Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, October nominations (Sep 27th)

What are the most "oppressively American" films?

Onderhond

Re: What are the most "oppressively American" films?

Post by Onderhond » July 2nd, 2019, 9:10 pm

Dazed and Confused maybe? The kids, the cars, the school, the stereotypes ... *brrrr*

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 2nd, 2019, 9:19 pm

The Right Stuff is one of only 17 movies I've marked as a favorite on icm. It certainly dances along the stage of national glory. It is, after all, based on a book by Tom Wolfe, a writer whose skill with language was only matched perhaps by his immense self-satisfaction and traditional views of what was acceptable in society and culture. But what I especially love about the cinematic version of The Right Stuff is its ability to contain dualities. I consider it the main theme of the movie--dualities between glory and shame, success and failure, reason and spirituality, life and death, human wonderment and dispassionate engineering. There is constant dramatic tension along binary lines: German-American, human-animal, Navy-Air Force.

Perhaps the greatest duality in The Right Stuff, though, is between sincerity and cynicism. As such, the movie's exploration of American nationalism and triumphalism feels very two-sided. For every moment of glory there is a moment of suspicion, selfishness, idiocy, or vanity. As such, the movie depicts the space race as an exercise in human ingenuity and courage, as well as a publicity-driven boondoggle for the benefit of politicians and flyboys. So The Right Stuff is definitely a very American movie, a national epic that strives to be a Great American Movie in the way some books try to be a Great American Novel. But I hardly think of it as oppressive.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 2nd, 2019, 9:40 pm

jvv wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 6:01 am
Onderhond wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 5:07 am
For me it has to be anything with a high school and the classic nerds/jocks divide.
Yes, that's what I thought about immediately as well.
And college and frat parties.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 2nd, 2019, 10:08 pm

A couple of fine potential Low Rating Challenge views in this thread - thanks guys!

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 2nd, 2019, 11:42 pm

RBG wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:34 pm
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@arthur lol :lol: is that a real film??

sebby

Post by sebby » July 3rd, 2019, 12:27 am

The whole fireworks insanity is also very American. Terrible for the environment, triggers PTSD in combat vets, needlessly kills thousands of animals and a dozen or so humans every year. But hey, we're talking a multi-hundred million dollar revenue stream here, so fuck allllll that shit and focus on the dollaz. US as it gets, baby!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 3rd, 2019, 12:33 am

sebby wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 12:27 am
The whole fireworks insanity is also very American. Terrible for the environment, triggers PTSD in combat vets, needlessly kills thousands of animals and a dozen or so humans every year. But hey, we're talking a multi-hundred million dollar revenue stream here, so fuck allllll that shit and focus on the dollaz. US as it gets, baby!
tell me about it - fireworks (illegal, no less) as I left for work yesterday morning. But I'm really dreading the five nights starting on Wednesday. With so many places offering a four day weekend, it's going to be a very long stretch of unhappiness and terror for the old dog. So far she's just been pacing a bit more a night than her usual - I'm not sure she hears as much as she has in years past. But my expectations are she'll still be a nervous wreck when they unleash the full brunt of the nonsense. God I wish we could have gone someplace else this weekend - far away from the maddening crowd. Wouldn't mind so much if it was a single night, but instead we'll have drunks shooting of M-80s at 3 am. I fucking hate the fourth of July now.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 2:50 am

they're even legal here although we're invariably in high fire alert this time of year. dumbest thing ever. (they've been pulled from shelves)

huh i am disturbed but not particularly surprised that arthur's film is real. christofacism strikes again

trump's fourth of july movie about himself will be carried live on fox and c-span. msnbc has declined and cnn will show a documentary on the rise of white nationalism :folded: hordes of neo-nazis expected to descend on DC this week
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 3rd, 2019, 3:47 am

xianjiro wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 12:33 am
sebby wrote:
tell me about it - fireworks (illegal, no less) as I left for work yesterday morning. But I'm really dreading the five nights starting on Wednesday. With so many places offering a four day weekend, it's going to be a very long stretch of unhappiness and terror for the old dog. So far she's just been pacing a bit more a night than her usual - I'm not sure she hears as much as she has in years past. But my expectations are she'll still be a nervous wreck when they unleash the full brunt of the nonsense. God I wish we could have gone someplace else this weekend - far away from the maddening crowd. Wouldn't mind so much if it was a single night, but instead we'll have drunks shooting of M-80s at 3 am. I fucking hate the fourth of July now.
Yeah, this is going to be my first 4 of July with the new big baby. We've heard a couple of booms over the past few days and she got REALLY concerned, but we tried to say "yay" and use our happy voices and give her a treat right afterwords. I'm hopeful she won't freak. My old boy doesn't give a shit - all he knows is that gets ALL the cuddles he wants.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 3rd, 2019, 5:21 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 3:47 am
xianjiro wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 12:33 am
sebby wrote:
Yeah, this is going to be my first 4 of July with the new big baby. We've heard a couple of booms over the past few days and she got REALLY concerned, but we tried to say "yay" and use our happy voices and give her a treat right afterwords. I'm hopeful she won't freak. My old boy doesn't give a shit - all he knows is that gets ALL the cuddles he wants.
no matter what I do, she still wants to shake violently in my lap the whole time - or try to get under furniture (like she ever had anything in common with a cat). At least this year she weighs a whole lot less and the forecast high is only 80. (Can't open windows until the worst has past which is usually something like 2am.) Treats? There's no way she'll eat and this is a dog that thinks peas and broccoli are great! She eats everything, all the time, except during fireworks.

The other thing that worries me is this year she can't hold it near as long, but at least she's willing to pee on the parking lot - so if I can get her outside ...

Here's a plot point for something oppressively American - animal right campaigners celebrate big win against fur or animal testers with massive fireworks display outside animal shelter.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » July 3rd, 2019, 9:38 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:54 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:41 pm
If you really want to see John Wayne go full retard "Big Jim McLain" is a doozy of American far right paranoia.
:lol: :lol: :lol: This made me laugh. Haven't seen the film, but reading about it a bit and seeing the film's ridiculous poster, I imagine your description is highly accurate. Also of note: only 3 people on ICM have favorited Big Jim McLain, and one of them is
SpoilerShow
Cippenham. Quelle surprise? tehe
Spoiler click was a comedy gold moment!

flaiky

Post by flaiky » July 3rd, 2019, 1:43 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:26 pm
Totally forgot about this

Okay this is amazing.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 3rd, 2019, 4:21 pm

We also need something SWJ-approved, like the new Ghostbusters film. Ran into this today, isn't rewriting history fun!

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 4:23 pm

i think you meant SJW feminazis. we're taking over the world :D
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 3rd, 2019, 4:26 pm

RBG wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 4:23 pm
i think you meant SJW feminazis. we're taking over the world :D
Just try taking America back first!

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 4:48 pm

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 4:57 pm

aren't they both dead
Last edited by RBG on July 3rd, 2019, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 3rd, 2019, 4:58 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 4:21 pm
We also need something SWJ-approved, like the new Ghostbusters film. Ran into this today, isn't rewriting history fun!
I don't get it. Could you explain why it needs to be included in a kid's film in all future copies?

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 4:59 pm

exactly

how else will kids know those slutty barbies slept their way to the top
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 3rd, 2019, 5:04 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 4:58 pm
I don't get it. Could you explain why it needs to be included in a kid's film in all future copies?
I don't need to explain it. The makers put it there, it was part of the film. Just leave it in. It's just a dumb joke.

MovieSchmuck

Post by MovieSchmuck » July 3rd, 2019, 5:05 pm

Quick useless fact re the fireworks issue. When Dawson City, capital of the Klondike, held it's Canada/4th of July party during the gold rush, they didn't have fireworks. So they set off dynamite. Nobody got hurt...

but all the dogs left town.

albajos

Post by albajos » July 3rd, 2019, 5:11 pm

The answer to the OP is of course Rocky IV

where Balboa ends the cold war by punching someone
Last edited by albajos on July 3rd, 2019, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 3rd, 2019, 5:12 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:04 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 4:58 pm
I don't need to explain it. The makers put it there, it was part of the film. Just leave it in. It's just a dumb joke.
Could you explain the joke? is it kid appropriate?

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 5:14 pm

that 'dumb joke' is just a tiny part of centuries of oppression of women

anyways sorry for the derail! i'm out! :hmph: i just have to call out that bullshit when i see it
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 3rd, 2019, 5:24 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:12 pm
It doesn't need to be. Kids won't get it, adults will. There are many such jokes in US animation films aimed at children.
Some will laugh, others won't. And on the off chance that some kid does get it, it's not magically going to turn him/her into a misogynist.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 3rd, 2019, 5:29 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:24 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:12 pm
It doesn't need to be. Kids won't get it, adults will. There are many such jokes in US animation films aimed at children.
Some will laugh, others won't. And on the off chance that some kid does get it, it's not magically going to turn him/her into a misogynist.
Okay, but explain the joke to me in a way that I can explain it to my kids if they ask what's so funny about the scene.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 3rd, 2019, 5:32 pm

Explain it in the same way you explained Santa Claus to them.

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 5:34 pm

everyone knows SJWs have no sense of humor :whistling:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 3rd, 2019, 5:38 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:32 pm
Explain it in the same way you explained Santa Claus to them.
I'll take that as you backing down.
RBG wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:34 pm
everyone knows SJWs have no sense of humor :whistling:
Why are you attacking Single Jewish Women? :satstunned:

albajos

Post by albajos » July 3rd, 2019, 5:42 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:38 pm
Single Jewish Women? :satstunned:
Satan's Jealous Wombats

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 3rd, 2019, 5:46 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
Take it as me not going to give random parenting advise to a stranger. I have no clue how you are raising your kids, so I don't know how you should best explain such a joke to them. Maybe they are mature for their age and you can properly explain in context, maybe they can't handle it and you blatantly lie, maybe you just tell them they'll get it when they're older and tell them to leave it at that.

But exclude it from a film where it was originally a part of, just because you can't think of a way to handle your kids? No sir, that is your problem, not the world's.

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 5:48 pm

i wanna see you explain to your daughter that sometimes women have to give sexual favors if they want the job. hilarious!
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:46 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
Take it as me not going to give random parenting advise to a stranger. I have no clue how you are raising your kids, so I don't know how you should best explain such a joke to them. Maybe they are mature for their age and you can properly explain in context, maybe they can't handle it and you blatantly lie, maybe you just tell them they'll get it when they're older and tell them to leave it at that.

But exclude it from a film where it was originally a part of, just because you can't think of a way to handle your kids? No sir, that is your problem, not the world's.
I mean, if you can't think of a way to explain a joke in a kid's movie to kids.. Maybe you should re-think your stance on it belonging in a kid's movie? Or even your description of it being a joke and not just an actually pretty terrible thing?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 3rd, 2019, 6:45 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm
I mean, if you can't think of a way to explain a joke in a kid's movie to kids.. Maybe you should re-think your stance on it belonging in a kid's movie? Or even your description of it being a joke and not just an actually pretty terrible thing?
Well, first of all many will contest that Pixar films are purely aimed at "children". They often contain jokes that go right over kids' heads, but are there for adults to pick up.
Secondly, you could just explain the joke, but again, I'm not the parent of your kids. If you take offense, just make sure you kill the end credits before the joke appears.
Finally, if you can't separate comedy from the subjects they are based on ...

Well, I guess that brings us back to my original point. Ghostbusters was it?

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 3rd, 2019, 7:49 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 6:45 pm
Well, first of all many will contest that Pixar films are purely aimed at "children". They often contain jokes that go right over kids' heads, but are there for adults to pick up.
Secondly, you could just explain the joke, but again, I'm not the parent of your kids. If you take offense, just make sure you kill the end credits before the joke appears.
Finally, if you can't separate comedy from the subjects they are based on ...
Okay, explain the joke to me. I'm not a kid. Should be easy, right?

RBG

Post by RBG » July 3rd, 2019, 8:03 pm

clearly he isn't offended and doesn't care if anyone else is. we deal with these types daily. it isn't worth the argument

also he apparently has me on ignore now :folded: i think i'll return the favor
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 3rd, 2019, 8:06 pm

albajos wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:42 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
Single Jewish Women? :satstunned:
Satan's Jealous Wombats
No, Sarcastic Jamaican Waitresses

sol can find me here

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 3rd, 2019, 9:10 pm

RBG wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 8:03 pm
clearly he isn't offended and doesn't care if anyone else is. we deal with these types daily. it isn't worth the argument

also he apparently has me on ignore now :folded: i think i'll return the favor
I guess. Still, it's on topic. Being oppressively American means never admitting you're wrong, especially when you're wrong.

Also, comedy is serious business.