Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1978 (Results), Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Jul 30th)
Challenges: Run the Actor, Travel the World, Iran and Central Asia

iCMFF4: Programmer's Thread

AB537

Post by AB537 »

Does anyone have links for Martin Eden and/or Sunset with English subtitles?
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Watched Atlantics today. Interesting film though I wasn’t quite sure what the point was and felt I was missing something. And the very last scene just seemed dumb. The lead actress was very good, and I thought the music and visuals were beautiful. There was a genuine kind of sadness and longing in those shots of the sea and the ‘spooky’ music, but I didn’t find the romance parts that convincing. I mean,

Spoiler
teenage kid dies and comes back for the ‘love of his life’ who he seemed to barely know? Yeah he was really just a horny dead teenager who came back to finally get a piece of that ass before his soul went to rest. Just weird and not romantic as the film seems to want you to think
Anyway medium support from me because there were some cool things about it, just didn’t all come together entirely for me.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault »

Watched:
Synonyms (3) I strongly recommend it. I actually loved this film. The acting is amazing. The script is very unusual but works perfectly.

Bacurau (1) I recommended slightly. I was expecting a lot from this film, but it resembles a lot of other films. The only difference was the social inequality aspect of it. It straddles the line between funny and serious, but doesn't fit either completely.

Recommended:
Relic (2020) After Dawn/Independent (3) I strongly recommend it. It's actually a very good attempt at making a different type of horror film. It uses elements of traditional horror films but makes them more personal and thus scarier. There film is also a lot deeper than the superficial story. Only problem is that is from 2020, maybe it can wait.

Primos (2019) LGBTQ/Latam (2) I recommend it. The film itself is very basic. It has a story similar to other gay films (a young man with a religious family struggling to be gay), but they it all goes upside-down. As the name of the movie mentions it, this is a love story between cousins. Long lost and not very close cousins but cousins nonetheless. It is very low budget and a bit cliched at times, but the relationship and chemistry between the actors and a few other factors might be enough to give it a spot.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Watched:

Synonymes (2019)
I picked up on a couple of threads on ideas of masculinity in this which never really went anywhere, but otherwise I really couldn't work out what the point of this film was. The dialogue and characters seemed a bit stylised and purposely stilted, which I didn't like, and ultimately the whole film felt like a pointless waste of time. It was a total drag. The pervy photographer scene was kind of uncomfortably amusing. No support from me.

Zombi Child (2019)
There are some beautiful shots of the Haitian jungle and towns, and it's overall a pretty nice looking film. The music was interesting and it definitely seemed to be trying to build a moody and atmospheric film over a plot-based one, but I found it never really quite worked. I didn't find the schoolgirl drama stuff very interesting and the characters and plot lacked development. The acting is decent, but it's better when they're not talking. I feel like a more complete narrative OR less narrative and dialogue and better focused mood and deeper tackling of its themes would have made for a better film. The climax was silly and the ending didn't really answer any questions or ask any interesting ones. Low support from me.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

AB537

Post by AB537 »

mightysparks wrote: July 18th, 2020, 3:53 am Watched:

Synonymes (2019)
I picked up on a couple of threads on ideas of masculinity in this which never really went anywhere, but otherwise I really couldn't work out what the point of this film was. The dialogue and characters seemed a bit stylised and purposely stilted, which I didn't like, and ultimately the whole film felt like a pointless waste of time. It was a total drag. The pervy photographer scene was kind of uncomfortably amusing. No support from me.

Zombi Child (2019)
There are some beautiful shots of the Haitian jungle and towns, and it's overall a pretty nice looking film. The music was interesting and it definitely seemed to be trying to build a moody and atmospheric film over a plot-based one, but I found it never really quite worked. I didn't find the schoolgirl drama stuff very interesting and the characters and plot lacked development. The acting is decent, but it's better when they're not talking. I feel like a more complete narrative OR less narrative and dialogue and better focused mood and deeper tackling of its themes would have made for a better film. The climax was silly and the ending didn't really answer any questions or ask any interesting ones. Low support from me.
As it happens, I've watched the same two films in the last week or so. Generally agree with your comments, although my views are probably marginally more favourable to both and that's reflected by my scores being one point higher in each case.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Watched:

Domino (2019)
It's almost unbelievable that a film this poorly made is still getting made these days. It really is something awful. The score is completely unsuitable and overbearing whenever it's played, including for practically the first 30 minutes straight. It was so distracting. Despite a pretty strong cast, the acting is terrible from everyone with many laughable scenes. The script sucks, the editing sucks, there's no tension at all. The story is quite weak but it could've been an ok action thriller if it hadn't been so badly made. It did improve slightly after the first 30 minutes when the music finally stops, but it's never good by any means. No support from me.

Jallikattu (2019)
Unlike the previous film, there is some wonderful filmmaking here. The film is beautiful, the rhythmic score is atmospheric and effective, the editing is great. However, I didn't really love the film. The first ten minutes were really strong and I loved all the montage stuff. But while everything happening on screen is chaotic, I never 'felt' the chaos or the tension and couldn't get pulled into its world and it dragged a lot at times. I thought it could've been an amazing short film, but there wasn't enough 'plot' to keep it going for that long -- I did like the glimpses into the village and people's lives rather than overdoing it like 'typical mainstream trash' American film would've done, but all the little threads didn't all come together for me. All the violence towards the buffalo was sad as well :( Though I didn't love this film, it had a lot of great aspects and was a very good film. Medium support from me.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I've been sidetracked from this due to the Canadian challenge this month, but I've seen a couple of films that I'll throw some support behind.

The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson (2017) didn't quite deliver what I was hoping/expecting, but it was still a decent film.
The Dead the Others (2018) I caught on Mubi just now without realizing it was nominated until I saw beavis had checked it. A tad long and I felt it lost its way a few times, but overall quite good and an important showcase of indigenous Brazilian culture.

I give both films a 2.

I should be able to catch a half dozen more next month.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Fergenaprido wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm I've been sidetracked from this due to the Canadian challenge this month, but I've seen a couple of films that I'll throw some support behind.

The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson (2017) didn't quite deliver what I was hoping/expecting, but it was still a decent film.
The Dead the Others (2018) I caught on Mubi just now without realizing it was nominated until I saw beavis had checked it. A tad long and I felt it lost its way a few times, but overall quite good and an important showcase of indigenous Brazilian culture.

I give both films a 2.

I should be able to catch a half dozen more next month.
Thanks for flagging that The Death and the Others is on MUBI, will try to check that one out. Haven't been as focused on challenges as usual this month, so hopefully will at least hit the minimum quota by end of month.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

If I'd realized I would have posted earlier, but I usually watch the Mubi films on the last day they're available for me.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

No worries, it was the last day for me as well. But it might still be available with their "Library" feature, I haven't really tried that yet.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Catching up with some I watched a while ago:

Boze Cialo (2019)
This was a nice film, following an ex-convict out on parole lying his way into accidentally becoming a priest for a small town. Nothing was particularly bad about it, but nothing was that special either. The plot was generally predictable, though the journey was decently entertaining. I wasn't really sure what it was trying to tell me, perhaps because I'm not at all religious, but also I don't think it really captured the importance of faith and religion for these people. Reading about the context afterwards was much more interesting (apparently in Poland there are many people pretending to be priests because of the status). Medium support from me.

La Llorona (2019)
The first third of this film was quite tense. The fairly static testimony scene, and all the opening court scenes, were tense and really effective. It effectively captured the feeling of this distant and confused family trying to accept the crimes of their past. The continuous sound of the riots outside the family home creates a feeling of claustrophobia and isolation and helps build the feeling of a nightmare. There are some pretty interesting ideas of historical and personal trauma, with the dream scenes being quite interesting and terrifying. However, when the film starts to enter the supernatural it starts to fall apart. While all the other actors are quite good, the actress playing the maid is terrible and is not in the least 'creepy'. Her character isn't really used that well and the ending, which is good in theory, just falls flat and is ultimately anticlimactic. Medium support from me.

Diqiu zuihou de yewan (2018)
The opening scene should be enough to give you a sense of how this film is going to be and whether or not you'll be into it. It is stagey and stilted from the beginning and never lets up. The stylized dialogue is cringey and irritating. The 'story' is never interesting and nothing ever comes together. It tries to be light on narrative, but does not focus its efforts anywhere else and is just a frustratingly dull experience as nothing ever comes together. The music is occasionally nice, but often does not fit the scene or is just plain overbearing and distracting. The occasional shot is nice to look at or is impressive in its creation, but offers nothing to the film experience. A pointless waste of film. No support from me.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault »

I watched:
Treasure Island. Really interesting documentary that shows an important part of Summer for youth. The freedom of the style and characters were interesting. My only drawback was towards the end the director decided to change the narrative a bit. Medium Support.

La Llorona. I really loved this film. It was atmospheric, suspenseful. The acting was very solid. It made you hate some and cheer others. The horrible thing is that it is based on true stories. My only thing is that at times it felt slow and going nowhere. Medium Support
PGonzalez

Post by PGonzalez »

I haven't been updating here, but over these last few weeks I watched:

Bacurau: Was able to see it at a theater, and what a riveting experience it was. Still, this doesn't really seem like the kind of film that this festival should be highlighting, since it already had quite a lot of exposure. I gave it a 3 based on the strength of the film, but I wouldn't feel very comfortable with programming this.

Little Joe: I really vibed with Hausner's approach, translating the Body Snatcher-y coldness to the camerawork as well as the characters. The uneasiness that permeated the film was almost palpable, and despite some gripes with the way relationships were explored, this is a fine 2 for me.

McQueen: Difficult to evaluate, as most of these talking heads documentaries are. The film is immensely engrossing because McQueen was himself an extremely engrossing person; still, the inability to use a fine Michael Nyman score for anything other than cheap sentimentality, the lack of more in-depth show screen-time (with the exceptions of Voss and Plato's Atlantis, arguably his two most famous) and an exploitative fifth tape which really brought the rest of the film down a few pegs, this doesn't get more than a 1 from me.

Sunset: A masterpiece through and through. Easily my favorite film from the entire list (alongside Vitalina Varela and maybe A Vida Invisível) and a film with that rare ability of being both formally and narratively daring, and absolutely nailing everything it sets out to do. I was very disappointed that I wasn't able to catch it during its short cinema run, and I'm really looking forward to rewatching this if my local Cinémathèque ever decides to screen it.

I'm going to watch a few more before the deadline, but I'm having trouble finding the one that I most wanted to watch (Martin Eden, which unfortunately was recently showing at a local theater while I was away). I'll try to see a few others that are still bellow the QUALIFY threshold.
PGonzalez

Post by PGonzalez »

Also, I just noticed while going through the list: isn't there a huge absence of animation films?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

PGonzalez wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 5:44 pm Also, I just noticed while going through the list: isn't there a huge absence of animation films?
Yes. Feel free to suggest additional animated films you've seen or plan to see :)
beavis

Post by beavis »

OK, our 6 month watching period is over, let's see where we stand!

I only watched 2 movies that are in our spreadsheet (both full support for A Colony and School's Out) and 10 from my Letterboxd lists of possible candidates since my last post. Other things got in the way, and I had already seen a lot. I am still going to watch In Search of Fellini, Museo, Zombi Child and 37 Seconds regardless if they are going to help us fill categories or not, as I really want to watch them (now they've been on my watchlists for two months already... ;) )

Looking at the spreadsheet, we only have 35 titles that qualify for inclusion in the programme:

Long Day's Journey into Night (Diqiu zuihou de yewan)
Ruben Brandt, Collector
La Llorona
Bacurau
Vitalina Varela
Jallikattu
Atlantics (Atlantique)
Mommy Dead and Dearest
Holiday
I Think We're Alone Now
Synonyms (Synonymes)
Treasure Island (L'Île au Trésor)
The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson
Corpus Christi (Boze Cialo)
Birds of Passage (Pájaros de verano)
Faces Places (Visages villages)
Zombi Child
The Heiresses (Las herederas)
In Fabric
Alice T.
Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun?
A Colony (Une colonie)
School's Out (L'heure de la sortie)
Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings (Di Renjie zhi Sidatianwang)
Sunset (Napszállta)
Invisible Life (A Vida Invisível de Eurídice Gusmão)
Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press
Little Joe
The Dead and the Others (Chuva É Cantoria Na Aldeia Dos Mortos)
Mercury 13
I am Jane Doe
Bliss
Loro
Museum (Museo)
Giant Little Ones

Bacurau and Faces Places are slightly above the imdb-vote treshold
Looking at the sections the films were marked for in the spreadsheet we have:
1 animation
9 arthouse
9 dawn
8 doc
4 LGBTQ
6 Indie
11 Euro
5 AsAf
6 LatAm

Taking a "mainslate" roster of 10 movies away from that, there is still a HELL of a lot more that needs full support if we're going to fill any section
so...
How is everyone doing? ;)
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I'm likely not going to be able to watch much more any time soon, although there are still a few I want to try and squeeze in. I wonder if it might be better to extend the festival until next year due to the unexpected events of this year.. We could even maybe do a mini-festival, like a smaller mainslate and fewer and smaller other sections.

beavis

Post by beavis »

it's not thAt hopeless ;)

if we move the one animation to mainslate for instance, the numbers for each remaining section tell me that A programme is already possible... but before thinking of those kind of solutions I wanted to hear more input on our current harvest. There are some vEry recent titles in there (the Polish one still needs to hit my local cinema for instance) that we might want to skip over and so forth... so we should really use this month to coordinate our efforts and look into specific titles to watch!

hope to hear from all programmers soonish

EDIT!! I wrote this earlier "the numbers for each remaining section tell me that A programme is already possible.." but I wasn't thinking about that a lot of films qualify for multiple sections, so that statement is wrong, we probably need to find extra candidates for each section still!! (it was early... and I had to race for work ;))
Last edited by beavis on September 2nd, 2020, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks for the recap beavis. Glad you enjoyed A Colony and School's Out.

I just gave Atlantics a 2. Saw it a few days ago, and I liked it enough to support it.

Since we need more animation titles to consider, I've added Tropical Virus [Virus tropical] (2017) to the spreadsheet. Saw it on Mubi a few months ago and quite liked it. It's an adult-oriented animation that's drawn comparisons to Persepolis (but I think that's a weak comparison at best). It could also go in the Latin American slate. I also give it a 2.

I haven't been too motivated to see a lot of the other mentioned films, unfortunately. I'll put more effort into watching films that need more support so that we can flesh the slates out. I'll see if I can find The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales since it's animated as well. Most of the other films I'd planned to see already have enough support, so I'll deprioritize them. I keep putting off El ángel, but I can force myself to watch it if we need more Latin films to consider.

Do we want to start trying to creating the slates, or hold off for a few more weeks so people can catch some more films?
beavis

Post by beavis »

I think we need a few days to recap for ourselves and as a group, and then really coordinate viewing efforts. I will seek out films personally too, like I said, but to shape the programme I think it is best to plan our efforts here around specific titles... no need or time for another month of random viewing!
beavis

Post by beavis »

Fergenaprido wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 6:51 am Since we need more animation titles to consider, I've added Tropical Virus [Virus tropical] (2017) to the spreadsheet. Saw it on Mubi a few months ago and quite liked it. It's an adult-oriented animation that's drawn comparisons to Persepolis (but I think that's a weak comparison at best). It could also go in the Latin American slate. I also give it a 2.
A valiant effort to keep the animation section afloat! I hope along with you that we can get this one to remain again.
The spreadsheet gives us the following info on our animated selection so far:

Title Year QUALIFY
Ruben Brandt, Collector 2018 11
Ana y Bruno 2017 3
Captain Morten and the Spider Queen 2018 3
Have a Nice Day (Hao ji le) 2017 2
Tropical Virus (Virus tropical) 2017 2
Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles 2018 2
Tehran Taboo (Teheran Tabu) 2017 2
The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales (Le grand méchant renard et autres contes...) 2017 2

Ruben Brandt is selected
Tehran Taboo has two weak votes, should not be looked further into

Ana y Bruno and Captain Morten and the Spider Queen will qualify with one more 2 or 3 vote. So those should get priority
The remaining titles can also easily make it if they get an additional 3 vote, or at least two votes of 2 or 3.

Personally I have acces to and interest in Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles and will put that on my watchlist now. I will look into the two priority titles too, hope I can find them.
If we come up with additional animated titles, it would be best to ask here first if there already is an interest for them. I haven't watched much further animation (I really liked) recently, so can't do any new suggestions myself. If I have seen a title that any of you are going to suggest, I will give support, unless I really hated it (and I seldom hate animation even if I didn't love it).
beavis

Post by beavis »

Fergenaprido wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 6:51 am Do we want to start trying to creating the slates, or hold off for a few more weeks so people can catch some more films?
Let me copy-paste our timeline from the opening posts in this thread as a reminder of where we are in the grand scheme of things ;)

- so from now/March until the end of August we watch and talk movies here, keeping score in the spreadsheat
- then we'll take a closer look at where we stand and take the month of September to complete a final list of candidates that should cover all sections
- at the end of September I'll open a jury invitation thread and hand them the list we have created here
- they will have the month of October to sign up and together pick their main slate selections
- at the beginning of November the programmers than will make the rest of the programme final, so I can make the announcement threads for each section of the festival
- I will post those ASAP and at least a week before the start of the festival, trying to promote it on the forum as much as possible
- I propose the festival to be held this year in the four weeks from monday 16 November untill monday 14 December
sacmersault

Post by sacmersault »

beavis wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 10:25 am
Fergenaprido wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 6:51 am Since we need more animation titles to consider, I've added Tropical Virus [Virus tropical] (2017) to the spreadsheet. Saw it on Mubi a few months ago and quite liked it. It's an adult-oriented animation that's drawn comparisons to Persepolis (but I think that's a weak comparison at best). It could also go in the Latin American slate. I also give it a 2.
A valiant effort to keep the animation section afloat! I hope along with you that we can get this one to remain again.
The spreadsheet gives us the following info on our animated selection so far:

Title Year QUALIFY
Ruben Brandt, Collector 2018 11
Ana y Bruno 2017 3
Captain Morten and the Spider Queen 2018 3
Have a Nice Day (Hao ji le) 2017 2
Tropical Virus (Virus tropical) 2017 2
Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles 2018 2
Tehran Taboo (Teheran Tabu) 2017 2
The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales (Le grand méchant renard et autres contes...) 2017 2

Ruben Brandt is selected
Tehran Taboo has two weak votes, should not be looked further into

Ana y Bruno and Captain Morten and the Spider Queen will qualify with one more 2 or 3 vote. So those should get priority
The remaining titles can also easily make it if they get an additional 3 vote, or at least two votes of 2 or 3.

Personally I have acces to and interest in Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles and will put that on my watchlist now. I will look into the two priority titles too, hope I can find them.
If we come up with additional animated titles, it would be best to ask here first if there already is an interest for them. I haven't watched much further animation (I really liked) recently, so can't do any new suggestions myself. If I have seen a title that any of you are going to suggest, I will give support, unless I really hated it (and I seldom hate animation even if I didn't love it).
I can Watch Tropical Virus; I've been wanting to see it anyway. And I'll look to see if I can find Have a Nice Day.

If I know of other good animations I could post them here and see if someone else wants to watch it.

For example,
MFKZ (2017) While the story isn't the best, the animations is crazy good. It is definitively worth including it in the slate. Hopefully someone else wants to watch it.
PGonzalez

Post by PGonzalez »

Fergenaprido wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 8:54 am Yes. Feel free to suggest additional animated films you've seen or plan to see :)
I hadn't seen your reply before! I have a few I was planning to see (Louise en Hiver, Le Voyage du Prince, La Jeune Fille sans Mains and Rocks in my Pockets) but I haven't been able to find them yet.

Just to be sure, qualification is for films with 5+ "points"?
sacmersault

Post by sacmersault »

PGonzalez wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 11:15 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 8:54 am Yes. Feel free to suggest additional animated films you've seen or plan to see :)
I hadn't seen your reply before! I have a few I was planning to see (Louise en Hiver, Le Voyage du Prince, La Jeune Fille sans Mains and Rocks in my Pockets) but I haven't been able to find them yet.

Just to be sure, qualification is for films with 5+ "points"?
I saw La Jeune Fille sans Mains. If you put it in the worksheet, I'll rate it. I didn't like it much though.
beavis

Post by beavis »

La Jeune Fille sans Mains was already incuded in ICMFF3, don't forget to check that, links to the ICM lists of previous festivals are included in the first post
beavis

Post by beavis »

PGonzalez wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 11:15 pm [Just to be sure, qualification is for films with 5+ "points"?
I guess two 2 votes, so a four, could also be enough to qualify. There are no rules written in stone for this, that is why i ask people for their input, their view, we are shaping this together.

Personally i'd like it if at least one nominator gives the full support, so a 3...so then there would be that minimum number of 5 needed to qualify, where i was working with yesterday.
sacmersault

Post by sacmersault »

Given the low voting on animation films, I would be ok with giving a 3 to Ana y Bruno
beavis

Post by beavis »

sacmersault wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 7:15 am Given the low voting on animation films, I would be ok with giving a 3 to Ana y Bruno
that was your vote already, right?
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Should I try and focus on films with 2 decent votes that are close to qualifying?

If so I guess it would be these films:
Araby (Arábia) 2017
Non-Fiction (Doubles vies) 2018
Shuttle Life (Fen bei ren sheng) 2017

I'm only really interested in Araby. I could up my rating to Luz for a 3 because I'd really like to see that one in Dawn. Also I was thinking of nominating Hagazussa if not too late, the two would make interesting companion pieces as 'student' films. Anything else I should prioritize? Films people gave a 3 to? And I was ignoring the films under the totals because I didn't understand what they were but are they up for grabs too?

beavis

Post by beavis »

Hagazussa is one I have on bluray and am interested in, so that would be cool

We should indeed prioritise, but to do that efficiently I think we should make an inventory for each section like I did for animation above. I am really busy at work and with personal matters at the moment, so I had hoped not all the work and initiative would be only on me ;) So, make those first if you like. I can try to make some time in the coming days if you or somebody else didn't already do it.

My feeling says Dawn might already be sufficiently filled... LatAm is always difficult, so Araby would be a good one to check out. I think you might like that one.

The section below was indeed largely to be ignored, but we are now in a phase that every title mentioned and voted on counts ;)
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Here's a breakdown of all qualifying (5+) films that have been marked in each category:

Arthouse
Atlantics (Atlantique) 2019 (Asia+Africa)
Vitalina Varela 2019 (Europe)
Birds of Passage (Pájaros de verano) 2018 (Latin America)
Corpus Christi (Boze Cialo) 2019 (Europe)
Holiday 2018 (Dawn, Europe)
Synonyms (Synonymes) 2019 (Asia+Africa)
Sunset (Napszállta) 2018 (Europe)
Zombi Child 2019 (Europe)
The Dead and the Others (Chuva É Cantoria Na Aldeia Dos Mortos) 2018 (Latin America)

Asia+Africa
Long Day's Journey into Night (Diqiu zuihou de yewan) 2018 (Dawn)
Atlantics (Atlantique) 2019 (Arthouse)
Jallikattu 2019 (Dawn)
Synonyms (Synonymes) 2019 (Arthouse)
Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings (Di Renjie zhi Sidatianwang) 2018 (Dawn)

Documentary
Mommy Dead and Dearest 2017
Faces Places (Visages villages) 2017 (Europe) -- too many votes
The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson 2017 (LGBT)
Treasure Island (L'Île au Trésor) 2018 (Europe)
Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun? 2017 (English-language independent)
I am Jane Doe 2017
Mercury 13 2018 (English-language independent)
Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press 2017

Dawn
Long Day's Journey into Night (Diqiu zuihou de yewan) 2018 (Asia + Africa) -- not sure how this is dawn??
Bacurau 2019 (Latin America) -- too many votes
La Llorona 2019 (Latin America)
Jallikattu 2019 (Asia + Africa)
Holiday 2018 (Arthouse, Europe)
Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings (Di Renjie zhi Sidatianwang) 2018 (Asia + Africa)
In Fabric 2018 (English-language independent)
Bliss 2019
Little Joe 2019 (English-language independent)

Europe
Ruben Brandt, Collector 2018 (Animation)
Vitalina Varela 2019 (Arthouse)
Corpus Christi (Boze Cialo) 2019 (Arthouse)
Faces Places (Visages villages) 2017 (Doc) -- too many votes
Holiday 2018 (Arthouse, Dawn)
Treasure Island (L'Île au Trésor) 2018 (Doc)
Alice T. 2018
School's Out (L'heure de la sortie) 2018 (LGBT)
Sunset (Napszállta) 2018 (Arthouse)
Zombi Child 2019 (Arthouse)
Loro 2018

English-language Independent
I Think We're Alone Now 2018
Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun? 2017 (Doc)
In Fabric 2018 (Dawn)
Giant Little Ones 2018 (LGBT)
Little Joe 2019 (Dawn)
Mercury 13 2018 (Doc)

Latin America
Bacurau 2019 (Dawn) -- too many votes
La Llorona 2019 (Dawn)
Birds of Passage (Pájaros de verano) 2018 (Arthouse)
Invisible Life (A Vida Invisível de Eurídice Gusmão) 2019
Museum (Museo) 2018
The Dead and the Others (Chuva É Cantoria Na Aldeia Dos Mortos) 2018 (Arthouse)

LGBT
The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson 2017 (Doc)
School's Out (L'heure de la sortie) 2018 (Europe)
Giant Little Ones 2018 (English-language independent)

LGBT definitely needs a few more nominations. I'll try and watch Beach Rats and Casa Roshell since I am most interested in those. English independents seems to need a few more too, and maybe Arthouse/Asia + Africa.

beavis

Post by beavis »

nice! good work
I have Beach Rats on DVD and have been meaning to check it out, that's another one we can both watch this month!

I'll look into things more closely later, hopefully tonight. I think I have some more good suggestions for AsAf
...On first glance it seems Arthouse, Doc and Europe have enough options even if some of the titles end up in other sections
Although I think previously there was a push to make arthouse as experimental and avant-garde as possible, there is a great lack in those kind of titles, but I think I am the only programmer on the current roster who likes those kind of movies ;)
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

And these are the films currently sitting at 3 or 4 points for each category (mostly films which one programmer gave their strongest support to or two people gave medium support to), with the 'ignored list' under the line:

Arthouse
McQueen 2018
A Russian Youth (Malchik russkiy) 2019
Casa Roshell 2017
Classical Period 2018
Firefly (Jonaki) 2018
Ghost Town Anthology (Répertoire des villes disparues) 2019
Jeanne 2019
Martin Eden 2019
The Eternals 2017
---------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday Wonder I Was (Ayer Maravilla Fui) 2017
Drift 2017
Inner Court (Foro Íntimo) 2017
Somniloquies 2017

Asia+Africa
Shuttle Life (Fen bei ren sheng) 2017
37 Seconds (37 sekanzu) 2019
A Man of Integrity (Lerd) 2017
Close-Knit (Karera ga honki de amu toki wa,) 2017
Firefly (Jonaki) 2018
Hatsukoi 2019
Jinpa (Zhuang si le yi zhi yang) 2018
Keteke 2017
M 2018
Radiance (Hikari) 2017
Suleiman Mountain (Sulayman too) 2017
The Eternals 2017
The Seen and the Unseen (Sekala Niskala) 2017

Documentary
McQueen 2018
Birth of a Movement 2017
Bruce Lee and the Outlaw 2018
Casa Roshell 2017
Devil's Freedom (La libertad del Diablo) 2017
Half the Picture 2018
I Am Another You 2017
M 2018
No Intenso Agora 2017
The Eternals 2017
Rush Hour 2018
Somniloquies 2017

Dawn
Deerskin (Le daim) 2019
Luz 2018
Based on a True Story (D'Aprés une Histoire Vraie) 2017
Braid 2018
Charlie and Hannah's Grand Night Out (Charlie en Hannah gaan uit) 2017
Fast Color 2018
Hatsukoi 2019
MFKZ 2017
Realive 2017
Spoor (Pokot) 2017
The Night Eats the World (La nuit a devore le monde) 2018

Europe
Deerskin (Le daim) 2019
Luz 2018
Non-Fiction (Doubles vies) 2018
A Russian Youth (Malchik russkiy) 2019
Amanda 2018
Back to Burgundy (Ce qui nous lie) 2017
Bruce Lee and the Outlaw 2018
Charlie and Hannah's Grand Night Out (Charlie en Hannah gaan uit) 2017
In Syria (Insyriated) 2017
Jeanne 2019
M 2018
Mario 2018
Martin Eden 2019
Pity (Oiktos) 2018
Sarah Plays a Werewolf (Sarah joue un loup garou) 2017
The Invisibles (Les invisibles) 2018
The Shiny Shrimps (Les crevettes pailletées) 2019
What a Country! (Koja je ovo drzava!) 2018
3 Days in Quiberon (3 Tage in Quiberon) 2018
Drift 2017
In the Aisles (In den Gängen) 2018
Jupiter's Moon (Jupiter holdja) 2017
Lover for a Day (L'amant d'un jour) 2017
Spoor (Pokot) 2017
The Night Eats the World (La nuit a devore le monde) 2018

English-language Independent
Beach Rats 2017
Classical Period 2018
Golden Exits 2017

Latin America
Araby (Arábia) 2017
Café com Canela 2017
Casa Roshell 2017
Devil's Freedom (La libertad del Diablo) 2017
My Best Friend (Mi mejor amigo) 2018
No Intenso Agora 2017
El Ángel 2018
Ana y Bruno 2017
Inner Court (Foro Íntimo) 2017
Rush Hour 2018

LGBT
Beach Rats 2017
Casa Roshell 2017
Close-Knit (Karera ga honki de amu toki wa,) 2017
M 2018
Mario 2018
My Best Friend (Mi mejor amigo) 2018
The Shiny Shrimps (Les crevettes pailletées) 2019
El Ángel 2018

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

(For now) based on this I'll try to prioritize:

Araby (Arábia) 2017 (Latin America)
Shuttle Life (Fen bei ren sheng) 2017 (Asia+Africa)
Beach Rats 2017 (Independent, LGBT)
Casa Roshell 2017 (Arthouse, Doc, LGBT)
Jinpa (Zhuang si le yi zhi yang) 2018 (Asia+Africa)
Martin Eden 2019 (Arthouse, Europe)
Firefly (Jonaki) 2018 (Arthouse, Asia+Africa)
Radiance (Hikari) 2017(Asia+Africa)
Hatsukoi 2019 (Asia+Africa)
A Russian Youth (Malchik russkiy) 2019 (Arthouse, Europe)
Café com Canela 2017 (Latin America)

I don't have a lot of free time until mid-November (pretty sure my semester ends just as the festival starts :) ) but I'll try to make time for as many of these as I can this month.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

The films underneath the totals are leftover nominations from last year that haven't been championed yet this year. Some were already bumped up at the start of programming, but I left the rest there for people to consider in case we needed to flesh out more.

I've seen most of the LGBT films in the list already, so it'd be good to get some opinions from others.

I can probably nominate a few more English Indies or Latin films... let me look through my list of recently seen films and see if anything fits the bill.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Okay, here are some films I've seen that I could nominate. Most were via Mubi, though, so availability may be an issue. I'd been saving them for next year since they'd still be eligible then.

Africa & Asia
3 The Orphanage (2019) (Afghanistan)
3 The Day After I'm Gone (2019) (Israel)

Latin America
2 On the Starting Line (2019) (Cuba) (also doc)
3 Cassandro, the Exotico! (2018) (France/Mexico/USA) (also doc) (also lgbt) - technically a French film, but the subject matter is Mexican
3 Indianara (2019) (Brazil) (also doc) (also lgbt)
3 The Blond One (2019) (Argentina) (also lgbt)
3 Waiting for the Carnival (2019) (Brazil) (also doc)
3 The Fever (2019) (Brazil)

English Independent
3 Ghost Town Anthology (2019) - Quebecois film, so technically French-language independent, like A Colony

If anyone else has seen them and would support them, or is interested in seeing them, I can add them to the spreadsheet. I also have a bunch of new Euro film I could add, but I think we've got enough of those for this year.
beavis

Post by beavis »

I'm again at work, so only able to do some quick things in between... ;)
I've made a list of new options from everything I've seen that should qualify and that I have seen available online. Luckily in the past few months a lot more stuff has become available, so there many are things in this list I haven't promoted before!

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/ff4- ... ns/beavis/

for Africa there is the "acid western" Zerzura and the very weird instant cult of Jesus Shows You the Way to the Highway (from the director of Crumbs that was featured in the ICMFF before!). The last one could certainly also fit in Dawn

for Asia I was very happy to see that the little talked about Hong Kong movie In Your Dreams is to be found online. Dead Horse Nebula is from Turkey, Village Rockstars from India and finally The Limit of Sleeping Beauty from Japan could all be nice to consider. Hopefully some of you have already seen them?

I am not very well versed in documentary, usually they are the only movies on the roster I haven't seen. But I do have something to recommend there too, among them a few critical favorites. Bixa Travesty (also a very good fit for LGBT and for LatAm, sections in more need of extra options), last years festival darling Heimat ist ein Raum aus Zeit, Colectiv (one of the most impressive stories I have seen a doc about in recent years, I name dropped it already in the beginning of this topic thread), La cordillère des songes another acclaimed one and finally McQueen about the fashion designer.

... and now my time is up again :)
I hope I haven't mentioned anything already on the spreadsheet or featured in previous festivals...
more later!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I thought Bixa Travesty was already in the list for some reason. I've seen it, and I could support it with a 2. Very provocative.

The only other one I've seen from your new list is Mass for Shut-Ins. Not a fan, I'd give it a 0 or 1.
I missed Las hijas del fuego when it was on Mubi - it just didn't seem terribly interesting (and wasn't yet official since the CT 2010s list hadn't been adopted yet) so I decided to skip it.
Nothing else jumps out at me except McQueen; maybe I'll seek it out.
I've seen the director of Zerzura's first film and liked it well enough, maybe I'll give it a shot. I have no idea what "acid western" means, though.
beavis

Post by beavis »

mightysparks wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 11:59 amI could up my rating to Luz for a 3 because I'd really like to see that one in Dawn.
I agree with you and adjusted your score in the spreadsheet

EDIT: regarding my vote for Araby, I could also upgrade it from a 2 to a 3 so it already qualifies... objectively it is a 2 for me, but I also think it will be a very good entry for the festival. As it was the only one that really had your interest I will leave it for now, but if you didn't get around to it before the end of the month I think I'll adjust it.
What do the others think about adjusting initial scores to push for qualification? refrain from doing it if it is not necessary or let each one do what feels right for them?
Last edited by beavis on September 5th, 2020, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.