Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

What are the most "oppressively American" films?

maxwelldeux
Donator

What are the most "oppressively American" films?

Post by maxwelldeux » July 1st, 2019, 11:01 pm

Wife and I traditionally stay inside and watch movies on July 4th (Independence Day), as we have dogs scared of loud booms. This tradition started with our dogs (obviously) and when my wife asked me to go get the most American movie we owned, and I came back with Team America: World Police, the exact movie she was thinking of.

So I ask y'all: What are the most "oppressively American" movies?

Especially curious to compare thoughts from people in the US with people outside the US.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 1st, 2019, 11:09 pm

The Green Berets maybe? In the sense of overwrought patriotism and manifest destiny and all that, anyway.

I have often watched the Back to the Future trilogy on the 4th, for whatever reason it speaks to a lot of things about America that I either like or am nostalgic for, but I wouldn't make any claims for it as particularly representative of America at either it's best or worst, it's just a personal thing. The same director's Forrest Gump might be a more obvious choice.

I don't know, I'm looking for things to watch myself, and it will likely be both hot AND thunder-stormy on the 4th here, so I sure as hell am not going to be outside unless going to see something on the big screen, and what's playing? Shit.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 1st, 2019, 11:18 pm

Would Mr. Freedom count? It's very anti-American, but it's a superhero film of a man that's America personified.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » July 1st, 2019, 11:33 pm

When you say "oppressively American", do you mean the first movie that comes to mind when you think "American movie"? Or a movie that realistically portrays America? Or a movie that exaggerates American stereotypes to feel even more American?

When people from other countries think of American movies, they probably think of big budget movies, e.g. superhero movies.

An example of a recent realistic American movie would be Boyhood. This is just the first one that came to mind, but there may be others that are more realistic.

I'm not sure which movies exaggerate American stereotypes. I would have to think about it more.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » July 1st, 2019, 11:48 pm

As someone from outside the U.S., I'd have to say currently most Marvel movies are the most gratingly annoying American movies to have inculcated popular culture in general (Captain America himself being one of the most respected superheroes is telling), but that definitely comes from a personal bias of mine too.

Trey Parker & Matt Stone -- I completely agree -- greatly subvert & mock the trope of the "American saviour" narrative in Team America, though at the same time I'm reminded of the hilarious South Park episode where the English navy attempt another attack against America (I think it was the one with Hilary Clinton visiting South Park, with the dramatic structure based as if it was of one of those "24" episodes), which could also be a good one to see with respect to American independence.

But if we go about films that challenge America's military activities in the 2000s, Jarhead would be the main war movie I'm thinking of as well, despite it being purposefully uneventful.
The Dark Knight in terms of the issues with upholding societal values in the face of chaos, but that's such a rich film it could be seen by anyone.
There Will Be Blood is a great one in terms of depicting the Anglophone individualistic-capitalistic-succeeding-striving mentality, I imagine.
Lord of War comes to mind too.
Falling Down is up there in terms of "dealing-with-American-problematics" too, I suppose.
American Psycho... well, it's in the title I guess, not to say it's not universally applicable.

But I don't know, I've never been to the U.S. (yet!!), it's such a huge country, and I'm very much out of my element to be able to say anything of substance.

Personally I'm going to binge Stranger Things' 3rd season which apparently includes the 4th of July within its plot. :) <3 <3

Never too late for this xD

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 1st, 2019, 11:59 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:01 pm
Wife and I traditionally stay inside and watch movies on July 4th (Independence Day), as we have dogs scared of loud booms. This tradition started with our dogs (obviously) and when my wife asked me to go get the most American movie we owned, and I came back with Team America: World Police, the exact movie she was thinking of.

So I ask y'all: What are the most "oppressively American" movies?

Especially curious to compare thoughts from people in the US with people outside the US.
define, or at least qualify, "oppressively" please

and alas, remember that our Latin American neighbors are a bit affronted by the use of "American" when it excludes everyone who isn't in the USA. So, I guess https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/cidade+de+deus/ or the Battle for Chile trilogy or even https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/pvc-1/ are all very oppressive and very American. :P

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 2nd, 2019, 12:21 am

a fascinating question. I'll have to think on it. I immediately think in terms of American exceptionalism, entitlement, insensitivity ...

Point of Order (1964) is the first movie that came to mind as good to revisit this July 4.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 2nd, 2019, 12:38 am

Fascinating question, but so vague that ultimately I think any answer will say more about the person who gives it than it will about America or movies. If we got a more definite sense of what is meant by "oppressively American" than I'm sure I would have some ideas.

RBG

Post by RBG » July 2nd, 2019, 1:28 am

i know my favorite https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/my+son+john/

jesus and football will save america :circle: :cheers: :guns:

it's even in a list. also starship troopers (in many lists)

there are a lot of films that play to our illusions about ourselves that i find oppressive -- but it's hollywood, that's what they do there
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 2nd, 2019, 2:03 am

RBG wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 1:28 am

there are a lot of films that play to our illusions about ourselves that i find oppressive -- but it's hollywood, that's what they do there
hear, hear!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 2nd, 2019, 2:25 am

RBG wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 1:28 am

wonder if anyone has compiled a list: a MAGA guide to the greatest patriotic movies

I'm also thinking https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the+searchers/ would qualify
Chief Scar: Two sons - killed by white men... For each son, I take many scalps...
Martin: But I gotta go, Laurie, I gotta fetch her home.
Laurie Jorgensen: Fetch what home? The leavings a Comanche buck sold time and again to the highest bidder, with savage brats of her own?
Martin: Laurie, shut your mouth.
Laurie Jorgensen: Do you know what Ethan will do if he has a chance? He'll put a bullet in her brain.
Hell, most ole timey westerns are pretty "oppressively American" if people call you chief or squaw :cowbow:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

RBG

Post by RBG » July 2nd, 2019, 3:52 am

looking through my films to find something new to watch for the fourth and i think i've settled on brewster's millions (1945)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 2nd, 2019, 5:02 am

Independence Day is always a good go-to for extra-American patriotism.

Mars Attacks! also works in a silly way.

Red Dawn probably belongs on the list, too.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 2nd, 2019, 5:07 am

For me it has to be anything with a high school and the classic nerds/jocks divide.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » July 2nd, 2019, 6:01 am

Onderhond wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 5:07 am
For me it has to be anything with a high school and the classic nerds/jocks divide.
Yes, that's what I thought about immediately as well.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 2nd, 2019, 6:40 am

Sorry everyone - I had typed up a response earlier but it got stuck in limbo. Anyway...
mjf314 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:33 pm
When you say "oppressively American", do you mean the first movie that comes to mind when you think "American movie"? Or a movie that realistically portrays America? Or a movie that exaggerates American stereotypes to feel even more American?
Probably closest to the last one - movies that exaggerate stereotypes about America/Americans.

But also movies that just "ooze" America; where you watch them and can't help but feel like it's on the citizenship exam. Or where you fully expect to see a banner onscreen that says something to the effect of "this has been a paid commercial for the USA". Something like Bull Durham comes to mind.

Lots of good stuff already in this thread... I'm really digging the range of answers.

@XxXApathy420XxX: I was unfamiliar with Mr. Freedom, but dear god that sounds oppressively American... and likely to be our 4th of July watch (Oh, and Happy Canada Day!)

@xianjiro: Point taken and no offense is intended, but for lack of a better demonym...

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 2nd, 2019, 8:21 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 6:40 am
Sorry everyone - I had typed up a response earlier but it got stuck in limbo. Anyway...
mjf314 wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:33 pm
Probably closest to the last one - movies that exaggerate stereotypes about America/Americans.

But also movies that just "ooze" America; where you watch them and can't help but feel like it's on the citizenship exam. Or where you fully expect to see a banner onscreen that says something to the effect of "this has been a paid commercial for the USA". Something like Bull Durham comes to mind.

Lots of good stuff already in this thread... I'm really digging the range of answers.

@XxXApathy420XxX: I was unfamiliar with Mr. Freedom, but dear god that sounds oppressively American... and likely to be our 4th of July watch (Oh, and Happy Canada Day!)

@xianjiro: Point taken and no offense is intended, but for lack of a better demonym...
yeah, it always gets us in the end, but I like to show not all 'Mericans are egotistical and self-centered

And for something completely different, I keep coming back to Legally Blonde and maybe Sweet Home Alabama (ya know, fer all that down home on the plantation Southern charm.)

Y'all cum back now, y'hear.

sol can find me here

sebby

Post by sebby » July 2nd, 2019, 8:37 am

A Christmas Story was the first one that came to mind. But that's probably more emblematic of an older idea of the American stereotype. More of a Rockwellian blissfully ignorant working/lower middle class portrait of the suburban white American Dream.

Nowadays it's hard to think of something being overwhelmingly American without visions of bigotry, xenophobia and the military coming to the fore of one's mind. I haven't seen it but I feel like zero dark thirty seems like a good fit.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 2nd, 2019, 9:43 am

Rocky
Forrest Gump
Jaws (good for the 4th anyway)

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 2nd, 2019, 1:22 pm

I suppose I might finally get around to watching National Treasure, some of which was filmed in my neighborhood. After all, every right (=correct)-thinking person is going to celebrate the Fourth in Philly, not DC. Like when the Pope came, the streets will be deserted, Independence Park will be fenced off and there will be a soldier and a paddy wagon on every corner. Only access by foot across the Ben Franklin Bridge.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 2nd, 2019, 2:44 pm

There's always Yankee Doodle Dandy

RBG

Post by RBG » July 2nd, 2019, 2:48 pm

yankee doodle dandy is a fun film. cagney was an amazing dancer! 'the right stuff' is a good one

'national treasure' was the last movie i watched with my dad before he died. he LOVED it. i kept my opinion to myself :D
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 2nd, 2019, 2:57 pm

TCM, which always seems to make something out of holidays, is doing Yankee Doodle Dandy on the 4th, followed by 1776 which I haven't seen. Much as I love musicals, I dunno, 2 1/2 hours of sung patriotism might be too much for me.

Coincidental to this discussion, I'm off in a few minutes to attend the funeral of an uncle, a die-hard Republican, bigot, hunter/fisher, sports fan, a Catholic who went to mass every week no matter what for 80+ years, and union-buster. What could be more American? Thankfully most of my memories of him don't involve most of his dark side - he was a funny guy and actually fairly smart, and I suspect a lot of his more unpleasant personality traits have their origins in not having been able to go to college due to poverty and having a rather shiftless, drunken father. Another case of somebody falling into the rural-under-educated-American trap that has affected an awful lot of people I know.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » July 2nd, 2019, 3:41 pm

I guess I need to know whether you actually want to "enjoy" the experience or not. Also Team America World Police is deliberately ironic, so unless you think deliberate irony is "oppressively American", then look elsewhere.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is what I would add for oppressively American with no irony. OldAle1 also gave a good example with The Green Berets. If you really want to see John Wayne go full retard "Big Jim McLain" is a doozy of American far right paranoia.

Also Shane is probably as American as apple pie.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 2nd, 2019, 3:54 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:41 pm
If you really want to see John Wayne go full retard "Big Jim McLain" is a doozy of American far right paranoia.
:lol: :lol: :lol: This made me laugh. Haven't seen the film, but reading about it a bit and seeing the film's ridiculous poster, I imagine your description is highly accurate. Also of note: only 3 people on ICM have favorited Big Jim McLain, and one of them is
SpoilerShow
Cippenham. Quelle surprise? tehe
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 2nd, 2019, 3:55 pm

For me "oppressively American" is not just American-centric tropes and situations. It needs to involve unironic speeches about how great America is. That exceptionalism is what makes it both unique American and obnoxiously oppressive.

To my earlier list add The Patriot, The Right Stuff, Apollo 13, and maybe Armageddon or Die Hard

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 2nd, 2019, 5:59 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 2:57 pm
TCM, which always seems to make something out of holidays, is doing Yankee Doodle Dandy on the 4th, followed by 1776 which I haven't seen. Much as I love musicals, I dunno, 2 1/2 hours of sung patriotism might be too much for me.

Coincidental to this discussion, I'm off in a few minutes to attend the funeral of an uncle, a die-hard Republican, bigot, hunter/fisher, sports fan, a Catholic who went to mass every week no matter what for 80+ years, and union-buster. What could be more American? Thankfully most of my memories of him don't involve most of his dark side - he was a funny guy and actually fairly smart, and I suspect a lot of his more unpleasant personality traits have their origins in not having been able to go to college due to poverty and having a rather shiftless, drunken father. Another case of somebody falling into the rural-under-educated-American trap that has affected an awful lot of people I know.
don't know enough about your tastes, but I've always like 1776 since I first saw it as a kid way back when. Even upon rewatching as an adult I felt quite positive about it. I'd say it's less about patriotism and more about the battles inside the Continental Congress though it's very light-hearted. I can still hear lines of the music in my head since you brought it up. "Mr Adams, oh Mr Adams ... " Also, the relationship between the Adamses figures prominently. Last, I'd say the characters are fairly real by 'historical drama' standards in that they aren't marble statues. This might have been the first movie to stick a pin in that found fathers/great men myth BS.

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 2nd, 2019, 6:11 pm

This thread is even better than I could have imagined... thank you all for your responses! Keep 'em coming.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 2nd, 2019, 6:21 pm

sol can find me here

RBG

Post by RBG » July 2nd, 2019, 6:23 pm

i don't like this movie much
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 2nd, 2019, 6:28 pm

So, when are we going to do the 'most oppressively Hindustani' films? I just watched https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/1942+a+love+story/ and know I either commented or wrote and IMDb review of another film that felt oppressively patriotic. (Gist of which was, if this was made in the US, it would have been roundly condemned - and there was some school kids singing some crazy song about how super great their country is).

I only point this out since it's clearly not just a US phenomena. However, I can only think of these two examples were it really fits and is so overwhelming. Don't they make these films elsewhere? I bet they do: I probably just haven't seen them (yet).
Last edited by xianjiro on July 2nd, 2019, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 2nd, 2019, 6:30 pm

RBG wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 6:23 pm
SpoilerShow
i don't like this movie much
but isn't there a surprise twist coming? Like she-who-was-forced-on-voters popping out of the hatch and then telling the driver, "head straight for 1600 Pennsylvania Ave: I've got to take out the trash!"

sol can find me here

RBG

Post by RBG » July 2nd, 2019, 6:50 pm

:lol: that i would watch
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 2nd, 2019, 7:45 pm

I seem to remember enjoying 1776.

How about The Americanization of Emily?

Also John Sayles' Casa de los Babys (2003) if you want insensitivity and entitlement.

RBG

Post by RBG » July 2nd, 2019, 8:18 pm

that is a pretty great movie imo. my dad was a marine and i can tell you it is not unrealistic about the culture

ed harris was a great john glenn. i've probs seen that about 5 times tehe
Last edited by RBG on July 2nd, 2019, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 2nd, 2019, 8:26 pm

Totally forgot about this

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » July 2nd, 2019, 8:33 pm

RBG wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:18 pm
that is a pretty great movie imo. my dad was a marine and i can tell you it is not unrealistic about the culture

ed harris was a great john glenn. i've probs seen that about 5 times tehe
There's no excuse for Dennis Quaid's shit eating grin, ever...

I watched The Right Stuff for the first time last year and whilst I didn't find it to be a great film, I did find it pretty intriguing. The way science was depicted as a humble tool being pushed to it's limits and Sam Shepard starring as Chuck Yeager as Gary Cooper as a Wild Bill-esque cowboy in a perpetual twilight world.

Jordan Belson on point with the special effects as well.
Last edited by rnilsson19 on July 2nd, 2019, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RBG

Post by RBG » July 2nd, 2019, 8:34 pm

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG@arthur lol :lol: is that a real film??

and quaid is easily the most annoying character (in pretty much every film in which he appears). they couldn't all be perfect :circle:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

albajos

Post by albajos » July 2nd, 2019, 9:05 pm

Christmas with a Capital C
http://pureflixstudio.com/movies/christ ... capital-c/

The US is the only country I can think of where the majority behaves like they're persecuted.