Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, December nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

Who is the most overrated director of all time?

Who is the most overrated director of all time?

Ingmar Bergman
23%
Federico Fellini
77%

Total votes: 13

mightysparks
Site Admin

Re: Who is the most overrated director of all time?

Post by mightysparks » August 14th, 2019, 12:38 am

I haven’t liked anything from either director, and though I think Bergman is slightly better, his ridiculous #1 placement on the best directors list makes this an easy choice.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 14th, 2019, 12:38 am

Coryn wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 7:59 pm
xianjiro wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 7:42 pm
Coryn wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 10:21 am
Bold move calling Bergman overrated here as he is currently voted Best Director in our yearly poll :lol:

For me he is extremely hit and miss but sadly more miss than hit.

Can't vouch for Fellini as I haven't seen anything by him, that is after being warned for how dull his movies are. Won't watch him anytime soon bar maybe 8 1/2.
I won't call myself a fan of either Fellini or Bergman, but both have offered some great films and I'd never recommend anyone to steer clear of either if they really wanted to delve into cinema. I'm surprised you didn't mention wanting to see La dolce vita (1960) though Le notti di Cabiria (1957) is my highest rated Fellini film. While I do find much of his work "overrated", I simply can't imagine not seeing it.

The other thing I'll mention, both Bergman and Fellini are known, and forgive me for paraphrasing poorly, as very personal filmmakers, especially in much of their latter work. These films are introspective and put on the screen what most would have difficulty discussing with a therapist. These are movies that aren't meant to entertain but they do shed light on the human condition.
I'm definitely going to watch him some day for sure. After seeing the usual favorites in my teens like Fight Club, Pulp Fiction,... I started watching Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Bergman,... When I was 18,19 which was apparently still a tad early to compromise what I was seeing. Now at 24 I'm starting to acquire a certain taste but I'm definitely no expert or even advanced yet. That's why I like to keep myself from watching too much 'difficult' movies too quickly. I've been warned for Fellini a lot and want to make sure I go into his movies with a little knowledge otherwise it might be a lost case before even watching them.

Perfect example for this is how I absolutely couldn't finish Zerkalo when I was 18. Last year I watched Stalker aged 24 and was blown away. I then revisited Zerkalo and was amazed by it as well. It's what keeps cinema fun for me. I bet that in 10 years I'll look at these movies even in a different way.
Makes a lot of sense what you said ^ . I don't know that there is a specific age when one is 'ready' for the likes of Bergman, Fellini, Godard, etc, but clearly it's not the average person who can start with such challenging material though giving this or that film a shot (and being willing to revisit again in the future) makes plenty of sense. Film is no different from understanding any of the artforms - painting, dance, sculpture, poetry, music, etc.

I know I need to revisit some of the great works I saw early in cinematic quest and see what my reaction is now.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 14th, 2019, 12:47 am

I don't think Bergman is overrated at all. Fellini, maybe a little. But my #1 answer might be Sofia Coppola, the Queen of Listless Torpor.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 14th, 2019, 12:48 am

mightysparks wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 12:38 am
I haven’t liked anything from either director.
:facepalm:
Nathan Treadway wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 10:47 am
:thumbsup:

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » August 15th, 2019, 5:28 am

Also, Bergman > Fellini, but both are deserving of their placements as all time greats.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 15th, 2019, 8:36 am

I couldn't disagree more with this post....

In terms of being "dated," in a broad sense, everything pre-90's in film feels somewhat dated for various reasons, most of which have to do with the look, feel, and way themes are treated, but singling out these two filmmakers comparative to the rest (even those that you mentioned) is very bizarre, especially as both were ahead of their time when they were making films, especially from the late 50's into the 70's . In fact, I happened to watch The Passion of Anna (Bergman, 1969) not long ago for the first time, and came away amazed by how fresh and contemporary it seemed.

Calling them "overrated" is even more preposterous, especially as Bergman has probably made more great films that I can think of than any other director.

I realize that Fellini is not that popular on this board, and raised a discussion about that before, but I think that has more to do with a generational disconnect with his style and approach than with his ability to amaze as a filmmaker. I re-watched La Dolce Vita not long ago, and while it engaged a particular time and place, the themes present are still very relevant today, and I consider it an absolute masterpiece (along with 8 1/2, one of the very best of all time).

That you resort to phrases like "everybody knows..." and invoke Rosenbaum as if his views on film are unquestionable (I probably disagree with him more often than not, and consider his own list of essential cinema a very mixed bag), moreover consider your own view "broad minded" is a joke (neither are "anti-cinematic" or "narrow thematically," not even compared to the other filmmakers you mention).

On top of everything, you make no real arguments aside from accusations against Bergman and Fellini, and I can only think that you must still be an undergraduate somewhere, still coming to terms with your ideas (despite being full of them) and own lack of experience / ignorance.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 15th, 2019, 10:03 am

cinewest wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 8:36 am
I couldn't disagree more with this post....
It is a troll/satire/comedy account. Look at its history.