Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

2020 Oscar nominations and discussion

flavo5000

Re: 2020 Oscar nominations and discussion

Post by flavo5000 » January 15th, 2020, 4:44 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 4:36 pm
Give the prize to I Lost My Body! :thumbsup: (I know, never gonna happen...probably gonna be Toy Story 4)
When movies like I Lost My Body, Anomalisa, Studio Ghibli films or Cartoon Saloon films show up in the Best Animated category, I'm just happen they even get nominated. Hell, there was even the time Spirited Away, a Ghibli film, won. Granted it was not up against any Pixar (Disney had Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet nominated that year...not the greatest competition), but still...

albajos

Post by albajos » January 15th, 2020, 5:22 pm

It's a closed event for the few. Mr. moneybags wins.

And foreign animated movies don't see the point with the awards.
Let the movies speak for themselves and we would get a whole other nomination list.

Wonderful Rainbow

Post by Wonderful Rainbow » January 16th, 2020, 5:46 am

Got a Netflix password from a friend just to see American Factory which is one of the doc nominees and found to be really good. I always find it surprising how and where filmmakers get to shoot and how they get people to open up for the camera.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » January 18th, 2020, 9:21 am

Wonderful Rainbow wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 5:46 am
Got a Netflix password from a friend just to see American Factory which is one of the doc nominees and found to be really good. I always find it surprising how and where filmmakers get to shoot and how they get people to open up for the camera.
It was way too cynical for my liking. Really neither side comes out looking good, and I really don't know what the point that the filmmakers were trying to make.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » January 18th, 2020, 9:38 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 9:21 am
Wonderful Rainbow wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 5:46 am
It was way too cynical for my liking. Really neither side comes out looking good, and I really don't know what the point that the filmmakers were trying to make.
I don't know that it was trying to make a specific point/take a side, rather it was showing a new reality of global capitalism and illustrating the relationship between USA and China through a microcosm. I thought it was fascinating.

Watched 3 of the doc nominees and all v good - others:
For Sama a very personal account of Syrian civil war
The Edge of Democracy -also on Netflix- an essay history of Brazilian politics over the last few decades particularly on the takedown of Lula and Roussef)

Would be happy with any of them three winning.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » January 19th, 2020, 10:37 am

Going to make an effort to try to watch as many of the nominees as possible (I don't normally do this). Seen 10 so far (Once Upon a Time, Little Women, Marriage Story, Pain and Glory, Toy Story 4, Knives Out, I Lost My Body, Klaus, Rocketman, The Lion King). Going to see Jojo Rabbit at the cinema tonight and 1917 at the cinema next weekend.

Still got four to watch on Netflix and a few coming out in the UK in the cinema over the next couple of weeks. Will look for streams for the rest.

Planning to search for the shorts today.

I echo the positive comments about I Lost My Body. Hope more people check it out because of the nomination.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » January 19th, 2020, 4:17 pm

1917 won PGA last night.. I guess Sol is right, it's probably the frontrunner now. For the record, Toy Story won animated and Apollo 11 won Doc. PGAs have correctly guessed the Oscar BP winner 21/30 times in their history.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 19th, 2020, 4:22 pm

that means they are 30% wrong. Not exactly reliable

fear of 13

Post by fear of 13 » January 20th, 2020, 9:53 am

Screen Actors Guild Awards make history as 'Parasite' claims its top prize

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/19/ente ... index.html

Other winners were Phoenix, Garland, Pitt and Dern as expected.

Looks like no acting surprises this year?

albajos

Post by albajos » January 20th, 2020, 9:59 am

Judy Garland won? I would call that a surprise

Zellwegger on the other hand

fear of 13

Post by fear of 13 » January 20th, 2020, 10:01 am

Oh lol, what a slip of the tongue.

She really did disappear into that role though!

sebby

Post by sebby » January 20th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Pitt was surely the lead in OUATIH, no? Or am I remembering incorrectly.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 20th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Well, Stone was the lead in Favourite, but Colman got nominated as the lead and Stone and Weisz as supporting. For esemble casts the studio can send in their suggestions to the title they seem fit (and better their chances)

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 21st, 2020, 3:14 am

sebby wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 12:37 pm
DiCaprio was the lead, but I'd say Pitt was co-leads. People (voters and/or people in charge of submissions) seem to hate films having two leads of the same gender, probably because then they compete against each other for awards.

sebby

Post by sebby » January 21st, 2020, 6:06 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 3:14 am
sebby wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 12:37 pm
DiCaprio was the lead, but I'd say Pitt was co-leads. People (voters and/or people in charge of submissions) seem to hate films having two leads of the same gender, probably because then they compete against each other for awards.
Interesting. Leo naturally just felt like banana #2 in that film. Co-leads I can buy, I guess.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » February 5th, 2020, 6:07 pm

International
Corpus Christi (Poland)
Honeyland (North Macedonia)
Les Miserables (France)
Pain & Glory (Spain)
Parasite (South Korea)

Have seen all except for Les Miserables.
All 4 good movies but Parasite will definitely take the cake, and it's deserved for sure.
Honeyland is a very strong documentary and one with a very unusual story.
Corpus Christi has some good moments and Pain & Glory is although not his best, still a decent Almodovar.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 8th, 2020, 5:15 pm

My Predictions:

Picture: 1917
Director: Mendes (Biggest chance of an upset here. If Mendes doesn't win it, it'll probably be Bong)
Actor: Phoenix
S. Actor: Pitt
Actress: Zellwegger
S. Actress: Dern
Foreign: Parasite
Original Screenplay: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Adapted: Little Women
Animated Feature: Toy Story 4
Animated Short: Hair Love
Doc Feature: American Factory
Doc Short: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You Are a Girl)
Live Action Short: The Neighbor's Window
Score: Joker
Song: I'm Gonna Love Me Again (Rockeman)
Sound Editing: Ford v Ferrari
Sound Mixing: 1917
Production Design: Parasite
Cinematography: 1917
Makeup/Hairstyling: Bombshell
Costume: Little Women
Film Editing: Ford v Ferrari
Visual Effects: Avengers: Endgame

albajos

Post by albajos » February 8th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Yes, seems it will follow the Globes on all of them. I just hope Klaus wins animated since it is something fresh and new. Toy Story 4 bored me, exactly the same lessons we have had in 3 movies already.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 8th, 2020, 5:36 pm

I hope you are right about Gerwig winning, but the hot money seems to be on Waititi now.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 9th, 2020, 2:05 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 5:15 pm
My Predictions:
I'm getting the same general vibes as you, but with some differences, which I've noted in blue.

Picture: 1917
Director: Mendes
Actor: Phoenix
S. Actor: Pitt
Actress: Zellwegger
S. Actress: Dern
Foreign: Parasite
Original Screenplay: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I'm thinking 1917 at the moment. Co-written by a woman, and only two films since Million Dollar Baby have won Best Picture without also winning Best Screenplay
Adapted: Little Women
Animated Feature: Toy Story 4
Animated Short: Hair Love
Doc Feature: American Factory I don't know much about this one, but I would have thought that For Sama (from a female filmmaker too) would be the biggest contender
Doc Short: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You Are a Girl) I've gone for St. Louis Superman here, but these categories are really hard to predict
Sound Editing: Ford v Ferrari I would be surprised if 1917 didn't win this too
Production Design: Parasite Certainly possible, but I have 1917 ahead the moment; though I could really see any of the nominees win this hard-to-predict one
Film Editing: Ford v Ferrari Certainly possible, but a Thelma Schoonmaker win would make sense if the voters go all pro-female this year
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » February 9th, 2020, 2:11 am

War movies usually win for best sound if nominated

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 9th, 2020, 3:37 am

sol wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 2:05 am
Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 5:15 pm
My Predictions:
I'm getting the same general vibes as you, but with some differences, which I've noted in blue.
Original Screenplay: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I'm thinking 1917 at the moment. Co-written by a woman, and only two films since Million Dollar Baby have won Best Picture without also winning Best Screenplay
Of the "Majors" the two writing categories are the ones I'm most unsure about, and really should've looked more into before making my final predictions. I wouldn't be surprised if a few different films won this one, as well as the Adapted Screenplay.
Doc Feature: American Factory I don't know much about this one, but I would have thought that For Sama (from a female filmmaker too) would be the biggest contender
This one I'm actually fairly confident in, even if For Sama would be my personal choice.
Doc Short: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You Are a Girl) I've gone for St. Louis Superman here, but these categories are really hard to predict
Shorts are almost impossible to predict. Learning to Skateboard reminded me a lot of last year's winner, Period. End of Sentence, which is why I'm picking it. It's probably between St. Louis Superman and Learning to Skateboard. I don't see any of the others winning.
Sound Editing: Ford v Ferrari I would be surprised if 1917 didn't win this too
Production Design: Parasite Certainly possible, but I have 1917 ahead the moment; though I could really see any of the nominees win this hard-to-predict one
Film Editing: Ford v Ferrari Certainly possible, but a Thelma Schoonmaker win would make sense if the voters go all pro-female this year
I'm not really all that confident in any of my technical predictions. If my predictions fall flat, this is where it's going to go wrong.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 9th, 2020, 4:19 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 3:37 am
Of the "Majors" the two writing categories are the ones I'm most unsure about, and really should've looked more into before making my final predictions. I wouldn't be surprised if a few different films won this one, as well as the Adapted Screenplay.
Oh yeah - totally. With Best Picture, Director and the four acting awards locked up, the Screenplay categories are where things could get interesting.

I don't see Knives Out winning Best Original Screenplay, but I think the other four all stand a chance. Tarantino's hard to know whether to predict given that his non-WGA membership meant that he didn't compete for that particular precursor. And then Parasite won the WGA and BAFTA. I wouldn't be surprised if either of these won, but I wouldn't be surprised about 1917 either, especially if the film sweeps. I don't know if it will; it certainly won't nab Best Score with all the hullabaloo about awarding a female composer for Joker, but I could even see Visual Effects and Makeup going its way.

I think Greta Gerwig won the Adapted Screenplay Oscar from the moment she missed out on a Best Director nod. I love Jojo Rabbit, but the film is quite divisive, so I don't see it pulling through. It's possible though, and it is certainly more possible than any of the acting frontrunners being knocked out.
Nathan Treadway wrote:
This one I'm actually fairly confident in, even if For Sama would be my personal choice.
The Gold Derby odds support that too. I probably should try reading more up about American Factory before finalising my predictions.
Nathan Treadway wrote:
I'm not really all that confident in any of my technical predictions. If my predictions fall flat, this is where it's going to go wrong.
I feel the same way. I was lucky last year and predicted 75% of the winners correctly because I went with my gut and correctly pegged Black Panther as winning Score, Art Direction and Costume Design, which many others didn't.

The categories that I feel least certain about this year are:
- Costumes: could go either Little Women or Once's way
- Editing: everything except for Jojo stands a chance here
- Makeup: really hard to predict against Judy and 1917
- Visual effects: could see any of them winning
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 9th, 2020, 11:31 am

Managed to see Parasite yesterday to complete most of the main nominees, just a few acting ones to see.

Personal rank:
1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
2. Parasite
3. Marriage Story
4. The Irishman
5. Little Women
6. 1917
7. Joker
8. Ford v Ferrari
9. Jojo Rabbit

Predictions/wishes:

BP: 1917/Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (would be happy for any of Irishman, Marriage Story, Parasite, Little Women too)
Director: Bong/Tarantino (again would be happy with Bong or Scorsese too)

Actor: Phoenix/Banderas (Phoenix deserves to win one, but I would've preferred for Master)
Actress: Johansson/Johansson (this is a punt, sounds like Zellweger strong favourite but I fancy one surprise in the acting & maybe Scarlett being nominated twice, they'll reward her in one. Haven't seen Judy, Bombshell or Harriet)
Supp. Actor: Pitt/Pitt (haven't seen Beautiful Day)
Supp. Actress: Dern/Dern (long overdue)

Orig Screenplay: Once Upon a Time/Marriage Story
Adap. Screenplay: Little Women/Little Women
Cinematography: 1917/The Lighthouse (happy with any other than Joker here)

Editing: Parasite/Parasite
Visual Effects: 1917/1917
Prod. Design: 1917/Once Upon a Time
Score: Joker/1917
Sound Editing:1917/?
Sound Mixing: 1917/?
Costumes: Once Upon a Time/?
Make Up:Bombshell/?

Animated: Toy Story 4/I Lost My Body
International: Parasite/Pain & Glory (not seen Les Miserables or Corpus Christi)
Documentary: Honeyland/For Sama (not seen The Cave)

skipping the shorts & songs.

--

Overall 1917 looks strong for at least 5 but Parasite in with a shot, so I've gone with Bong instead of Mendes as Director. Looks like Irishman might be another Gangs of New York for Scorsese (10 noms/0 wins). Little Women and Jojo Rabbit also in danger of going home empty handed. Adapted Screenplay will be the saviour for one of those three.
Last edited by brokenface on February 9th, 2020, 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 9th, 2020, 11:44 am

I was gonna watch Ford v Ferrari to complete the BP nominees but I've had zero desire to watch it so I'm leaving it for now. Main category rankings, unseen ones unranked at bottom:

Best Picture
1. Joker
2. 1917
3. Jojo Rabbit
4. Marriage Story
5. Parasite
6. Little Women
7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
8. The Irishman
Ford v Ferrari

Director
1. Todd Phillips (Joker)
2. Sam Mendes (1917)
3. Bong Joon-ho (Parasite)
4. Quentin Tarantino (OUATIH)
5. Martin Scorsese (Irishman)

Actor
1. Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
2. Adam Driver (Marriage Story)
3. Leonardo DiCaprio (OUATIH)
Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory)
Jonathan Pryce (Two Popes)

Actress
1. Scarlet Johansson (Marriage Story)
2. Saoirse Ronan (Little Women)
Cynthia Erivo (Harriet)
Charlize Theron (Bombshell)
Renee Zellweger (Judy)

S. Actor
1. Brad Pitt (OUATIH)
2. Joe Pesci (Irishman)
3. Al Pacino (Irishman)
Tom Hanks (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood)
Anthony Hopkins (Two Popes)

S. Actress
1. Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
2. Scarlett Johannson (Jojo Rabbit)
3. Florence Pugh (Little Women)
Kathy Bates (Richard Jewell)
Margot Robbie (Bombshell)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 9th, 2020, 2:55 pm

OK I'm not going to make predictions, I think Nathan and sol in particular have covered that pretty well and given my past performances in various Oscar predictions games going back to the 1980s, I remain TERRIBLE at guessing when it's not super-obvious that there's a front runner. My own picks:

PICTURE

1. Little Women

2. The Irishman

3. Marriage Story
4. Gisaengchung
5. 1917

6. Jojo Rabbit
7. Ford v Ferrari
8. Joker

9. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

DIRECTOR:
1. Martin Scorsese
2. Bong Joon-ho
3. Sam Mendes
4. QT
5. Todd Phillips

ACTRESS:

1. Scarlett Johansson
2. Saoirse Ronan
3. Renée Zelwegger

ACTOR

1. Adam Driver
2. Antonio Banderas
3. Joaquin Phoenix
4. Leonardo DiCaprio

SUP ACTRESS

1. Florence Pugh
2. Scarlett Johansson
3. Kathy Bates
4. Laura Dern

SUP ACTOR

1. Tom Hanks
2. Joe Pesci
3. Al Pacino
4. Brad Pitt

ORIG SCREENPLAY - Knives Out, Rian Johnson
ADAP SCREENPLAY - Little Women, Greta Gerwig
INT FILM - Dolor y gloria (only 2 seen though)
ANIM FEATURE - J'ai perdu mon corps (also only 2 seen but in this case I'm confident of my choice anyway)
DOC FEATURE - none seen!

I don't expect the Academy to mirror my choices, it rarely does, but if Gerwig wins the award she's up for I'll be a little happy anyway. Otherwise, ehh. Nothing as purely dull and obvious as Green Book, and nothing as horrible as Bohemian Rhapsody in the mix this year so we're already ahead of the game IMO.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » February 9th, 2020, 3:26 pm

I've watched everything from all the major awards (just missing some docs and live action shorts), so I thought I'd throw my predictions out there. Most of them I think are pretty similar to what others have been saying:

Best Picture: 1917 (wouldn't surprise me if Parasite or Once Upon A Time In Hollywood)
Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix (I don't see anyone else winning this even though I'd be totally ok with Adam Driver winning though. He was great in Marriage Story)
Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt (This is probably the closest to a sure thing. Pitt's never gotten it and he was great in Once Upon A Time).
Best Actress: Renee Zellweger (Aside from Pitt, this is also pretty much a sure thing but you never know. could have a repeat of last year where Glenn Close was favored to win but lost to Coleman. It could go to ScarJo or Charlize Theron if not Zellweger).
Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern (Dern seems to be favored but this is a strong category in general. I could see ScarJo, Robbie or Pugh winning instead.)
Best Animated Feature: Toy Story 4 (Disney's usually got this category in the bag. If anyone else gets it, Missing Link maybe to mirror the Golden Globes but it still seems unlikely).
Best Cinematography: 1917 (This one is Roger Deakins' to lose. It probably won't win, but The Lighthouse had excellent cinematography)
Best Costume Design: Little Women (If Little Women gets anything, I think it'll be this one. The Academy definitely has a thing for frilly costumes. Alternatively I could see Once Upon A Time getting it as well. Hollywood does love its nostalgia).
Best Directing: Sam Mendes, 1917 (The Academy loves to reward showy, long takes for directing especially. For examples just in recent years, see Roma, The Revenant, Birdman, and Gravity. Parasite had excellent directing to but I doubt it'll win.)
Best Documentary: American Factory (It's by far the most well known and accessible in this category and is produced by the Obamas which Hollywood loves. For Sama might be an alternative solely for the content which tends to be very Oscar-y but my money's still on American Factory).
Best Doc Short: No Idea. I haven't watched any of these and more than likely most of the Oscar voters haven't either so it's a crap shoot :shrug:
Best Film Editing: The Irishman (I think if Parasite gets anything other than best picture, it might be here or screenplay. But I think The Irishman may be getting it as a kind of career capper for Thelma even though I personally think the movie wasn't really edited that well. But I mean, Bohemian Rhapsody won this last year so the Academy obviously doesn't reward actual good editing).
Best international Film: Parasite (This one's another lock unless they give Best Picture to Parasite but honestly even if it did get Best Picture, it'd probably still get this too).
Best Makeup & Hairstyling: Bombshell (I think this one will get it for Theron's transformation in to Megyn Kelly and Lithgow's grotesquely accurate Roger Ailes. The Academy loves these kind of roles like Bale in Vice and Oldman in Darkest Hour. Making famous actors look old, fat and gross is kind of the Academy's jam).
Best Score: Joker (Hildur Guðnadóttir deserves it for a really good score here but who knows? The Academy might succumb to nostalgia once again and feel like giving it to John Williams one more time)
Best Song:(I'M GONNA) LOVE ME AGAIN from Rocketman (Honestly it's not one of Sir Elton's better songs but given the context I think it's the most closely associated to the movie of any of the nominees. If anything else gets it, I'd probably go with Frozen II just for the Disney hype machine)
Best Production Design: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (I think Once Upon A Time will get this one for it's lavish recreations of period era Hollywood. Cuz the only thing the Academy loves more than war pics is themselves.)
Best Animated Short: Hair Love (It's cute, sentimental and has the diversity angle going for it. I personally thought Memorable was best of the bunch myself but it really doesn't have a chance here. If anything else might get it, it'd be Kitbull from Pixar because it's also cute and sentimental)
Best Live Action Short: No idea here either. Might as well roll some dice. I might guess The Neighbor's Window solely because the director has an American name and the Academy is notoriously xenophobic.
Best Sound Editing: 1917 (war movies usually get this one although if anything else gets it, it'd be ford v Ferrari)
Best Sound Mixing:1917 (since there's no music-based movie here, I'm guessing 1917 again because the Academy doesn't seem to know the difference between these two awards. Although I really think Ford v Ferrari might deserve this one for its great sense of putting you in the driver's seat during the races).
Best Visual Effects: The irishman (I think the Academy will be suitably impressed with the de-aging, especially since many of them are older white men and it offers a kind of vicarious what-if midlife crisis thrill for them, putting them into a Dorian Gray scenario and letting them imagine a world where they themselves could de-age as well. Otherwise maybe Endgame just for the sheer amount of CGI it piles on to cram every Marvel character ever into one massive movie)
Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit (The Academy likes to recognize the odd ducks in the screenplay categories usually. If not, Jojo then perhaps Little Women as a diversity measure)
Best Original Screenplay: Parasite (I think if Parasite wins anything outside International feature, it's this one as a kind of token for not getting Best Picture. If not Parasite then probably Tarantino will get it for consistency).

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 9th, 2020, 11:38 pm

The pre-game has started, get that popcorn popping! I've got vintage 1917 hard tack and 1940s steaks aged, then rejuvenated so they almost but don't quite look fresh again; maybe I should have based my dinner choices on Gisaengchung instead?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 9th, 2020, 11:44 pm

"Why did you choose to shoot this film in Korean, when you've made other films in English?"

Dumbest question of the night so far.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 9th, 2020, 11:47 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:44 pm
"Why did you choose to shoot this film in Korean, when you've made other films in English?"

I hope you’re already drinking a lot if you’re sitting through this vapid fluff, hehe.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 9th, 2020, 11:49 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:47 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:44 pm

I hope you’re already drinking a lot if you’re sitting through this vapid fluff, hehe.
Not yet. Doing other stuff, only half-watching. I'm a lightweight lately and if I drink too much starting now I could actually fall asleep during the awards. Since October I've been in a different zone, waking up early and often falling asleep by 10 (CST) so I have to pace myself.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 10th, 2020, 12:28 am

For those curious, or miss something, I'll keep the first post of this updated with the winners.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 10th, 2020, 1:00 am

Charlize Theron is apparently the opposite of Adam Driver in regard to watching herself onscreen. Interesting.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 10th, 2020, 1:18 am

OK no surprise here - and nice little speech Brad. And he's the third person to win awards for both producing and acting, after Michael Douglas and George Clooney.

Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T » February 10th, 2020, 1:37 am

I thought Klaus may upset Toy Story 4.

Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T » February 10th, 2020, 1:40 am

Parasite for Original Screenplay!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 10th, 2020, 1:46 am

So... no female winners for screenplay or direction for the whole decade. Yay equality, maybe in the next century.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 10th, 2020, 1:51 am

Well, with the exception of the writing awards, I'm perfect so far. #OscarsSoPredictable

Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T » February 10th, 2020, 1:52 am

Didn't Grewig won for Lady Bird a couple years ago?

Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T » February 10th, 2020, 1:53 am

You know what's interesting. No American men won best director last decade.