Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

The best thing about the 2010's in film

Post Reply
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1281
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

The best thing about the 2010's in film

#1

Post by cinewest » February 15th, 2020, 4:19 pm

The Documentaries.

I probably saw more excellent, imaginative, and distinctive documentaries from the 2010's than from any other decade. The first 20 to come to mind:

Exit through The Gift Shop (2010)
Stories We Tell (2013)
One More time With Feeling (2016)
This is not a Film (2012)
The Act of Killing (2013)
Nostalgia for the Light (2011)
56 / 63 Up (2013)
Citizenfour (2014)
Inside Job (2010)
Free Solo (2018)
Faces Places (2017)
I Am Not Your Negro (2017)
Leviathan (2014)
Pina (2011)
Camera Person (2016)
EX LIBRIS: The New York City Public Library (2017)
Dawson City: Frozen Time (2017)
Museum Hours (2012)
Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu (2011
Le Quatro Volte (2010)

What were your favorite docs. of the decade?

User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 2288
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

#2

Post by nimimerkillinen » February 15th, 2020, 4:28 pm

isnt museum hours drama movie?

ill post some later

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 19930
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#3

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 15th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Ranked

Autobiografia lui Nicolae Ceaușescu [The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu] (2010)
El sicario: Room 164 (2010)
Homo sapiens (2016)
Two Years at Sea (2011)
悲兮魔兽 [Behemoth] (2015)
Leviathan (2012)
Über die Jahre [Over the Years] (2015) yes it's 3 hours long but they follow multiple people for 10 years
疯爱 ['Til Madness Do Us Part] (2013)
달팽이의 별 [Planet of Snail] (2011)
In Jackson Heights (2015)
Qu'ils reposent en révolte (Des figures de guerre) [May They Rest in Revolt (Figures of War)] (2010)
Fuocoammare [Fire at Sea] (2016)
L'image manquante [The Missing Picture] (2013)
牡蠣工場 [Oyster Factory] (2016)
德昂 [Ta'ang] (2016)
The Illinois Parables (2016)
این فیلم نیست [This Is Not a Film] (2011)
Les films rêvés [Dreaming Films] (2010)
Senna (2010)
Atlas (2013)
Beyond Zero: 1914-1918 (2014)
Small Roads (2011)
玉门 [Yumen] (2013)
Dead Slow Ahead (2015)
Autrement, la Molussie [Differently, Molussia] (2012)

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4084
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#4

Post by OldAle1 » February 15th, 2020, 5:02 pm

cinewest wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 4:19 pm
The Documentaries.

I probably saw more excellent, imaginative, and distinctive documentaries from the 2010's than from any other decade.
Given that your focus is so strongly on this and recent decades, this is hardly surprising is it? I mean, how many documentaries have you seen from the 1930s or 1960s? Anyway, I don't really focus on docs the way a lot of folks do, so I don't know if I can agree with you or not regardless of numbers & quality seen. If I had to suggest a superlative feature of the decade overall it would probably be the use that folks like Lav Diaz have been able to put digital technology to, creating films that would have been nearly impossible decades ago - both for monetary and technological reasons. Obviously this has been a big plus for documentary filmmakers as well given the usual budget restraints so perhaps that's an indication that you're onto something. But again, I don't really see enough docs to feel comfortable making such assessments.

What were your favorite docs. of the decade?
no real order

Visages villages and Varda par Agnès - Agnès Varda
Stories We Tell - Sarah Polley
In film nist - Jafar Panahi - his other features this decade have all been mixes of documentary and fiction and IMO are all eminently worthwhile
The Thoughts That Once We Had - Thom Andersen
Exit Through the Gift Shop - Banksy
Tim's Vermeer - Teller
Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun? - Travis Wilkerson
Bitter Lake - Adam Curtis
Minding the Gap - Bing Liu - probably not as impressive "objectively" as the others, but of personal significance to me as it documents a city that I know quite well and live close to

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3541
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#5

Post by Onderhond » February 15th, 2020, 5:11 pm

01. Antarctica: A Year on Ice

Just one, but since that's the only doc I've ever really loved, the 10s are still the best I guess :D
I'm really not a big fan of documentaries. Rarely cinematic, often just (masked) propaganda, rarely very truthful.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1281
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#6

Post by cinewest » February 15th, 2020, 5:41 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 4:28 pm
isnt museum hours drama movie?

ill post some later
You are right. I confused that title with another doc I saw set in a museum, maybe National Gallery, by Wiseman.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1281
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#7

Post by cinewest » February 15th, 2020, 5:55 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 5:02 pm
cinewest wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 4:19 pm
The Documentaries.

I probably saw more excellent, imaginative, and distinctive documentaries from the 2010's than from any other decade.
Given that your focus is so strongly on this and recent decades, this is hardly surprising is it? I mean, how many documentaries have you seen from the 1930s or 1960s? Anyway, I don't really focus on docs the way a lot of folks do, so I don't know if I can agree with you or not regardless of numbers & quality seen. If I had to suggest a superlative feature of the decade overall it would probably be the use that folks like Lav Diaz have been able to put digital technology to, creating films that would have been nearly impossible decades ago - both for monetary and technological reasons. Obviously this has been a big plus for documentary filmmakers as well given the usual budget restraints so perhaps that's an indication that you're onto something. But again, I don't really see enough docs to feel comfortable making such assessments.

What were your favorite docs. of the decade?
no real order

Visages villages and Varda par Agnès - Agnès Varda
Stories We Tell - Sarah Polley
In film nist - Jafar Panahi - his other features this decade have all been mixes of documentary and fiction and IMO are all eminently worthwhile
The Thoughts That Once We Had - Thom Andersen
Exit Through the Gift Shop - Banksy
Tim's Vermeer - Teller
Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun? - Travis Wilkerson
Bitter Lake - Adam Curtis
Minding the Gap - Bing Liu - probably not as impressive "objectively" as the others, but of personal significance to me as it documents a city that I know quite well and live close to
I think your input is also valid about the decade, and as you said there is probably a corollary to why so many good docs came out during this period. I don;t usually go out of my way to see documentaries, but used to find their cinematic and narrative qualities not really that interesting to me beyond the subject matter. What has changed quite a bit to me has been the stylistic creativity of many documentary filmmakers, to a point where some docs are often more exciting as cinema than most feature films.

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6945
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#8

Post by 3eyes » February 15th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Just to be clear: this thread is for documentaries only? If so, I wish this were clearer, like Favorite documentaries of 2010s. I seem to have favorited a fair number of docudramas.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1281
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#9

Post by cinewest » February 15th, 2020, 6:34 pm

3eyes wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Just to be clear: this thread is for documentaries only? If so, I wish this were clearer, like Favorite documentaries of 2010s. I seem to have favorited a fair number of docudramas.
The docs in the 2010’s stood out to me, but feel free to mention your favorite docs, or something else about the decade in film that stood out for you

blocho
Donator
Posts: 2865
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#10

Post by blocho » February 15th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Agreed, a great decade for documentaries. My favorites, from the 2010s, in chronological order:

Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Exit Through the Gift Shop
My Life with Carlos
Nostalgia for the Light [also my favorite movie of the 2010s]
Restrepo
Smash His Camera
Tabloid
El Lugar Mas Pequeno
The Act of Killing
Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God
Murder of Couriers
The Queen of Versailles
Room 237
Stories We Tell
The Waiting Room
The Missing Picture
El Boton de Nacar
Nuts!
Tower
LA 92
Afterward
The World Before Your Feet

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6945
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#11

Post by 3eyes » February 15th, 2020, 10:43 pm

OK, some docs and related stuff that grabbed me along the way - reverse chronological order:

Won’t you be my neighbor? (18)
Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr story (17)
The Vietnam War (17, series)
I am not your Negro (16)
El botón de nácar (Chili 15)
Marie's Dictionary (15, short)
Salero (Bolivia 15)
1971 (14)
The Roosevelts: an intimate history (14, series)
Broken record (Iraq 13)
A cinema of discontent (13)
Let the fire burn (13)
The Trials of Muhammad Ali (13)
The gatekeepers (Israel 12)
Das Rohe und das Gekochte (Ger-Taiwan 12)
Valentino’s ghost (12)
Five broken cameras (Palestine 11)
Samsara (11)
The story of film: an odyssey (UK 11)
The Desert of Forbidden Art (Russia 10)
Nostalgia de la luz (Internat’l 10)
Waste land (Brazil/UK 10)
Zurkhaneh: The House of Strength - Music and Martial Arts of Iran (Canada 10)

historical docudramas / biopics
Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down The White House (2017)
The journey (UK 16)
Kongens Nei (Nor 16)
Kampen om tungtvannet (Norway 15, series)
Nise: O Coração da Loucura (Brazil 15)
Great War diaries (Internat’l 14, series)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1303
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#12

Post by fori » February 16th, 2020, 12:01 am

The best thing about the 2010s was that the digital revolution enabled a slew of ambitious/unique projects (some documentaries included), many of which are all time favourites of mine.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1281
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#13

Post by cinewest » February 16th, 2020, 4:24 am

@blocho @3eyes

You both listed a few others I like a lot:

El Boton de Nacer... did you notice that Guzmán is coming out with the third part of his trilogy which has been an amazing historical and spiritual reflection on Chile.

And how could I forget Samsara, which is definitely one of my favorites in recent years.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1281
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#14

Post by cinewest » February 16th, 2020, 4:25 am

fori wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:01 am
The best thing about the 2010s was that the digital revolution enabled a slew of ambitious/unique projects (some documentaries included), many of which are all time favourites of mine.
Your comment is right on and echos oldAle’s above.

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1303
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#15

Post by fori » February 17th, 2020, 4:55 am

Very glad we’re all on the same page!

blocho
Donator
Posts: 2865
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#16

Post by blocho » February 17th, 2020, 12:42 pm

cinewest wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 4:24 am
El Boton de Nacer... did you notice that Guzmán is coming out with the third part of his trilogy which has been an amazing historical and spiritual reflection on Chile.
Yes, I'm very much looking forward to it.

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13314
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#17

Post by brokenface » February 17th, 2020, 12:59 pm

blocho wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 12:42 pm
cinewest wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 4:24 am
El Boton de Nacer... did you notice that Guzmán is coming out with the third part of his trilogy which has been an amazing historical and spiritual reflection on Chile.
Yes, I'm very much looking forward to it.
In somewhat same vein, i watched The Silence of Others (2018) at the weekend which is about the aftermath of the Franco years in Spain. It's not got the spiritual element so much and is less of a personal essay but it's an interesting doc about how countries face up to the past.

(On iplayer Storyville for uk people)

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 1801
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#18

Post by peeptoad » February 17th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Magic Trip: Ken Kesey's Search for a Kool Place (2011)
Woodstock (2019)
Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)
The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young (2014)
Samsara (2011)
The Vietnam War (2017)
Jodorowsky's Dune (2013)
Birth of the Living Dead (2013)
Tales of the Grim Sleeper (2014)
Eurocrime! The Italian Cop and Gangster Films That Ruled the '70s (2012)
Salad Days (2014)
Tower (2016)

Post Reply