Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, December nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

iCMFF19 - International

outdoorcats

iCMFF19 - International

Post by outdoorcats » November 9th, 2019, 1:50 am

Welcome to the 2019 iCheckMovies Film Festival!

Festival Dates: Nov. 9-Dec. 2

Please rate the films the films you've seen on a scale from 1-10 to help contribute to this year's Audience Award.
(Ratings are due by the end of day on December 2nd EST to be counted)

This is the thread where all users can rate and discuss the films in this year's three International sections. We're looking forward to everyone in the iCM Forum community taking part!

Anyone who watches all films in any one section can help jury that section.

International I: Europe

3/4 dir. Ilian Metev. 2017, 83 min. :imdb::ICM:
A film about seemingly nothing: a young boy clowns around with his friend, his older sister practices the piano and contemplates leaving her family and Bulgaria for college abroad, and their professor father gives life advice to one of his favorite students. It's not what it's about but how it's made, a gallery walk of evocative images and ambient sound.

Montparnasse Bienvenue dir. Léonor Serraille. 2017, 97 min. :imdb::ICM:
A recently homeless woman accustomed to a comfortable lifestyle struggles to get by in Paris in this generationally astute dramedy about downward mobility.

On Body and Soul dir. Ildikó Enyedi. 2017, 116 min. :imdb::ICM:
A visually gorgeous adult romance about loneliness and the struggle to connect, On Body and Soul follows two slaughterhouse workers who realize they are experiencing the same vivid dreams.

Quién te cantará dir. Carlos Vermut. 2018, 126 min. :imdb::ICM:
When a pop superstar suffers from almost complete amnesia, her agent brings in a superfan who resembles her to coach her into performing on stage again.

A Woman's Life dir. Stéphane Brizé. 2016, 119 min. :imdb::ICM:
A fragmented account of the life of Jeanne as she sets out on the path of adult life and gradually experiences the harsh realities of a woman's life in the 19th-century.

International II: Asia

Angels Wear White dir. Vivian Qu. 2017, 107 min. :imdb::ICM:
In a small seaside town, two schoolgirls are sexually assaulted by a middle-aged man in a motel. Mia, a teenager who was working on reception that night, is the only witness. For fear of losing her job, she chooses to keep silent.

An Elephant Sitting Still dir. Hu Bo. 2018, 230 min. :imdb::ICM:
The only feature film Hu completed before his tragic suicide at 29, this staggering and bleak epic charts four interconnected characters over the course of one very bad day.

Foxtrot dir. Samuel Maoz. 2017, 113 min. :imdb::ICM:
A troubled family must face the facts when something goes terribly wrong at their son's desolate military post.

Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts dir. Mouly Surya. 2017, 93 min. :imdb::ICM:
A feminist neo-western grindhouse film from Indonesia, in which the titular protagonist seeks revenge against a gang of thieves who try to take advantage of her newly widowed status.

International III: Latin America

El Amparo dir. Rober Calzadilla. 2016, 99 min. :imdb::ICM:
An intense and angry true story of two survivors of the massacre of a boat of fishermen, caught in a standoff between their local police chief and Venezuelan army forces as they face false accusations from the government and media of being guerrillas.

The Distinguished Citizen dir. Gastón Duprat and Mariano Cohn. 2016, 118 min. :imdb::ICM:
A recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature, who has been living in Europe for decades, accepts an invitation to return to his Argentine hometown to receive a prize in this crowd-pleasing dramedy.

Endless Poetry dir. Alejandro Jodorowsky. 2016, 128 min. :imdb::ICM:
Surrealist filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky tells the story of himself as a young man becoming a poet in Chile, befriending other artists, and freeing himself from the limits of his youth.

Our Time dir. Carlos Reygadas. 2018, 177 min. :imdb::ICM:
A family living in the Mexican countryside raising fighting bulls experiences a domestic crisis.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » November 9th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Have seen 4, and have a bead on two more. Anyone have a source for Elephant Sitting Still, Our Time, or 3/4?

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 9th, 2019, 6:45 pm

How important is it to watch Dance of Reality before Endless Poetry?
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

beavis

Post by beavis » November 9th, 2019, 9:25 pm

important is relative, but it is even better, so you should check it out
and it might be more logical to watch the auto-biographical tales from the beginning... but I think they work on their own too, or if you watch them a-chronologically

cinewest

Post by cinewest » November 10th, 2019, 2:37 am

Have seen 3 from this slate that are 3 of my favorites for their year, and 1 that was worthwhile but could have been a lot better.

The Distinguished Citizen had real promise as a black comedy / satire, but ultimately it wasn't imaginative enough, and thus fell short of distinguishing itself in any really memorable way. My rating is 6.6

While Angels Wear White has the feel of a young filmmaker not yet in full control of medium, this film has so much going for it, as well as so many memorable scenes, and cinematic understanding that I'll give it a 7.6

On Body and Soul is a very solid film that is a lot more interesting than its description, and very capably handled in every way, throughout. Perhaps just shy of an 8, for me. 7.8

Foxtrot is perhaps the plum of the festival so far, for me, and in many ways reminds me of a film by Farhadi. It is not only well conceived, scripted, directed, and acted, but emotionally powerful in its gestalt, which is why it probably stands above the rest at this moment. I'll call it an 8.6.

Really want to see An Elephant Sitting Still, 3/4, and Our Time, and if anyone knows of a good source, that would be much appreciated
Last edited by cinewest on November 13th, 2019, 3:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 10th, 2019, 2:52 am

We do take decimals! :)

fori

Post by fori » November 10th, 2019, 4:18 am

On Body and Soul: 8/10
Angels Wear White: 4/10
Serious stuff at play here, but mostly a formless blob, doesn’t deserve the heraldry it has accumulated.
An Elephant Sitting Still: 9/10
His books are great too!
Foxtrot: 5/10
Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts: 5/10
Endless Poetry: 7/10
Our Time: 8/10

Probably won’t do any more ratings. Really not my thing.

lynchs

Post by lynchs » November 10th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Internazionale,

Teströl és lélekröl (2017) 510 Kitschy over substance

Da xiang xi di er zuo (2018) 610 much ado about nothing

El Amparo (2016) 610 OK TV film

Nuestro tiempo (2018) 510 Reygadas being Malick

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 10th, 2019, 4:53 pm

All - I'm in charge of collecting ratings for the sections, so please keep a few things in mind to help make my life just a bit easier:

- Please use the English titles when noting your ratings
- Make sure you report your ratings on the 1-10 IMDB scale
- Don't edit your posts - please make a new post when you add more ratings (so I actually see them)
- If you see any errors or omissions on my data collection, please point it out to me.

If you want to see the ratings and follow along, here is the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 10th, 2019, 5:08 pm

fori wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:18 am
Probably won’t do any more ratings. Really not my thing.
Please do! I'd really love to have as many ratings as I can get.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » November 10th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Montparnasse Bienvenue - 4/0. I mostly remember this being exhausting and not in a very interesting way.
On Body and Soul - 6/10. Cute. Too cute at times.
A Woman's Life - 6/10. A fine exercise in naturalism.
Foxtrot - 8/10. Bold stylistically, fascinating in content, and even manages to be fun in the process.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 10th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Teströl és lélekröl AKA On Body and Soul (2017) 9/10
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » November 10th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Our Time - 7/10

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 11th, 2019, 7:30 am

Have seen On Body and Soul previously.. 7/10
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 11th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Again my ratings (and reviews) for already seen movies.
On Body and Soul: 8.0

Foxtrot: 8.0

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » November 11th, 2019, 4:12 pm

My ratings :

On Body and Soul 8/10
Foxtrot 8/10

cinewest

Post by cinewest » November 12th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I've seen exactly half of Quien te Cantara, and I don't know if I have the interest or will to finish it.

It's not a bad film (it is carried by the central performances), but I've seen everything in it before, and dressed up in a more interesting way, too. About 40 minutes in, I realized that the story was perfect for a director like Almodovar, who would have at least injected it with some color and juice.

With so many more interesting International films out there (I several in the pre-festival thread), I'm bummed that something like this ended up being nominated. Like I said, It's not bad (would probably earn a 5-6 from me if I stuck with it) , just altogether uninspiring as a work of cinema. Vazante!

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 12th, 2019, 10:29 pm

We (the programmers) on the whole disagreed. ;) Personally, I thought the hypnotic/eerie atmosphere and gorgeous visuals made the film gripping from beginning to end.

Look at it this way, if you knew you were going to like all the films, where would the suspense be?

cinewest

Post by cinewest » November 12th, 2019, 11:11 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 10:29 pm
We (the programmers) on the whole disagreed. ;) Personally, I thought the hypnotic/eerie atmosphere and gorgeous visuals made the film gripping from beginning to end.

Look at it this way, if you knew you were going to like all the films, where would the suspense be?
No biggie, Outdoor. I think there will be others who think more of it, as you do, and I won’t give it a rating unless I finish it.

kingink

Post by kingink » November 13th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Let me give some more ratings from the films I have already seen.

On Body and Soul: 7/10

An Elephant Sitting Still: 9/10

Foxtrot: 8/10

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » November 14th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Europe:
On Body and Soul - 9
Quien te cantara - 8.3
Montparnasse Bienvenue - 6

Asia :
An Elephant Sitting Still - 8.4
Angels Wear White - 7.4
Marlina the Murderer - 7.2

Latin America:
Endless Poetry - 8.1
Our Time - 7.3

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 14th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Seen one before the FF.
Our Time - 8.5

Will try to see more during this festival. :)

beavis

Post by beavis » November 14th, 2019, 8:39 pm

1. A Woman's Life - 8,5
2. 3/4 - 8
3. On Body and Soul - 8
4. Montparnasse Bienvenue - 7,5
5. Quién te cantará - 7

1. Foxtrot - 7,5
2. Angels Wear White - 7,5
3. An Elephant Sitting Still - 7,5
4. Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts - 6,5

Won't be able to complete the Latin American section, but I can say that Our Time is the best film in the entire festival line-up!

AB537

Post by AB537 » November 14th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Europe:

On Body and Soul 7/10

I'm hoping to watch a few more of these too.

connordenney
Donator

Post by connordenney » November 16th, 2019, 2:39 pm

3/4 8/10

Traveller

Post by Traveller » November 16th, 2019, 4:57 pm

An Elephant Sitting Still - 8/10
Endless Poetry - 7/10
ICM
December Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

cinewest

Post by cinewest » November 17th, 2019, 3:14 am

Saw 3/4 last night on Amazon Prime, and though I was willing to accept the "Dogma" approach, ultimately, I thought the film lost steam, to a great extent due to the limitations it placed on itself, stylistically.

The movie is almost entirely filmed in handheld, tight medium shots (full body, but very little background) of two characters in conversation, where one is excluded from the frame.
I try to keep an open mind when watching any work of cinema, which means accepting a filmmaker's choices, and giving him/her a chance to prove that they contribute to the interest of the movie.
The result was mixed (from interested surprise at certain revelations to an increasing sense of limitation and redundancy). At the outset, the film builds a certain natural intimacy among the 3 family members, as well as among what seemed to be the most important peripheral person for each (the piano teacher, the school friend, and the physic's student), and the way that it's shot creates the sense that we are there, as well (outside the frame, but involved, just like one of the other characters).
The camera often tracks one character as they listen to another speaking off camera, which allows us to stay with them and study them apart from just when they initiate an action or when they speak.
This works for awhile, especially early on, when we are being introduced to the principle characters. The camera often seems to drop in on scenes already underway, and then leaves them unexpectedly incomplete (one of the more obvious examples is when Mila is about to play the first note of her big recital after some build up, only to have the camera cut away just as she is about to play the first note).
It works at the beginning for me because we are introduced to everyone in the course of their natural behavior and conversation, which provides us an intimate experience while we are still trying to make sense of who is who and what is going on (something gradually revealed).
The problem for me is that the film doesn't really build toward much, there are needless confusions because of the jumps, and the film's style begins to feel more and more limiting.
We gradually realize that the 3 family members are on the eve of various changes. The boy is going through the last annoying stages of adolescence, the father is well beyond middle age and becoming more isolated as result, and the daughter, now a young woman, is about to leave the country to study piano, which will affect the other two quite a bit, even if they aren't fully conscious of that.

In some sense, it was like watching one small section of Boyhood: A slice of life interlude during a time of approaching change that the father doesn't even seem aware of. In another sense, it was like watching a filmmaker not yet in full control of his/her style, which can work if expanded upon, and if it leads to more crystalline moments.
Which brings me to the end, when the boy disappears, and then all 3 wind up taking a hike on a mountain nearby- a future memorable moment for that family, perhaps, but once again, needlessly confusing in the build up, and not crystalline enough to resonate the way it should.

There is plenty to like in this film, but also plenty that could have been handled better, which leads me to somewhere between 6.5-7

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 19th, 2019, 4:02 pm

El Amparo - 6
The Distinguished Citizen - 8
Endless Poetry - 8
Our Time - 8

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 22nd, 2019, 7:15 am

3/4 - 6
Montparnasse Bienvenue - 8
On Body and Soul - 8
Quién te cantará - 7
A Woman's Life - 7

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

AB537

Post by AB537 » November 22nd, 2019, 7:56 pm

Asia:

Foxtrot: 7

Traveller

Post by Traveller » November 23rd, 2019, 5:27 pm

Heya max, love the data spreadsheet; but I think you accidentally attributed xianjiro’s votes for International I: Europe to my name.
ICM
December Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 23rd, 2019, 6:22 pm

Traveller wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 5:27 pm
Heya max, love the data spreadsheet; but I think you accidentally attributed xianjiro’s votes for International I: Europe to my name.
Good catch - thanks! Fixed now.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 23rd, 2019, 7:28 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 6:22 pm
Traveller wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 5:27 pm
Good catch - thanks! Fixed now.
better be ... ima gunna inspect ... :lol:

sol can find me here

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » November 23rd, 2019, 8:08 pm

1. An Elephant Sitting Still - 8.5
2. Angels Wear White - 8
3. Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts - 7.5-8
4. Foxtrot - 5

An Elephant Sitting Still 8.5

John Milton

Post by John Milton » November 24th, 2019, 1:27 pm

3/4 7/10
On Body and Soul 9/10
A Woman's Life 8/10

Foxtrot 8/10

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » November 28th, 2019, 8:21 pm

On Body and Soul 6+
An Elephant Sitting Still 7
The Distinguished Citizen 7-
Endless Poetry 7+
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 30th, 2019, 2:35 am

Angels Wear White - 8
An Elephant Sitting Still - 8
Foxtrot - 8
Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts - 7

sol can find me here

John Milton

Post by John Milton » November 30th, 2019, 11:32 am

Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts - 6

Straka

Post by Straka » December 1st, 2019, 3:04 pm

Montparnasse Bienvenue - 6.5/10
On Body and Soul - 9/10
Quién te cantará - 7/10
Foxtrot - 7.5/10
Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts - 7/10
The Distinguished Citizen - 6/10
Endless Poetry - 8/10

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 2nd, 2019, 7:07 pm

Endless Poetry 7/10

I liked this more than Dance of Reality. There was some great humor and wonderful production design.