Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Vacillating over going out to the cinema

OldAle1
Donator

Vacillating over going out to the cinema

Post by OldAle1 » February 22nd, 2020, 6:27 pm

I suppose everybody does this - everybody who sees films at all regularly on the big screen that is. I certainly did it plenty when I lived in Chicago and had a myriad of choices, some a 5-minute drive, some a half-hour El ride. But now I live an hour away from the nearest interesting place to see films, the UW Cinematheque in Madison WI

https://cinema.wisc.edu/

and it seems every Friday-Sunday there's something at least *somewhat* interesting and half the time it puts me in that vacillation mode. I mean, I had to see Sátántangó and Varda by Agnès those were no-brainers, but much of the time it's stuff like today - 63Up at 2 pm followed by The Killing Floor at 7. The first an acclaimed new part to a doc series that I've just seen parts of many years ago - want to see it, but not really a huge doc guy like many here are, and it will no doubt be available elsewhere soon enough, and maybe I should just watch the whole series huh? The second a very obscure "American Playhouse" episode (3 check on ICM) that fits into one of the challenges this month, and directed by Bill Duke who made a couple of films I liked a lot back in the 90s.

But... an hour drive each way. 2 1/2 hours to spend between the films and downtown Madison on a Saturday night is swarming with students, any place you want to eat or drink will be packed, and while it's a little above average temp-wise for February, it's still kind of cold.

Fuck me I think I'm blowing it off; too many other films on the schedule I want to see more and I just feel lazy.

Anybody else experience this kind of thing really regularly, or do most of you (the cinema-goers that is) have more ironclad schedules and just fit things in and plan in advance?

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 22nd, 2020, 7:05 pm

As of now we still have 2 arthouses (one just closed) in what used to be easy walking distance; before multiple age issues stopped me going, the bargain matinee/senior rate was $7 (last movie I saw there: I am not your Negro). That doesn't include refreshments, transportation, parking, babysitting, etc.

I looked on JustWatch.com and found that most movies just out of theaters can be rented for $3-6. So I guess I could splurge if I wanted to.

So many choices of what to watch - so how important is big screen / going to the Big City? Depends on your mood?
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 22nd, 2020, 7:10 pm

Well for me it also has to do with it being literally the only time I see other humans on a regular basis - that's important. And I spent my formative cineaste years in Chicago seeing up to 300 films in the cinema per year and that passion still hasn't left me - it's just a lot more of a hassle now, and fewer choices. I suspect age is having a slight impact but it's not that significant yet compared to other factors. The money hasn't been an issue but it will be quite soon - I will really have to start thinking about budget almost immediately as a bunch of money I was counting on for this year isn't going to be appearing.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 22nd, 2020, 7:55 pm

Yeah it's always a balance between effort, cost + desire..

I average about once a week to cinema (+/- depending on time of year/available options). For me the most convenient time is shortly after work + it's quieter then too. I've got 3 decent cinemas + 2 multiplexes close to work. It's good for new films, not so much on rarities but there's a few retrospectives here and there.

I don't often plan far ahead but I'll look at the schedules each week. Most weeks there's like 1 thing that stands out, and a few things I'd watch, but wouldn't go out of the way for. One of the cinemas is a second run one that runs a few weeks behind release date, and that does put out its schedule further in advance, which is handy 'cause you can take note of the ones you'll have a 2nd chance to catch.

e.g. this week I want to catch Waves there, but there's only one showing that's at a time that particularly suits and I'll probably be vacillating too!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 22nd, 2020, 8:21 pm

Waves I would strongly recommend as a cinema experience - of course I tend to say that a lot but specifically for the way the
SpoilerShow
aspect ratio changes, which will have more impact on a really big screen
- spoiler if you don't like to know technical/cinematic stuff, no plot spoiler. Had a friend who was OBSESSIVE about every kind of spoiler - hated being told if a film was b/w or even what genre it was or really anything at all.

I rather wish I'd seen Midsommar in a theater even though I wasn't crazy about it, think the visuals and especially the sound would have had more impact. And that one did play nearby.

beavis

Post by beavis » February 24th, 2020, 6:06 am

I watch on average at least ten movies in cinema each month. And i will jump on my bike to go to EYE, which takes me a small hour, sometimes to see a movie i have on bluray in my collection... so no, i do not have that problem. It is not a lifestyle i'm completely proud of, but it makes me happy to do it...

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » February 24th, 2020, 8:40 am

The next somewhat good cinema is 20km away from me, so I almost never go to the cinema.