Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

¶ Which first time viewings did you love the other month? - January 2020

Perception de Ambiguity

¶ Which first time viewings did you love the other month? - January 2020

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 1st, 2020, 1:51 am

Mine:

1. Секс и философия / Sex & Philosophy (Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 2005)
2. ناصرالدين شاه آكتور سينما / Once Upon a Time, Cinema (Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1992)
3. Relativity (Ed Emshwiller, 1966)
4. Das Auge des Taifun (Paulus Manker, 1993)
5. سلام سینما / Salaam Cinema / Salam Cinema (Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1995)
6. سکوت / The Silence / Sokout (Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1998)
7. Instabile Materie (Jürgen Reble, 1995)
8. Μανία / Mania (Giorgos Panousopoulos, 1985)
9. 実録不良少女 姦 / Female Delinquent: A Docu-Drama / Jitsuroku furyo shoujo: Kan (Toshiya Fujita, 1977)
10. Blinkity Blank (Norman McLaren, 1955)
11. Black Sun (Gary Tarn, 2005)
12. 来る / It Comes / Kuru (Tetsuya Nakashima, 2018)
13. La poulette grise (Norman McLaren, 1947)
14. Inside the Machine (Richard Tuohy & Dianna Barrie, 2017)
15. Boatman (Gianfranco Rosi, 1993)
16. Bérénice (Éric Rohmer, 1954)
17. Mémorable / Memorable (Bruno Collet, 2019)
18. Amazona (Clare Weiskopf & Nicolas van Hemelryck, 2016)
19. What Did Jack Do? (David Lynch, 2016 or 2017 or 2020)

Honorable Mentions

Cinema Cinema (Maani Petgar, 1997) ● Vase de noces / The Pig Fucking Movie / Wedding Trough / Svinet / One Man and His Pig (Thierry Zéno, 1974) ● Light Lick: Get It While You Can (Saul Levine, 2000) ● The Flicker Film (Norman McLaren, 1961) ● 去年火車經過的時候 / Last Year When the Train Passed By (Huang Pang-Chuan, 2018) ● The Platform Master (Director's Cut) (Jeffrey Eugene Hoch, 2019) ● [imagine Persian letters here] / qu'est-ce qu'il voit de filma emami / What he sees (Fima Emami, 1999) ● Twentynine Palms (Bruno Dumont, 2003) ● South of the Border (Oliver Stone, 2009) ● El doctor (Suzan Pitt, 2006) ● Die große Ekstase des Bildschnitzers Steiner (Werner Herzog, 1974) ● (Teleplay:) The Italian Machine (David Cronenberg, 1976) ● Double King (Felix Colgrave, 2017) ● تصاویری از سلسله قاجار / Images from the Qajar Dynasty (Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1993) ● The Pigpen (Felix Colgrave, 2009) ● Soft Self-Portrait of Salvador Dali (Jean-Christophe Averty, 1970) ● Love on the Wing (Norman McLaren, 1939) ● Light Lick: I Saw the Light, Praise the Dark (Saul Levine, 2000)
<><><>
Troilus & Cressida (Jonathan Miller, 1981) ● The History of White People in America (Harry Shearer, 1985) ● Disneyland, mon vieux pays natal / Disneyland, My Old Native Land (Arnaud des Pallières, 2002) ● 4/Chetyre/Four (Ilya Khrzhanovsky, 2004) ● Die poetische Kraft der Theorie (Alexander Kluge, 2007) ● 달콤, 살벌한 연인 / My Scary Girl (Son Jae-gon, 2006) ● 旅のロボから / Robot on the Road / Tabi no robo kara (Hiroyuki Okiura, 2015) ● 野良猫ロック ワイルドジャンボ / Stray Cat Rock: Wild Jumbo (Toshiya Fujita, 1970) ● The Ister (David Barison & Daniel Ross, 2004) ● The Juniper Tree (Nietzchka Keene, 1990) ● Corridor of Mirrors (Terence Young, 1948)

shoutouts
Norman McLaren (for many more good shorts that remained unmentioned here) ● Curb Your Enthusiasm season 10 so far ● Jeff Ross & Dave Attell

Honorable Mentions - most fruitful rewatches

Un chant d'amour (Jean Genet, 1950) 7 ● Breathless (Jim McBride, 1983) 7>8 ● El espíritu de la colmena / The Spirit of the Beehive (Víctor Erice, 1973) 6>7 ● Din of Celestial Birds (E. Elias Merhige, 2006) 7 ● Paradise Lost: Beneath Broken Earth (Ash Pears, 2015) 8>9 ● Begotten (E. Elias Merhige, 1989 A.D.) 6>7 ● La donna del lago / The Possessed (Luigi Bazzoni & Franco Rossellini, 1965) 9 ● Dead to the World (Sean Beavan & Joseph F. Cultice, 1998) 8

ours?
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » February 1st, 2020, 4:50 am

1. The Idiot 1951 (1951, Akira Kurosawa)
Another masterpiece butchered by the studio. Setsuko Hara really caught me by surprise here, she did for Nastasya Filippovna what Florence Pugh did for Amy March in 2019: made me actively root for a character that I have always thought of as irredeemable. I really need to see her in more films where she didn't play the girl next door(recs anyone?). The entire cast was great though, especially Mori as the titular character and Mifune's Rogozhin.

2. A Hidden Life (2019, Terrence Malick)
Seen all Malick features except To the Wonder, but this is my first on the big screen, now I can't help but feel like I hadn't actually seen his other films at all...Song to Song in particular is one I would have like to have seen in the cinema. The first hour is as perfect as anything he has ever done, loses a bit of steam after the 'plot' kicks in and never quite reached the same heights again for me.

3. Les Cousins (1959, Claude Chabrol)
4. The Hairdresser’s Husband (1990, Patrice Leconte)
5. Martin Eden (2019, Pietro Marcello)
6. The Mother and the Whore (1973, Jean Eustache)
7. Cœur fidèle (1923, Jean Epstein)
8. The Wild Goose Lake (2019, Diao Yi’nan)
9. Idlers of the Fertile Valley (1978, Nikos Panayotopoulos)
10. The Lovers (1970, Elyer Ishmukhamedov)

HM:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 1st, 2020, 4:54 am

No new 'instant' favourites, but three 7/10s - which is amazing for me:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
Manbiki kazoku (2018)
Una Mujer Fantástica (2017)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » February 1st, 2020, 7:40 am

The Goddess (1934) - 9/10
Yearning (1964) - 8/10
The Nightingale's Prayer (1959) - 8/10
Sansho the Bailiff (1954) - 8/10
Sabine Kleist, 7 Jahre (1982) - 8/10 [Thanks, sol, for the recommendation]

Traveller

Post by Traveller » February 1st, 2020, 7:45 am

Great start into the new year (decade). I’ve seen a lot of good movies, including two new favorites. They were movies I’ve wanted to see for a long time, which coincided with the 1000<400 list I’ve focused on. Also, Malick’s new movie turned out to be my favorite of last year (so far).

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (2000)
Happy End (1967)
Buddha Collapsed Out of Shame (2007)
The Inhuman Woman (1924)
The Incident (1967)
Eden and After (1970)
Twilight (1990)
Pharaoh (1966)
Final Cut: Ladies and Gentlemen (2012)
The Parallel Street (1962)
Rapture (1965)
A Hidden Life (2019)
Grass: A Nation's Battle for Life (1925)
ICM
February Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer » February 1st, 2020, 1:50 pm

Idaho Transfer (Peter Fonda, 1973)
Ghostbusters (Ivan Reitman, 1984)
Addams Family Values (Barry Sonnenfeld, 1993)
The Pleasure of Being Robbed (Josh Safdie, 2008)
Revolt (Joe Miale, 2017)
Gräns/Border (Ali Abbasi, 2018)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey & Rodney Rothman, 2018)
In the Shadow of the Moon (Jim Mickle, 2019)
The Report (Scott Z. Burns, 2019)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 1st, 2020, 1:53 pm

Saw 62 films in January, the following were great:

9s
Hyènes (1992, Djibril Diop Mambéty)
8.5s
Honeyland (2019, Tamara Kotevska & Ljubomir Stefanov)
Prospero's Books (1991, Peter Greenaway)
Utazás a koponyám körül / Trip Around My Cranium (1970, György Révész)
8s
Pasáz (1997, Juraj Herz)
The Baby of Mâcon (1993, Peter Greenaway)
Pension pro svobodné pány / Boarding House for Bachelors (1968, Jirí Krejcík)
The Falls (1980, Peter Greenaway)
Hmyz (2018, Jan Svankmajer)
Joker (2019, Todd Phillips)
Catherine de Heilbronn (1980, Eric Rohmer)
Nie lubie poniedzialku / I Hate Mondays (1971, Tadeusz Chmielewski)
The Irishman (2018, Martin Scorsese)
Le théâtre des matières (1977, Jean-Claude Biette)
Kopytem sem, kopytem tam / A Hoof Here, a Hoof There (1989, Vera Chytilová)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 1st, 2020, 2:14 pm

Somebody's jumped on the Makhmalbaf train hard :cheers:

A good start for me, though #1 alone isn't enough to make it a GREAT start to the year -

1. Little Women (Greta Gerwig) (2 viewings, cinema)
2. Zhavoronok / The Sky-Lark (Ersian Abdrahmanov) (short)

3. O fovos / The Fear (Kostas Manoussakis, 1966)
4. World of Tomorrow Episode Two: The Burden of Other People's Thoughts (Don Hertzfeldt, 2017) (short)
5. O drakos / The Ogre of Athens (Nikos Koundouros, 1956)
6. Ghost (Takeshi Ito, 1984) (short)

7. Five (Arch Oboler, 1951)
8. To teleftaio psemma / A Matter of Dignity (Michael Cacoyannis, 1958)
9. To koritsi me ta mavra / A Girl in Black (Michael Cacoyannis, 1956)
10. Ilektra (Michael Cacoyannis, 1962)

other good stuff that I might remember for more than a week:

The Big Night (Joseph Losey, 1951)
The Bloody Olive (Vincent Bal, 1997)
Edge of the City (Martin Ritt, 1957)
Einleitung zu Arnold Schoenbergs Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielscene / Introduction to Arnold Schoenberg's Accompaniment to a Cinematic Scene (Jean-Marie Straub, 1973) (short)
Gambling House (Ted Tetzlaff, 1950)
Istoria mias kalpikis liras / The Counterfeit Coin (Yorgos Tzavellas, 1955)
Jack Frost (Ub Iwerks et al, 1934)
Spacy (Takashi Ito, 1981) (short)
The Stone Tape (Peter Sasdy, 1972)
Uncut Gems (Benny & Josh Safdie, 2019) (cinema)

The Best and the Worst:

Deadly Prey (David A. Prior, 1987)

Director of the month:

Greta Gerwig
Last edited by OldAle1 on February 1st, 2020, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RBG

Post by RBG » February 1st, 2020, 3:01 pm

top five

homeland iraq: year zero (fahdel 2015)
vitalina varela (costa 2019)
joker (murugan 2016)
the human bullet (okamoto 1968)
après mai (assayas 2012)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 1st, 2020, 3:14 pm

4.5* - It Comes [Kuru] by Tetsuya Nakashima (2018)

Nakashima doing horror, it's a sight to behold. The man can't stick to a single genre it seems, then again everything he touches turns to cinematic gold, so who am I to complain. Intriguing, beautifully shot, smartly structured and with a long finale that dazzles for almost 30 minutes. This is another masterpiece.

4.0* - Adoration by Fabrice du Welz (2019)

Quite ominous, slightly fantastical, somewhat dramatic. Fabrice du Welz' latest films is a lot of things, even then it's quite hard to qualify and slap a few labels on it. Not that it matters when the result is this impressive of course. Beautifully stylized, wonderfully acted and sporting a perfect ending, this is another du Welz classic.

4.0* - Hard-Core [Hado Koa] by Nobuhiro Yamashita (2018)

I'm not a big Yamashita fan, but this mix of absurd comedy and social drama is quite something else. It kept me guessing from start to finish, it held quite a few positive surprises and the ending is simply perfect, even though it doesn't really resolve anything. Hard-Core is a very pleasant surprise, though I'm sure it's not for everyone.

4.0* - Deerskin [Le Daim] by Quentin Dupieux (2019)

Think Audition, because the first half is just a little underwhelming. There is some measure of absurdity present, but it feels a little tame and manageable. Then things spiral well out of control during the second half, which makes it all the more fun. Well acted and crazy, probably the most doofy serial killer flick ever.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 1st, 2020, 4:23 pm

Only 24 movies for me in January.

The Best:
The Emigrants/The New Land
The Last of Sheila

The Worst:
Os Verdes Anos

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » February 1st, 2020, 6:26 pm

Une Corde un Colt... / Cimitero Senza Croci (1969, Robert Hossein)
[♪ I swore a vow on my dyin’ breath
to ride a trail that ends in death
and death could strike with a frightening jolt of a lightning bolt in
the land where the rope and the colt are king
♪]

La Donna del Lago (1965, Luigi Bazzoni & Franco Rossellini)
[oneiric psychosexual crime mystery]

Nirvana (1997, Gabriele Salvatores)
[cross-cultural शून्यता-mysticism memory-exploration games-escape-themed cyberpunk]

Duck Duck (2019, Harmony Korine)
[oneiric AR fun]

Circle World (2019, cyriak)
[cyriak™]

Ken Ishii - Bells of New Life (2019, Yuichi Kodama)
[genesis]

What Did Jack Do? (2016/17/20, David Lynch)
[ambient-industrial idiom-teaching monkey-heartbreak crime mystery dialogue]

Gucci Cruise 2020 (2019, Harmony Korine)
[cocaine]

¡Mátalo! (1970, Cesare Canevari)
[magic realism spaghetti western]

Django (1966, Sergio Corbucci)
[action spaghetti western]

J'ai Perdu Mon Corps (2019, Jérémy Clapin)
[limb-survival existential romance drama]

The Hungover Games (2014, Josh Stolbrg)
[parody film]

Vincent Gallo as Flying Christ (1981, Michael Holman)
[Vincent Gallo as Flying Christ]

IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » February 2nd, 2020, 12:44 am

Had a pretty sweet month. Best ones I saw were:

1. Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974)
2. Angels in America (2003)
3. Sea of Love (1989)
4. Uncut Gems (2019)
5. The Art of Self-Defense (2019)
6. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)
7. The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open (2019)

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 2nd, 2020, 3:59 pm

ninjas-r-cool's best review ever, which doesn't seem to be on IMDB anymore:
Ya know what I really like? Go on, have a guess... I'll give you a clue. It's not people who report harmless movie reviews. Can't stand them. Bunch of weak-minded individuals, who never matured into adulthood, still looking for Mummy to protect them from things they don't like. Nope, definitely not that.

Give up? I'll tell you then. I like when a movie does exactly what it says on the cover! It's not a necessity of course. Happiness is full of miserable bastards, but it's still a kickass flick. Still, it was a pleasure to press Play on The Pig *beep* ing Movie and discover that it involves pig *beep* ing. Yep, a pig gets *beep* ed alright.

(Note: When I say 'pig', I'm not using the word as an insult for a loathsome human being, like say the kind of person so bloated with self-importance that they feel their own personal morals should be accepted as universal, and that they have a natural right to have their piddling little feelings protected from any kind of affront, and thus go around reporting IMDb posts that offend them. No, I mean an actual pig. A four-legged walking slab of bacon. Just thought I'd clear that up to avoid any confusion.)

So, the movie starts and the most immediately noticable aspect is the extremely grainy picture. I'm guessing the director was going for a grungy, arthouse feel. Either that or they had trouble getting funding for The Pig *beep* ing Movie, but I don't see how that could happen. There's also some rather strange, medieval-style music playing. The sort of score you'd expect to hear in a children's fantasy flick. Don't let that fool you though - The Pig *beep* ing Movie is in fact not suitable for kids. Although, I suppose if a parent did show this movie to their child, then that child would have more concerning issues in their life than any potential distress caused by a movie. Namely the issue of having sh!t parents (which, incidentally, is a highly damaging societal problem, as opposed to harmless behaviour like chatting about dirty movies on an internet forum. Ya gettin' the hint yet?)

The camera opens on our main (ie, only) character playing with some pigeons. For a second, I was worried that I'd accidentally put on The Pigeon *beep* ing Movie instead of The Pig *beep* ing Movie - an easy mistake to make. Not that it would matter either way, because I really just wanted to watch some filth and pigeon *beep* ing ain't that much different to pig *beep* ing. Except of course that you have to wrap pigeons in duct tape first to prevent them exploding upon insertion, but it's still basically the same thing. Fortunately the movie soon cuts to our charming pervert lovingly fondling some pig nipples, so I knew I had the right movie.

A quick word of warning here: The movie features an early scene of a chicken being decapitated for real. So any PETA members and animal lovers in general might want to give it a wide berth. See, I'm nice like that; warning away anyone for whom their personal principles will clash with a film's content. Perhaps it was a redundant warning because most PETA members wouldn't watch The Pig *beep* ing Movie anyway, but still, it's the thought that counts.

Anyway, the dude watches animals *beep* ing, decides he likes the look of it and so naturally *beep* s a pig in a fairly non-graphic scene accompanied by some truly odd sound effects. The pig gives birth to some little manpig babies and... I'll stop there. Let's face it, you already know from the title if you want to watch The Pig *beep* ing Movie, so I don't really need to go into plot details too much.

Ultimately, this is a curiosity piece more than anything. Aside from the general weirdness, it does offer a rather bleak view of life. Early scenes of the pig munching away on grass while casually taking a sh!t, show a creature happier than... well, a pig in sh!t. A pig's life is easy and carefree. Being a human is much more difficult. It's only when the pig has human feelings of hopelessness and loss forced onto it that it's life becomes infected with sadness. Sentience, conscience, morality, self-awareness and all the other things that separate humans from the animals bring with it a host of simple indignities. Like putting thought and effort into a movie review only to have some gutless weakling erase it with the push of a button, simply because their ego tells them that they're a self-appointed moral guardian put on earth to protect everyone from nasty-wasty words under the assumption that other people's minds are as childlike and fragile as their own. That's life, I guess!

If you plan on watching this, then don't expect brilliance. Expect pig *beep* ing.
my top 3 FTVs for the month-

La ville des pirates (1983) City of Pirates 9
Variola Vera (1982) 8
Gospodin oformitel (1987) Mister Designer 8

some stronger 7s-
Konec srpna v Hotelu Ozone (1967)End of August at the Hotel Ozone
The Enchanted (1984)
The Medusa Touch (1978)

most enjoyable rewatches-
Shin Gojira (2016) Shin Godzilla 8
Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982) 8
Quatermass 2 (1957) 8

viktor-vaudevillain

Post by viktor-vaudevillain » February 3rd, 2020, 12:42 pm

1. Yella (Christian Petzold, 2007)
2. Dusty Stacks of Mom: The Poster Project (Jodie Mack, 2013)
3. Horse Money (Pedro Costa, 2014)
4. Schlafkrankheit (Ulrich Köhler, 2011)
5. The Young Girls of Rochefort (Jacques Demy, 1967)
6. Water and Power (Pat O'neill, 1989)
7. In My Room (Ulrich Köhler, 2018)
8. The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)
9. A Burning Hot Summer (Philip Garrel, 2011)
10. The Ornithologist (João Pedro Rodrigues, 2016)
11. Scissere (Peter Mettler, 1982)
12. 4:44 Last Day on Earth (Abel Ferrara, 2011)
13. Pauline at the Beach (Éric Rohmer, 1983)
14. Serious Games 1-4 (Harun Farocki, 2010)
15. Baby Face (Alfred E. Green, 1933)

HM's: There's Always Tomorrow (Douglas Sirk, 1956), They Live (John Carpenter, 1988), Wings (Larisa Shepitko, 1966), Dyketactics (Barbara Hammer, 1976), La Pieuvre (Jean Painlevè, 1928), Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig, 2017), The Fourth Watch (Janie Geiser, 2000), In Chris Marker's Studio (Agnés Varda, 2011), Suzaki Paradise: Red Light (Yuzo Kawashima, 1956)
not everything is fish, but fish are teeming everywhere

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » February 3rd, 2020, 3:56 pm

Out of 53 ftv the first month of this new decade this were my favs:

1. The Docks of New York (Josef von Sternberg, 1928) :: 8.5
2. Lonely Are the Brave (David Miller, 1962) :: 8.5
3. Intimni osvetleni [Intimate Lighting] (Ivan Passer, 1965) :: 8.2
4. Medea (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1969) :: 8.2
5. Antoine et Colette (François Truffaut, 1962) :: 8.0
6. Sanatorium pod klepsydra [The Hourglass Sanatorium] (Wojciech Has, 1973) :: 8.0
7. Rekopis znaleziony w Saragossie [The Saragossa Manuscript] (Wojciech Has,1965) :: 8.0

HMs:
1917 (Sam Mendes, 2019), Altered States (Ken Russell, 1980),Crash (David Cronenberg, 1996), Le dernier combat (Luc Besson, 1983),Domicile conjugal (François Truffaut, 1970), Liberté (Albert Serra, 2019), Uncut Gems (Safdie Bros 2019) :: 7.8