Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

iCMFF4: Programmer's Thread

Fergenaprido
Donator

Re: iCMFF4: Programmer's Thread

Post by Fergenaprido » June 12th, 2020, 9:52 am

Funny you posted now. I've been meaning to post for a few weeks, and just spent the last hour or so updating the spreadsheet. Synchronicity :D

(But I'm glad to see so many of my recommendations on your 'to watch' list)

I just updated the spreadsheet so that every film has the correct imdb and icm links, as well as updating the number of imdb votes as of today (June 12). A few films are now above 10,000 votes, most notably Bacurau (13,828) and Vivarium (20,010), but given the dearth of options thus far we can decide later on whether or not we want to exclude them from consideration.

Looking at the different slates, our Animation section is the weakest with less than 5 films mentioned so far (though there are a number of holdovers from last year, so maybe those are worth checking out). Additionally, I think we need to search for a few more Arthouse, Indie, LGBTQ+, and Latin American films to beef things up (it would be nice to have at least 10 films in each category to choose from).

I haven't seen much since my last update, as I was focusing on DTC and other polls, but now's a great time with the 2010s poll coming up this month.

I did see The Eternals unintentionally thanks to Mubi. I'm going to start with The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson this weekend, and try to watch at least one icmff film each week.

Oh, and I added We, the Dead (Aqérat) (2017) by Edmund Yeo to the list, as it qualifies for both Arthouse and Asia-Africa.

And since we need to add a few more films from some categories, I'm going to add a few 2018 and 2019 films that I've seen recently.
3 - Bruce Lee and the Outlaw (2018) - doc/euro
3 - Beach Rats (2017) - lgbt/indie - has over 10,000 votes but I'm adding it for now since we need more films in those two categories
3 - My Best Friend (Mi mejor amigo) (2018) - lgbt/latin
2 - Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden) (2018) - lgbt/euro
3 - Ghost Town Anthology (Répertoire des villes disparues) (2019) - arthouse/quebec indie
3 - A Russian Youth (Malchik russkiy) (2019) - arthouse/euro

(The last two might not be hardcore arthouse, so feel free to remove the label if you disagree)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 12th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Honestly, my motivation and priorities have shifted, so I'm not going to be able to do much for this. Apologies.

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 13th, 2020, 1:43 am

I just became aware of this thread. The project intrigues me, although like some others I'm often a few years behind in watching new things that are a bit off the beaten path, so am probably not in a position to contribute much in the way of new suggestions. The few I have that are worth nominating have, for the most part, appeared at major film festivals. That said, I could likely manage to watch at least 6 of others' nominees in July and August in between challenges etc.

Is there more involved in being a "programmer" than nominating some eligible titles and committing to watching at least 6 of others' nominees, presumably those I haven't already seen? Are programmers also jurors?

I assume films that have appeared in previous ICMFFs are ineligible. Are there any other eligibility restrictions, e.g. TSPDT films, 2020 DtC nominees etc.?

Of the nominated films listed in this thread, I've seen a couple and am definitely interested in watching several others. As it happens, I was at the world premiere of Jallikattu last September (at the Toronto film festival - and loved it. Unique, exciting and visually stunning.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sure I understand what's involved in this.
Last edited by AB537 on June 13th, 2020, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 13th, 2020, 2:45 am

If you guys need me, I can come back as a programmer

beavis

Post by beavis » June 13th, 2020, 6:16 am

AB537 and sacmersault, you're very much needed! :) Even then it all still feels very uncertain to me at the moment, but I have a hard time getting motivated in general the past few weeks, so that's just on me. For now let's just go ahead and see how the programme comes together. Fergenaprido made some good suggestions of areas to flesh out with some priority, but also bring your personal darlings, quirks and interests of course.

as for the questions:

In my second post in this thread I think I listed all that is expected from the programmers. During the festival programmers can be jurors if they want. Usually I will have seen most of the selections beforehand and it feels strange to then go on to judge films I've already participated in selecting, so I keep my ratings untill after the festival, but there is no rule against it. Also, in general, anyone who has seen all films in a section automatically is able to add his/her judgement for that section.

Previous festival films are indeed excluded, there is an Imdb treshhold of 10000 votes that the film needs to be below, the period this time is 2017 - 2020. With the focus more towards the 2017 side if possible. Also please take availability into consideration. We are looking for films that have flown under the mainstream radar anyway, so selecting a movie that has had its cinema premiere a week ago and won't be available in any other way for a few months is not the thing to go for.
Last edited by beavis on June 13th, 2020, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 13th, 2020, 6:35 am

as an idea for the art-house section I suggest we look into the Galician new wave

so far this year I have seen:

O que arde (2019)
Longa noite (2019)
La estrella errante (2018)
Trinta Lumes (2018)
El mar nos mira de lejos (2017)

all of them would be major reccomendations!!
and on my watch-list still are Trote and Últimas Ondas (along with more, older, titles)
this is a very fertile patch of art-house cinema ground in recent years, and I think it would be good to have it represented at the ICMFF

see this website for an overview of filmmakers that are counted as part of this "wave"
http://novocinemagalego.info/cineastas/

or these two production company websites
http://zeitunfilms.com/en/index.html
http://elviajefilms.com/?lang=en
Last edited by beavis on June 13th, 2020, 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PGonzalez

Post by PGonzalez » June 13th, 2020, 6:38 am

AB537 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 1:43 am
I just became aware of this thread. The project intrigues me, although like some others I'm often a few years behind in watching new things that are a bit off the beaten path, so am probably not in a position to contribute much in the way of new suggestions. The few I have that are worth nominating have, for the most part, appeared at major film festivals. That said, I could likely manage to watch at least 6 of others' nominees in July and August in between challenges etc.
Ditto. I haven't seen much from these past years, but I could probably draw up a list of around ten. I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch the six required until August (it's really a shame that I didn't see this thread before) but I'll make an effort if you still need programmers.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 13th, 2020, 6:46 am

Very cool PGonzalez!!
Six felt like a very easy to reach minimum for me, hoping to take a way some of the previous barriers people may have felt... but I have to realise there are actually not a lot of people on here keeping up with new cinema... But hey, that is part of the reason why we are doing this festival! So for now I'd say don't worry about not having too many suggestions. Any that you'd have are welcome, and if you can support the team in the selection by watching 6 nominations and joining in talks and deliberations that is very much appreciated!
Last edited by beavis on June 13th, 2020, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 13th, 2020, 6:47 am

I have a two month semester break after tomorrow night and I hope to get through as many of the nominated films as possible over that time. I'll try to be more active in this thread while I'm doing that. I'm not sure how many new films I'll be able to add and nominate myself, though. I hope we don't have to cancel, I really look forward to the iCMFF :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 13th, 2020, 7:03 am

I also don't feel like I keep up-to-date with recent cinema, and that I'm always a few years behind, but I wouldn't let that stop you from participating.

You can also simply focus on seeking out films that others have nominated instead of trying to come up with new films, if you'd like.

AB, PG, and sacm, I've added a column for each of you in the spreadsheet (in the 2020 tab), so you can already add your ratings (0,1,2,3) for the films that you've seen. If you want to add new films, you can add the title and your rating in one of the empty rows, and I can take care of the formulas. And then post here in this thread to share you insights/recommendations :)

And if you have any additional questions, keep asking them here :)

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 13th, 2020, 7:25 am

I'll start going through my films and fill in the spreadsheet. And make a few suggestions. As many of you know, Animation is one of my most liked categories, so I can definitively suggest some watches to see if we can better the category. I'll see what I've seen too to add.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 13th, 2020, 7:59 am

sacmersault wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 7:25 am
I'll start going through my films and fill in the spreadsheet. And make a few suggestions. As many of you know, Animation is one of my most liked categories, so I can definitively suggest some watches to see if we can better the category. I'll see what I've seen too to add.
Thanks Sacm. I've kept your scores from last year, and if there are any films in the bottom section you want to nominate, you can drag them up to the end of the first list.

PGonzalez

Post by PGonzalez » June 13th, 2020, 12:34 pm

beavis wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 6:46 am
Very cool PGonzalez!!
Six felt like a very easy to reach minimum for me, hoping to take a way some of the previous barriers people may have felt... but I have to realise there are actually not a lot of people on here keeping up with new cinema... But hey, that is part of the reason why we are doing this festival! So for now I'd say don't worry about not having too many suggestions. Any that you'd have are welcome, and if you can support the team in the selection by watching 6 nominations and joining in talks and deliberations that is very much appreciated!
You're right, six should be a very low entry barrier, but I'm not sure I'll have a lot of time for movie watching during the next months. Whatever time I have I'll try to dedicate to this, as highlighting recent stuff that flew under the radar should be one of the main focus of this forum and this project seems to be in a great position to do so.
Fergenaprido wrote:AB, PG, and sacm, I've added a column for each of you in the spreadsheet (in the 2020 tab), so you can already add your ratings (0,1,2,3) for the films that you've seen. If you want to add new films, you can add the title and your rating in one of the empty rows, and I can take care of the formulas. And then post here in this thread to share you insights/recommendations :)

Cheers, and thank you! Are movies that passed the cutoff, like Bacurau or Vivarium, going to be deleted?

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 13th, 2020, 12:43 pm

PGonzalez wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:34 pm
Are movies that passed the cutoff, like Bacurau or Vivarium, going to be deleted?
Let's decide later, closer to the deadline, once we've got a better sense of how many films we have for each slate. We'll probably do that some time end of August/beginning of September.

PGonzalez

Post by PGonzalez » June 13th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Sounds good!

For starters I'll nominate the following (assuming that I can add a few later on, and don't need to nominate all at the same time):

- Jeanne - A fascinating retelling of Joan of Arc's myth, with a great soundtrack by Christophe that blends pop with liturgical music. I found it entrancing, but when I saw it at Cannes (where people knew what they were getting into) about two thirds of the room walked out, some of them five minutes before the final credits. I went alone, but this guy sat next to me and was so still during the film that I thought he was fascinated by it too, and I was looking forward to talking to him at the end. He had fallen asleep.

- Hatsukoi - Great fun from Miike, a love story unfolding among gang wars, kidnappings, amnesia-induced confusion and quite a bit of mindless violence. Not earth shattering, but seems quite good for the "just before dawn" section.

- Domino - Brian de Palma's latest is a stylish genre exercise with a bit to say about European identity (a gung-ho Talking Picture) that's far better than it was given credit for.

- L'Île au Trésor - A touching documentary on childhood via a few days spent in a water park.

- D'Après une Histoire Vraie - Recommending Polanski is always shitty, but this neo-Hitchcockian thriller deserves more attention.

- Zombi Child - Colonialism through genre, greatly inspired by I Walked With a Zombie but doing something completely new with it.

- Vitalina Varela - Costa's most accessible film in a long time, and beautiful beyond words.

- A Vida Invisível de Eurídice Gusmão - Brilliant melodrama, and a gut-punching account of Brazilian patriarchy.

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 13th, 2020, 1:41 pm

beavis wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 6:16 am
In my second post in this thread I think I listed all that is expected from the programmers. During the festival programmers can be jurors if they want. Usually I will have seen most of the selections beforehand and it feels strange to then go on to judge films I've already participated in selecting, so I keep my ratings untill after the festival, but there is no rule against it. Also, in general, anyone who has seen all films in a section automatically is able to add his/her judgement for that section.

Previous festival films are indeed excluded, there is an Imdb treshhold of 10000 votes that the film needs to be below, the period this time is 2017 - 2020. With the focus more towards the 2017 side if possible. Also please take availability into consideration. We are looking for films that have flown under the mainstream radar anyway, so selecting a movie that has had its cinema premiere a week ago and won't be available in any other way for a few months is not the thing to go for.
Thanks for the clarifications - I like that the threshold to participate is relatively low, watching at least 3 films for every other programmer (with uncertain numbers) probably would have been too overwhelming.
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 7:03 am
I also don't feel like I keep up-to-date with recent cinema, and that I'm always a few years behind, but I wouldn't let that stop you from participating.

You can also simply focus on seeking out films that others have nominated instead of trying to come up with new films, if you'd like.

AB, PG, and sacm, I've added a column for each of you in the spreadsheet (in the 2020 tab), so you can already add your ratings (0,1,2,3) for the films that you've seen. If you want to add new films, you can add the title and your rating in one of the empty rows, and I can take care of the formulas. And then post here in this thread to share you insights/recommendations :)

Sounds good, thanks! Definitely easier to have everything in one place, I'll add a few nominees to the thread and spreadsheet later today.

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 13th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Here's what I've got so far. Most of these screened at major film festivals, including Cannes, Venice and Toronto. I saw most of these at the Toronto Film Festival, or at its year-round theatre, but have noted those that I'm aware are available on major streaming services in Canada

1. In Search of Fellini (Taron Lexton, 2017): adventure fantasy about a sheltered American girl who becomes obsessed with Fellini's films and travels to Italy with the goal of meeting him
2. Diqiu zuihou de yewan - Long Day's Journey into Night (Bi Gan, 2018): portrait of a man adrift in modern China, culminating in a stunning 45 minute long take ... available on Criterion Channel in US and Canada
3. Doubles vies - Non-fiction (Olivier Assayas, 2018): French comedy-drama about people in creative fields: writers, actors, publishers
4. The Eyes of Orson Welles (Mark Cousins, 2018): Documentary tribute to Orson Welles and his films, adding helpful background and context to many films
5. Loro (Paolo Sorrentino, 2018): Italian satirical biopic of Silvio Berlusconi and the corruption surrounding him
6. Museo (Alonso Ruizpalacios, 2018): Mexican crime film about two friends who steal a priceless Aztec museum piece
7. Pájaros de verano - Birds of Passage (Guerra/Gallego, 2018): Colombian gangster movie set in an indigenous community
8. Atlantique - Atlantics (Mati Diop, 2019): story of two impoverished lovers trying to leave Senegal for a better life ... available on Netflix in Canada
9. Boze cialo - Corpus Christi (Jan Komasa, 2019): Polish film about a young criminal who masquerades as a small town Catholic priest
10. La Llorona (Jayro Bustamante, 2019): Guatemalan film that mashes up the titular central American ghost tale with an incisive look at the country's past military dictatorships

beavis

Post by beavis » June 13th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Nice, I am actually just back home after a cinema visit to watch Ghost Tropic and La Llorona! 😀
Have seen a lot of the other suggestions too, seem cool choices, not sure about the Imdb treshhold for some of them. Long Day's Journey into Night for instance, was on the ballot last year but not selected because deemed too popular... but we'll see, I'll check it out in more detail later.

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 13th, 2020, 5:09 pm

beavis wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:31 pm
Nice, I am actually just back home after a cinema visit to watch Ghost Tropic and La Llorona! 😀
Have seen a lot of the other suggestions too, seem cool choices, not sure about the Imdb treshhold for some of them. Long Day's Journey into Night for instance, was on the ballot last year but not selected because deemed too popular... but we'll see, I'll check it out in more detail later.
As of this morning, all were under 10K votes on IMDB, although granted some of mine have received quite a bit of attention, including on this forum.

Great that you're able to visit cinemas again ... ours here are still closed, although the only one I visit regularly for most of the year is the Film Festival's year-round theatre.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 14th, 2020, 9:32 am

PGonzalez wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 1:11 pm
- Jeanne - seen it, had been looking forward to it very much after the first part, but this one really didn't work for me, sorry, can't give my support
- Hatsukoi - seen it, not his best work by far, but I can see this work at the festival, weak support
- Domino - I need to look into de Palma more, so I'll look this up!
- L'Île au Trésor - seen it, very interesting director, this felt like a low key work for me, but is still a nice reccomendation. NB the setting of this docu returns in his Contes de Juillet (2017), could be a nice double bill for the festival (the French dvd contains both movies, with English subs)
- D'Après une Histoire Vraie - not sure about this one...
- Zombi Child - already on my watch list, will prioritise it now!
- Vitalina Varela - seen it, maybe "least urgent" is a better description, but I'll always support Costa
- A Vida Invisível de Eurídice Gusmão - seen it, very nice reccomendation! strong support

beavis

Post by beavis » June 14th, 2020, 9:45 am

AB537 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:06 pm
1. In Search of Fellini (Taron Lexton, 2017) - interesting! will look it up
2. Long Day's Journey into Night (Bi Gan, 2018) - seen it, one of the bigger festival hits last year, the final 3D sequence is cool, hope that it works in a home-setting...?
3. Non-fiction (Olivier Assayas, 2018) - seen it, assayas is always good, can support this
4. The Eyes of Orson Welles (Mark Cousins, 2018) - I like Cousins, seen a lot of Welles last year, but somehow not this one... maybe I'll look it up
5. Loro (Paolo Sorrentino, 2018)- seen it, the shorter International version, really like Sorrentino's style, strong support for either version
6. Museo (Alonso Ruizpalacios, 2018) - not sure about this one (because crime genre), but will look it up!
7. Birds of Passage (Guerra/Gallego, 2018) - seen it, was not as enthusiastic as some, but it is still a good movie
8. Atlantics (Mati Diop, 2019) - seen it, very good movie, strong support
9. Corpus Christi (Jan Komasa, 2019) - not seen it yet, from what I've heard (and how well it did at the IFFR earlier this year) it felt like some mainstream thing I could skip...
10. La Llorona (Jayro Bustamante, 2019) - JUST seen it, nice movie, I felt the concept and the execution of it were a bit too simple, but maybe it would resonate more with me if I'd be more familiar with Guatemalan culture, and it still got a good vibe, interesting director too, so I can support this one.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 14th, 2020, 9:59 am

beavis wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 9:45 am
2. Long Day's Journey into Night (Bi Gan, 2018) - seen it, one of the bigger festival hits last year, the final 3D sequence is cool, hope that it works in a home-setting...?
I saw this one on a plane. Had no idea that one-take part was supposed to be in 3D. I think it still worked, though.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 14th, 2020, 10:06 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 9:59 am
beavis wrote:
I saw this one on a plane. Had no idea that one-take part was supposed to be in 3D. I think it still worked, though.
Well, at least that settles that question ;)
And Imdb votes are indeed very much under our treshhold
Seems strange now, that this one got veto'd by us last year then... I am personally always looking off the beaten tracks, but there is nothing against our festival being a "best of the fests"... maybe most people would appreciate that even more...? Especially when the suggestions are very strong like this one, and Atlantics (and to my eyes also Loro, although the reception of that one was more divided).

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 14th, 2020, 12:07 pm

beavis wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 10:06 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
beavis wrote:
Seems strange now, that this one got veto'd by us last year then... I am personally always looking off the beaten tracks, but there is nothing against our festival being a "best of the fests"... maybe most people would appreciate that even more...? Especially when the suggestions are very strong like this one, and Atlantics (and to my eyes also Loro, although the reception of that one was more divided).
I believe the main reason was that last year had a bunch of Chinese-language films and we didn't want to have all of them, so this one was dropped (don't remember why specifically this one). I'm not against including it this year. Let's keep it in the discussion for now and decide at the end of summer once we've all seen a bunch more :)

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 14th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 12:07 pm
beavis wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 10:06 am
Fergenaprido wrote:

I believe the main reason was that last year had a bunch of Chinese-language films and we didn't want to have all of them, so this one was dropped (don't remember why specifically this one). I'm not against including it this year. Let's keep it in the discussion for now and decide at the end of summer once we've all seen a bunch more :)
Works for me. Incidentally I saw Long Day's Journey into Night on Criterion Channel at home during the DtC nominees challenge - had hoped to see it in theatres over a year ago but it didn't work out.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » June 16th, 2020, 6:42 pm

beavis wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 12:49 pm
Xianjiro made an insightful overview of the number of views of last years edition. He and I watched the major part of the entire slate, but we were clearly outliers. The average number of films rated by all other viewers who rated movies during the festival was 12. This is not bad, considering all the other games and challenges running on the forum and the busy time in general at the end of the year. It is however a strong argument to reduce the size of the Main Slate somewhat this year. This has also been mentioned in the festival feedback (Maxwelldeluxe, Xianjiro). I wanted to discuss this later, along with the process for the Jury and such, but thought it maybe wise to already mention it here and now. (A maximum of 8 titles for the Main Slate would be my suggestion btw)
I'm still working my way through the 2015 version of this, 35/50 feature films watched :lol: . Shortening things would help me a lot. Also maybe break the horror one out into a separate piece at the time of year people watch horror more than normal, makes things a little more bitesize. Very fond of this festival, but still have so many to catch up on that I kinda ignored last year's.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 16th, 2020, 7:55 pm

We hear you 😀
Though i don't know if breaking up parts of the festival would work, on the planning side and such
But we'll try more to keep everything contained i'm sure

beavis

Post by beavis » June 17th, 2020, 10:02 am

https://letterboxd.com/beavis/list/ff-opties/

I just made a LB-list of films I am looking at as potential candidates now. Some of them nominations you guys made, and some that I'm just interested in and could be candidates, if I really like them and it fills some gap we're having. It might inspire you to search some of them out too (haven't checked the amounts of Imdb-votes yet, but they seem all lesser known movies to me).

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 17th, 2020, 12:24 pm

beavis wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 10:02 am

I just made a LB-list of films I am looking at as potential candidates now. Some of them nominations you guys made, and some that I'm just interested in and could be candidates, if I really like them and it fills some gap we're having. It might inspire you to search some of them out too (haven't checked the amounts of Imdb-votes yet, but they seem all lesser known movies to me).
The only one that jumped out at me as being too popular was Hale County, since it was nominated for an Oscar, but it's only got 1,700 votes on imdb, so I think the rest will be good as well.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 17th, 2020, 2:34 pm

beavis wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 10:02 am

From the list I strongly recommend:
Museo
The Chambermaid

From the list you made I recommend you:
Hale County This Morning This Evening
Bunuel in the Labyrinth of Turtles

On the other hand Winaypacha was a tough watch. I actually didn't finish watching it.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 17th, 2020, 4:53 pm

tough because bad or because heavy?

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 17th, 2020, 6:43 pm

beavis wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 4:53 pm
tough because bad or because heavy?
a bit too boring

beavis

Post by beavis » June 24th, 2020, 8:06 am

130 options now in my LB-list. watched 2 so far and will about 25 more in the coming month i think, with priority to nominated titles of course.
@sacmersault, have you found something you'd like to nominate yet?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 26th, 2020, 8:48 am

Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press (2017), nominated by maxwelldeux / Doc

I had never heard of the Hulk Hogan sex tape or Gawker or anything mentioned in this, which I always find strange in these kind of 'big picture' documentaries and makes it hard to really contextualise their points. At first it was quite interesting but the more political it got, the messier it got and the more I zoned out. I thought it was ok but I was more interested in the initial Hogan case than all the twists and turns that came next, and it all got a bit too "'murica and freedom" by the end.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 28th, 2020, 3:04 am

AB537 wrote:
10. La Llorona (Jayro Bustamante, 2019): Guatemalan film that mashes up the titular central American ghost tale with an incisive look at the country's past military dictatorships

Is this available anywhere else? I can't find it.

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 28th, 2020, 2:30 pm

mightysparks wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 3:04 am
AB537 wrote:

Is this available anywhere else? I can't find it.
Good question. It's been floating around for a bit - I saw it at the Toronto film festival last fall and it premiered at Venice around the same time - and may still be on the arthouse circuit to the extent theatres are available now, I think Beavis mentioned seeing it in theatres in Amsterdam recently. Unfortunately I don't know of a place it's currently available online, although I'm not as familiar with sourcing films online as some people here. It's definitely not currently on Netflix, Prime, Criterion Channel, Kanopy or Hoopla in Canada.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 28th, 2020, 7:40 pm

I can't find it online either, this one might be to fresh to be a good candidate for the final selection...

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 29th, 2020, 6:12 am

Here are my 3 suggestions:
Devil’s Freedom (2017) – Latam/Doc
McQueen (2018) - Documentary
Casa Roshell (2017) - Documentary/Latam/LGBT

Here's a bunch of others that I strongly support (specially look at the Latam & Animation nominations):
Two Irenes (2017) - Latam
Museo (2018) - Latam
Ruben Brandt, Collector (2018) – Animation
Somos Campeones (2018) – Europe
The Willoughbys (2020) – Animation
Las Ninas Bien (2018) - Latam
Las Herederas (2018) – Latam
Chavela (2017) - Documentary
Beatriz at Dinner (2017) - Independent
Beast (2017) – After Midnight
Luce (2019) – Independent
The Girl in the Fog (2017) – After Midnight
Tom of Finland (2017) – LGBT
The Tower (2018) - Animation
See You Up There (2017) - Europe
MFKZ (2017) – Animation
Rush Hour (2018) - Documentary
Ana y Bruno (2017) – Animation
Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool (2017) – Independent
The Third Wife (2018) - Asian
Zama (2017) - Latam
Long Day’s Journey into the Night (2018) – Asian
Saint Frances (2019) – Independent
Hail Satan? (2019) – Documentary
Menashe (2017) - Independent
Consequences (2018) - LGBT
Never Rarely Sometimes Always (2020) – Independent
Beanpole (2019) – European
Comprame un Revolver (2018) - Latam
Giant Little Ones (2018) – LGBT
Hochelaga, Land of Souls (2017) - Independent
The Bride (2017) – After Midnight
Duck Butter (2018) – LGBT
The Night Eats the World (2018) – After Midnight
The Workshop (2017) – Europe
Hale County This Morning, This Evening (2018) - Documentary
Tehran Taboo (2017) – Animation
Funan (2018) – Animation

Detainment (2018) - Short

I'll like to remind you guys too that a few of the movies I've recommended for the couple years are now part of the official Cinema Tropical 2010s, so if anyone would like to watch them, it would be amazing.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » Yesterday, 1:22 am

Recently I've watched:

I Think We're Alone Now (2018), nominated by fergenaprido
Started off quite strong with an interesting lead in Dinklage as someone enjoying being alone in post-apocalyptia and watching him going about his day. Elle Fanning's character was less interesting as the more 'annoying person to interrupt Dinklage's quiet', but manages to prevent the character and the plot from feeling too generic. But it never really goes anywhere and some of the interesting ideas brought up later feel random and unexplored. I think this could've worked better as a mini-series. Low support from me.

Ruben Brandt, Collector (2018), nominated by beavis
Not really my kind of thing, but really beautiful and unique animation that makes the world and the characters feel really alive instead of flat and dead like I find with a lot of animation. There are some fun crime caper moments, but it also dragged a bit and ultimately I wasn't really sure what I was meant to be getting from this. Because of the strong visuals and because I think a lot of people would get a kick out of this, medium support from me.

AB537

Post by AB537 » Yesterday, 2:00 am

Also watched a couple earlier today:

Di Renjie zhi Sidatianwang - Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings, nominated by Beavis
Strong support: a beautifully shot fantasy/action/mystery film set in medieval China. Lots of intrigue and great action scenes. Perhaps a tad convoluted and maybe a bit too nicely wrapped up at the end, but doesn't detract from the enjoyment factor for me.

Braid, nominated by mightysparks
Weak support: a horror film featuring three girls and a very twisted game. Reminded me a little bit of The Loved Ones. Unfortunately, I didn't get as much of a plot or intrigue here as I'd hoped.