Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 5 released June 2nd)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1935 (Results), 1966 awards (Jun 9th)
Challenges: TSPDT, 1960s, China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
Film of the Week: Údolí vcel, July nominations (Jun 26th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

¶ SWAP: ユメノ銀河 / Labyrinth of Dreams (Ishii, 1997)

Perception de Ambiguity

¶ SWAP: ユメノ銀河 / Labyrinth of Dreams (Ishii, 1997)

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » November 26th, 2019, 4:16 am

~ Yume no ginga / Le labyrinthe des rêves (Sogo Ishii/石井岳龍/Gakuryu Ishii, 1997) ~

In a game of chicken nobody wins, but passion triumphs, when flesh and metal merge, post-crash the sex is so much bettrrr.

In this case it’s a world of bus drivers...and of bus conductors...who are slaves to the bus drivers. Let me tell you, do not ever become a conductor. E-v-e-r.
In this world conducting a bus is serious business, serious as a heart attack.

I don't remember which came first, non-rebellious James Dean entering her life, or her yearning for James Spader's Stuntman Mike.

Lonely, socially awkward Tomoko Tomiko is ready to live up to her name's meaning ("happiness child"), and dives head-first into the adventure of love, for she knows, following ones fate means to embark on a great adventure.

In this dream called life: telling our own story, telling ourselves how we died, but not why we died

And so, being the Tomikos that we are, we hurdle towards our fate, not like falling into a pool of stone water ("August in the Water" reference there, for the uninitiated), but like slowly rolling onto the rails of an oncoming train, letting it happen, neither knowingly nor obliviously. Rather the why of our accepting our fate eludes us because it lies in the lies that we tell ourselves about our intentions,...

...and by the time the obvious truth whistleblows in our face it is too late to put ourselves in reverse, not physically, not psychologically, not sociologically, not because of the constellation of circumstances that make up the present moment, but because of the interplay of all things, it's cosmological. And in the impending moments of the event you awaited for so long, you embrace the crash. Fighting it would feel wrong.

Nice yarn. Parts, anyway. I didn't like seein' James Dean go. But, then I happen to know that there's a little Stuntman Mike on the way. I guess that's the way the whole darnd human comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself down through the generations. Westward the wagons, across the sands of time until we - ah, look at me. I'm ramblin' again.

As for "2-459" (the number of the bus that here may be the number of completion - times two), I'm hoping for Carmel to have some suggestions for its possible meaning. It's his destiny.

dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

fori

Post by fori » November 26th, 2019, 8:12 am

What’s next, Electric Dragon 80.000 V? Gojoe would be better.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » November 26th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Dreams hang around her head in an opal haze, drawing moths, disrupting electronics, dissipating as glittery chunks are torn off by the wind
The reasons for most moths' positive phototaxis remain unknown. One possible theory is they use light (such as The Moon's reflection) for orientation, hence artificial lights disrupt their navigation, change their angles of flight, trap them in deadly loop-like trajectories around the light source, exerting unwavering, self-destructive attraction.

Niitaka arrives with a divine halo surrounding his head, his face too good-looking to be immediately revealed without any suspense. Of course he relishes the created anticipation and confusion, dazzling all the women in the little bus company, though only Tomiko clumsily falls down, needing his helping hand to stand back up, their hands joined over Tomiko's dead only friend's letters, sealing a pact. You son of a bitch, I'm in. At that moment fate converged all of Tomiko's inclinations, she saw in him, per rumour, the murderer she should uncover, and she also saw... a good-looking man, a solution to her loneliness. When days are ordered and ones social network sparse, desire takes its natural course.. the Stockholm Syndrome can be real, you may actually begin to love your bus driver.

Moths perceive ghosts in light. They flutter against lamps, burning, because behind the glass they see dead loved ones reaching for them
The letters are like Mircalla's Tsuyako's disembodied voice warning and signalling caution. The ghosts of dead friends, the string of Niitaka's victims, a conspiracy, perpetuating the message forward. You're in peril latching onto this man. No bus driver is ever perfect. Tires deflate, the roads can be tough, the dark enclosing walls increasingly stifle, freedom of movement curtailed, your vessel is now doomed to collision with the spectral train or tunnelling towards another incoming vehicle, terminating your lifetime. Can you find The Moon?

The moon is a boiling sphere of ghosts, the collision of millions of souls, minds trapped in the labyrinth of each other, an afterlife gravity well
Naturally Tomiko will carefully prod her lover and driver, but he stone-faced withholds all information, driving on. There's only one crossing, one moment during the journey, when she is in potential control, the navigator and assurer of safe passage. Would you rather die on someone else's terms, or on your own? And so the student becomes the master, realising that to find the crevice of escape from ones conditioned existence or bedevilled relationship, means letting fate take its course, that is: crashing.
There is no light at the end of the tunnel; there is only the infinite tunnel, crystal caterpillar carrying all your afterlives within

(All quotes by ctrlcreep)
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » November 27th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Nicely done, Carmel.

When Niitaka "arrives with a divine halo surrounding his head" Tomiko is blatantly equated to a moth, drawn to the light, losing focus of anything else, setting up her fall. The analogy hadn't occurred to me while watching the scene, especially since, from what I remember, there was no moth imagery until later into the film.

So, any ideas on the bus number?
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » November 27th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Perception de Ambiguity wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 1:04 pm
So, any ideas on the bus number?
Best not to think about it,

t o B e c o n t i n u e d

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 18th, 2020, 5:23 pm

The King Lear screencaps and quotations, and the ctrlcreep quotes, are very apt, thanks guys.

The night before last I watched this movie twice in a row, entranced. I fell in love with the cinema again (l)
SpoilerShow
The movie has only one murderer, that is to say Tomiko, although the confusion created by suggesting that there is a serial killer around is critical to the atmosphere. She commits the only murder, at the end of the movie. It is she who the author speaks of when he talks at the start about leaning on a lampost one night and wondering what is in the heart of a murderer.

Tomiko makes the mistake of leaving the welcome mat out to fatalism and erotomania, which enter through the nose and put their feet up. Human beings are not telepathic and Tomiko makes a rather common fantasy when she wonders if the object of her desire is literally a ladykiller, inscrutability is just inscrutability.
It feels like something Simenon would have written had he ever ventured to write a novel with Japanese. None of this of course conveys the sublimeness of the movie, which it's best to do with an artistic response like ctrlcreep.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » April 19th, 2020, 5:54 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 5:23 pm
The King Lear screencaps and quotations, and the ctrlcreep quotes, are very apt, thanks guys.

The night before last I watched this movie twice in a row, entranced. I fell in love with the cinema again (l)
SpoilerShow
The movie has only one murderer, that is to say Tomiko, although the confusion created by suggesting that there is a serial killer around is critical to the atmosphere. She commits the only murder, at the end of the movie. It is she who the author speaks of when he talks at the start about leaning on a lampost one night and wondering what is in the heart of a murderer.

Tomiko makes the mistake of leaving the welcome mat out to fatalism and erotomania, which enter through the nose and put their feet up. Human beings are not telepathic and Tomiko makes a rather common fantasy when she wonders if the object of her desire is literally a ladykiller, inscrutability is just inscrutability.
It feels like something Simenon would have written had he ever ventured to write a novel with Japanese. None of this of course conveys the sublimeness of the movie, which it's best to do with an artistic response like ctrlcreep.
Your description reminds me a bit of Lee Chang Dong's Burning

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 19th, 2020, 10:15 am

cinewest wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 5:54 am
matthewscott8 wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 5:23 pm

SpoilerShow

Your description reminds me a bit of Lee Chang Dong's Burning
Haven't seen it, I'll give it a go!

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » April 21st, 2020, 9:40 pm

Thanks for the rec Matt, this was something special.