Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

2020 Oscar nominations and discussion

St. Gloede

Re: 2020 Oscar nominations and discussion

Post by St. Gloede » February 11th, 2020, 11:53 am

brokenface wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 8:17 am
Bafta has it all ways and has a specific best British film award as well as best film and best foreign language.
That is a really good compromise, and a reason to perhaps pay more attention to the Baftas.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 11th, 2020, 11:56 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 11:07 am
St. Gloede wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:51 am
We have talked a bit before about how the Academy is pretty much exclusively people well past their retirement age (and also pretty exclusively white men), but my fairly straightforward theory for why they are picking more and more daring/challenging films is because the 60, 70 and 80-year-old people of today were young in the 60s and 70s. With The Birdman and arguably The Artist, we got the first more experimental winners (by Academy standards) and now, for the first time, a foreign-language film has won. Pretty exciting times, as the Oscars are finally pretty unpredictable, especially as they still go for stuff like Green Book.

I doubt this really means they will start celebrating more and more exciting films though - they will always be the show where films that did well at the box office (but are not seen as "mainstream/lowbrow trash") competes for honours.

Re: Language debare:

On the one hand, it is great that the Academy may start awarding the "Best Film" trophy, and have a degree of positive change,

At the same time, American films will clearly always dominate, and we just have this added guessing game of "oh, ok, there's that one foreign language film again".

If the Oscar's had branded itself as something more akin to what it is, a celebrated of Hollywood or American films they could easily have kept it streamlined, and Best Foreign/International Film would have made sense (but then BAFTAs go to American and other foreign films all the time). So ... Yeah, this will be reality now. Maybe foreign films will be nominated more often, and maybe, at some point, within the next 2-3 decades, another one will win.
Being cynical, HBO planning to film Parasite as a TV series probably had a lot to do with the gongs. Turned it into a promotional exercise for the Hollywood machine.
There is essentially nothing to not be cynical about when it comes to the Oscar. :cheers:

And yes, great point. I'm not sure how much it affected the voters directly, but it probably greatly affected the studio push - which is sometimes everything.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 11th, 2020, 6:43 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 11:53 am
brokenface wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 8:17 am
Bafta has it all ways and has a specific best British film award as well as best film and best foreign language.
That is a really good compromise, and a reason to perhaps pay more attention to the Baftas.
Baftas has a couple of categories that are specific for local industry (best British film and best British debut director/writer), the rest is pretty much an Oscar mirror with usually slightly more Brits in the acting categories the only difference. Not too exciting

albajos

Post by albajos » February 14th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Don't know if anyone did this already

4 Gisaengchung
3 1917
2 Ford v Ferrari
2 Joker
2 Once Upon a Time ...in Hollywood
1 Bombshell
1 Jojo Rabbit
1 Judy
1 Little Women
1 Marriage Story
1 Rocketman
1 Toy Story 4
( and 1 american factory, learning to skateboard in a warzone, Hair Love, Neighbor's Window)

The Irishman only BP nominee not to win any awards

---

Personally I like it more when more movies share the awards to spread the love so to speak. A big winner just overshadows everything else, and sometimes like with Titanic which won no writing and acting awards, the movie are not something you would revisit. Well, 1997 was a weird year. As Good as It Gets and The Full Monty as best picture nominess? Good Will Hunting and LA Coinfidental as the dramatic ones. But I would watch any one of those 4 several times before I see Titanic again.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 10th, 2020, 2:30 pm

And then the guy made another video after actually watching Parasite, and he seemed to like it a lot, lol. What a clown.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 10th, 2020, 3:02 pm

I couldn't make it past two minutes of that video the last time it was posted. I found it childish and irritating as opposed to hilarious. Or perhaps I just wasn't in the mood. Not going to give it another go, but glad he actually ended up seeing the film. Don't know why I assumed he had already seen it before ranting, but I guess I gave him too much credit.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 10th, 2020, 3:06 pm

What is easily the best part is him praising Joker because the film shows how the upper class looks down on the poor.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » March 10th, 2020, 5:40 pm

That guy needs to be exterminated.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 10th, 2020, 6:03 pm

I'd like to believe that guy really doesn't represent the typical American in any way, or even the typical American white male, but sadly in the Trump era I'm afraid I might be wrong. And didn't Trump say something similar, actually?

America first indeed. First in astonishing levels of ignorance.