Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

¶ PdA's Anti-Canon, 2019 Edition

Post Reply
User avatar
Perception de Ambiguity
Posts: 3525
Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Contact:

¶ PdA's Anti-Canon, 2019 Edition

#1

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » August 9th, 2019, 5:22 am

This is a ranked Top 300 list of my favorite films that are relatively little seen, which has become an annual tradition of mine.

PdA's Anti-Canon, 2019 Edition - letterboxd
PdA's Anti-Canon, 2019 Edition - IMDb

The IMDb list includes some films that aren't in the letterboxd database at this time, and vice versa.

Here are the links to the previous editions:

Some examples for favorites that entered high this year:
Lord of the Dance/Destroyer of Illusion (1985), Narita: Peasants of the Second Fortress (1971), Scream of the Ants (2006), New Old (1979), Regarding Penelope's Wake (2002), Narita: Heta Village (1973), Diary of a Worker/Not by Bread Alone (1967), Can Dialectics Break Bricks? (1973), Killed the Family and Went to the Movies (1969)

Random examples for big favorites I cut late for being less less known (and to make room for other films):
Acht Stunden sind kein Tag (Eight Hours Don't Make a Day) (1972), Põrgu (1983), Un lac (2008), The Man Who Put His Will on Film (1970), Le orme (Footprints on the Moon) (1975), La rose de fer (The Iron Rose) (1973), Cremaster 2 (1999), Baal (1970), Happy End (1967)


So, how many of the films have you seen, why have you seen them, what did you rate them, why did you rate them, what films that you haven't seen are you interested in seeing, what films have you tried to find but weren't able to (I'll be happy to help if I can), what’s invisible but you wish people could see, how much does the wind weigh, and other positive comments and obtrusive questions are welcome.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 9880
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#2

Post by St. Gloede » August 9th, 2019, 6:05 am

Only seen 73, of which I surprisingly find 46 great, and I would consider about 13 of them to be personal favourites. I should definitely pay closer attention to my unseen entries. (Also, come on, Baal is far less seen than many films on that list. *Bring back Baal! *Bring back Baal! *Bring back Baal! and so on ...)

Top 3 from the list, all of which I rated 9.5+/10 are:

Die Parallelstrasse (1962)
La deuxième nuit (2016)
Reality's Invisible (1971)

I'm also extremely excited to see Unter dem Pflaster ist der Strand and Vesnoy. (Though I'm pretty sure I said the same thing last year). Sad to see Aa Bakudan go as well.

matthewscott8
Donator
Posts: 1457
Joined: May 13, 2015
Contact:

#3

Post by matthewscott8 » August 9th, 2019, 8:34 am

I have seen 32 of those, whilst there are a few I am not massively keen on there are none I dislike.

Amongst other favourites, these are all out of the top drawer of the top floor and pluck at my heart strings:

Hatsu yume
Nostos: The Return
Deadfall
L'ange
The Savage Eye
Brutal Ardour
Six et demi onze

I like to think you have watched Deadfall because of my constant banging on about it over the years, but probably wishful thinking!

I would like to see a lot more of those but availability is difficult for me since the demise of SMz and sans KG. From a quick availability check of the ones that piqued my interest, Scream of the Ants has a Greek dvd with english subs, so I will give that one a go.

Always a pleasure to read your anti-canon each year.

User avatar
Perception de Ambiguity
Posts: 3525
Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Contact:

#4

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » August 9th, 2019, 10:37 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 8:34 am
I like to think you have watched Deadfall because of my constant banging on about it over the years, but probably wishful thinking!
'Deadfall' I certainly was curious about at the time because the film had a small following on FG, of whom you were probably the biggest and maybe the first(?) championer. And after I had loved 'The Ipcress File' I was keen to watch some more earlier-period Michael Caine films, this one was a somewhat obvious choice in that it, like 'The Ipcress File', had something of a James Bond connection. Turned out to be a very different film but a well-timed viewing, having still been in something of a 'Vertigo' haze after having had a particularly rewarding repeat-viewing, which tainted other film viewings of the coming weeks, whenever applicable, in a 'Vertigo' light.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4359
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#5

Post by Carmel1379 » August 9th, 2019, 11:46 am

I like that you put 'Tiger Girl' next to 'Rage' near the end, because the latter is probably going to be my next viewing. Usually when I say that the film is left stranded in limbo, but not today...

Equally inconceivably, maybe I am, after all, able to keep in-touch, given that despite the frequency of my film-watching drastically subsiding over the last year, at the moment I've seen 92, a higher count than I had on the previous iteration during someone's bird day last year, though I doubt that's a testament to anything I can control or choose.

From a cursory glance at the first pages of this year's and 2013's lists, it seems like Ben Hecht & co's stuff, This World, Then The Fireworks, Go West, Vampire Journals, ¡Mátalo!, and The Super Cops are the cool favourites that have been present each year, not yet risen out of their caves to not be considered little seen. You haven't rewatched those last three recently, have you?

I Do Not Know What It Is I Am Like - Remember any toads in this?
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6685
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#6

Post by 3eyes » August 9th, 2019, 12:40 pm

I've seen 8 from IMDb list, downloaded a few more from the Weighty Place but couldn't get subs to work or something.
I wish I'd tuned into this project while I still had energy to pursue some of those suggestions.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
Perception de Ambiguity
Posts: 3525
Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Contact:

#7

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » August 9th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 11:46 am
I like that you put 'Tiger Girl' next to 'Rage' near the end, because the latter is probably going to be my next viewing. Usually when I say that the film is left stranded in limbo, but not today...

Equally inconceivably, maybe I am, after all, able to keep in-touch, given that despite the frequency of my film-watching drastically subsiding over the last year, at the moment I've seen 92, a higher count than I had on the previous iteration during someone's bird day last year, though I doubt that's a testament to anything I can control or choose.

From a cursory glance at the first pages of this year's and 2013's lists, it seems like Ben Hecht & co's stuff, This World, Then The Fireworks, Go West, Vampire Journals, ¡Mátalo!, and The Super Cops are the cool favourites that have been present each year, not yet risen out of their caves to not be considered little seen. You haven't rewatched those last three recently, have you?

I Do Not Know What It Is I Am Like - Remember any toads in this?
Rewatched 'Vampire Journals' with my mom on New Year's Eve 2015/2016. Was considerably less smitten by it then, but I partly blame it one having watched it through her eyes to some degree - people say I have her eyes, so there you go. I still feel like I can stand behind it, and as I have lost a meaningful emotional connection to the vampire concept in general this film would still be one of my go-to film for experiencing a good old vampire romp again. 'Dance of the Damned' (1989) I was thinking of rewatching since I started preparing this list, as I was on the fence about having it feature again (eventually it dropped out), but also because watching it again felt like a good idea. I expect I wouldn't be too much into this female fantasy variation on 'Only Lovers Left Alive' or a vampire-'Pale Flower' anymore . I think it's been a pretty borderline entry in the list anyway for a long time. Point being, though, I might still rewatch it, because it still feels like a good idea for experiencing a good old vampire romp again.
'¡Mátalo!' I rewatched once early in 2015, where it totally held up for me, but it was indeed a good while ago. I still love an authentically 60s/70s psychedelic cinematic experience (if not even more than ever), and amoral protagonists wreaking havoc and showing narrow-minded stuck-ups the ropes (if not even more than ever), and films with plots that go nowhere fast, and the soundtrack I still find reasonably dope, so I'm fairly certain "Kill It/Kill Him!" has lost little of its power over me.
The last 'The Super Cops' viewing already goes back to 2013, but that one made me appreciate it more than ever, and also was connected with a yummy CuMSWAP. The protagonists may be pigs, but their clever yet unsophisticated (aka "street smart") defying of authority and disregard for the rules into both directions (both towards their cop colleagues and superiors as well as towards the criminals they are dealing with) is too delicious. They and the film itself have an irreverent overzealousness that make me want to compare it to 'Daisies'. It's about as invigorating a viewing experience as that one for me. I expect this probably hasn't changed too much for me. But a rewatch might be in order for the not too distant future.

🐸 - Not sure. The toad probability seems extremely high in this film, but I might be thinking of frontal close-up carp footage, or there may have been toadness in a different Viola, maye in 'Hatsu yume'?
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4359
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#8

Post by Carmel1379 » August 10th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Perception de Ambiguity wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 5:25 pm
Carmel1379 wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 11:46 am
I like that you put 'Tiger Girl' next to 'Rage' near the end, because the latter is probably going to be my next viewing. Usually when I say that the film is left stranded in limbo, but not today...

Equally inconceivably, maybe I am, after all, able to keep in-touch, given that despite the frequency of my film-watching drastically subsiding over the last year, at the moment I've seen 92, a higher count than I had on the previous iteration during someone's bird day last year, though I doubt that's a testament to anything I can control or choose.

From a cursory glance at the first pages of this year's and 2013's lists, it seems like Ben Hecht & co's stuff, This World, Then The Fireworks, Go West, Vampire Journals, ¡Mátalo!, and The Super Cops are the cool favourites that have been present each year, not yet risen out of their caves to not be considered little seen. You haven't rewatched those last three recently, have you?

I Do Not Know What It Is I Am Like - Remember any toads in this?
Rewatched 'Vampire Journals' with my mom on New Year's Eve 2015/2016. Was considerably less smitten by it then, but I partly blame it one having watched it through her eyes to some degree - people say I have her eyes, so there you go. I still feel like I can stand behind it, and as I have lost a meaningful emotional connection to the vampire concept in general this film would still be one of my go-to film for experiencing a good old vampire romp again. 'Dance of the Damned' (1989) I was thinking of rewatching since I started preparing this list, as I was on the fence about having it feature again (eventually it dropped out), but also because watching it again felt like a good idea. I expect I wouldn't be too much into this female fantasy variation on 'Only Lovers Left Alive' or a vampire-'Pale Flower' anymore . I think it's been a pretty borderline entry in the list anyway for a long time. Point being, though, I might still rewatch it, because it still feels like a good idea for experiencing a good old vampire romp again.
'¡Mátalo!' I rewatched once early in 2015, where it totally held up for me, but it was indeed a good while ago. I still love an authentically 60s/70s psychedelic cinematic experience (if not even more than ever), and amoral protagonists wreaking havoc and showing narrow-minded stuck-ups the ropes (if not even more than ever), and films with plots that go nowhere fast, and the soundtrack I still find reasonably dope, so I'm fairly certain "Kill It/Kill Him!" has lost little of its power over me.
The last 'The Super Cops' viewing already goes back to 2013, but that one made me appreciate it more than ever, and also was connected with a yummy CuMSWAP. The protagonists may be pigs, but their clever yet unsophisticated (aka "street smart") defying of authority and disregard for the rules into both directions (both towards their cop colleagues and superiors as well as towards the criminals they are dealing with) is too delicious. They and the film itself have an irreverent overzealousness that make me want to compare it to 'Daisies'. It's about as invigorating a viewing experience as that one for me. I expect this probably hasn't changed too much for me. But a rewatch might be in order for the not too distant future.

🐸 - Not sure. The toad probability seems extremely high in this film, but I might be thinking of frontal close-up carp footage, or there may have been toadness in a different Viola, maye in 'Hatsu yume'?
I feel like I'm increasingly being carried into the vampire bandwagon; currently I'm reading a sci-fi novel called 'Blindsight' including a vampire (or "an extinct hominid predator once called vampire, recalled from the grave with the voodoo of recombinant genetics and the blood of sociopaths") commanding a first contact mission. Now that I think of it, I just might create a personal vampire quest thread in the Film Logs sub-forum ghost town for myself to spew out write-ups and screenshots, which could somewhat impel me to keep-up a more regular viewing pace. Somehow I find the idea of superhuman intelligence/cunningness/abilities co-existing with deeply primal lusts/needs in one organism irresistibly compelling, while the subgenre itself opening up wide-range thematic avenues, carrying enormous allegorical and atmospheric potential. And out of all the popular monsters vampires are usually the most sexual and aristocratic ones. :shifty:

"watching it through her eyes" as in imagining/guessing her perspective/thoughts while you're both watching the film? I can see how with the lack of telepathy or visible bodily reactions that must be quite a hard and distracting effort, at least while viewing a film with its constant barrage of new information. So did your mum enjoy 'Vampire Journals'? The last movie I saw with my parents was 'Midsommar' in the cinema, which we all unanimously found rather daft.

Well if you want we can do a second -- super and hopefully yummy -- "Cops" CuM SWAP on here sometime in the not too distant future.

Hatsu yume - Haven't heard of this concept before, its wikipedia article will probably be the wackiest one I'll read today. Guess I'll have to wish New Year aubergine dreams to the next Japanese person I meet.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
Perception de Ambiguity
Posts: 3525
Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Contact:

#9

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » August 10th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 3:30 pm
I feel like I'm increasingly being carried into the vampire bandwagon; currently I'm reading a sci-fi novel called 'Blindsight' including a vampire (or "an extinct hominid predator once called vampire, recalled from the grave with the voodoo of recombinant genetics and the blood of sociopaths") commanding a first contact mission. Now that I think of it, I just might create a personal vampire quest thread in the Film Logs sub-forum ghost town for myself to spew out write-ups and screenshots, which could somewhat impel me to keep-up a more regular viewing pace. Somehow I find the idea of superhuman intelligence/cunningness/abilities co-existing with deeply primal lusts/needs in one organism irresistibly compelling, while the subgenre itself opening up wide-range thematic avenues, carrying enormous allegorical and atmospheric potential. And out of all the popular monsters vampires are usually the most sexual and aristocratic ones. :shifty:

"watching it through her eyes" as in imagining/guessing her perspective/thoughts while you're both watching the film? I can see how with the lack of telepathy or visible bodily reactions that must be quite a hard and distracting effort, at least while viewing a film with its constant barrage of new information. So did your mum enjoy 'Vampire Journals'? The last movie I saw with my parents was 'Midsommar' in the cinema, which we all unanimously found rather daft.

Well if you want we can do a second -- super and hopefully yummy -- "Cops" CuM SWAP on here sometime in the not too distant future.

Hatsu yume - Haven't heard of this concept before, its wikipedia article will probably be the wackiest one I'll read today. Guess I'll have to wish New Year aubergine dreams to the next Japanese person I meet.
You might be ready to reach your vampire phase. You took the "Bela Lugosi's Dead" step long enough ago, time to progress.

Do I need to elucidate "watching something through somebody elses eyes"? I was already pretty well-familiar with the film and naturally was curious about how she would find it. It's not the type of film I can rewatch too regularly, so that 3rd viewing was overdoing it at that point in time, and it's very much not the communal-viewing type, but the getting-in-the-zone-with-IT type, and although superficially it's getting close to it, it's not her type of zone. Mom watching 'Vampire Journals' naturally was the more interesting experience to have in this situation than me watching 'Vampire Journals' like regular old isolated self. I guess it became clear rather quickly that she was left cold by it, and about as instantly it occurred to me that there was nothing in the film for her to realistically latch on to. Just as 'Midsommar' only had this unanimous family reaction for you were predestined to find it daft and through your charisma you radiated this vibe that that got picked up strongly by the parent recipients, while your parents on their own otherwise would have experienced the film as being deeply poetic, its artistry impacting them down to the core of their soul.

We could theoretically do that.

May you have an intimate encounter with a blind acupressurer.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

User avatar
Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Posts: 412
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Aussieland
Contact:

#10

Post by Eve-Lang-El-Coup » August 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm

I've seen 21 from both the 2018 and 2019 lists according to Leterboxd.
The Third Shadow Warrior has been a favourite for a while now.
The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces I think is a film you nominated for Doubling the Cannon? I'd have to say that I don't of any other documentary that is both a thesis and a stand-up comedy gala. Do you know of anymore?
Duvidha is one of the most, if not the most beautiful films.
Brutal Ardour is the one I did not gel with the most. To be honest I think my 5/10 rating is too high as I remember disliking it. Maybe I'm remembering a different experimental film I watched around the same time!?

There's definitely a lot there I've been interested in seeing as well as a bunch of more experimental stuff I'm not too keen on seeing ever.

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4359
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#11

Post by Carmel1379 » August 11th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Perception de Ambiguity wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 7:29 pm
You might be ready to reach your vampire phase. You took the "Bela Lugosi's Dead" step long enough ago, time to progress.

Do I need to elucidate "watching something through somebody elses eyes"? I was already pretty well-familiar with the film and naturally was curious about how she would find it. It's not the type of film I can rewatch too regularly, so that 3rd viewing was overdoing it at that point in time, and it's very much not the communal-viewing type, but the getting-in-the-zone-with-IT type, and although superficially it's getting close to it, it's not her type of zone. Mom watching 'Vampire Journals' naturally was the more interesting experience to have in this situation than me watching 'Vampire Journals' like regular old isolated self. I guess it became clear rather quickly that she was left cold by it, and about as instantly it occurred to me that there was nothing in the film for her to realistically latch on to. Just as 'Midsommar' only had this unanimous family reaction for you were predestined to find it daft and through your charisma you radiated this vibe that that got picked up strongly by the parent recipients, while your parents on their own otherwise would have experienced the film as being deeply poetic, its artistry impacting them down to the core of their soul.

We could theoretically do that.

May you have an intimate encounter with a blind acupressurer.
Funny you mentioned that song, because about two hours after I saw your reply my friend put it on during pre-drinks, which made me tell him about 'The Hunger'. He actually downloaded it and might be watching it right about now, hopefully I radiated my love for the film to him with my charisma. So see, the dark coincident tentacles of blutlust seep through from all sides. Forever and ever

Is your mum the type of person to let you know she didn't like something or couldn't get into even though it was a film you introduced to her for a special-ish occasion, or will she, with all the love in her heart and interest in you, be reluctant to do so despite you seeing with her eyes nothing particularly moved her about it?

I'll be absent for the entire next week (unless I'm on my phone), but we can SWAP the week after. What about Tuesday the 20th or Wednesday the 21st? I could advertise on The Film Lounge or the last SWAP thread sometime soon.

Thanks, you too. I was personally also hoping for 煙草, but then again I have plenty of that every day in my non-sleeping dreaming already. :turned:
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
Perception de Ambiguity
Posts: 3525
Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Contact:

#12

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » August 12th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Eve-Lang-El-Coup wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm
I've seen 21 from both the 2018 and 2019 lists according to Leterboxd.
The Third Shadow Warrior has been a favourite for a while now.
The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces I think is a film you nominated for Doubling the Cannon? I'd have to say that I don't of any other documentary that is both a thesis and a stand-up comedy gala. Do you know of anymore?
Duvidha is one of the most, if not the most beautiful films.
Brutal Ardour is the one I did not gel with the most. To be honest I think my 5/10 rating is too high as I remember disliking it. Maybe I'm remembering a different experimental film I watched around the same time!?

There's definitely a lot there I've been interested in seeing as well as a bunch of more experimental stuff I'm not too keen on seeing ever.
'The Third Shadow Warrior' and 'The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces' both were first viewings for me during the most recent DtC nominations challenge, as were a number of other films on this list, I'm sure, it's been a pretty fruitful film viewing period for me these past few years.
Many experimental films I would be comfortable enough describing in those terms, for they are often studies on a concept of a kind, even as they push the definition of documentary and comedy. Experimental films are almost inherently playful in one way or another and are defying conventional viewer expectations, after all, so comedy is never far away. Nothing quite comparable to 'The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces' comes to mind at the moment, though.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

User avatar
Perception de Ambiguity
Posts: 3525
Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Contact:

#13

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » August 12th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 10:59 pm
Funny you mentioned that song, because about two hours after I saw your reply my friend put it on during pre-drinks, which made me tell him about 'The Hunger'. He actually downloaded it and might be watching it right about now, hopefully I radiated my love for the film to him with my charisma. So see, the dark coincident tentacles of blutlust seep through from all sides. Forever and ever

Is your mum the type of person to let you know she didn't like something or couldn't get into even though it was a film you introduced to her for a special-ish occasion, or will she, with all the love in her heart and interest in you, be reluctant to do so despite you seeing with her eyes nothing particularly moved her about it?

I'll be absent for the entire next week (unless I'm on my phone), but we can SWAP the week after. What about Tuesday the 20th or Wednesday the 21st? I could advertise on The Film Lounge or the last SWAP thread sometime soon.

Thanks, you too. I was personally also hoping for 煙草, but then again I have plenty of that every day in my non-sleeping dreaming already. :turned:
She'll be patient enough to sit through a film she knows I like or recommend it and whathaveyou, but it has little bearing on how she receives and reacts to the film, and she won't do any pretending about how she found it, there would be no point in it.

We could theoretically do that on the 20th.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

User avatar
monclivie
Posts: 328
Joined: Sep 13, 2011
Location: Poland
Contact:

#14

Post by monclivie » August 12th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Well, after 12 years of watching films almost everyday, I've seen 0 titles from your list :think:

User avatar
viktor-vaudevillain
Posts: 391
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#15

Post by viktor-vaudevillain » August 13th, 2019, 12:45 pm

It's like christmas time. Love your anti-canon, and it's always a nice gateway drug for films I didn't know I should be watching.

Seen 38 of them this year. There's a lot of stuff on there I'm keen on watching very soon, and many that I actually have lined up for viewing in the near future.

But you know, it's a beautiful list as always.
not everything is fish, but fish are teeming everywhere

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4359
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#16

Post by Carmel1379 » August 18th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Perception de Ambiguity wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 4:19 pm
She'll be patient enough to sit through a film she knows I like or recommend it and whathaveyou, but it has little bearing on how she receives and reacts to the film, and she won't do any pretending about how she found it, there would be no point in it.

We could theoretically do that on the 20th.
I’m too depressed to type anything atm, but I can call you sometime this week after I see the film and you’ve possibly rewatched it
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
Perception de Ambiguity
Posts: 3525
Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Contact:

#17

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » August 18th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 1:04 pm
Perception de Ambiguity wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 4:19 pm
She'll be patient enough to sit through a film she knows I like or recommend it and whathaveyou, but it has little bearing on how she receives and reacts to the film, and she won't do any pretending about how she found it, there would be no point in it.

We could theoretically do that on the 20th.
I’m too depressed to type anything atm, but I can call you sometime this week after I see the film and you’ve possibly rewatched it
:rip: Carmel.



We will just postpone the swapping of the super cum until you resurrect as the the laissez-faire freak of nature that you usually are.

Viva la Carmel! (l)
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3657
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#18

Post by Nathan Treadway » August 18th, 2019, 7:53 pm

A Woman's Tale (l)

jdidaco
Posts: 1169
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#19

Post by jdidaco » August 18th, 2019, 11:22 pm

Always happy to see a new edition of the Anti-Canon. 186 seen from this group (IMDb), the latest just now, for the UK/Ireland challenge, Alan Bridges' searing version of Bergman's 'The Lie' - moment to last a lifetime: Annette Crosbie confronting Gemma Jones early on - "...at a certain point people of your sort cease to exist, you just turn into a sort of impersonal astonishment, or at most a well-formulated expression of ...” (she says something here I can't identify, but I'm sure it's horrid), and then she shows her gaping tooth!. These ten minutes between them are extraordinary, because they are two exact opposing poles, and all the facades of conformity and hysteria become single synesthetic vibes shattering before our eyes. Two astonishing actresses (the whole cast, of course), and a very attentive director for this kind of text/feeling. Thanks for mentioning it, I'm familiar and interested in the director, but I wouldn't have found it, if it weren't for the Anti-Canon. Long Live the A-C.

Image

User avatar
Perception de Ambiguity
Posts: 3525
Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Contact:

#20

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » August 19th, 2019, 7:15 pm

jdidaco wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 11:22 pm
Always happy to see a new edition of the Anti-Canon. 186 seen from this group (IMDb), the latest just now, for the UK/Ireland challenge, Alan Bridges' searing version of Bergman's 'The Lie' - moment to last a lifetime: Annette Crosbie confronting Gemma Jones early on - "...at a certain point people of your sort cease to exist, you just turn into a sort of impersonal astonishment, or at most a well-formulated expression of ...” (she says something here I can't identify, but I'm sure it's horrid), and then she shows her gaping tooth!. These ten minutes between them are extraordinary, because they are two exact opposing poles, and all the facades of conformity and hysteria become single synesthetic vibes shattering before our eyes. Two astonishing actresses (the whole cast, of course), and a very attentive director for this kind of text/feeling. Thanks for mentioning it, I'm familiar and interested in the director, but I wouldn't have found it, if it weren't for the Anti-Canon. Long Live the A-C.
Thanks, and cool that you are a "follower", 186 seen is mighty impressive.
I'm a Bergman completist, which also includes any film he has written, so I really just saw it because of him. I hope to also see the Swedish version of the script one day ('Reservatet'), which stars some Bergman regulars, which can't hurt, but it has yet to be available with subtitles.
"...at most a well-formulated expression of disapproval."
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Post Reply