes; don't remember that at all in Young Frankenstein (kinda crazy how forgettable some of these are, considering), but I read over the parental advisory on IMDb and ermm.. gross.

@albajos; Skyfall was briefly mentioned in the video I mentioned, but as an example of a gay/sexually ambiguous character being predatory. I don't remember the film all that well, but I'll look into it a bit more. Haven't seen Deathstalker, but yea I think any kind of medieval fantasy feels like it's incomplete without rape.

@max; a bit early in research stage yet, but I'd definitely appreciate bouncing ideas off your wife if she is willing. I've been talking about it non-stop with my boyfriend over the last week and I think he's already exhausted lol. I saw your post about I am Jane Doe and will definitely be checking that out. The others sound interesting too. And yep, got Virgin Spring and Last House on the Left on there; though the former really needs a rewatch. I feel like I'm going to be totally exhausted by rape and sexual assault films by the end of this..

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » March 1st, 2020, 5:51 am

I recently watched Les orgueilleux (1953), which had a brief yet strong attempted sexual assault. It was very brief moment but the intensity of the perpetrator and the girl that thwarts the attack and just a moment after how they were back to normal made that scene memorable for me.

Another remarkable film in this aspect I remember is Twentynine Palms. And of course, Irreversible is the obviously one of the first-to-go film in these topic.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 1st, 2020, 7:44 am

mightysparks wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 3:43 am
@Ferg; any updates to that film?

@jvv; I've seen Voldekt but don't remember it now.. it does sound like a really good example though so I guess that's going on the rewatch list.
Update on that filmShow
In the end I'd say there was just the sexual assault in the groping; the way the girl speaks about it later in the film, it sounds like it was more or less consensual in a "caught up in the moment" kind of way, though that in itself is suspect. And it's confirmed she was 17, so it would probably be statutory rape - later in the film another man is wooing her and finds out she's not yet 18 and thus stops, which makes me think there was some taboo about being with an underage girl. That being said, the pregnancy is the main plot driver of the film, and even if it was consensual it turns out to have been done by a man who earlier in the film is shown as a rapacious lech who cares only about his own desires.
Voldtekt is actually the Norwegian word for rape, so yes, it's a really good example ;)

Oh, and I haven't seen it, but I'm 99.99999999% sure there's plenty of prison rape to analyze in the TV series Oz.

Harco
Donator

Post by Harco » March 1st, 2020, 8:30 am

The I Spit on Your Grave remake and its sequels.

And: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_and_revenge_film

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 1st, 2020, 6:46 pm

mightysparks wrote:
@max; a bit early in research stage yet, but I'd definitely appreciate bouncing ideas off your wife if she is willing. I've been talking about it non-stop with my boyfriend over the last week and I think he's already exhausted lol. I saw your post about I am Jane Doe and will definitely be checking that out. The others sound interesting too. And yep, got Virgin Spring and Last House on the Left on there; though the former really needs a rewatch. I feel like I'm going to be totally exhausted by rape and sexual assault films by the end of this..
Wife's totally willing, so let me know when you're ready. :thumbsup:

albajos

Post by albajos » March 1st, 2020, 10:04 pm

mightysparks wrote:
@albajos; Skyfall was briefly mentioned in the video I mentioned, but as an example of a gay/sexually ambiguous character being predatory. I don't remember the film all that well, but I'll look into it a bit more.
It's not directly after rescue.

But they just had a talk about her childhood where she said she was forced into prostitution. So right after, James Bond's first thought is "I need to bang that". And just goes into her shower whitout asking.

But James Bond has always been a walking #metoo

Two examples is 5 and 6 on this list:

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » March 2nd, 2020, 12:55 pm

Poetry / Shi (S Korea 2010) - plot revolves around the aftermath of a teenage gang rape
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 2nd, 2020, 10:01 pm

Serpico (1973) had the scene where there was a woman about to get gang-raped before Serpico saved the day. This was followed by the police taking her statement RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RAPIST they caught.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 2nd, 2020, 10:35 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 10:01 pm
Serpico (1973) had the scene where there was a woman about to get gang-raped before Serpico saved the day. This was followed by the police taking her statement RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RAPIST they caught.
I see this in a lot of old movies. The police interview witnesses/victims when other people are in the room, and obviously that's poor interview technique because the presence of others can influence people. I wonder if it was common back then for the police to do this, or if the movies were getting it wrong back then.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 3rd, 2020, 3:34 am

blocho wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 10:35 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 10:01 pm
I see this in a lot of old movies. The police interview witnesses/victims when other people are in the room, and obviously that's poor interview technique because the presence of others can influence people. I wonder if it was common back then for the police to do this, or if the movies were getting it wrong back then.
I don't know either - I mean, I don't necessarily care nearly as much if they're quibbling over who shoplifted, but Jesus H. Christ... :circle:

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 3rd, 2020, 1:36 pm

I'll try to remember to post here if I see any films with this content that are not already on your google sheet... it's content that is unfortunately all too common, and I feel like I am numb to it to the extent that its' going to blend in with all the other feelings I have about a film but I'll try.

First one: Vice Squad (1982)

...for a movie about prostitution it's actually not as explicit as I was recalling (saw this when I was 11 years old on late night cable, sheesh), but there are scenes of assault, sexual and otherwise, against women.
Into the forest
Kiss the girls
Eta. Too prolific and too depressing, but on flipside, I guess there's exposure.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 6th, 2020, 6:33 pm

And in The Red Phallus, we have the main character being made fun of because she got raped.

dinah

Post by dinah » March 6th, 2020, 9:41 pm

O.K.
About a group of soldiers raping an underage female, based on real events in Vietnam. More in the spoiler below, click with caution.
SpoilerShow
The movie starts out more as a parody on the military, with plenty of laughs to be had, but the tone shifts dramatically around the halfway mark with the rape (and subsequent killing) of the girl. One of the soldiers, who told the others to leave the girl alone from the start but was physically forced to rape her as well, reports the incident to his superiors and is told that "what's done is done" and that punishing these men (thus officially admitting the incident took place) would only threaten their "peace-keeping mission." And surely, "the weight of their guilt would be punishment enough."

As per the director, a prospective US distributor at the time had wanted that scene to be removed, which I think is because with the scene removed it could be shrugged off as an "isolated incident" perpetrated by a few "bad apples," whereas with the scene intact it points to a larger, systemic problem of sexual abuse committed by members of the military upon the civilian civilization.

In the real-life incident, the soldiers actually went to the girl's village and entered her house with the express intent of raping her, whereas in the film she walks by their post and is consequentially questioned for "suspicious activities of espionage" and things snowball from there.

Camp X-Ray, starring Kristen Stewart, apparently also deals with sexual abuse in the military, but I haven't seen that one.

Angels Wear White
This is not as fresh in my mind as O.K., which I saw only recently, but from what I remember this is more concerned about the stigma of sexual abuse and the difficulties in seeking adequate help, though the story centers on a girl who witnessed the attack.

There is also a scene of male-on-male rape in Shinjuku Triad Society (and I wouldn't be surprised if there more in other Takashi Miike films).

Surprised that no one has mentioned 8MM yet, though that might leave the realm of sexual abuse for something decidedly more sinister altogether.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 7th, 2020, 12:12 am

Beauty and the Dogs was an acclaimed Tunisian film from a few years ago taking place over a single night during which a young woman tries repeatedly to report her rape to the authorities.

Similarly, one of the most acclaimed Netflix productions last year was the series Unbelievable, a true story about the aftermath of a rape that shows local police incompetence but also highly competent female specialists who come in to investigate the case and find it tied to a series of rapes.

The Marvel Netflix series Jessica Jones deals heavily with themes of rape, domestic violence and stalking, especially the first season. The protagonist is a rape victim of a villain named Kilgrave whose power is to be able to make anyone do what he wants by speaking to them.

All three seasons of Veronica Mars have rape as a major plot point. (I have not seen the film or the fourth season).

Unbelievable and Jessica Jones were both created by women and mostly written by women, and Beauty and the Dogs has a female director.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

fori

Post by fori » March 7th, 2020, 7:42 am

Seems like you didn’t include my suggestion “Mysterious Couple”? I’d also suggest the pink film genre, the majority of which have sexual assault or rape scenes, and almost all of which have references to the subject.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 8th, 2020, 8:11 am

fori wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 7:42 am
Seems like you didn’t include my suggestion “Mysterious Couple”? I’d also suggest the pink film genre, the majority of which have sexual assault or rape scenes, and almost all of which have references to the subject.
Hm, idk what happened there must've just closed the tab without adding it. I'll add it in a sec, and yea I'll look at pink films.