Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

iCMFF4: Programmer's Thread

AB537

Re: iCMFF4: Programmer's Thread

Post by AB537 » July 8th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Does anyone have links for Martin Eden and/or Sunset with English subtitles?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 8th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Watched Atlantics today. Interesting film though I wasn’t quite sure what the point was and felt I was missing something. And the very last scene just seemed dumb. The lead actress was very good, and I thought the music and visuals were beautiful. There was a genuine kind of sadness and longing in those shots of the sea and the ‘spooky’ music, but I didn’t find the romance parts that convincing. I mean,

SpoilerShow
teenage kid dies and comes back for the ‘love of his life’ who he seemed to barely know? Yeah he was really just a horny dead teenager who came back to finally get a piece of that ass before his soul went to rest. Just weird and not romantic as the film seems to want you to think
Anyway medium support from me because there were some cool things about it, just didn’t all come together entirely for me.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » July 15th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Watched:
Synonyms (3) I strongly recommend it. I actually loved this film. The acting is amazing. The script is very unusual but works perfectly.

Bacurau (1) I recommended slightly. I was expecting a lot from this film, but it resembles a lot of other films. The only difference was the social inequality aspect of it. It straddles the line between funny and serious, but doesn't fit either completely.

Recommended:
Relic (2020) After Dawn/Independent (3) I strongly recommend it. It's actually a very good attempt at making a different type of horror film. It uses elements of traditional horror films but makes them more personal and thus scarier. There film is also a lot deeper than the superficial story. Only problem is that is from 2020, maybe it can wait.

Primos (2019) LGBTQ/Latam (2) I recommend it. The film itself is very basic. It has a story similar to other gay films (a young man with a religious family struggling to be gay), but they it all goes upside-down. As the name of the movie mentions it, this is a love story between cousins. Long lost and not very close cousins but cousins nonetheless. It is very low budget and a bit cliched at times, but the relationship and chemistry between the actors and a few other factors might be enough to give it a spot.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 18th, 2020, 3:53 am

Watched:

Synonymes (2019)
I picked up on a couple of threads on ideas of masculinity in this which never really went anywhere, but otherwise I really couldn't work out what the point of this film was. The dialogue and characters seemed a bit stylised and purposely stilted, which I didn't like, and ultimately the whole film felt like a pointless waste of time. It was a total drag. The pervy photographer scene was kind of uncomfortably amusing. No support from me.

Zombi Child (2019)
There are some beautiful shots of the Haitian jungle and towns, and it's overall a pretty nice looking film. The music was interesting and it definitely seemed to be trying to build a moody and atmospheric film over a plot-based one, but I found it never really quite worked. I didn't find the schoolgirl drama stuff very interesting and the characters and plot lacked development. The acting is decent, but it's better when they're not talking. I feel like a more complete narrative OR less narrative and dialogue and better focused mood and deeper tackling of its themes would have made for a better film. The climax was silly and the ending didn't really answer any questions or ask any interesting ones. Low support from me.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

AB537

Post by AB537 » July 18th, 2020, 5:00 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 3:53 am
Watched:

Synonymes (2019)
I picked up on a couple of threads on ideas of masculinity in this which never really went anywhere, but otherwise I really couldn't work out what the point of this film was. The dialogue and characters seemed a bit stylised and purposely stilted, which I didn't like, and ultimately the whole film felt like a pointless waste of time. It was a total drag. The pervy photographer scene was kind of uncomfortably amusing. No support from me.

Zombi Child (2019)
There are some beautiful shots of the Haitian jungle and towns, and it's overall a pretty nice looking film. The music was interesting and it definitely seemed to be trying to build a moody and atmospheric film over a plot-based one, but I found it never really quite worked. I didn't find the schoolgirl drama stuff very interesting and the characters and plot lacked development. The acting is decent, but it's better when they're not talking. I feel like a more complete narrative OR less narrative and dialogue and better focused mood and deeper tackling of its themes would have made for a better film. The climax was silly and the ending didn't really answer any questions or ask any interesting ones. Low support from me.
As it happens, I've watched the same two films in the last week or so. Generally agree with your comments, although my views are probably marginally more favourable to both and that's reflected by my scores being one point higher in each case.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 20th, 2020, 5:34 am

Watched:

Domino (2019)
It's almost unbelievable that a film this poorly made is still getting made these days. It really is something awful. The score is completely unsuitable and overbearing whenever it's played, including for practically the first 30 minutes straight. It was so distracting. Despite a pretty strong cast, the acting is terrible from everyone with many laughable scenes. The script sucks, the editing sucks, there's no tension at all. The story is quite weak but it could've been an ok action thriller if it hadn't been so badly made. It did improve slightly after the first 30 minutes when the music finally stops, but it's never good by any means. No support from me.

Jallikattu (2019)
Unlike the previous film, there is some wonderful filmmaking here. The film is beautiful, the rhythmic score is atmospheric and effective, the editing is great. However, I didn't really love the film. The first ten minutes were really strong and I loved all the montage stuff. But while everything happening on screen is chaotic, I never 'felt' the chaos or the tension and couldn't get pulled into its world and it dragged a lot at times. I thought it could've been an amazing short film, but there wasn't enough 'plot' to keep it going for that long -- I did like the glimpses into the village and people's lives rather than overdoing it like 'typical mainstream trash' American film would've done, but all the little threads didn't all come together for me. All the violence towards the buffalo was sad as well :( Though I didn't love this film, it had a lot of great aspects and was a very good film. Medium support from me.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm

I've been sidetracked from this due to the Canadian challenge this month, but I've seen a couple of films that I'll throw some support behind.

The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson (2017) didn't quite deliver what I was hoping/expecting, but it was still a decent film.
The Dead the Others (2018) I caught on Mubi just now without realizing it was nominated until I saw beavis had checked it. A tad long and I felt it lost its way a few times, but overall quite good and an important showcase of indigenous Brazilian culture.

I give both films a 2.

I should be able to catch a half dozen more next month.

AB537

Post by AB537 » July 22nd, 2020, 6:14 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm
I've been sidetracked from this due to the Canadian challenge this month, but I've seen a couple of films that I'll throw some support behind.

The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson (2017) didn't quite deliver what I was hoping/expecting, but it was still a decent film.
The Dead the Others (2018) I caught on Mubi just now without realizing it was nominated until I saw beavis had checked it. A tad long and I felt it lost its way a few times, but overall quite good and an important showcase of indigenous Brazilian culture.

I give both films a 2.

I should be able to catch a half dozen more next month.
Thanks for flagging that The Death and the Others is on MUBI, will try to check that one out. Haven't been as focused on challenges as usual this month, so hopefully will at least hit the minimum quota by end of month.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 23rd, 2020, 8:24 am

If I'd realized I would have posted earlier, but I usually watch the Mubi films on the last day they're available for me.

AB537

Post by AB537 » July 23rd, 2020, 12:48 pm

No worries, it was the last day for me as well. But it might still be available with their "Library" feature, I haven't really tried that yet.