Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

What are the most "oppressively American" films?

albajos

Re: What are the most "oppressively American" films?

Post by albajos » July 3rd, 2019, 9:13 pm

Yes, the commentaries on videos on youtube are the most american there is.

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 9:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry we have so many jerks here. nowadays it seems our country is one giant asshole
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

sebby

Post by sebby » July 3rd, 2019, 9:29 pm

Just bc you don't like something doesn't mean you should censor and delete it. Otherwise half (if not more) of the films that exist would need to be scrubbed. That's a fascistic take, which is ironically incredibly anti-progressive given the reason for doing it. You can talk about the scene being problematic and a product of its time without rewriting cinematic history, as unimportant as toy story 2 and its end credits may be.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 3rd, 2019, 9:49 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 7:49 pm
Okay, explain the joke to me. I'm not a kid. Should be easy, right?
It's easy alright, but it all feels like an elaborate setup which I'm not really all that interested in. Which means you're very much wasting my time rather than just come out and say what you want to say. But hey, I'll indulge for this once: he offers the Barbies a role in the sequel for sexual acts, unaware that the camera is pointed at him when he does so. The contrast with the innocent world of toys and the "caught in the act" reaction is what makes it funny for people. At least, those who appreciate that kind of comedy.
RBG wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 8:03 pm
also he apparently has me on ignore now :folded: i think i'll return the favor
I don't "have you on ignore", but I am ignoring you because you keep saying one thing while doing another. If you say you're gonna quit, quit. If you just continue with the discussion five minutes later, I'm not going to invest any more time in that.

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 9:56 pm

men *eyeroll*

i believe it was disney's decision. the director left under a cloud after multiple accusations of inappropriate behavior. explain that to your kids

america: where we're so politically correct that our president has been credibly accused by over twenty women of sexual misconduct with no consequences. i hope to see them all in the front row at the debates when pocahantas scalps him :hmph:

i get it that it's in your interests for nothing to change
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 3rd, 2019, 10:43 pm

RBG wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 9:19 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry we have so many jerks here. nowadays it seems our country is one GIANT SHITHOLE💩
ftfy

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 3rd, 2019, 10:48 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 9:49 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 7:49 pm
Okay, explain the joke to me. I'm not a kid. Should be easy, right?
It's easy alright, but it all feels like an elaborate setup which I'm not really all that interested in. Which means you're very much wasting my time rather than just come out and say what you want to say. But hey, I'll indulge for this once: he offers the Barbies a role in the sequel for sexual acts, unaware that the camera is pointed at him when he does so. The contrast with the innocent world of toys and the "caught in the act" reaction is what makes it funny for people. At least, those who appreciate that kind of comedy.
RBG wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 8:03 pm
also he apparently has me on ignore now :folded: i think i'll return the favor
I don't "have you on ignore", but I am ignoring you because you keep saying one thing while doing another. If you say you're gonna quit, quit. If you just continue with the discussion five minutes later, I'm not going to invest any more time in that.
I just need some clarification: one of the male characters in Toy Story 4 offers the Barbies sex if they'll appear in TS5? That sounds like something Woody would have to say. Or is this an inter-species joke made by Rex?

Since I haven't seen TS4, I'm finding this whole conversation terrible/y confusing. :circle:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 3rd, 2019, 10:49 pm

RBG wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 9:56 pm
men *eyeroll*

i believe it was disney's decision. the director left under a cloud after multiple accusations of inappropriate behavior. explain that to your kids

america: where we're so politically correct that our president has been credibly accused by over twenty women of sexual misconduct with no consequences. i hope to see them all in the front row at the debates when pocahantas scalps him :hmph:

i get it that it's in your interests for nothing to change
scalp? I can think of a couple other places I'd rather her use that tomahawk.

sol can find me here

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 4th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Happy 4th of July denizens of Trumperica, and Trumpworld! I started off the day watching a horrible anti-commie propaganda flick, then I made some potato salad for later, and now I'm about to spend the next few hours reading John Galt's speech from Atlas Shrugged. I'd have to say I'm showing off my AmericaIsGreatness better than any of you libtards and feminazis. Long live money!

RBG

Post by RBG » July 4th, 2019, 6:33 pm

:ph43r:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 5th, 2019, 7:10 am

OK. I have to report back about my film day. It was weird.

Started off watching Le Fidele AKA Racer and the Jailbird (2017, Belgium). Wife flipped me shit for watching a foreign movie on 'Murica Day. So I finished my movie and told her I was going to watch Independents' Day just to spite. She replied "Oh! That's a really good choi-" "Not that one," I interrupted. This one.

Independents' Day is absurd. It's so right-wing pro-America it hates America. Basically, it's Independence Day, except the military is useless and it's the militias who are the heroes. Complete with unironically pro-America, I'll-defend-my-country #murica rhetoric.

Let me translate that to real life - the gun-hoarding whackjobs who believe the parts of the Bible that coincide with their beliefs are the literal word of god and who live in a commune where they shoot guns all day and clean their guns and tattoo the 2nd amendment on their dicks and talk about how to get more guns are the heroes. They battle figure out* the aliens are bad. They fight the aliens. They recover the alien that allows the humans to win.

*Really, they made an assumption that the aliens who said they were there for peace were bad, acted on that assumption, used the aliens' reaction to justify they are in fact bad, had the government look for evidence the aliens are bad, find an ambiguous bit of evidence that could be interpreted as confirming their preconceived biases, and use that to justify wiping out the alien race. But who would believe that - SOOOOO unrealistic.

And you know what saved the day and wiped out the aliens? Biological weapons. Delivered by the President herself.

So I followed that gem up with Arthur's suggestion of Mr. Freedom. Probably the exact opposite movie. And it was awesome - so over the top with so many layers of irony and allusions. Wife and I had fun pointing things out to each other.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 5th, 2019, 1:42 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 5:11 pm
Happy 4th of July denizens of Trumperica, and Trumpworld! I started off the day watching a horrible anti-commie propaganda flick, then I made some potato salad for later, and now I'm about to spend the next few hours reading John Galt's speech from Atlas Shrugged. I'd have to say I'm showing off my AmericaIsGreatness better than any of you libtards and feminazis. Long live money!
:lol:
60 years ago or so I started out to argue with John Galt's speech and got as far as "A is A", said "I disagree right there," and haven't looked at it since.

@Max: I kind of lost the thread of this thread for a while and must have missed "Mr. Freedom" (Which I see I've checked but don't remember). I also see it's on Criterion - goody.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 5th, 2019, 5:34 pm

we survived and the dog wasn't too freaked out - but then I played the TV about as loud as possible and we sat right in front. All I could think of though was:

Nothing says "I love my country" quite like blowing shit up.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 5th, 2019, 5:40 pm

ps:

America 1776 - the Original No-fly Zone

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 5th, 2019, 5:46 pm

xianjiro wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 5:34 pm
we survived and the dog wasn't too freaked out - but then I played the TV about as loud as possible and we sat right in front.
We also had a decent evening - our old dog isn't scared of fireworks at all, so he modeled some pretty chill behavior. Our new pup didn't like them, but was OK. And yeah - we sat inside, kept the TV loud and the AC on, and when we switched to video games, there was loud nonsensical singing (which I'm pretty sure annoyed my wife more than the fireworks annoyed Sweet Dee).

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 9th, 2019, 7:08 pm

The movie that first came to my mind was Pearl Harbor, but others have mentioned better examples already.
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:26 pm
Totally forgot about this

This was hilarious! :lol:
maxwelldeux wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 7:10 am
So I finished my movie and told her I was going to watch Independents' Day just to spite. She replied "Oh! That's a really good choi-" "Not that one," I interrupted. This one.
One of the movies under 'More Like This' looks even better: Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus. :D
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » July 10th, 2019, 11:37 pm

Im honestly surprised there were only a couple of stray mentions of Michael Bay movies. He always struck me as one of the most AMERICAN directors. 'Splosions, racism, exploited or marginalized women roles... he's got it all.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 11th, 2019, 12:07 am

you mean the whole transformers series isn't transcendent - of race, gender, nation, galaxy, credulity?

sol can find me here

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » July 13th, 2019, 6:47 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 11:37 pm
Im honestly surprised there were only a couple of stray mentions of Michael Bay movies. He always struck me as one of the most AMERICAN directors. 'Splosions, racism, exploited or marginalized women roles... he's got it all.
Is bay a jingoist? I haven't seen many of his films so not sure.